• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN Ren'Py Cultural Replay: A Culture Shock Fanwork [v0.32] [Palos69]

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Who's your favorite girl?

• Sunny

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tracy

• Karla

• Sophie

• Other

• Total voters

Palos69

Game Developer
Feb 8, 2021
This one was a slog. The scope of the update just kept getting bigger. I’ll reserve a few days to respond to comments, record feedback, and release a patch (if necessary), but then I’m going to take some time off so I can enjoy the weather and focus more on my job hunt.

Because I’m rearranging entire days and composing custom scenes now, it was hard to keep the change log organized on what scene was from what day, etc. For the most part, if an OG scene was touched, I tried to make note of it.

As always, the saves are probably incompatible.

Major Features:
- Day 9 and 10 added.
- First major NTR sequence added. This is the entry point for "a" NTR route, not "the" route. There will be other variations of NTR in future releases.
- Gallery feature was re-added, but it doesn’t have all the scenes and there are some bugs. See below in the dev notes for why this is. I’ll be doing some refactoring in the next update that should allow me to add more of them in the future.
- The route for the mother romance now has clear entry points. This prevents the romance from bleeding into non-mother playthroughs.
- Karla romance opened to beta players.
- The sex scene on Day 8 has been opened to non-NTR alpha players. High love versions of that route have been removed to be reintegrated further along their routes.
- Maude romance scene reintegrated and moved to Day 7.
- Major rewrites in almost all days.

The Change Log for 0.30, Developer Notes.

Feature Roadmap for 0.35 has been added to the first post in the thread.

---

Change Log Version 0.30 (Day 9 and 10):
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
---

Developer Notes:
I have a lot more respect for the larger visual novels out there. It’s easy to see how many games develop story issues if you don't have it completely planned out. I spent 10+ hours on the Marcus/Sister scene alone. I can also see why a lot of games die before completion or use really simplified choice structures with copy/paste walls of text.

Luckily, the detail-oriented script complexity is the part I like the most, so I won’t be doing the latter.

On the Rewrites:
I used to work as a copy editor at a university, so I was taught to edit without replacing the original voice. But it does seem to me that the rumored multiple writers for the game might be accurate. There are definitely style changes and strange plot pivots. In my opinion, the Delamar investigation plot line was clearly meant to be BNWO before they made it “Maoi”. All the elements are there. I’m not going to change the story to BNWO, but if there’s interest, I could see myself adding a custom route when I get closer to the end and if the OG game is still in development.

I was initially conservative about some changes in the earlier releases, but now that I have a better feel for the flow and where the story is going, I've started going back and rewriting entire sections. The first of those edits are in this update. And after going through the dialogue in those early days, I can now better understand the initial criticism that nothing had been changed.

On the Gallery:
I added the requested Gallery feature back into the game. Because of the amount of code regression I experienced, I would not be surprised if there were bugs. I tested it, but there is only so much manual testing I can stand and I don't do it every time I change a scene. Let me know if you guys run into anything, and I'll fix issues as they come up. Some sex scenes will have defaulted titles which are non-incest. Toggling this on and off for each name is not possible without a major change.

Also note, not every piece of NSFW content is in the gallery. I’ll probably add them as I get further alone. Some scenes are shorter than they would be in the game, as the scenes were chopped up to account for different variables. Because of how much change happens every release, the new scenes for this update will not be in the gallery and will be added retroactively.

To better my ability to add scenes to the gallery, I am going to start refactoring the relevant sections of the code-base. The first thing will be a family toggle. That should cut down on a lot of the issues and I should be able to add most scenes to the gallery normally.

I’ve also removed the status-based variable function that would pull in flavor text for different types of play. It was incompatible with the gallery. It also created issues with some of the built-in Renpy tools and I suspect it may have had an effect on some 3rd party applications being used by some users.

I know it was one of my selling points early on in the project, but now that I'm more comfortable rewriting scenes and making custom ones, I don't really think they're necessary. The best of that dialogue has been reintegrated as conditional text in the script.

