Why so many viruses recently?

Nin382ja

Sep 10, 2021
So many games (exe files) contain viruses. I scan with virustotal and hybdrid analysis as reccomended and it's just nightmare. I used to ignore these but then rogue killer detected some viruses so since wiping my system clean I'm super cautious.

(I download by gofile and Mega only so it's always a safe download)

Anyone else experienced virus detections like me?

• Hey there
Reactions: Sneed's

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Personally no and, since you're the only one to have opened a thread about this recently, I guess that I'm far to be the only one. There were an outbreak of false positive (from marginal anti-viruses) few months ago, but that's all.

CaptainBipto

Sep 20, 2018
So many games (exe files) contain viruses. I scan with virustotal and hybdrid analysis as recommended and it's just nightmare. I used to ignore these but then rogue killer detected some viruses so since wiping my system clean I'm super cautious.

Apparently, I fall into the category of not encountering viruses like you.
I have downloaded things from Gofile, Mega, Pixeldrain, Mediafire, and a few others I can't remember and haven't encountered any viruses.

I haven't seen anyone with something like Kaspersky, BitDefender, AVG, or Norton popping up in a thread and saying 'Hey, Kaspersky/BitDefender/Norton found a virus in this exe'.
However, I do see people saying that they used VirusTotal and it found 'viruses', those messages are usually followed up by people using things like BitDefender or Kaspersky saying they scanned it and didn't find a single thing wrong with it.

I have never used VirusTotal, but it doesn't sound like a great service if it is generating so many false virus detections.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
nope. the last time I even heard about a virus here was like 3 years ago. I think it's highly unlikely you've ran into viruses, simply based on them being so rare here AND you having so many detections of them. the odds of a rare thing happening to one person many many times are incredibly low, so probably there's some other explanation.

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
So many games (exe files) contain viruses. I scan with virustotal and hybdrid analysis as reccomended and it's just nightmare. I used to ignore these but then rogue killer detected some viruses so since wiping my system clean I'm super cautious.

Firstly, Virustotal is not as efficient, read up on this article

Secondly, i think you meant Hybrid Analysis.

Furthermore, my recommendation to you is get a stronger and more reliable anti virus protection program. i recommend that you use Bitdefender or Norton.

Lastly, you might be getting virus detection for .exe files perhaps because Virustotal and Hybrid Analysis are not reliable enough.

twinklecake

May 21, 2018
Free AVS are invariably shit. Do the 15 minutes of diligence to google up some worthy products and then actually pay some money to properly protect your data, especially if you're involved in degenerate sites like F95. Virustotal even publicly sells URLs and presumably a bunch of auxiliary data involved with any detections to other AVS providers and is known to give its users a whole lotta false positives.

To actually answer the question though, Firefox will occasionally want to delete a file I just downloaded if I try to open it directly from the browser, which is almost the same issue due to it being plugged up to the gills.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: hu lover

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
Free AVS are invariably shit. Do the 15 minutes of diligence to google up some worthy products and then actually pay some money to properly protect your data, especially if you're involved in degenerate sites like F95. Virustotal even publicly sells URLs and presumably a bunch of auxiliary data involved with any detections to other AVS providers and is known to give its users a whole lotta false positives.

To actually answer the question though, Firefox will occasionally want to delete a file I just downloaded if I try to open it directly from the browser, which is almost the same issue due to it being plugged up to the gills.
Good and detailed explanation. (y)

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Virustotal [...] and is known to give its users a whole lotta false positives.
Well, virustotal just report what the different anti-virus are saying, but yeah, it's surely virustotal fault, not those cheap anti-virus that are shitty.

twinklecake

May 21, 2018
Well, virustotal just report what the different anti-virus are saying, but yeah, it's surely virustotal fault, not those cheap anti-virus that are shitty.
Yeah, generally you're at fault if you act on shit intel you gain from shit sources. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
Virustotal is inefficient and terrible to use and has flaws, this article states that clearly.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah, generally you're at fault if you act on shit intel you gain from shit sources. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
Good. So, as you just said yourself, the faulty here are the users who can't read a report giving a list of detection software, coupled to the result they returned, and not the site that is doing absolutely nothing more than providing the said list.

Thanks for your participation, don't hesitate to play again.

twinklecake

May 21, 2018
Good. So, as you just said yourself, the faulty here are the users who can't read a report giving a list of detection software, coupled to the result they returned, and not the site that is doing absolutely nothing more than providing the said list.

Thanks for your participation, don't hesitate to play again.
Man, you seem kind of unhappy.

Reactions: verified dick

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Virustotal is inefficient and terrible to use and has flaws, this article states that clearly.

Quora is a forum where people ask questions and get answers. It's not a publication, it's not peer reviewed, and it can have wrong answers just as easily as any question asked here can receive wrong answers. Like Reddit, answers are upvoted/downvoted - but still users should take any answers with a grain of salt. It's a beginning to a journey of understanding, not a destination.

Also, the link you provide is not saying what you are saying it is saying.
1707009027227.png 1707009081194.png

That said - VirusTotal is not the problem. The problem are people who think when three definitions say there is a virus (notably including Jiangmin, usually) when the other 60+ say it is clean that people think "OMG - this has a virus!" instead of using common sense.

As to the OP's question - Kaspersky has been popping false positives as of late and browsers were alerting users of possible malware/phishing because of how the filehost's mirrors were named.

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
Quora is a forum where people ask questions and get answers. It's not a publication, it's not peer reviewed, and it can have wrong answers just as easily as any question asked here can receive wrong answers. Like Reddit, answers are upvoted/downvoted - but still users should take any answers with a grain of salt. It's a beginning to a journey of understanding, not a destination.

Also, the link you provide is not saying what you are saying it is saying.
View attachment 3324105 View attachment 3324108

That said - VirusTotal is not the problem. The problem are people who think when three definitions say there is a virus (notably including Jiangmin, usually) when the other 60+ say it is clean that people think "OMG - this has a virus!" instead of using common sense.

As to the OP's question - Kaspersky has been popping false positives as of late and browsers were alerting users of possible malware/phishing because of how the filehost's mirrors were named.
Thank you Count Morado for your clarity on the site Quora, i myself was not aware that it was a site that could have misleading or wrong answers. :)

i find it interesting how you say that filehost's mirrors were named differently and could be potentially malicious and risky because of this. :unsure:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
[...] (notably including Jiangmin, usually) [...]
Personally, knowing how much China is active into the cyberwar, and how much the Chinese government can be intrusive when it come to Chinese industries, I wouldn't trust a Chinese anti-virus, whatever it can say about a file safety.

• Hey there
Reactions: Count Morado

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Personally, knowing how much China is active into the cyberwar, and how much the Chinese government can be intrusive when it come to Chinese industries, I wouldn't trust a Chinese anti-virus, whatever it can say about a file safety.
You sinophobic snail snuffer, you. :Kappa:

• Sad
Reactions: anne O'nymous

1tomadeira

Engaged Member
May 25, 2017
Just use windows update, your microsoft secure probably doesn't have DB updated. Some false positives happen around here as well before updating.