Unreal Engine Afterparty [Development Thread]

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Update: There's now a mall you can visit, which will have different shops with things for you to buy. The first shop is called Passion8, and it's a lingerie store. The neon sign was made in Blender using geometry nodes (try it out , it's awesome). There's not much to do there atm since I haven't even begun filling the store with stuff yet. But you'll be able to try on different clothes, buy them if you have money, as well as buy outfits for NPCs. Should be pretty great when it's done.

Reactions: Nantec and slider

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
New character Emma. She works at the coffee shop at the mall. (There is some weirdness in the sequencer clip on this one, seems to be an issue with sequencer and doesn't occur in-game)

what fetishes are available? can we choose? like blackmail, cheating, ntr, domination..?
Yes, there will be fetishes you can choose for the MC at release. Which fetishes specifically will be in the game is a work in progress, but there are some listed at the end of the clip in my first post overviewing the char creator.

Reactions: Nantec and slider

slider

Jul 14, 2017
Looking good! I specially like the café. Will the stores be crowded with people and items in the future? Otherwise maybe you could make them smaller as in boutiques, that way they would be cosier and more realistic-looking.

I'd also add a door that leads to the staff quarters behind the counter in both instances and a bathroom to the café.

Reactions: Dilly_

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Looking good! I specially like the café. Will the stores be crowded with people and items in the future? Otherwise maybe you could make them smaller as in boutiques, that way they would be cosier and more realistic-looking.

I'd also add a door that leads to the staff quarters behind the counter in both instances and a bathroom to the café.

There will for sure be items and stuff for you to do in the store. Crowds, that's complicated. I would love to put crowds in the game, but that's not the sort of thing I'm focused on before release. It would probably entail creating a low quality character model that can be randomized, and then given random AI behavior, which is a topic I haven't looked into quite yet. Performance is my main concern right now, it's difficult enough to get the story NPCs optimized enough to run at a solid 60 FPS with everything else going on. Adding crowds into the game right now would be like pouring salt into the wound.

There is a bathroom in the mall close to the cafe that has some cool lights and stuff going on. Might add some stuff to do in there :)

Reactions: slider

Lewdpanda95

Sep 9, 2018
Great job so far Dilly_! You're definiely very skilled and I wish you lots of success with your project . I'm starting to experiment with Daz characters in UE5 myself and your project confirms that it can produce great results.

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Quick check in- Still here and still working on the project. Re-doing the UI for the character creator so things look a bit better. Also working on the inventory system, which will have a live preview of the character Witcher 3 style.

Yezper

Oct 11, 2017
Boy oh boy, this project is looking great!

What games, adult themed or not, have been inspirational in making this one?

Looking forward to testing it out when you the time is right!

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Boy oh boy, this project is looking great!

What games, adult themed or not, have been inspirational in making this one?

Looking forward to testing it out when you the time is right!

Summertime Saga was a pretty big inspiration for me. Obviously there are vast differences with a project like this and a VN- But I like the freedom to explore the world as you wish, different characters being in different locations at different times of day, relationship progression, etc. These aren't unique to Summertime Saga, but I do like that style of game in the context of adult games.

The cinematic dialogue and skill checks found in Bethesda games and games like the Witcher was something I always wanted to include. Those are of course large studios with entire teams working on that aspect, so I will need to dumb it down a lot. But the basic feel of the dialogue will still be there. UE has cine cameras, which make it pretty easy to give dialogue that "cinematic" feel.

The game will be released with a ton of stuff unfinished. But that was always the plan. I need financial backing to make the game bigger and expand the team. But I don't want to release it until there's at least some polished features and stuff to do. One positive for the vision of the game being so large though is that there are always things to work on, and if I get tired of working on one thing, I can do something completely different and come back to it later.

BigDaddyDom

Mar 4, 2020
Wow, this is really impressive so far. I've always thought this would be a great idea, but don't have the technical know-how to execute this - if you can pull this off I'm sure it will be quite popular!

Love the free roam and customization of the characters, the attention to detail is amazing. I'm not really into female protag's though, so hoping you will find a way to incorporate male MC's at some point as you mentioned. Also hoping there will be an option for the male MC to be a "landlord" who can interact with his female "tenants" ;) That will help build a huge following I'm sure

Here's a bit of an early preview at what sex will actually look like in the game. It's a bit tricky to keep everything aligned given all the different morphs the player can have, I am still exploring solutions on how best to do that, but I do have a system now similar to the honey select auxiliary animations that will allow you to manually adjust rotations until things more or less line up.

I did plan on adding some morphs for the male MC, but definitely not as many for the female MC. Changing the dialogue context for male/female characters will be relatively straight forward, since the dialogue system allows for condition checking. Speaking of which...

I'm working on implementing NPC reactions to the character based on their clothing state. The way it works is, when the player enters the NPC's "interact" sphere, they do a check to see the player's clothing state, and then change their expressions accordingly. If you walk up to an NPC naked, they will be shocked. If you're wearing lingerie (or something similar that isn't socially acceptable to walk around casually in) they might act confused or find it funny. Like everything else, it's a work in progress:

And yes, you will be able to change NPC outfits (after you unlock them from doing tasks/quests) and NPC anatomy. I wasn't planning to add NPC morphs to the same extent as the MC though
Am I the only ones that can't play these vids?

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Wow, this is really impressive so far. I've always thought this would be a great idea, but don't have the technical know-how to execute this - if you can pull this off I'm sure it will be quite popular!

Love the free roam and customization of the characters, the attention to detail is amazing. I'm not really into female protag's though, so hoping you will find a way to incorporate male MC's at some point as you mentioned. Also hoping there will be an option for the male MC to be a "landlord" who can interact with his female "tenants" ;) That will help build a huge following I'm sure

Am I the only ones that can't play these vids?
I'll be adding male MCs, likely very soon after the release of the game. The reason they aren't included already is simply because my own interest was in customizing female characters. But I also needed to figure out how to do everything, and now that I am very close to finishing the female customization I can apply all of that knowledge to male characters. Though I don't imagine the male customization will include nearly as many body morph options for example. Giving your male MC a huge ass would be very comedic but not something I imagine most people would actually want to do, and therefore it would be hard to justify devoting time to customization like that for males :cool:

The embed feature doesn't seem to like drive links, but the videos are working for me if I press the pop-out button in the corner.

Reactions: BigDaddyDom

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Added an expression menu. Was already using these in dialogue sequences but decided to add them to the character creator as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: LooLoo Baloo

Sconner66

Nov 8, 2021
Great start, I'm a UE dev so feel free to drop me a PM if you ever get stuck on anything engine related