Unreal Engine Afterparty [Development Thread]

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Tech rambling! I thought I'd start to get stuff ready for the male MC. It won't be playable on release. But I am getting stuff ready- materials, textures, morphs, etc- so that it can be added shortly after release. This will require me to edit the character creator a bit, so that all the settings and such can be swapped out when the male MC is chosen. But the core logic of it all is already written.

One important decision for me when it comes to the male MC is the hairstyle. Back when I did Daz rendering, one hairstyle I really enjoyed for male characters was . It's highly modular and dforce enabled- and it has an interactive license, so I can use it in my game without worrying about Daz lawyers sending me nasty emails.

But there's a problem. This hairstyle is strand-based, which is not the same as most geometry-based hair in Daz. In order to bring Daz hair into UE, I had been using a for converting the hair to alembic grooms. Unfortunately, the addon completely shits the bed with strand-based hair. It just won't convert it. I tried all sorts of things- increasing/decreasing line tessellation, exporting in different formats. But I could not get the strand hair to convert.

Thankfully there is a solution. I came across a that shows you how to convert Daz dforce strand-based hair to alembic grooms, using Cinema4D and the Ornatrix plugin. However, both of these are highly expensive. Fortunately, C4D allows for a 14 day trial. And the Ornatrix plugin has a "demo" version that actually has all the functionality of the full plugin, the only difference being that you cannot actually save the file to come back and work on later. But that's no problem, as I can finish the hair in one sitting without having to save.

Once the hair is converted using Ornatrix, you can simply import into UE as an alembic groom, as you would for hair that is converted using the Blender plugin.

So, I can finally get the Bristol hair into UE. Here is the result:

There's some sort of scaling issue with the scalp not fitting correctly but that should just be a matter of tweaking values until it fits.

So, I'm very glad that my favorite Daz hair for male characters is usable in UE, which should make for some great results for the male MC.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Neat. I can't use Ornatrix sadly, but it's far far from bad imo.
That said, hate me for this, but can't you push a slight SSS into the skin?

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Neat. I can't use Ornatrix sadly, but it's far far from bad imo.
That said, hate me for this, but can't you push a slight SSS into the skin?
assuming you mean you can't use it due to the price or software needed- since the plugin itself is essentially free (if you don't save) all you need is C4D or Maya. Everything I did with Ornatrix in C4D should also be possible in Maya. I couldn't find any C4D torrents, but there are a ton of Maya torrents. If you're OK with the ethics of that of course (this being a pirate forum I assume most people are).

SSS actually is enabled here- it just wasn't especially noticeable with the basic light setup I threw together for that clip

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Quick check in. For the past week or so I've been cleaning up the char creator prior to release and working on save/load functionality. All the good stuff that needs to get done before release (which I still intend to do by the end of this month).

Also, here's a new office environment I've been testing out. It won't be in the release since there isn't anything to do there, it was more of a performance test. Without Lumen enabled performance is much higher, it's likely there will be maps in the game that include Lumen and some that don't (larger ones with more characters likely wont). Lumen is great- but it's quite heavy!

yurikan

Jun 11, 2018
Meanwhile in UE5 I have managed to make a transparent block that can be moved.

Very nice work, and impressive progress so far!

Reactions: Dilly_

Nantec

Aug 2, 2017
Quick check in. For the past week or so I've been cleaning up the char creator prior to release and working on save/load functionality. All the good stuff that needs to get done before release (which I still intend to do by the end of this month).

Also, here's a new office environment I've been testing out. It won't be in the release since there isn't anything to do there, it was more of a performance test. Without Lumen enabled performance is much higher, it's likely there will be maps in the game that include Lumen and some that don't (larger ones with more characters likely wont). Lumen is great- but it's quite heavy!

As far as I know, you should be able to activate Lumen within the options menu ingame I think, so you could make it a players choice.. but, it's still your choice and not others

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
As far as I know, you should be able to activate Lumen within the options menu ingame I think, so you could make it a players choice.. but, it's still your choice and not others
Unfortunately it's a bit more complicated than that. If you switch off Lumen, you can't use realtime reflections either- meaning you'd need to have box/sphere reflection captures in your scene that are enabled when Lumen reflections are disabled. You'd also need to change most lights from Moveable to Static and bake the lightmaps (and switch to baked lighting when Lumen is turned off). As far as I know though, what you're suggesting should be possible. In the graphics settings for my game, changing from High to Medium will already disable Lumen. But switching smoothly between lighting/reflection methods is something I'm still experimenting with.

Are you using daz chars and genitials??
If yes how did you manage to blend gential and char in UE4. I am trying to do the same and failing
Yes I am. I am assuming that by blend you mean getting the materials for the gens to work seamlessly. It's easier to do for female gens, since they use the same UV mapping as the Base Genesis 8.1 character. Dicks are a bit more complicated since they have their own UV map. Take a look at the texture coordinate node- it's very helpful when trying to get materials for the gens to work correctly.

88Michele88

Bloodborn Vampire
Game Developer
Apr 22, 2018
Tech rambling! I thought I'd start to get stuff ready for the male MC. It won't be playable on release. But I am getting stuff ready- materials, textures, morphs, etc- so that it can be added shortly after release. This will require me to edit the character creator a bit, so that all the settings and such can be swapped out when the male MC is chosen. But the core logic of it all is already written.

One important decision for me when it comes to the male MC is the hairstyle. Back when I did Daz rendering, one hairstyle I really enjoyed for male characters was . It's highly modular and dforce enabled- and it has an interactive license, so I can use it in my game without worrying about Daz lawyers sending me nasty emails.

But there's a problem. This hairstyle is strand-based, which is not the same as most geometry-based hair in Daz. In order to bring Daz hair into UE, I had been using a for converting the hair to alembic grooms. Unfortunately, the addon completely shits the bed with strand-based hair. It just won't convert it. I tried all sorts of things- increasing/decreasing line tessellation, exporting in different formats. But I could not get the strand hair to convert.

Thankfully there is a solution. I came across a that shows you how to convert Daz dforce strand-based hair to alembic grooms, using Cinema4D and the Ornatrix plugin. However, both of these are highly expensive. Fortunately, C4D allows for a 14 day trial. And the Ornatrix plugin has a "demo" version that actually has all the functionality of the full plugin, the only difference being that you cannot actually save the file to come back and work on later. But that's no problem, as I can finish the hair in one sitting without having to save.

Once the hair is converted using Ornatrix, you can simply import into UE as an alembic groom, as you would for hair that is converted using the Blender plugin.

So, I can finally get the Bristol hair into UE. Here is the result:

There's some sort of scaling issue with the scalp not fitting correctly but that should just be a matter of tweaking values until it fits.

So, I'm very glad that my favorite Daz hair for male characters is usable in UE, which should make for some great results for the male MC.
He look like sissyboy.

88Michele88

Bloodborn Vampire
Game Developer
Apr 22, 2018
Hey everybody, thought I’d start a development thread for a game I’ve been working on for the last few months. It’s a real-time adult game created in UE5 with high graphical fidelity, story-driven, and with RPG elements. The game is very much under development, and the clips I share here are heavily subject to change. There is some obvious incompleteness that I intend to fix up before releasing anything.

First off, the main menu system is more or less functional, and will include the ability to pause in-game (for saving) or to adjust the graphics. I may do some tweaking of the visuals and logos, but it’s basically ready:

Character creation system overview:

Here’s an older clip of the game demonstrating free-roam mechanics and the ability to adjust player morphs on the fly. You may notice the animations are strange looking (particularly the hands). This will all be corrected before release; but the locomotion is working.

Cinematic character introductions (incomplete- expect one of these for all NPCs in the game)

Cinematic dialogue with branching choices:

So what can you expect from this game?
  • In-depth character customization including many body shape options, hairstyles, skin details and customized anatomy (male OR female)
  • Cutting-edge graphical fidelity, including UE5 Lumen (real-time global illuminations+reflections)
  • DLSS+FSR2 upscaling (works on AMD and RTX cards)
  • But what if I have an absolute toaster of a PC? Well, the game is meant to be high-fidelity, but the graphics menu has the option to turn everything way down, from textures to shadows to post-processing. I cannot guarantee the game will run well on your laptop with a 2GB dedicated GPU, but I will try like hell to make sure it can.
  • RPG trait menu (including skills such as strength, intelligence, charisma, etc). These will influence various activities you can do in-game, as well as dialogue choices
  • Perk menu (choose various optional fetishes your character can have, which will influence your lust meter)
  • Cinematic dialogue sequences with branching dialogue choices (witcher 3 style)
  • A wide variety of clothing options your character can wear, some of which you start with, and some of which can be obtained in-game
  • The ability to set the anatomy type of ANY NPC in the game (You can make any character futa, or not!)
  • Photo mode. Get the perfect screenshot whenever or wherever
  • Intriguing plot lines with humor and drama
  • An immersive world where NPCs will react to the state of your player (run around naked, people might be shocked!
It’s important to note that these are vast systems which require a lot of time to develop to make sure everything works correctly together. I am but a lone developer, however I intend to see my vision through. This means that when the game is published, if the financial backing of the community is strong enough, things will get done better and faster as I expand the team.

I am currently not accepting any donations for the development of the game. When I publish the release version, the Patreon will go live simultaneously, where Patreons will have access to bonus COSMETIC content (story content will NEVER be paywalled), voting in polls to influence development decisions, access to the discord, as well as access to the latest release of the game instantly.

I will be updating this thread sporadically as I complete features that I find interesting to share. Currently, I am finishing up the opening dialogue for one of the first NPCs you will meet in the game. Then, I plan to introduce the second NPC. The timeframe for release is around ~2 months, and I expect to have a playable version available by the end of August.

Please, feel free to share your thoughts or opinions on the clips I've posted. I have A LOT to work on, so rest assured if there is something you noticed that needs improving, it's something I am aware of and will try my hardest to fix before release.
So female protagonist? I like it.

88Michele88

Bloodborn Vampire
Game Developer
Apr 22, 2018
Yes, I can share a bit more about the story:

Currently there is only the option to play as a female MC. When I started working on the creator I wanted to do both male/female MCs, but I realized it would take a lot more time to implement the male character that could be used for other systems (such as dialogue). The good news is since I have the futa stuff all working (materials+physics) it should speed things up for adding male customizable characters down the line.

After you finish creating your character you wake up in your bedroom, which has some customizable options (lights, bedframe, bedsheets) and a wardrobe/makeup area. I would also like for the player to be able to purchase/obtain things from quests and display them in the bedroom (furniture, sex toys, etc)

Then you can walk around your house a bit and meet its inhabitants, the first of which is your "landlady" (I know- the title is customizable, you can change it to whatever you want) who has some requests, which will lead to you meeting your other (female) "roommate". Eventually you leave your house and explore the neighborhood, meeting the inhabitants and completing tasks along the way, while expanding your wardrobe and unlocking NPC outfits. There will be both male and female NPCs to meet. And again, all of the female NPCs have the option to enable futa. If you're wondering why I'm being vague about specific plotlines, it's because I'm still thinking of some.

Thanks for your kind words about the art style :)
Can I choose play just Female portagonist or the story will force us to create male protagonist as well?

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Can I choose play just Female portagonist or the story will force us to create male protagonist as well?

You don't have to create a male character if you don't want to. The release version will only have female MC, because the customizer thus far has already been a lot of work (but the work I've done will speed up the implementation of the male MC significantly). I wanted to include the option for either, because some people are very excited to play as a female protag and others have no interest at all in playing as female.

• Red Heart
Reactions: 88Michele88

witcher234

Dec 20, 2020
How did you transfered morphs from char body to outfits , so that it doesnt poke through when you change your char body proportions ??

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
How did you transfered morphs from char body to outfits , so that it doesnt poke through when you change your char body proportions ??
I transfer morphs from the character mesh to the clothing in Blender and then fix up any remaining clipping with sculpting tools.

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Very cool, but reducing the breast bounce by about 1/2 when walking will make it feel more realistic.
I'll probably add the ability to change the amount of jiggle in the Character stats page of the inventory. It's a bit tricky because the UE physics asset can be annoying to work with (what you see in there isn't necessarily what you get in-game). The current settings are the result of hours upon hours of tweaking to get a result that was good enough, though obviously it can be improved upon.

Reactions: Cherry Popper

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Here are two clips showing my NEW customize system. This is the 3rd time I've re-done the UI, but it's all for the best. Now, all I have to do in order to add new content is add an entry to a datatable, whereas previously I was hard-coding certain values. Once the entry is added it's included in the system with no additional programming required. Also, this will extend the time before release (but not by much). I think though everyone will appreciate the additional time spent making the customizer more fluid.

Clothing customization:

Skin detail customization:

(sorry I couldn't embed the links- most stream sites do not want to host NSFW content)