OneManVN

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Nov 16, 2018
So 0.5-5 hours to "sketch" the pic, then however many hours for the 3D rendering to fill in the "sketch" (mesh). And people bitch/whine about how long it takes for developers to release updates. Never mind however long it takes to think up story arcs and write dialogue. Having done some writing myself (and tons of professional editing), I know it takes a lot longer to do things right than most folks think. And that's assuming you aren't a grammar nazi like I am, who gets OCD when reading bad writing.

Most people have no clue how much work is involved in making a game. Especially for a solo creator. Kudos for doing what you do. And for being so dedicated to wanting to do right by your fans.
Thanks, bud, and yes I literally wake up and render. From 10 AM for example today, Well yesterday... to 1 AM now. That's how long it took me to get 6 renders done at a good quality.

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
6 renders in 15 hours is damn good. An average of a mere 2.5 hours per, and that's for a 1920 pic. Sure is better than the 12-30 hours (or more) per render I've read that some devs have to deal with (who are using systems with not enough oomph).

Last edited:
Reactions: OneManVN

OneManVN

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Nov 16, 2018
6 renders in 15 hours is damn good. An average of a mere 2.5 hours per, and that's for a 1920 pic. Sure is better than the 12-30 hours (or more) per render I've read that some devs have to deal with (who are using systems with not enough oomph).
I'm in render heaven today. So yes it's damn good, no complaints :D Could it be better? hell yeah, maybe with some more Patrons under my hood I can drive dual 2kseries Nvidia GPUs by next year. The only problem is having to work work work work work and then work on these all day as well. But o well I chose it so.

Last edited:

Princess Groundhog

Nov 5, 2018
I don't know anything about the technical side of things and how long it takes but I think what we see now is really good. Sure everything could always be better, but so far the scenes and the lighting have all been great. And I like all of the models so far for the main characters. Alison looks really cute with that pixie cut and the males look like real humans and not zombie orcs like you see in some games. Love the beard action on Rix.

Reactions: AWolfe and OneManVN

OneManVN

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Nov 16, 2018
I don't know anything about the technical side of things and how long it takes but I think what we see now is really good. Sure everything could always be better, but so far the scenes and the lighting have all been great. And I like all of the models so far for the main characters. Alison looks really cute with that pixie cut and the males look like real humans and not zombie orcs as you see in some games. Love the beard action on Rix.
Thanks, I love to focus on those little details. Like skin tone per scene, lighting temperature per room or outdoor. Sweat, veins etc. Everything that gives a bit of realism.

Reactions: AWolfe

OneManVN

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Nov 16, 2018
So 0.5-5 hours to "sketch" the pic, then however many hours for the 3D rendering to fill in the "sketch" (mesh). And people bitch/whine about how long it takes for developers to release updates. Never mind however long it takes to think up story arcs and write dialogue. Having done some writing myself (and tons of professional editing), I know it takes a lot longer to do things right than most folks think. And that's assuming you aren't a grammar nazi like I am, who gets OCD when reading bad writing.

Most people have no clue how much work is involved in making a game. Especially for a solo creator. Kudos for doing what you do. And for being so dedicated to wanting to do right by your fans.
Indeed Awolfe. I use Grammarly a lot since English is my fourth language. I make a lot of minor mistakes, like i instead of I. Or i'm instead of I'm or I'll I'd. My English is not perfect, but I really do put in the work to deliver the best writing I can, to the best of my abilities.

I also agree with you on people bitching without even knowing what it does take. I wasn't kidding when I said a full scene (Opening scene) as a beginner took me 3 weeks to put the assets, lighting characters, poses, clothing, hair all in place. Most clothing doesn't fit as it should (automatically) so you have to adjust, sometimes adjusting doesn't work as intended. So guess what? you have to save that render with the poke-through skin by editing it on the pixel level 1000-6000% zoom and paint over those pixels skillfully enough so it doesn't show. And let's not even talk about rendering. It can take 10 minutes to 1+hour to render 1 single frame. I usually render at 24frames instead of 30, just so I can save some time. Now imagine a 16second clip 16x24x10minutes. Or if you go with great quality renders as some do. 16x30x1hour. Do the math. And of course, this is based on a really decent system like my own. I feel for the poor developer who does all of this on a quad-core CPU no Nvidia GPU, or worse a laptop. That is what I call bravery right there. They would take 600-1000 hours for a rendered scene in 1920x1080.

