AI generated art

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

VegitoHlove

Apr 27, 2018
Hmm. I don't Getty winning the lawsuit. It also contradicts the copyright law or rather the lack their of. Even if they could successfully argue that the use of their images in training the AI was copyright infringement They still have a problem with:

!.) Making an argument that Third party checkpoints/models and Loras etc infringes copyrights.

2.) The images produced by the stable diffusion based models (or any other model) for that matter CAN'T be held to copyright as the copyright has to be held by a human in order to have any hopes of being copyrightable. Do you see the problem here?

VegitoHlove

Apr 27, 2018
If they are going to set the precedent that "you cant learn from an artist without permission" then every artist is open to being sued because every artist learned from other artists.
That's a good point. Some will certainly see it that way. Besides I don't think they have a strong case if generated images aren't the same. And it's VERY difficult, almost impossible to get an Identical images even with the exact same parameters.

XcentY

Jul 15, 2017
You may have bought something legally, but they had no right to sell it. That's the point.

If someone steals a car, sells it to you, and the police find out that the car was stolen, does that mean nothing illegal happened and it's your property because you bought it? Sometimes, think about what you write. I don't know which country you live in, but in almost every EU country, you will lose the car even though you paid for it, and the thief ends up in prison.

Did Midjourney have the right to steal millions of images and use them for their AI? They weren't supposed to... So what are we talking about here?

Maybe it's stupid to you, but it's actually a fact according to which the AI creates things for you. Dozens of people have already written to you here, and you still don't understand. The more creations there are, the more things will resemble each other, and it will be much easier to find out which creation was just copied and from whom. I don't understand why you keep repeating the same nonsense over and over again.

Well... I won't say more; some people are a waste of time and live in their own bubble, where there is no other truth than theirs. Good luck with your AI. I wonder how far you will go in one year. Let me know then
For me, I totally agree with the fact that if you use stolen material to train your AI, then you've to only use your trained AI privately. If an AI trained with stolen material becomes public and can be used by anyone, it leaves a chance to correctly prompt the AI to retrieve the original image... For me there is enough Public Domain material to get the AI to do what we want. And I think the private use and public use is the limit between fair and unfair use.

But yet, I don't agree when you reply to DunIX to say that everybody wasted their time explaining your point of view to him and that he doesn't want to understand and stay in his bubble...

I did some comments here and I saw also stubborness on both sides of the plate... You're also in your own bubble believing that you're right and he's wrong.

Here I will leave you with an article which will set both of you on the same track... Which is "CURRENTLY WE DON'T KNOW"

Some key elements of the article :
“I see people on both sides of this extremely confident in their positions, but the reality is nobody knows,” Baio, who’s been following the generative AI scene closely, told The Verge. “And anyone who says they know confidently how this will play out in court is wrong.”
The output question: can you copyright what an AI model creates?
In September, the US Copyright Office granted a for a comic book generated with the help of text-to-image AI Midjourney
The input question: can you use copyright-protected data to train AI models?
The justification used by AI researchers, startups, and multibillion-dollar tech companies alike is that using these images is covered (in the US, at least) by , which aims to encourage the use of copyright-protected work to promote freedom of expression.
“If you give an AI 10 Stephen King novels and say, ‘Produce a Stephen King novel,’ then you’re directly competing with Stephen King. Would that be fair use? Probably not,” says Gervais.
Crucially, though, between these two poles of fair and unfair use, there are countless scenarios in which input, purpose, and output are all balanced differently and could sway any legal ruling one way or another.

--> the article :

and here the guidance provided by USCO :

and here a tool to find out if your photos, creations, ... were used in the training data :

So please hold the reins.... Don't be so sure when you've no jurisprudence to back your claims...
It's a forum and actually none of you is right and both of you is right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meaning Less

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
If they are going to set the precedent that "you cant learn from an artist without permission" then every artist is open to being sued because every artist learned from other artists.
Except no one is learning. Patterns are generated based on existing products which were created through work.

What will happen is that things that use copyright-protected or unlicensed art to train an AI will eventually be forbidden.

It's not even difficult to see how that's going to happen.
Someone somewhere will make a fan game, stripping the original assets from the games & turn them into an asset base that a model can be trained on.
Some people will take it further, turn, say, God of Wars models into "Epic Fantasy Titan Model Pack 1" and sell it on Unity or Unreal asset stores. Easy money made off the hard work of others.

At that moment, big companies will realize that their games, the stuff they had developers work at for years, and that they payed millions for, are basically just junkyard corpses to be scrapped for materials.
Models, levels, assets, voices, sound effects, all of it, just something someone else can pick up, launder through an AI generator, and then sell off the work of someone else - tens of thousands of hours - for their own benefit.

There absolutely is going to be legislation for this. The moment company games are stripped for asset bases, the moment Motion Capture Studios and other professional service providers have their expensive, custom designed assets laundered through an AI generator and then resold for a fraction of the original price, bankrupting the companies while enriching the art-launderers?

Yeah. Those laws will come. And the time AI assets are a greyzone will end. Because no major company will stand for this, and they have the political cloud & the money to shut this down.

Free AI assets based on laundered online art is going to cease to be a thing. Instead, there'll be companies licensing asset bases you can use to train an AI on, and companies selling prepped AI models that are more and more efficient in how large an asset base they need and require less and less training.

XcentY

Jul 15, 2017
Except no one is learning. Patterns are generated based on existing products which were created through work.

What will happen is that things that use copyright-protected or unlicensed art to train an AI will eventually be forbidden.

It's not even difficult to see how that's going to happen.
Someone somewhere will make a fan game, stripping the original assets from the games & turn them into an asset base that a model can be trained on.
Some people will take it further, turn, say, God of Wars models into "Epic Fantasy Titan Model Pack 1" and sell it on Unity or Unreal asset stores. Easy money made off the hard work of others.

At that moment, big companies will realize that their games, the stuff they had developers work at for years, and that they payed millions for, are basically just junkyard corpses to be scrapped for materials.
Models, levels, assets, voices, sound effects, all of it, just something someone else can pick up, launder through an AI generator, and then sell off the work of someone else - tens of thousands of hours - for their own benefit.

There absolutely is going to be legislation for this. The moment company games are stripped for asset bases, the moment Motion Capture Studios and other professional service providers have their expensive, custom designed assets laundered through an AI generator and then resold for a fraction of the original price, bankrupting the companies while enriching the art-launderers?

Yeah. Those laws will come. And the time AI assets are a greyzone will end. Because no major company will stand for this, and they have the political cloud & the money to shut this down.

Free AI assets based on laundered online art is going to cease to be a thing. Instead, there'll be companies licensing asset bases you can use to train an AI on, and companies selling prepped AI models that are more and more efficient in how large an asset base they need and require less and less training.
There will certainly be some new rules coming... Here is what I think of :
If you see how Youtube algorithm uses his to spot any copyrighted music in a video and even more...
But here, a youtube creator who put work in his video can be striked for 3 seconds of music or 3 seconds of video taken from copyrighted material... I call this unfair as well for the work done by the creator and when you see that this major music industries are just claiming the money of another human's work just because of 3 seconds of music... It's a bit harsch.
We can think of having something similar (yet less aggressive than Content ID), an AI trained with your own copyrighted material to spot if an AI generated image is using part of your work... (Then we will have to decide which percentage of the spotted material is enough to "strike" the image and claim it as your own)

XcentY

Jul 15, 2017
Here is what I found on the website where you can check if your material was used to train generative AI :
These images were used to train the different AI (MidJourney, Dall-E or Stable Diffusion)
1682537495644.png
sourced fapnaption.org
1682537515400.png sourced lewdzone.com
1682537551310.png sourced lewdplay.com
1682537573655.png sourced lewdplay.com

And so on :D
I think Dating My Daughter is part of Generative AI now :D

And if you type lewdzone.com, you end up with this material :
1682538144185.png

Last edited:
  • Yay, new update!
Reactions: DuniX

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
You do realize all the Big Game Studios are the most likely to use AI for model generation right?
The artists that work on the models own exactly jack shit, it's the studios that own the art.

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
You do realize all the Big Game Studios are the most likely to use AI for model generation right?
The artists that work on the models own exactly jack shit, it's the studios that own the art.
Reading. You should try it sometime.
1682538383327.png
What exactly about this tells you that companies won't be doing it?