On the Poll:
I’ve been pretty adamant about not making money on this project and that hasn’t changed. However, I would like to get a license for an AI Upscaler and Color Balancer to address some of the issues in the renders. In a previous post (my last post on page 14), I attached examples of what these renders would look like. So if people want this feature and are fine with it, I would like to open up the project for donations temporarily to reduce the cost or until I reach the total cost of the software, which is currently priced at $199 + tax.

I'm only using the poll to get a pulse on what fans of the project think of the proposal on ethical grounds. I'll make a judgement call based on a combination of the poll, the thread, and private messages.

If people aren’t comfortable with it, I won’t do it. And I’ll buy the license myself in the future. But I’m just not sure when that would be. The job market is pretty rough right now for my field.

Do note that when I compress the images, the results of any upscaling will diminish, though I think they still might come out better than the originals.

The main issue it will be fixing is the color balance. For some reason, a lot of the OG renders are aggressively warm color-wise and I’m wondering if it was caused by an error in the compression process. See the attached images in my previous post on page 14 for examples. For some reason, Elena and the mother look like lobsters.

I’ll also be able to remove elements from a render (like the misspelled text messages in the phone renders), change the lighting, and will keep higher resolution images of certain renders so I can change the “view” in scenes with limited images to extend it.

I had the idea, of which I’m not sure about the feasibility, to distribute packs of higher resolution images that you can manually insert into your desktop image folder once the images.rpa is extracted. Just playing around with the demo of the software made me realize how much is being lost by the compression.

The product in question:

Last edited:

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Game Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
Cultural Replay: A Culture Shock Fanwork [v0.30] [Palos69]

COMPRESSED:

Win/Linux:
- - -

Mac:
- - -

youraccount69

Dec 30, 2020
CulturalReplayACultureShockFanwork-0.30
rpdl torrents are unaffiliated with F95Zone and the game developer.
Please note that we do not provide support for games.
For torrent-related issues use here, or join us on !
, . Downloading issues? Look here.
Want to join the team? Read more here!

Kadajko

Oct 28, 2021
It is a nice game but considering how many choices there are and those choices being important I don't like that there are forced sex scenes.

Reactions: Palos69

pavan23559

Sep 16, 2021
This one was a slog. The scope of the update just kept getting bigger. I’ll reserve a few days to release a patch (if necessary), but then I’m going to take some time off so I can enjoy the weather and focus more on my job hunt.

Because I’m rearranging entire days and composing custom scenes now, it was hard to keep the change log organized on what scene was from what day, etc. For the most part, if an OG scene was touched, I tried to make note of it.

Major Features:
- Day 9 and 10 added.
- First major NTR sequence added. This is the entry point for "a" NTR route, not "the" route. There will be other variations of NTR in future releases.
- Gallery feature was re-added, but it doesn’t have all the scenes and there are some bugs. See below in the dev notes for why this is. I’ll be doing some refactoring in the next update that should allow me to add more of them in the future.
- The route for the mother romance now has clear entry points. This prevents the romance from bleeding into non-mother playthroughs.
- The sex scene on Day 8 has been opened to non-NTR alpha players. High love versions of that route have been removed to be reintegrated further along their routes.

The Change Log for 0.30, Developer Notes, and Feature Roadmap for 0.35 are below.

---

---

Developer Notes:
I have a lot more respect for the larger visual novels out there. It’s easy to see how many games develop story issues if you don't have it completely planned out. I spent 10+ hours on the Marcus/Sister scene alone. I can also see why a lot of games die before completion or use really simplified choice structures with copy/paste walls of text.

Luckily, the detail-oriented script complexity is the part I like the most, so I won’t be doing the latter.

On the Rewrites:
I used to work as a copy editor at a university, so I was taught to edit without replacing the original voice. But it does seem to me that the rumored multiple writers for the game might be accurate. There are definitely style changes and strange plot pivots. In my opinion, the Delamar investigation plot line was clearly meant to be BNWO before they made it “Maoi”. All the elements are there. I’m not going to change the story to BNWO, but if there’s interest, I could see myself adding a custom route when I get closer to the end and if the OG game is still in development.

I was initially conservative about some changes in the earlier releases, but now that I have a better feel for the flow and where the story is going, I've started going back and rewriting entire sections. The first of those edits are in this update. And after going through the dialogue in those early days, I can now better understand the initial criticism that nothing had been changed.

On the Gallery:
I added the requested Gallery feature back into the game. Because of the amount of code regression I experienced, I would not be surprised if there were bugs. I tested it, but there is only so much manual testing I can stand and I don't do it every time I change a scene. Let me know if you guys run into anything, and I'll fix issues as they come up. Some sex scenes will have defaulted titles which are non-incest. Toggling this on and off for each name is not possible without a major change.

Also note, not every piece of NSFW content is in the gallery. I’ll probably add them as I get further alone. Some scenes are shorter than they would be in the game, as the scenes were chopped up to account for different variables. Because of how much change happens every release, the new scenes for this update will not be in the gallery and will be retroactively.

To better my ability to add scenes to the gallery, I am going to start refactoring the relevant sections of the code-base. The first thing will be a family toggle. That should cut down on a lot of the issues and I should be able to add most scenes to the gallery normally.

I’ve also removed the status-based variable function that would pull in flavor text for different types of play. It was incompatible with the gallery. It also created issues with some of the built-in Renpy tools and I suspect it may have had an effect on some 3rd party applications being used by some users.

I know it was one of my selling points early on in the project, but now that I'm more comfortable rewriting scenes and making custom ones, I don't really think they're necessary. The best of that dialogue has been reintegrated as conditional text in the script.

On the Poll:
I’ve been pretty adamant about not making money on this project and that hasn’t changed. However, I would like to get a license for an AI Upscaler and Color Balancer to address some of the issues in the renders. In a previous post (my last post on page 14), I attached examples of what these renders would look like. So if people want this feature and are fine with it, I would like to open up the project for donations temporarily to reduce the cost or until I reach the total cost of the software, which is currently priced at $199 + tax.

I'm only using the poll to get a pulse on what fans of the project think of the proposal on ethical grounds. I'll make a judgement call based on a combination of the poll, the thread, and private messages.

If people aren’t comfortable with it, I won’t do it. And I’ll buy the license myself in the future. But I’m just not sure when that would be. The job market is pretty rough right now for my field.

Do note that when I compress the images, the results of any upscaling will diminish, though I think they still might come out better than the originals.

The main issue it will be fixing is the color balance. For some reason, a lot of the OG renders are aggressively warm color-wise and I’m wondering if it was caused by an error in the compression process. See the attached images in my previous post for an example. For some reason, Elena and the mother look like lobsters.

I’ll also be able to remove elements from a render (like the misspelled text messages in the phone renders), change the lighting, and will keep higher resolution images of certain renders so I can change the “view” in scenes with limited images to extend it.

I had the idea, of which I’m not sure about the feasibility, to distribute packs of higher resolution images that you can manually insert into your desktop image folder once the images.rpa is extracted. Just playing around with the demo of the software made me realize how much is being lost by the compression.

The product in question:

---

Planned Features for Release 0.35:
This game does have a great alpha/vanilla path too. Please be open to focus on that too....

Gerald521

Dec 13, 2017
I really like this game. I noticed it was a rework. Is this better than the prior or what has actually changed between the original and this one?

Palos69

Game Developer
Feb 8, 2021
It is a nice game but considering how many choices there are and those choices being important I don't like that there are forced sex scenes.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by forced sex scenes? If you're talking about the Aunt content, the next release will have clear entry points for her route so you can avoid them. In the OG game, a lot of the scenes just bleed together and I've been working to decouple them for a while.

If you're talking about being able to pick and choose which sex scenes to accept in a playthrough, I would have to think about that one. I like the idea in theory, but it might get difficult to write around if I want to keep the same detail-oriented scripting. I also want to keep some of the agency for the other characters.

This game does have a great alpha/vanilla path too. Please be open to focus on that too....
Not every release will have content for each type of path. But to be fair, there are technically more alpha/vanilla sex scenes in the rework right now than NTR ones.

One of the goals of the project was to expand the Alpha path from the original game. It probably will not be on par with the NTR one when the rework is finished, but I'm hoping it will be an improvement from the original.

I really like this game. I noticed it was a rework. Is this better than the prior or what has actually changed between the original and this one?
If you check the change log spoiler on the first post in the thread, I try to list any major deviance from the OG game.

And whether it's better is subjective, I know there are some who liked some of the elements I cut, like the jerking off on sleeping women, corruption mechanic, etc.

But I would just try the original, it's currently at Day 35 and it's linked on the first post in the thread.

Last edited:
  • Yay, new update!
Reactions: Lerd0

Kadajko

Oct 28, 2021
But also, I just want to say, this one mofo just won't take a hint, it is not a sex scene but so annoying:
Screenshot 2024-04-15 032223.png
1st time I leave and fck off.
Screenshot 2024-04-15 032452.png
Second time I fck off.

She still ends up touching mah dick:
Screenshot 2024-04-15 032934.png
And getting naked:
Screenshot 2024-04-15 032755.png

Lady I don't want you.

And it is a super minor nitpick, which.. for my path specifically it doesn't really matter that much, but there is this thing where - avoiding girls that I am not interested in very often results in MC being awkward and getting beta points, but I am avoiding them just because I am not interested in that particular girl, not because I want MC to be a beta.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Gudil and Palos69

fnnn90

Jul 24, 2022
This one was a slog. The scope of the update just kept getting bigger. I’ll reserve a few days to release a patch (if necessary), but then I’m going to take some time off so I can enjoy the weather and focus more on my job hunt.

Major Features:
- Day 9 and 10 added.

The Change Log for 0.30, Developer Notes, and Feature Roadmap for 0.35 are below.

---

---

Developer Notes:

On the Rewrites:

On the Gallery:

Also note, not every piece of NSFW content is in the gallery. I’ll probably add them as I get further alone. Some scenes are shorter than they would be in the game, as the scenes were chopped up to account for different variables. Because of how much change happens every release, the new scenes for this update will not be in the gallery and will be added retroactively.

On the Poll:

The main issue it will be fixing is the color balance. For some reason, a lot of the OG renders are aggressively warm color-wise and I’m wondering if it was caused by an error in the compression process. See the attached images in my previous post on page 14 for examples. For some reason, Elena and the mother look like lobsters.

The product in question:

---

Planned Features for Release 0.35:
Hi, my question is out of place, but could you tell me some tutorials or where I can learn renpy?

Madarahyuuga

Feb 6, 2020
In the drinking game with James Sunny Marcus and Sophie in the original it is possible to see Sunny with cum on her body. In this case, is this removed?

Tanix Goal

Oct 10, 2017
Just a quick suggestion,
The original game isnt good enough. The mother look too young.. the girl way too bitchy, the mom tranform just like kamen rider from conservative to cock hungry woman. this is just an average game.

If you want to use another person asset, why not making Dual Family and make finish the stupid dev's project. more people willing to pay and support you for sure.

Timesucker

Apr 3, 2024
You are a young man who has just moved to Hawaii with his beautiful mother and sister.
Beaches. Babes. What more could a guy ask for?
Juggle multiple relationships.
Or watch as other men steal your prospects and loved ones away.
Star Trek - Kirk And McCoy.JPG
Bones, would you Juggle multiple relationships? Or watch as other men steal your prospects and loved ones away?
Jim, WTF?

The game looks interesting.
Thanks, Palos69

Palos69

Game Developer
Feb 8, 2021
But also, I just want to say, this one mofo just won't take a hint, it is not a sex scene but so annoying:

Lady I don't want you.
Unfortunately, she's going to keep showing up, but her content won't escalate unless pursued. I have a rough idea for an exit point for uninterested MC's, but it's subject to change.

Hi, my question is out of place, but could you tell me some tutorials or where I can learn renpy?
My recommendation, which spawned this project, is to find a popular renpy game that's been around for a while. Then crack it open with rpatool and look at the .rpy files to experiment with.

I do this a lot for games that have mechanics or visual displays that interest me. I initially opened Culture Shock to learn how to use the engine to create animations from still images.

If I had to pick a game to start from today, I think the game "Our Red String" has a lot to offer. Last time I checked, the codebase was well organized and it uses a lot of popular mechanics that are common in other games.

Feel free to crack this game open, too. I try to integrate my learnings from other games. I use a more traditional software organization style, though it's definitely not perfect. A lot of games I've looked at it keep all their classes and script code in one file, which is not what I would have done given the size of their games. If you have any questions about any of my code, feel free to message me and I'll try to answer when I can. My modifications are primarily in the script folder.

Once you have working example code to look at, the official documentation is a lot less daunting. And your learning will be a lot more effective with the visual feedback.

In the drinking game with James Sunny Marcus and Sophie in the original it is possible to see Sunny with cum on her body. In this case, is this removed?
Yes, it was removed from this version for story and characterization reasons. I said in a previous post somewhere, but I don't think this version of the MC would be okay with other men sexually assaulting his sister, especially not men he just met.

I originally tried writing around it, but every version of the scene was ridiculous and didn't mesh well with the rest. If someone wanted to make some fan renders of James and Marcus in prison, I could make it an early bad end. I still have an outline of a partial route to this bad end but the renders just weren't there to support it.
Is Emma's dad the Grinch? Resemblance is uncanny!
Ooph, that Emma dialogue. Woof.

Thanks for pointing that out. That'll get changed for the next release. I'll credit you in the change log, if you want.

And yeah, the renders can be hit or miss, especially in the early days. I've had to completely remove some of them because of how jarring they are. They get a lot better about halfway through the OG. I'm hoping the AI software will allow me to add more detail to her face so it doesn't look like it's copy and pasted on. I think it's mainly a compression problem that smoothed out details, but I'm not sure.
Just a quick suggestion,
The original game isnt good enough. The mother look too young.. the girl way too bitchy, the mom tranform just like kamen rider from conservative to cock hungry woman. this is just an average game.

If you want to use another person asset, why not making Dual Family and make finish the stupid dev's project. more people willing to pay and support you for sure.
I mainly do this for fun, but I'll at least check it out. It must be pretty good if people want it finished.

I've said it before, but a rewrite of this scale wouldn't be possible without the amount of renders that the OG game had. Most of the enjoyment for me comes from being able to craft entirely different scenes and storylines. Also, I have too much free time on my hands right now because I'm unemployed and bored.

Last edited:

fishbrain

Engaged Member
Apr 9, 2018
Ooph, that Emma dialogue. Woof.

Thanks for pointing that out. That'll get changed for the next release. I'll credit you in the change log, if you want.

And yeah, the renders can be hit or miss, especially in the early days. I've had to completely remove some of them because of how jarring they are. They get a lot better about halfway through the OG. I'm hoping the AI software will allow me to add more detail to her face so it doesn't look like it's copy and pasted on. I think it's mainly a compression problem that smoothed out details, but I'm not sure.
Oh shit, nah bro I was just commenting on her face in that render, reminded me of the Grinch from Dr Seuss. lol I didn't notice anything specifically bad about her dialogue just found her facial expression comical.

• Haha

Palos69

Game Developer
Feb 8, 2021
Oh shit, nah bro I was just commenting on her face in that render, reminded me of the Grinch from Dr Seuss. lol I didn't notice anything specifically bad about her dialogue just found her facial expression comical.
For an alleged genius, it's such a funnily redundant line.

"I'm undecided because I couldn't decide."

Like, no shit Emma.

She has quite a few funny expressions. Here's one I cut out. No matter what I had her say, it was never not funny to me because of her bug face.

day7abio7.jpg

And it is a super minor nitpick, which.. for my path specifically it doesn't really matter that much, but there is this thing where - avoiding girls that I am not interested in very often results in MC being awkward and getting beta points, but I am avoiding them just because I am not interested in that particular girl, not because I want MC to be a beta.
That's good feedback. I'll record it and see what I can do in the future.

I'm not sure when it will be implemented, but it's a reasonable feature add, and one that's actually possible without too much extra work.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote