• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Why do so many developers mix straight and trans content in one game?

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
Each to their own, each dev does their own stuff for whatever reasons, be it targeting a specific fan base or simply because that is what they want to do, though I'd just say they're trying to cover as many fields as they possibly can with what they're doing.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
As a straight man, I like straight and lesbian content, I don't like gay and trans content.

I can imagine a gay or a trans can like gay and trans content.

But is there really anyone here who enjoys both straight and trans content.?
Firstly, your title is not correct.
4155 titles added/updated in the last year that are not marked as abandoned​
84%, or 3503 titles do not have gay, futa/trans, trap tags​
11%, or 457 titles have futa/trans or trap as tags (354 without gay tag, 103 with gay tag)​
5%, or 195 titles have gay tag, but no futa/trans, trap tags​
In no sense of the word is 11% "many".​
Secondly, there is a market for a variety of sexual identities and preferences in the adult gaming community.

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
If we consider trans people, who are less than 1% of the population, 11% of games with trans content is a lot.
But ok, trans people might be overrepresented among adult game players, no problem.

If someone is targeting exclusively trans and gay players, it makes sense to me.

But I guess most straight people see trans content as uninteresting at best and repulsive at worst.
So if a developer's main target audience is straight people, my guess is that trans content will turn off more players than it attracts.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
If we consider trans people, who are less than 1% of the population, 11% of games with trans content is a lot.
But ok, trans people might be overrepresented among adult game players, no problem.

If someone is targeting exclusively trans and gay players, it makes sense to me.

But I guess most straight people see trans content as uninteresting at best and repulsive at worst.
So if a developer's main target audience is straight people, my guess is that trans content will turn off more players than it attracts.
You are making a lot of assumptions. While you have identified yourself in one range and have sexual preference that nearly align with that, others cover the spectrum. There's no need to be shaming anyone on their identities and preferences (your 4th sentence).
General Rule 1 of this site applies in the forum you posted this thread.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
and what's wrong with that it's their game not yours they trying to make something different and make it more realistic

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Diversity in cast, devs do not really think the players will play all content, I surely do not when making my games.
Some people like blonde heroines, so they go for the blonde.
Some people like big tits, so they go for the big tits heroine.
Some people like small tits and pubic hair, so they go for that one, and so on...

There are games that focus on a specific genre (All big tits heroines, or all small tits heroines), and others that prefer a very diverse cast to attract multiple people with different tastes. It is nothing new.

Geralt_R

Jun 4, 2022
None of that bothers me at all. As long as everything is entirely optional. Games like Tales from The Unending Void do a pretty good job with that, it's entirely up to the player to go this or that route. And if a game is explicitly just about gay or trans or whatever then there's always the very simple choice of "not playing it" if that is nothing you want to see, since there are a bazillion other titles out there you can enjoy that don't have this content or make it entirely optional so that you never need to see it if you don't want to.

Inclusion combined with choice is never a bad thing. Things only go south when choice is removed. However, if a game is apparently targeting a certain demographic and is very open about it choice is not always necessary, not everything always needs to be for everybody, that would be pretty boring after a while if all VNs had to agree on the lowest common denominator. I am someone who mostly enjoys wholesome and vanilla, so I simply ignore everything that explores things that are not my cup of tea at all, ignoring things is easy, there is no reason to be offended by anything at all, let other people enjoy things they like even if you do not like them. No one will ever make you play a VN, it's always your very own choice.

And about people enjoying all kinds of content, I mean, why not, maybe some people roleplay an MC and don't self insert themselves every time, or maybe they really do enjoy a wide variety of things and are happy they are given a choice. Nothing bad about this at all. Live and let live.

Reactions: PsyTurtle

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
The attraction of trans women to straight men is an odd, but super, interesting rabbit hole to dive into. Sexual interaction, in and of itself, to a trans woman doesn't inherently make a man gay. Trans women generally view themselves as women. They often live their lives as women. They prefer being referred to as women. So, what separates them from a biological woman? Testosterone and genitals, but seeing as the former often dissipates further into transition and the latter is an expensive and often dangerous surgery, many keep their biological genitals for some time or even their entire life.