It says that companies WILL be doing it, but rather than scraping the net for stuff, they'll comission artists for a select number of assets which they buy entirely including the copyright, turn them into an asset base and generate their stuff on the base of it.

There'll be asset encoded hashs or other ways of verifying the origin of an AI art asset, allowing people to distinguish between laundered & scraped AI assets, and legitimately licensed asset bases run through legitimate AI software.

Reactions: GGAdams

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
It says that companies WILL be doing it, but rather than scraping the net for stuff, they'll comission artists for a select number of assets which they buy entirely including the copyright, turn them into an asset base and generate their stuff on the base of it.
They already have the assets library base on decades of game development.
What they don't have is the supercomputer to train the models on.
And what is the most important is to get the Highest Quality models generated for use in further projects, which is best left to the AI companies to do their magic.
One Publisher's asset library might not be enough, it's better for ALL Companies to go all in and throw whatever scraps they can scrounge up from anywhere. Including Google Sketch, Blender, whatever.

There'll be asset encoded hashs or other ways of verifying the origin of an AI art asset, allowing people to distinguish between laundered & scraped AI assets, and legitimately licensed asset bases run through legitimate AI software.
Your delusional. That's not how it works.
They can track the origin of exactly jack shit. One individual asset also doesn't amount to much so there is no such thing as laundering.
What you need is Quantity, not Quality.

• Angry
Reactions: kuraiken

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
They already have the assets library base on decades of game development.
What they don't have is the supercomputer to train the models on.
And what is the most important is to get the Highest Quality models generated for use in further projects, which is best left to the AI companies to do their magic.
One Publisher's asset library might not be enough, it's better for ALL Companies to go all in and throw whatever scraps they can scrounge up from anywhere. Including Google Sketch, Blender, whatever.
Except that any asset they use, that's based on work they have no copyright to, opens them up to this thing called lawsuits.

And in the case of AI assets? You have no copyright to anything you generate. That means that those companies could produce thousands of AI assets for their games, and everyone could just take them and use them for their own games to create clones and lookalikes. And the companies would have no standing to sue, because they do not hold the copyright.

They're already doing AI inhouse work, e.g. Ubisoft training an AI to write minor open world NPC lines.

If you think all companies are going to all unite, then you literally have not heard of competition and you do not know what different art & asset styles are.
Video Game companies are literally designing their own recognizeable style & color scheme for their games, so that their game becomes recognizable by how it looks alone. You think they're just going to throw all stuff together, skip that part, and end up with unrecognizable products you cannot lift from the masses in your PR campaign? Do you even know anything about game development or are you just a contrarian who pulls stupid arguments out of his rear for the lol's sake?

Your delusional. That's not how it works.
They can track the origin of exactly jack shit. One individual asset also doesn't amount to much so there is no such thing as laundering.
What you need is Quantity, not Quality.
Why do you have such a massive problem with your reading disability?
I'm literally telling you how they'll do it in the very sentence you're quoting.

1682604039646.png
Have you heard of this thing called metadata? It's data that's encoded in the thing itself.
Any image? Has metadata. Information about that image. What was it created with, when, in some cases this includes the geolocation (where it was created).
So someone can literally take a holiday picture of you, check the geolocation embedded in the metadata and know where this picture was taken and when.

What I'm talking about is exactly that. Just as photoshop will mark itself down in the metadata of your image, the AI generator will have to mark down it's product & version, as well as the utilized AI asset library and the parameters used for creation.
That's one way to make this trackable. If there is no verified origin tag, no hash that allows a verification check with a licensed libraray & generator, than it's going to be considered laundered AI art.

That's one way this could be handled.

There's multiple ways this can be resolved, but it will be resolved in some fashion or another. If you think companies are going to allow a wild west where you can launder someone elses work (including theirs) through AI generators and run off with the money, you have no idea how the world works.

We literally had the same with Kazaa, emule, etc. The whole filesharing greyzone. Everyone could just download music & other stuff and share it online. It was a legal greyzone. Nothing was technically stolen, but revenue was lost.
And then the companies stepped on it. Now you have licensed "filesharing" services that specialize on certain market elements, e.g. spotify.

Right now, there's no legal consensus on the emerging AI generated products. No legislation that directly aims at it, and old laws have to be interpreted more in spirit & principle. That will change. Legislation will come. And when that happens? Just with software piracy and music sharing, or video streaming & cinema movie recording, the companies will step on the things that threaten their income.

And in so doing, they'll also make the Art-laundering process people currently engage in illegal. 'cause you didn't draw those images, you didn't make those models. Someone else did. You're just building on the work they did with no right to do so.

• Angry
Reactions: DuniX and GGAdams

VegitoHlove

Apr 27, 2018
And in so doing, they'll also make the Art-laundering process people currently engage in illegal. 'cause you didn't draw those images, you didn't make those models. Someone else did. You're just building on the work they did with no right to do so.
Regardless of you being right or wrong. That sentence right there demonstrates your problem with AI Images. "You're just building on the work they did with no right to do so." What about the common fantasy tropes and such that others building upon to use in their own LEAGL commercial works? Nah. Fuck those guys. They had NO RIGHT to build upon the ideas someone else had. It's not like that's how innovation works.

Cry all you want. Images generation is here to stay. And with all the publicly available choices of AI image generators, those "awful" people are free to generate many different images. What scum, how do they sleep at night.

GGAdams

Mar 19, 2022
How can people defend Ai when you see this :

They are really pathetic human beings....

VegitoHlove

Apr 27, 2018

01253-1900022978.jpg

Here is a very generic white redhead woman, I'm sure I've now destroyed the identity of white redhead everywhere. GOD! I'm such a fucking SCUMBAG! Holy shit!!!

Look, I'll grant you that there are some assholes whom use Image generation to be a fuckface. But come on, not all people will be such a way. Besides which you could make the same argument for any technological advancement. What? You thought this was the first time a big stink was made over the nefarious possibilities of creative works in new technologies? No. It won't be the last either.

It's occurring to me you might be sarcastic. I'm not sure.

Deleted member 440241

Feb 14, 2018

That was hilarious. "I spent years finding references to develop my style. Now someone used me as a reference to train an AI and the sub-par work it's doing has me scared of the future. I know this was done specifically to troll me after I vocally decried AI art, but I'm still going to use this to reinforce my concerns that AI will put artists out of work."

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
Regardless of you being right or wrong. That sentence right there demonstrates your problem with AI Images. "You're just building on the work they did with no right to do so." What about the common fantasy tropes and such that others building upon to use in their own LEAGL commercial works? Nah. Fuck those guys. They had NO RIGHT to build upon the ideas someone else had. It's not like that's how innovation works.

Cry all you want. Images generation is here to stay. And with all the publicly available choices of AI image generators, those "awful" people are free to generate many different images. What scum, how do they sleep at night.
Are you sure it's a good idea to be that provocative in your reply? That's usually only a good idea when you actually have a good argument.
Otherwise, someone might come around and completely deconstruct your argument.

Which is...
What about the common fantasy tropes and such that others building upon to use in their own LEAGL commercial works?
1. The vast majority of common fantasy tropes predates all of modern society. Orcs, elves? Do they come from Tolkien? No, Tolkien took them from nordic and north european mythology. They're not the invention or the design of a single artist to whom the origin can be traced back. They're inherited from our society & history. Thus, they are common good.

2. The vast majority of fantasy tropes are the result of our human experience intermingled with fiction. The brave hero, the evil villian. Those are essential stereotypes derived as a simplification from observation of our human existence. Human existance is not copyright protected.

3. Tropes are not the key of writing a good story. In fact, they often have little to do with the final result. Rather they are unavoidable building blocks when creating a story, as human experiences materializes itself in the writing. The anti-hero trope is not some copyright protected unique invention, but a reaction to decades of the hero, who not only acts as protagonist, but as moral guidance, often in a world with very clearly delinated boundaries. The anti-hero is the product of the realization that such characters are unrealistic, since in reality, personal experience, the human and material condition, all create limitations to "being the hero", meaning that the "hero" is a simplistic and unrealistic model that can only exist in the imagination since the writer carefully strips away all challenges to the hero's moral authority. Thus the anti-hero was born. The Geralt of Rivia. The person that does not live in a world where everything will go his way, but where sometimes, all you can choose is "The Lesser Evil".
Thus "tropes" are merely emerging materializations of the human experience that with enough repetition will become tropes. They are a reflection of our perception of society & norms, not unique constructs evoked from nothing.
They are earth, water, stone. Materials to build with. Not the result.
Sometimes people mix tropes, or create reactions to tropes.
Sometimes people mix earth with water, and get clay.
New things are created from a reaction or combination of the old.
Earth and Water are not copyright protected. Neither is clay.