Example, I bet no one can tell that I've used that technique so far. So yes I feel other developers pain. They without a doubt put in 100's of hours of work for a huge scene. Especially those of us who render in 2-4K initially just so we can downscale to 1920x1080 with some good leftover quality. Then again as you mentioned, writing... scripting, putting it together, troubleshooting, dealing with an angry random person who downloaded your hard work for free then turns around and says "Boring" Or why doesn't this work!.

Anyhow, I'm not complaining. I respect opinions, and I am very cool and calm under pressure. If people don't appreciate my work, I don't sweat it, because I know there are some amazing mature people like yourself around here who do. And that makes up for all the hard work.

Last edited:
Reactions: AWolfe

OneManVN

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Nov 16, 2018
Why is the room tilting. Supposed to be an earthquake? (Wink) Attention to detail matters.
The room is not tilting, Michael is taller looking slightly downwards. But i suppose it would seem like it is.

OneManVN

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Nov 16, 2018
Why is the room tilting. Supposed to be an earthquake? (Wink) Attention to detail matters.
Yes, I see what you are saying. Problem is I wouldn't be able to get those shots and facial reactions without the angle. I hope those who are sticklers for reality inside a VN will forgive me. Edit: Not trying to be sarcastic FYI Hyped. I appreciate your eagle eye! but I honestly had to make a choice. Get a straight shot within a limited space that does not have removable walls. Or get the facial reaction I need.

Last edited:

Hyped

Jan 14, 2018
Yes, I see what you are saying. Problem is I wouldn't be able to get those shots and facial reactions without the angle. I hope those who are sticklers for reality inside a VN will forgive me. Edit: Not trying to be sarcastic FYI Hyped. I appreciate your eagle eye! but I honestly had to make a choice. Get a straight shot within a limited space that does not have removable walls. Or get the facial reaction I need.
It's the city backdrop. I get that its a daz background issue. Maybe look into some workarounds if you're doing many of those window scenes.

Last edited:

Hyped

Jan 14, 2018
UPDATE: I'll likely live to not regret this. I called one of the sick days. Expect 0.2.5 TODAY!
Treat it like a marathon, not a bunch of sprints. We appreciate consistent, spaced-out updates but with more content. These tiny updates aren't likely to help your cause.

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Treat it like a marathon, not a bunch of sprints. We appreciate consistent, spaced-out updates but with more content. These tiny updates aren't likely to help your cause.
Yeah, what he said. A minute or two of added gameplay is just going to annoy players. A release of a hotfix is one thing, but please save content for when you have enough to add a significant amount of gameplay time. People complain when the download takes longer than the amount of play time that's been added.

Reactions: Hyped

OneManVN

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Nov 16, 2018
Yeah, what he said. A minute or two of added gameplay is just going to annoy players. A release of a hotfix is one thing, but please save content for when you have enough to add a significant amount of gameplay time. People complain when the download takes longer than the amount of play time that's been added.
Not to worry this won't be a normal thing. I just wanted to use what was left from Friday and Sunday to finish them up. Then it's back to the rendering board for a while. Plus don't forget the whole tyrano to Renpy I did. That prevented me from releasing what I had intended to release with tyranobuilder. In fact, I completely forgot I had some of these until this morning. Worse case if people get upset, I'll upload it only for my patrons next time as I promised them per tier.

Last edited:

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
Just finished 0.1. It's not great, but the renders are crisp and spelling errors are rare. My main issue was with the writing - it's overlong, doesn't flow well, is occasionally difficult to attribute, and goes a bit too far in my opinion. And for some reason feels like it was written by a girl. That said, if it's truly a 24h job, it's commendable, and I'm interested in seeing how the game develops.

Reactions: Hyped

OneManVN

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Nov 16, 2018
Just finished 0.1. It's not great, but the renders are crisp and spelling errors are rare. My main issue was with the writing - it's overlong, doesn't flow well, is occasionally difficult to attribute, and goes a bit too far in my opinion. And for some reason feels like it was written by a girl. That said, if it's truly a 24h job, it's commendable, and I'm interested in seeing how the game develops.
To make it easy for you to understand why. I had to google attribute to get the real meaning of it. English is my fourth language, at least my writing is not as bad as some Russian translations though. As for the girl part, I actually take that as a compliment. Maybe there is a girl hiding inside me and I never looked closely. Oh boy, there's my next title. The girl inside me...

3.50 star(s) 78 Votes