Put that next to a woman who has, say, Vaginismus, for example. Which is the involuntary tightening of the vagina. This often makes natural sex difficult, if not impossible for women. So, you have a woman who can't sex vaginally and a biological male who identifies as a woman (who is obviously restricted to anal and oral.). What exactly separates them at that point? If the fucker views the fuckee as a woman, and the fuckee also views themself as a woman, then isn't that still straight?

You're fetishizing what amounts to someone essentially being born in the wrong body, which isn't going to make sense as it doesn't make sense in and of itself. Sure, you could argue that throwing a trans women into a game made for sex is still fetishizing (and it is.), but the dev often includes it because it's their taste - a taste that's far more common than most men would have you believe. That's not even getting into the whole 'shemale' side of things. So, again, trans content isn't inherently gay - as said character, if portrayed accurately, doesn't identify as a man. It's your view of trans women that makes it gay. That's not to say you're a homophobe or a bigot, you just aren't attracted to trans women. That's fine, you do you. Get off on whatever you get off of. But shoving trans and gay content (despite the irony of enjoying lesbian content.), especially given how psychologically rooted the former is, into the same pile is narrow-sighted.

As Geralt_R said, it's often a choice (unless the game is built around Futanari, but that something different entirely) most games. While I tend to laugh at the word 'inclusion' and 'representation', as they're both demeaning and patronizing to those its being aimed at, there's nothing wrong with a dev including it if they enjoy it.

gunderson

Aug 17, 2016
I think the OP's point is completely reasonable as long as they are currently financially supporting the game in question. If so, they absolutely get to say whether or not they like the direction the game's development is going. They can tell the dev that they think spending development time and money on gay or trans content, whether optional content or not, is a bad use of said time and money; and they can threaten to or actually stop funding that project, at any time and for whatever reason.

But if you're not supporting the game or working on its development itself, I don't think you have a leg to stand on as far as what content it should or shouldn't have.

Diabowlique

Apr 14, 2018
It's because western adult content creators conflate Futa (popular) with trans/tranny/shamale (not). And by popular I mean relative to any niche kink.

If you separated the tags, trans would almost disappear and you'd see nearly no devs putting it as an option in the game.

Why?

Because the thing that non-futa people miss is futa-fans are aligning themselves with the futa character not the person the futa is fucking. That's why if you look on any hentai-manga site or 3d adult animation site. 90% of the futa content is futa on female or futa on futa and tons of straight people are futa fans.

That's why nearly all 'futa' games flop while futa 3d animators make $$$.

But in my opinion, it's that misunderstanding that gives the impression that there is some decent income to be gotten is why that content is included sometimes in male protagonist games.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARB582

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Nah. You are assuming that because a girl have a dick (let's say, a MtF) I, as a gay man, I should like it? sorry man, it doesn't work that way. If the dick comes attached to a woman, I'm not even getting close to it. Period.

But on the contrary, an attractive and masculine man with a pussy? (FtM). I would fuck him.

Last edited:

kharza

Jan 23, 2018
The attraction of trans women to straight men is an odd, but super, interesting rabbit hole to dive into. Sexual interaction, in and of itself, to a trans woman doesn't inherently make a man gay. Trans women generally view themselves as women. They often live their lives as women. They prefer being referred to as women. So, what separates them from a biological woman? Testosterone and genitals, but seeing as the former often dissipates further into transition and the latter is an expensive and often dangerous surgery, many keep their biological genitals for some time or even their entire life.

Put that next to a woman who has, say, Vaginismus, for example. Which is the involuntary tightening of the vagina. This often makes natural sex difficult, if not impossible for women. So, you have a woman who can't sex vaginally and a biological male who identifies as a woman (who is obviously restricted to anal and oral.). What exactly separates them at that point? If the fucker views the fuckee as a woman, and the fuckee also views themself as a woman, then isn't that still straight?