4. Books are fundamentally not what you imagine them to be. A book is not a collection of tropes, an arrangement of things that happen.
Books are a blueprint to an emotional experience evoked in the readers imagination. They consists of hundred thousands of deliberate decisions, made to evoke highly specific emotional reactions in readers. From intertextual connections that are woven between scenes to establish context, emotional tones, arrangment of scenes, multiple narravtive arcs for plot & characters, down to the pacing and the narrative & dialogue beats that make up the structure of the work.
No one cares whether it's a goblin, an orc, or a troll that killed the love interest of the protagonist. What people care about is what the scene makes them feel and whether it suceeds at conveying what it sets out to do.

5. Your entire argument hinges on the misunderstanding, that somehow "tropes" are they key ingrediant in a work. Be it a book, a painting, or whatever. They're not. Just because you draw an orc does not mean someone will be interested in your drawing of an orc. It's how you materialize the concept, the idea of an orc, and filter it through your unique perspective of what you imagine them to be, that results in a highly specific artwork, made with hundred thousands of deliberate decisions, that stirs something emotionally in the audience.
An AI does not take the idea "orc" and asks itself: What do I think an orc is? How could I make an orc be? Is it a tribal creature roaming the lands? Perhaps I could show an orc sitting near a tent made of furs, stitching a simple piece of clothing for a young orcling, who - with big eyes and wondrous gaze - observes how things are made.
An AI simply mimics the patterns it has observed in people who asked those questions. And it replicates those patterns with a divergence that is sufficient enough to constitute something that looks somewhat different.

But there's a reason so much AI work looks similar. It's 'cause they mimic the same artists, with the same technqiues, in the lighting, the shadow, the color, the saturation, the positioning, etc.
That's why you can literally copy "the style" of an artist.
The AI does not actually learn, it does not ask questions, it does not grow. It mimics patterns it has observed. But it does not understand what it draws, or why it draws it.

So.
In order for you to make the argument you made, the following things had to happen.
1. You did not understand the origin of tropes.
2. You did not understand what tropes are.
3. You did not understand how tropes come to be, and what they are used for.
4. You did not understand what books and stories are, and confused them for collections of tropes where the trope is the thing that makes a person read the book, rather than the experience of reading the book.
5. You do not understand what actually makes up any art. You have only the most superficial understanding of how art works and what its made up of, or the process an artist uses to learn.

The angry vitriol of a person who has no concept of what makes art art, and hopes to bypass learning & understanding by laundering other people's works.

You'll be surprised when anything you make of AI art very quickly looses its luster, and people bemoan that beyond "nice looking pictures" they are all empty, hollow, because they AI can only replicate patterns, not compose scenes with the understanding of a human that bases their work on their human experience.

You're just angry because deep down, you realize that this freedom to strip other people's work of their value and benefit of the fruits of someone elses labor, will not remain.
And any game you make with AI art now? Might not even be allowed to be sold or made money of in a couple years.

The helpless and bitter "AI Art is here to stay" is just a sign that you, too, cannot read what I write.
I already made clear that AI art will remain, will integrate into workflows and will become part of most future environments. Like photoshop for images. Like key frame rendering in animation systems.
It just won't in the way that you want it to be.

Last edited:

XcentY

Jul 15, 2017

Let's say as a human, I go to her instagram account, and look everyday at her picture and start drawing my own style based on what I see on her instagram... If I do that regularly. After a while, If I'm good at drawing (which I'm not) the results will be my originals but you'll certainly catch marikyuun's work in my drawings... Here she complaints because she didn't allow... Do I need her authorization to go on her instagram account ? Let's try ...
Answer : No -
Could someone easily make similar drawings ? Let's try ...
Answer : Yes - 1 min in paint and I'm already close 1682614016646.png
Will she say that I used her stuff without content ? Probably not because she's not affraid of my own vision of her art.
(I already know how you'll react to my pro artist drawing :D)
It's not like her drawings or her style is that much original. I've seen many similar drawings everywhere on internet
but she only complain because she see how easy the AI can use her stuff to do new stuff.
But someone (a pro artist) watching her instagram a couple of times is really capable of doing what she does.
And if she doesn't want her stuff to be used. Don't make a public instagram account...

When she created this, did she ask Nintendo's consent ? Yet everybody can spot patterns and characters copied from another artist ... What ? But why you only want to put the burden on AI ?
1682614336611.png

Copyright gives the owner the exclusive right to create . The works here are clearly derivative so they are unlawful without permission or a fair use exemption.

So it's more "do what I say but not what I do"...

Last edited:

VegitoHlove

Apr 27, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Okay, first off. I'll be as provocative as I want, I am very sexy.

Second Anything predating anything doesn't prove anything.

Third I only skimmed your essay because I couldn't care enough to read it. Did you get ChatGPT to do it for you? It's okay if you did. I won't tell ;)

Lastly You're a very sad and arrogant person. AI already exist in the way I want it (Which you've no idea what that is, you've come up with an entire picture of whom I am and my talents etc all based on commentary about AI on a erotic video game pirate site) and you speak like you're in the morally superior position.

You have zero idea what accomplishment I may or may not have had outside of playing with AI. But stay angry and attack mine and other peoples characters. Makes you look like a big strong man.

• Haha
Reactions: kuraiken

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017

Third I only skimmed your essay because I couldn't care enough to read it. Did you get ChatGPT to do it for you? It's okay if you did. I won't tell ;)

Lastly You're a very sad and arrogant person. AI already exist in the way I want it (Which you've no idea what that is, you've come up with an entire picture of whom I am and my talents etc all based on commentary about AI on a erotic video game pirate site) and you speak like you're in the morally superior position.

You have zero idea what accomplishment I may or may not have had outside of playing with AI. But stay angry and attack mine and other peoples characters. Makes you look like a big strong man.
This post doesn't even add anything to the discussion? Why did you make it if you don't have anything to say?

My post was at least a five point argument in which every single of those five points you didn't read entirely destroyed the argument you made.

That you don't comprehend anything here is shown in this quote:
That's literally copyright.
The reason something is copyright protected is because someone specific created a very specific something (opposed to something very vague).
- Someone drawing a specific image of an orc has the copyright of that specific image, because he's the person that created it.
- Someone creating something with the color red, which was created in multiple different parts of the world in multiple different ways, does not own the copyright of things produced in red.

If tropes do not have a specific creator they cannot be copyright protected. If they originated from the cultural history of humanity, they are not copyright protected, they're common good.
If tropes do not exist as a specific implementation (e.g. exist in a very specific context, such as in a story, materialized in a specific way) than they are just vague concepts and also cannot be copyright protected. No one can claim to own the idea of "heroes".

Lastly You're a very sad and arrogant person.
I am a very happy & friendly person.
It sometimes may seem arrogant when I explain simple concepts to people who simply cannot comprehend them. Such as that copyright-protected tropes is a ridiculously stupid comparison that you need to actively not think about to think it's a good idea.
So any arrogance of mine is your fault. :)

I don't know you, so I'll just take your word for it and consider you a very sexy person that just utterly fails to materialize that sexyness in literary form. ;)

• Angry

VegitoHlove

Apr 27, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Ok. Look at it this way then for what arrogance you're displaying.

You ultimately making an argument that AI Image generation undermines and devalues non-AI artist's work. Pointing out things like copy right and implying that regulation very that is very aggressive and restrictive must be done (which defeats the purpose of AI in my eyes). You say this as if from a moral high ground. But here's why regardless of you being right or wrong I don't respect your mostly (incorrect) opinions.

As I said you preach about the evils of AI and those whom use it, yet here you are on a pirate site, one in which you can download games illegally. Games that are on their own often "controversial" not to mention those with subjects like rape, incest, bestiality, loli, NTR etc. Where is your bleeding heart for the work that goes into making these games? Games that people like us happily download without compensation?

Your responses, right or wrong of fact are laden with vitriol and rudeness wrapped up in hypocrisy.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote