• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.
4.30 star(s) 10 Votes

DuskDuck

Game Developer
Aug 19, 2023
Hi, I got a case of "out of video memory trying to allocate a rendering resource". I can run game like Octopath traveler just fine, so can you tell me the requirement to to run the game on laptop https://f95zone.to/members/duskduck.6419558/
This probably the problems from my end. I may not optimize the video loader of the game. Join my discord and give more detail on the issue on bug-report channel, i will try to resolve it.

Before I Forget

Sep 4, 2021
I have years of experience with C++ and Unreal, so instead of wasting time learning Python for Ren'Py, I think this is better.
You're preaching to the choir, sadly. No matter how well designed UE games are people are convinced that renpy is the only way to go for whatever reason.

This looks great, BTW.

Reactions: timiko

f45450

Oct 21, 2021
Hi, I got a case of "out of video memory trying to allocate a rendering resource".
It seems for this game you need 8+ gigs RAM at very least. My RAM load is 9 gigs with the game launched.
Also, I hope you did not touch a virtual memory allocation (AKA pagefile). Despite what the 20-year-old "optimisation guides" say, in modern OSes it does carry a tad bit more complex task than "garbage dump for unused memory code" :)
It is literally just a slide show game, without any crazy UE graphic stuff. So i am sure that it can run on a potato...
Kinda laggy on 10 yo laptop (intel 3230m) despite 16 gigs RAM. Too heavy for HD 3000 I guess :) Renpy would run just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gilber_bestram@176

DeUglyOne

Bite Me!
Donor
Sep 1, 2017
Looking at the tags/planned tags:

Harem, Romance and...
Prostitution
Not a very healthy combination for Harem or Romance fans.

Second request now for you to clarify that.

DuskDuck

Game Developer
Aug 19, 2023
It seems for this game you need 8+ gigs RAM at very least. My RAM load is 9 gigs with the game launched.
Also, I hope you did not touch a virtual memory allocation (AKA pagefile). Despite what the 20-year-old "optimisation guides" say, in modern OSes it does carry a tad bit more complex task than "garbage dump for unused memory code" :)

Kinda laggy on 10 yo laptop (intel 3230m) despite 16 gigs RAM. Too heavy for HD 3000 I guess :) Renpy would run just fine.
It is seem like the video loader problem really serious. I will works on a hotfix to resolve this in the next few days.

bitsybobs3

Ultimate Torrent Dude
Donor
Jun 13, 2021
CrossRealms-0.1
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
rpdl torrents are unaffiliated with F95Zone and the game developer.
Please note that we do not provide support for games.
For torrent-related issues use here, or join us on !
, . Downloading issues? Look here.​

f45450

Oct 21, 2021
It is seem like the video loader problem really serious. I will works on a hotfix to resolve this in the next few days.
Yeah, the CPU is not really busy (around 1/4 load mostly). Well, it is still playable even on such potato because not a 3D roamer but a VN clicker.

Elde

Feb 11, 2020
It is literally just a slide show game, without any crazy UE graphic stuff. So i am sure that it can run on a potato...
No it doesn't i got a fatal error when i try your game xD just know that a lot of poeple will not be able to play your game or experience heavy lag, i would recommand ren'py too ^^ but do your thing you can't satisfy everyone :) good luck with your game the preview pic look good

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
You're preaching to the choir, sadly. No matter how well designed UE games are people are convinced that renpy is the only way to go for whatever reason.

This looks great, BTW.
While I always feel a game dev should use the tools they're comfortable with, for VNs in particular, there are few tools with as many built-in conveniences and VN-specific UX features as Ren'Py, so a dev using a tool other than Ren'Py has to code most of those conveniences or features into the engine themselves if they want to approach the user-friendliness of Ren'Py. That's why the resistance against non-Ren'Py games exists.

UE in particular is most often used for representing the 3D models and space in real-time. If it's not being used for that, it is unequivocally far more than a game needs, and is a huge waste of resource utilization. This game even uses Honey Select models/maps for the visuals, so it isn't even using UE for the model or scene rendering.

As for the conveniences I mentioned above, these are all literally native in Ren'Py with virtually no effort:
  • Text/Scene Rollback
  • Native infinite save space and easy/quick save/load including rollback history
  • Native persistent memory of which scenes have been seen
  • Native text controls (size, font, etc.)
  • Native ability to switch graphic renderer on the fly
  • Native/default ability to advance screens with space, Enter, or click
  • Native/default right-click for menu
  • Easy variable adjustments via URM or similar tools without any programming knowledge required
  • Easy human-readable access to the game's code, script, and images
  • Easy modding

Ratnedalu

Jan 11, 2018
You'd be surprised. A lot of VNs run on Unity/UE tend to be hungry despite being pure or almost-pure VNs (i.e, minor dating sim mechanics)

You really only need an advanced engine for something advanced-- for instance, Sunrider's first games came out on Ren'Py and the amount of actual game mechanics (it's a turn-based space battle game with VN elements) caused it to crash with constant memory issues. The newest one is on Unity, I think, now?

