Loopy

Jul 25, 2017
You get backed into different corners by Ren'py and RAGS, but there's no reason a game from one can't be ported to the other in some form.

RAGS enforces the concept of turns and rooms, and pins down where and how a player can interact with the game a bit more rigidly. That simplifies things somewhat because coders need not concern themselves with certain lower-level game states, aside from checking them in the appropriate places. On the other hand, the RAGS development tool feels like it was built with code obfuscation in mind, so troubleshooting, or picking up a project after some time can be awful.

Ren'py is less rigid, and makes troubleshooting and such simpler in my opinion, but if you wanted to have RAGS concepts like rooms, turns, and timers, you have to do it yourself, at least to some extent. That's might be what WifeTrainer means when he talks about the low-level code being ready. They've spent a few months wrapping RAGS concepts around Ren'py so it's easier to implement characters, rooms, and associated events in a way that mirrors the original game.

JC23

Sep 25, 2016
Would you say GGGB is non-linear? I imagined that Wife Trainer would be too complex for Ren'py, considering all the variables in the Rags game.
I don't think Wife Trainer is super complex like you are making it to be. WifeTrainer(dev) made it more complex than it should've been on the coding, it was a little bit of a mess tbh. All the concepts of the coding can be ported to Ren'py, it just takes time and imo it's way easier to work on ren'py than it is on RAGS. It should have a script for the core(MC and items), one for each girl and one for every location. The UI it's the only thing that I don't really see how it could work without a massive change.
EDIT: The structure I recommended it's close to what WifeTrainer would probably do because it makes it easier to mod girls into the game and a little harder to change the mechanics of the game.

Davox

Jul 15, 2017
Would you say GGGB is non-linear? I imagined that Wife Trainer would be too complex for Ren'py, considering all the variables in the Rags game.
They've not publicly said which platform its being delivered for. A couple of people produced a test Ren'py version in Sept, but since then Wifetrainer has made posts stating that the programming language has yet to be decided.

We should know more next month.

Reactions: Kaparzo

Davox

Jul 15, 2017
And hey, porting it to renpy would make it easier to cheat on i'd imagine.
The main driver for the Programming language seems to be modability, WT wants to make it easier for other people to add in new models.

I don't know the ins and outs of any of these programming languages but whilst cheating is very easy in Ren'py I've not seen any Ren'py games where lots of people have the ability to add content. It obviously can be done (see big brother), but the small amount of people producing mods suggests its not particularity easy.

JC23

Sep 25, 2016
The main driver for the Programming language seems to be modability, WT wants to make it easier for other people to add in new models.

I don't know the ins and outs of any of these programming languages but whilst cheating is very easy in Ren'py I've not seen any Ren'py games where lots of people have the ability to add content. It obviously can be done (see big brother), but the small amount of people producing mods suggests its not particularity easy.
Look at all akabur's mods, there are also cheating mods for a bunch of games. Problem for adding content is the lack of artists to replicate or crete new models/2d art but with WT you would only need RL pictures which are pretty easy to find. Ren'py is very easy to understand since it's based on python. Even if you don't have any programming experience you could reverse engineer a script with ease.

dfsegfse

Feb 8, 2018
You can make practically any type of 2D game in Ren'Py, where its main UI is screens / text / images / transitions / videos. Visual Novels, its main focus, are a subset of this, and what it is most "optimised" for; what it is easiest to make with.

However it is fully extendable with the general programming language Python, so you can code it to do whatever with your hearts content. It is perfectly possible to emulate the entire "structure" of the RAGS system (or of a particlar game that was made within it), however you yourself need to write the framework to implement its concepts. *If* a general framework was written by someone then anyone could create a RAGS-style game with Ren'Py.

langworthy1264

Donor
Jun 16, 2017
Any one following there is dead download links on this page? I tried to download from the Upload and Mega, both path to file removed.

Davox

Jul 15, 2017
Its been months since the last update. Any idea what's going on and when will the next update drop ?
Go to the hypnotics thread for updates. There’s a few links on the previous page. Last time I checked there was no fixed date, but I understand he was expecting to have an announcement out early March.

MrGhostRider

Jun 7, 2017
Go to the hypnotics thread for updates. There’s a few links on the previous page. Last time I checked there was no fixed date, but I understand he was expecting to have an announcement out early March.
That site requires registration. I used to have one and followed back in the day, but now i have lost it and i don't want to create another one which i am going to barely use.

Can anyone shed some light on the current status of this game?
What happened to the open source wife trainer (spin off) ?

Davox

Jul 15, 2017
WT posted a few days ago go to say there is no news on the update so I 'd imagine the early March time frame he gave in Feb isn't happening.

The Open source version is still being developed by a few people, but a few people dropped out so he was looking for people with Renpy / Python coding skills to shorten the development time.

Whilst that is going on he still plans to keep updating the rags version himself.

Reactions: MrGhostRider

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
I don't think they'll too much need for cheating once it's on Ren'py and it plays like a proper game. Rags is a nightmare hellhole.

4.40 star(s) 67 Votes