3.50 star(s) 11 Votes

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
He told me it's easier to program than Ren'py. That's why he changed
I think I understand why he's reached that conclusion... but I kinda disagree.
I think during SSS ch1 thru ch5... he was doing just fine in RenPy. He knew his limitations and stuck within them.
In ch6, I think he cut-and-paste someone else's Truth-of-Dare mini-game into SSS and didn't really understand it. That said, he did a damned good job of adapting it - but didn't know how to fix the one game breaking bug that cropped up.
By ch13 he'd discovered "call" and used it often instead of "jump", without really understanding the need for "return". Had he stuck with jump - as he'd in previous chapters... I think things would have been fine. I blame that one single statement for why Cuntswell is written in VNM and not RenPy. It undermined the confidence he had in his own programming skill.

But the other thing that went wrong was losing track of previous branching story choices. He had all these flags and paths and it all got a bit too convoluted. I don't think it helped that that by the time he noticed, it was also about the same time he started using call statements - and so I think the two have gotten a little crisscrossed in his mind.
The other side to the same problem was the mutually exclusive paths that needed keeping developing. BDSM Gwen was so different from innocent Gwen that any scene that involved her for a while required twice the amount of work. I can see why the story went down the Submit/Resist route - but that too caused headaches that weren't really needed to continue telling the story.
Except RenPy wasn't to blame for those design choices. He could just as easily run into the same issues with VNM. They weren't even bad design choices (ish), just a little adventurous for a first game.
... and yet he still managed what so few devs actually do... and actually FINISHED it.

I think VNM will force a simpler gameplay style on Cuntswell, and maybe that's a good thing. But I think he could also have done exactly the same thing in RenPy and pulled it off better. I guess time will tell... and I really hope he pulls it off.

Obviously, this is all just guesswork on my part. I could so easily be wrong. No offence is intended, just an outside opinion.

Mar 5, 2018
I am a Patreon supporter of this artist, and I echo most of the sentiments listed here. For a novel that has to be read, font legibility must be a priority. The font needs to at least be changeble, and if not, changed to a more legible one. Cutesy theme aside, since VNs must be read, that means that anything that makes it harder to read is going against what the intent is. To put it in musical terms, it's like "producing" a track with vocals where all the levels are the same you can barely hear the singer over the instruments. I hope I made my point.

Also, not a huge fan of the new engine. At all. You have to click on a particular icon to advance each scene? Please research if there is a way to enable the space bar to do the same as in Ren'Py. I'm happy to see Gwen and Addison brought forward with the MC, and only hope that the story advances with Gwen and of course the rest of the harem I can see getting developed down the line. I too am mystified as to why the dev chose a new engine, but I am sure he has his reasons.
the enter key works to advance scene.. if you hadn't noticed yet.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I thought with this new version, I'd give the game a chance, because I always liked Sister, Sister, Sister.

So, to recapitulate. This sequel got rid of any girl I found in any way attractive in the previous game, especially my little Jennifer and her sexy red-head milf. Instead we get two girls I found barely acceptable (Gwen and cousin) AND add another character who is even more of a little kid body-type wise... sigh....
It also spots a worse engine which is so broken that when you load a save it's unplayable. And you already have to fiddle around just to be able to load the save...

And if you try to skip to the part where your unloadable save was, it's very likely that the game just hangs itself up completely...
What a complete disaster.

Reactions: User_130505

Richard Perkins

Jul 15, 2017
He could have gone with Tyranobuilder(thats what im using), i also own vnm but it still new and a lot more buggy. I really love renpy, but i just cant use it(not that it is difficult, but by the time i get something situated, they up and change it for me so what i've got written no longer works.)

JJsworld

Game Developer
Jun 17, 2018
I think it was a good start... Just wish it was longer, and a lilbit more action... All-in-all, I give it a thumbs up...

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Way too many dependencies on using sprites. It the lazy way to make a VN. I'm guessing because he is using Visual Noval Maker. but still just rendering backgrounds and doing sprites lazy work.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on the use of sprites. If they are used effectively they can really facilitate a story and make the production much faster. See Daughter for Dessert (Palmer) as an example. In this one, in addition to the engine blowing massive chunks, the sprites are all over the place and not done consistently, which takes away from the story and is distracting.

Reactions: botc76

jimmifh

Oct 11, 2018
i simply cannot get the mac version working.
Just says the application "game" cannot be opened?
i am fairly new to mac so what the f*** am i doing wrong

Paitryn

Mar 10, 2017
Please tell me this will be an actual chapter and not what you call .1, .2, etc.? That wasn't a chapter, thats a treatment on the back of the book. Its getting annoying with the chapter based releases that developers are just renaming their versions chapters.

Nightphysics

Jun 11, 2018
So... Besides of the obvious mechanical and UI issues of this game, there are some positives with the game. So we finally get to see the rogue student of Alessia and Gwen is there. That Jennifer is not part of the party is sad and the older sisters might make an appearance later hopefully, so I'm not going to judge the lack of characters from Sisterx3 that were actually interesting and/or endearing. I liked Dalia and her mom and to have the feminist teacher and the dean to be so antagonistic makes the tone of the game quite clear. If Hitomi will be an antagonist or a teacher with temptress moods, is to be seen but on the other hand Alessia had the same position as either Sensei or enemy which I liked.

Yet the ending of Sisterx3 was rushed as it seemed that the Dev really had issues with programming with each subsequent chapter because he wanted to implement mechanics that he didn't plan for from the start. Here the issue is his obvious inexperience with the new engine and I agree with most of the others here, that he should've banked on his experience with RenPy and make the game more well thought from the start but he chose a different engine would solve all those problems. I will have to violently disagree with that idea and I won't be happy being proven right as I really like the first chapters of Sisterx3 and if it was all the way through like that without that free-roam house or the truth or dare and more char development and nice sex scenes, I would've really liked that game but it suffered from too much experimenting which is why I didn't mind the abrupt ending in the end too much.

We'll see if the Dev might just learn the new engine faster and better but I'm not keeping my hopes up. The next two chapters will decide it's fate...

Reactions: botc76 and 215303j

HorizonD

Apr 25, 2018
Hopefully, he will not mess up the paths as he did in SSS like skipping scenes and you have done things you haven't done.
You can argue about the choice of models but Gwen, Addison and the little girl are not my thing. Let's see who else is coming.

Reactions: botc76
3.50 star(s) 11 Votes