But yeah. Rule of thumb is, UE and Unity tend to just *exist* clunky as VNs, without any bells and whistles. The two viable VN models are Ren'Py and RPGM (if you know how to work RPGM into a VN model like a few devs such as Siren's Domain have.)
I have years of experience with C++ and Unreal, so instead of wasting time learning Python for Ren'Py, I think this is better.
Also, if I'm gonna be honest, I have no coding skill or experience whatsoever (tried to learn LUA for ROBLOX when I was a kid, bought a book that had a typo and got frustrated because I kept getting it wrong but couldn't figure out why) but I could make a Ren'Py game. (I mean, I lack the artistic skill, but...) Ren'Py is really not that heavy-duty from a coding perspective. If you are truly going a full visual novel with no minigames or anything like that, it's extremely simple, and the best option

EDIT: A final summation, the effort needed to use Ren'Py is negligible, the need for UE is nonexistent, and the benefits of using a familiar engine are already starting to be outweighed by people who won't or can't play a UE VN. (Myself not included, but, still)

Last edited:

Ratnedalu

Jan 11, 2018
Looking at the tags/planned tags:

Harem, Romance and...
Prostitution
Not a very healthy combination for Harem or Romance fans.

Second request now for you to clarify that.
Also, DuskDuck, I'd like to third this request. Prostitution is a form of NeToRase, if it's your love interests you're prostituting. Pimping out your Love Interests ain't really romantic either.

EDIT: A Primer on "NTR" (for anyone who may desire it)... It stands for 3 different subgenres at once;
Netori (Verb Stem), when the PC does the stealing. F95zone uses the tag 'cheating', except when it doesn't.

Netorare (Passive Verb), when the PC is stolen from, without consent. F95's NTR tag is now this.

Netorase (Causative Verb), when the PC is stolen from, with consent. Now the Swinging tag, I guess? But also kinda Prostitution sometimes?

Last edited:

DuskDuck

Game Developer
Aug 19, 2023
Also, DuskDuck, I'd like to third this request. Prostitution is a form of NeToRase, if it's your love interests you're prostituting. Pimping out your Love Interests ain't really romantic either.

EDIT: A Primer on "NTR" (for anyone who may desire it)... It stands for 3 different subgenres at once;
Netori (Verb Stem), when the PC does the stealing. F95zone uses the tag 'cheating', except when it doesn't.

Netorare (Passive Verb), when the PC is stolen from, without consent. F95's NTR tag is now this.

Netorase (Causative Verb), when the PC is stolen from, with consent. Now the Swinging tag, I guess? But also kinda Prostitution sometimes?
Many seem to worry about NTR so i will clear it out. The prostitution tag is not meant for the main girls, there will be some side character working as prostitute.

• Sad
Reactions: LordSinner

DuskDuck

Game Developer
Aug 19, 2023
A final summation, the effort needed to use Ren'Py is negligible, the need for UE is nonexistent, and the benefits of using a familiar engine are already starting to be outweighed by people who won't or can't play a UE VN. (Myself not included, but, still)
From what i saw after releasing the game for a few hours, ren'py is the best choice for this kind of game to start with. UE have some overkill build-in that are very unnecessary. Reading people posts here, i am really considering switching engine.
I have download Ren'py and give it a go, it is fairly simple so porting the basic will be easy. I am a fast learner, if I go full on this, i think i could get it done in about 2-3 weeks.
Should I go with switching engine?

Jnx

Jun 6, 2017
"I'm making a game in UE, the engine where indie games go to die, with models from a game based in Unity, in an "engine" I built in a week."

What are you trying to accomplish here?

kauthor

Jun 15, 2018
Do it man! We will cheer you on!
From what i saw after releasing the game for a few hours, ren'py is the best choice for this kind of game to start with. UE have some overkill build-in that are very unnecessary. Reading people posts here, i am really considering switching engine.
I have download Ren'py and give it a go, it is fairly simple so porting the basic will be easy. I am a fast learner, if I go full on this, i think i could get it done in about 2-3 weeks.
Should I go with switching engine?
Do it man! We will cheer you on!

4.30 star(s) 10 Votes