You're fetishizing what amounts to someone essentially being born in the wrong body, which isn't going to make sense as it doesn't make sense in and of itself. Sure, you could argue that throwing a trans women into a game made for sex is still fetishizing (and it is.), but the dev often includes it because it's their taste - a taste that's far more common than most men would have you believe. That's not even getting into the whole 'shemale' side of things. So, again, trans content isn't inherently gay - as said character, if portrayed accurately, doesn't identify as a man. It's your view of trans women that makes it gay. That's not to say you're a homophobe or a bigot, you just aren't attracted to trans women. That's fine, you do you. Get off on whatever you get off of. But shoving trans and gay content (despite the irony of enjoying lesbian content.), especially given how psychologically rooted the former is, into the same pile is narrow-sighted.

As Geralt_R said, it's often a choice (unless the game is built around Futanari, but that something different entirely) most games. While I tend to laugh at the word 'inclusion' and 'representation', as they're both demeaning and patronizing to those its being aimed at, there's nothing wrong with a dev including it if they enjoy it.
I think the way you describe it is way too idealistic. For me as a straight male the dealbreaker would be whether I´m able to tell the difference. If someone has a "vibe" of a woman and looks like a woman then even if she had a body of a male originally I wouldn´t mind at all to have a relationship and sex with her. However as long as I´m able to tell tell the difference either in body or mind I wouldn´t be able to sexually view them as a woman. And I think this speaks for most straight men.

If you are able to get aroused from someone who thinks of themselves as a woman, but has a body of a man chances are most likely you would get aroused from the bodies of men as well. The way we are progressing I wouldn´t be surprised if the procedure of transitions gets "perfected" in a few decades, which I think would eventually solve most problems connected to it.

But answering the thread I don´t even think there are many games that have straight and trans mixed, and even those that have I think are in most cases optional. I´ve played 100+ games from this site and maybe 2 of them had trans content, in both cases fully optional. And seriously why complain about content that you can just skip?

Last edited:
Reactions: MissFortune

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I think the way you describe it is way too idealistic. For me as a straight male the dealbreaker would be whether I´m able to tell the difference. If someone has a "vibe" of a woman and looks like a woman then even if she had a body of a male originally I wouldn´t mind at all to have a relationship and sex with her. However as long as I´m able to tell tell the difference either in body or mind I wouldn´t be able to sexually view them as a woman. And I think this speaks for most straight man.
It being idealistic or not is another discussion entirely. My response was more rooted in the OP's narrow-sightedness (and hypocrisy. I mean, you aren't cool with gay men, which is fine, but then immediately turn say lesbians are fine? Which is still inherently gay content.) of trans women and gay men being lumped into the same pile, because they obviously aren't. One identifies as a biological male attracted to other males, and many studies enforce that idea. Gay men typically won't sleep with trans women. Whereas a trans women often, brushing widely here, are attracted to heterosexual males or remain attracted to women while still identifying as a woman. Whether someone is attracted to someone who identifies as woman is up to said individual. It's not my place to say who or who shouldn't be attracted to something.

But the reality is that there's a lot of men out there attracted to trans women (or 'shemales' in a fetishistic sense). There was a university study with 205 men interested in trans women. In that survey, 51% identified as straight, 41% as bisexual, and the remainder as gay. Granted, a rather small sample size. But the numbers themselves are still telling. Again, all of this boils down to taste. While I'm a bit more 'sexually open' to in a lot of regards than the average guy is, some obviously aren't going to feel the same way, especially in the sense of vocalizing it. Hence the option is most games.

If you are able to get aroused from someone who thinks of themselves as a woman, but has a body of a man chances are most likely you would get aroused from the bodies of men as well. The way we are progressing I wouldn´t be surprised if the procedure of transitions gets "perfected" in a few decades, which I think would eventually solve most problems connected to it
That's a solid assessment, but not necessarily exact. Most trans women, at least some level into their transition, are usually going to appear more feminine than they aren't. In an attempt to 'pass'. We aren't talking about crossdressing here. A lot of these women are on HRT, or the more financially stable, have gotten surgeries done. A lot of them exercise in ways that expand on their already feminine features, or features that are more easily achievable via exercise (e.g. waist/hips, ass, stomach, etc.). Naturally some are going to look more masculine, especially with such massive variance in stages.

As for surgeries, the technology and science is definitely getting there. But will it ever see the light of day? We're already seeing many regular people (e.g. non-conservative/republican/far-right) have issues with Twitter/'Progressive' Leftists pushing younger teens (and even younger sometimes) toward this this pro-LGBTQ+, 'cis is evil' mindset (along with the overexposure of Pride and 'family friendly' drag shows, another inherent oxymoron. But that's nor here nor there.), so how will people react to a life-altering surgery becoming easily/readily available? I'm all for it with the correct standards in place (e.g. 21+, psychologically stable, etc.), but there'll obviously be backlash on it. As there always is, especially lately.

But answering the thread I don´t even think there are many games that have straight and trans mixed, and even those that have I think are in most cases optional. I´ve played 100+ games from this site and maybe 2 of them had trans content, in both cases fully optional. And seriously why complain about content that you can just skip?
I know it's not a perfect recipe, but a search in "Latest Updates" including the tags "futa/trans" and "vaginal sex" while excluding "futa/trans protagonist" brings up 517 total games. If you narrow it down to just Ren'py projects, it's a 176 games. Still a fair bit. I'd also roll with the assumption that all of them are likely optional, as well. 100% on the last part, though. I'll never understand why people waste their time complaining about something they don't like in the first place.

Reactions: kharza and morphnet

kharza

Jan 23, 2018
But the reality is that there's a lot of men out there attracted to trans women (or 'shemales' in a fetishistic sense). There was a university study with 205 men interested in trans women. In that survey, 51% identified as straight, 41% as bisexual, and the remainder as gay. Granted, a rather small sample size. But the numbers themselves are still telling. Again, all of this boils down to taste. While I'm a bit more 'sexually open' to in a lot of regards than the average guy is, some obviously aren't going to feel the same way, especially in the sense of vocalizing it. Hence the option is most games.
The problem with this survey data is that it in no way provides any information about how big of a portion of straight males is attracted to trans women, because it was taken only from people who are attracted to trans women. The only point it proves that many men who are attracted to trans woman view themselves as straight, but no retroactive inference can be made from it. It doesn´t have any implications on the number or the percentage of straight males that are attracted to trans women.

That's a solid assessment, but not necessarily exact. Most trans women, at least some level into their transition, are usually going to appear more feminine than they aren't. In an attempt to 'pass'. We aren't talking about crossdressing here. A lot of these women are on HRT, or the more financially stable, have gotten surgeries done. A lot of them exercise in ways that expand on their already feminine features, or features that are more easily achievable via exercise (e.g. waist/hips, ass, stomach, etc.). Naturally some are going to look more masculine, especially with such massive variance in stages.
I don´t really know, because it´s hard to tell how attraction works on a psychological and physical level. As far as transition procedures aren´t perfect or at least nearly perfect transwomen/men will have the physical attributes of both men and women. Now as we know people can be born to be attracted to the attributes/features of man and/or woman. If they are attracted to both men and women it would make sense that they would attracted or at least acceptable of transwomen/men.

But would you say that someone is born to love bdsm sex or let´s even say scat? ( I really don´t mean this comparison as an insult I just want to portray that there are sexual acts people are born to instinctually feel disgust towards) I think the obvious answer would be no. People grow to like or instinctually dislike these kinks (or they stay neutral about it). Now if someone straight is attracted to transwomen/men I think it could be better described as a developed kink than a sexual preference. Of course there still will be straight people who love transwomen/men, but I would say they love them despite them not fully having the traits of the gender they are attracted to and never because of it. By this I don´t mean to imply that if someone has the traits of your kink your love towards them can´t be genuine.
My viewpoint on this is maybe a little cruel, but this is my basis for saying that the overwhelming portion of straight men/women won´t be attracted to transwomen/men.

As for surgeries, the technology and science is definitely getting there. But will it ever see the light of day? We're already seeing many regular people (e.g. non-conservative/republican/far-right) have issues with Twitter/'Progressive' Leftists pushing younger teens (and even younger sometimes) toward this this pro-LGBTQ+, 'cis is evil' mindset (along with the overexposure of Pride and 'family friendly' drag shows, another inherent oxymoron. But that's nor here nor there.), so how will people react to a life-altering surgery becoming easily/readily available? I'm all for it with the correct standards in place (e.g. 21+, psychologically stable, etc.), but there'll obviously be backlash on it. As there always is, especially lately.
I think as soon as the technology is there it will happen sooner than later. Not saying all countries will adapt/allow it, but human curiosity somewhat matches up to human greed. If by that time we are not all fighting for survival on a post-apocalyptic Earth, in which case it may get delayed indefinitely.

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
Well, personally I consider myself a straight man but I don't see any issue with most futa, trans, even traps in games, they tend to be absolutely feminine and if it wasn't for the dick they would be fully female in most cases.

It may depend on viewpoint but for example if there is any antagonist in the story I prefer for that antagonist to be a futa/trans/trap compared to another male.

But well, in the end I guess that it all depends on how much of a turnoff you get from your partner having a dick, personally when I see most futanari women I just don't care, most of them are really beautiful.

Fzeren

Sep 25, 2020
But is there really anyone here who enjoys both straight and trans content.?
I like straight, gay & 'trans' content. The reason developers include more variety in their game is to appeal to a wider audience. That being said, it does bother me when the gay or 'trans' content is just like one single scene in the entire game. Feels like false advertisement.

Fzeren

Sep 25, 2020
You're fetishizing what amounts to someone essentially being born in the wrong body, which isn't going to make sense as it doesn't make sense in and of itself. Sure, you could argue that throwing a trans women into a game made for sex is still fetishizing (and it is.)
I think I've finally found one in the wild...? I like it when a woman has a dick, do you think that amounts to me 'fetishizing' transwomen?

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I think I've finally found one in the wild...? I like it when a woman has a dick, do you think that amounts to me 'fetishizing' transwomen?
I think context is important, as is specifying the nature of said fetishizing. There's nothing wrong with fetishizing anything, short of the obvious not-so-legal stuff. People enjoy what they enjoy. I think it sort of ends up working the same way as it would with the whole BBC/Black New World Order type stuff. It's fine in porn, fiction, or games, but as with any fetish, most know where to draw the line and separate the fetishes/fantasies and reality/real people.

When you're attracted to a trans woman, are you just attracted to the idea of an attractive girl having a dick or are you attracted to the girl herself and then the dick? Speaking purely in pornographic and adult terms, there's nothing wrong with being attracted to an attractive girl with dick for her dick. It doesn't matter if she's being fetishized or even objectified, both are places they put themselves and are choices they were (hopefully) comfortable with.

I think that's where the distinction lies with fetishizing, at least in my opinion. If someone attracted to a trans woman came across one in real life, do they view them in the same way you would a porn or game? Do they treat them the same way (speaking figuratively, that is.)? Would they only pursue them for their dick? The reality is that a lot of trans women don't want to accept their dick (usually rooted within gender dysphoria) or even acknowledge the existence of it. They'd rather be treated like a woman (or rather, human.) and not a sex object. Obviously, there's exceptions, but that all changes by person and it isn't as if were talking about a real woman right now, either. So, yeah, I'd say you are, but again there's nothing really wrong with it in the sense of games or porn, either.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Theres confusion that comes from straight men not wanting to interact with trans conditioned people irl because they look/smell/sound/stride like uncanny men. Clever game developers get around that by having the trans character look like a woman and adding a penis to it. Straight men seem to be fine with seeing penises in porn.