• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Which style of drawing do you prefer ?

What's your preference?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Hello folks,

I am making a 2D game and I don't know which Art I want for my game, so I have 4 artists, I will link their twitter or deviant art account and you will help me which one I should chose for my medieval fantasy game :p

First one :

Second one :

Third one :

Last one :

Reactions: Facha

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Hello folks,

I am making a 2D game and I don't know which Art I want for my game, so I have 4 artists, I will link their twitter or deviant art account and you will help me which one I should chose for my medieval fantasy game :p

First one :

Second one :

Third one :

Last one :
All 4 of them are pretty good and I'd probably be interested in a game with any, but Afrobull's art has the most personality. It makes for a more engaging feeling.

ThanatosX

Jan 21, 2017
Second and third seem the most developed, colour and shading, very anime inspired simple sorta samey faces. Fourth has a very loli style and the first is sort of flat and cartoonish if one of those is the style you wanted for your game. I would rank 3,2,1,4. 2 and 3 close call.

Reactions: Spirox

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
While I was waiting for the post to load, I was picturing in my head the style I prefer so I could explain it here. :unsure:

Then I saw it was a poll. :cry:

Then I saw the first entry, and it fit what I had in my head so well that I almost didn't bother to look at the other three. :love:

That said, after checking out the other three, Afrobull is still the only one that fit exactly what I like. The others aren't bad, but they weren't my favorite style.

So, easy vote for me. :)

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Second. I like that shades and things around.

When I see something like that always get in front of eyes this video :
Great work.

Jashmyne

Oct 11, 2018
None of these are my style really, I prefer the style that Pandora's Box do or Nihaotomita personally but out of those 4 I would pick Afrobull.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Maybe I will just give everyone a girl to make lol, t
None of these are my style really, I prefer the style that Pandora's Box do or Nihaotomita personally but out of those 4 I would pick Afrobull.
Hum do you have a link for your style because I am kinda interested in other style too.

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
Not so sure, since artists may have a distinct style, but what they draw can be different. As in, some people mentioned themes, but thats not really an art style, at least for me.

Out of those 4, I would probably pick the first, Afrobull or the last, Watarurikka. Both are distinctive, not so generic, at least from the pictures you can find. And going by that, 2 and 3 are just too generic anime, and thats coming from someone that grew up with japanese hentai games.

Will still try the game, no matter which of those 4 do the art, they are still all talented and 2d games with custom art is always a big plus in my eyes.

MrBree

Jun 9, 2017
Are you planning on hiring one of these artists?
If so, I would actually ignore the artwork itself. They are similar enough that the specific style is probably much less important than other factors.
Off the top of my head: Can you work well with this person? Are they prompt and diligent in their work? Can they understand your vision for the game? I'm sure you can think of other questions.

Jashmyne

Oct 11, 2018
Maybe I will just give everyone a girl to make lol, t

Hum do you have a link for your style because I am kinda interested in other style too.
for examples of Nihaotomita

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Are you planning on hiring one of these artists?
If so, I would actually ignore the artwork itself. They are similar enough that the specific style is probably much less important than other factors.
Off the top of my head: Can you work well with this person? Are they prompt and diligent in their work? Can they understand your vision for the game? I'm sure you can think of other questions.
Right now to be honest I am thinking of hiring an Artist per girl... Why? Because each artist is busy enough to make all the work alone and some don't even reply to you so that's why I was thinking if I want things to go fast enough for my game, I should do 1 artist per girl in the game and the girls will have the artist style personality lol. Maybe I am wrong to think like that so correct me guys if I am :)

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
Right now to be honest I am thinking of hiring an Artist per girl... Why? Because each artist is busy enough to make all the work alone and some don't even reply to you so that's why I was thinking if I want things to go fast enough for my game, I should do 1 artist per girl in the game and the girls will have the artist style personality lol. Maybe I am wrong to think like that so correct me guys if I am :)
For me, that sounds like a very resonable approach. The biggest issues is if the styles are too far apart, it will remove a lot of the immersion in the game. The characters have to look like they come from the same universe, so to speak.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
For me, that sounds like a very resonable approach. The biggest issues is if the styles are too far apart, it will remove a lot of the immersion in the game. The characters have to look like they come from the same universe, so to speak.
Yeah I know, that's why I didn't want to do it first... Maybe I will stick with the most motivated and available one... The problem with SOME artists on DA or whatever... once they earn more than 1,200$/month... they won't do commissions or even collaboration anymore... They are in their comfort zone and don't want to think big like being a part in a project.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
I was thinking as I read this, and if the style's weren't too jarringly distinct this could actually be an interesting idea if you played it right. Imagine, if you will, a game where the MC has some sort of hallucinatory condition, the way he see's people is colored by his perception of them, and then each distinctly different girl is drawn by a different artist giving them their look that is then related somehow to their character.

In which case, it would be up to you to hire an artist who fit the girl's personality best. Going back up to your options, the young cute innocent would be good for Wataurikka, who is good with those types of characters. Meanwhile, the ostentatious slut would be better handled by Afrobull with his bold style and expressive character design.

I didn't go into as much detail before, but I agree that 2 and 3, in particular, seem very generic. That would be my worry in working with them, they don't have vision. If you don't have your own vision, and you just copy what is kinda happening around you, it's a lot harder to bring a character to life.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Well I am not going to work with Afrobull, the negotiation failed... The problem is he want to post my commissions in his patreon even if I almost give him double time of what he earn per commission... If he do that it will create a spoiler effect, an no one would ever be interested to play a game if he can have all the CG for only 5$...
Or people would play the game but my Patreon would be a lame... lol

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Well I am not going to work with Afrobull, the negotiation failed... The problem is he want to post my commissions in his patreon even if I almost give him double time of what he earn per commission... If he do that it's will create a spoiler effect, an no one would ever be interested to play a game if he can have all the CG for only 5$...
Not necessarily. Personally, images without something to attach them to do nothing for me. So for instance, if I come across a really hot rule 34 of some league of legends character, I get nothing from it, because I don't know or relate to it. The art from your game would be worthless to me without the game.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Not necessarily. Personally, images without something to attach them to do nothing for me. So for instance, if I come across a really hot rule 34 of some league of legends character, I get nothing from it, because I don't know or relate to it. The art from your game would be worthless to me without the game.
You think like me, the game give the picture kinda a life... But some people over here are just interested of a save with all the CG. Right now I am triying a commission with another artist and tell me guys, what do you think once it's finished.
One of the work of this artist is :

MINT 01.png MINT 02.png

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Expressive, not quite as bold as before, I don't relate well to ponies, but it's kinda sexy.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Expressive, not quite as bold as before, I don't relate well to ponies, but it's kinda sexy.
Yes not as expressive as Afrobull, but we will see what the commission will give, I will post it here once it's done. Don't worry I assure you my game is not about ponies :LOL: