What trope are you tired of seeing in adult games?

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

fomeki6933

Jun 29, 2020
To add one I didn't see in the first five pages or the last few:

- Generic "America" setting. Sure, it's a safe bet to make your setting an amalgam of US TV-series and movies since chances are most of the world will be familiar with the tropes. But it's clear a lot of devs aren't from the US, and I wish more of them could write something grounded in something slightly different, based in real life instead of the already detached-from-reality movie "fantasy" America-land. (Or even a US dev using a slice of "real" America as a setting)

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Virtue signaling in f95 ? Seriously ?
I'm just saying what i hate in these games. "Just don't play it" is not an argument. What if all the games you like here had scat, gore or whatever you find disguting ?
Or how about making lo*i and sho*a toggleable tags like a lot of games do with golden showers and scat?
So, according to your comments, it would make more sense if all devs who do loli/shota content re-work and modify their games just to fit your tastes? Does that really make more sense than not playing a game? If all games had scat or whatever then me and a lot of people wouldn't be here, easy.

I like The Walking Dead but I don't like guns or people killing people, so I'll tell Robert Kirkman (the author) to make a new version that fit my preferences. If "just don't watch it" isn't an argument but the creator changing his work is, then I guess that's the most logical choice.

By the way, I'm the stats guy of the forum. If a game isn't tagged properly, then please report it.

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
So, according to your comments, it would make more sense if all devs who do loli/shota content re-work and modify their games just to fit your tastes? Does that really make more sense than not playing a game? If all games had scat or whatever then me and a lot of people wouldn't be here, easy.

I like The Walking Dead but I don't like guns or people killing people, so I'll tell Robert Kirkman (the author) to make a new version that fit my preferences. If "just don't watch it" isn't an argument but the creator changing his work is, then I guess that's the most logical choice.

By the way, I'm the stats guy of the forum. If a game isn't tagged properly, then please report it.
Cool stats those were interesting to look at for a couple of minutes.

Anyways about the content involving loli / shota. The problem with that is that is that if too many rule 7 violations are allowed then the loli / shota game makers risk getting f95zone shut down, or the target of a DDOS attack.

The rule 7 thing is arbitrary by the way. I have seen games allowed that clearly have underage girls. Apartment 69 got it's content removed for "underage" when the trap character in that didn't even look that young. Then Insexual Awakening was allowed.

Of course any loli game can get around all that with a lewdpatcher. The patch is 3rd party and f95 isn't involved so that sorta works like a shell corporation.

Generally the anti loli people come in 2 camps.

Camp 1 = "Fuck this pedo bullshit!"
Camp 2 = "The sites gonna get shut down if we keep allowing that. What of the other devs and pirates?"

Camp 2 people = can be put at ease. If anything is getting shut down it's gonna be lewdpatcher not f95 so all good, as there is rule 7 keeping it on the up and up for the most part. The risk may still be there, but probably very low.

Camp 1 people = Can not be compromised with. You can try to explain to them that it's victimless no actual children are involved, it is just art, it probably saves actual kids from being molested as someone into that has an outlet that is not an actual child and fewer people are harmed. They will argue back well it normalizes it and increases the risk, but there is no real data to prove either side right so you both go spinning in circles unable to agree.

Camp 1 people are not like anti scat people, or anti ntr people, or anti female protagonist people. Where they will just not play a game because it, and maybe toss some shade in a thread saying "I don't like x content".

They are more so on a morale crucade and they don't consider loli a kink, but consider it a crime. So there is no real reconciliation that can be had there.

Personally I'm a camp 2 person. I realize it's not actual kids it's drawings, and people will jerk off to whatever they want and I don't really care what your kinks are. However, I do have concerns that it risks getting the whole site shut down if it is not regulated and more open, and that could cause everything to come crashing down. Fortunately rule 7 / lewdpatcher are a good combination to lower that risk, but it is still a risk.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Cool stats those were interesting to look at for a couple of minutes.

Anyways about the content involving loli / shota. The problem with that is that is that if too many rule 7 violations are allowed then the loli / shota game makers risk getting f95zone shut down, or the target of a DDOS attack.

The rule 7 thing is arbitrary by the way. I have seen games allowed that clearly have underage girls. Apartment 69 got it's content removed for "underage" when the trap character in that didn't even look that young. Then Insexual Awakening was allowed.

Of course any loli game can get around all that with a lewdpatcher. The patch is 3rd party and f95 isn't involved so that sorta works like a shell corporation.

Generally the anti loli people come in 2 camps.

Camp 1 = "Fuck this pedo bullshit!"
Camp 2 = "The sites gonna get shut down if we keep allowing that. What of the other devs and pirates?"

Camp 2 people = can be put at ease. If anything is getting shut down it's gonna be lewdpatcher not f95 so all good, as there is rule 7 keeping it on the up and up for the most part. The risk may still be there, but probably very low.

Camp 1 people = Can not be compromised with. You can try to explain to them that it's victimless no actual children are involved, it is just art, it probably saves actual kids from being molested as someone into that has an outlet that is not an actual child and fewer people are harmed. They will argue back well it normalizes it and increases the risk, but there is no real data to prove either side right so you both go spinning in circles unable to agree.

Camp 1 people are not like anti scat people, or anti ntr people, or anti female protagonist people. Where they will just not play a game because it, and maybe toss some shade in a thread saying "I don't like x content".

They are more so on a morale crucade and they don't consider loli a kink, but consider it a crime. So there is no real reconciliation that can be had there.

Personally I'm a camp 2 person. I realize it's not actual kids it's drawings, and people will jerk off to whatever they want and I don't really care what your kinks are. However, I do have concerns that it risks getting the whole site shut down if it is not regulated and more open, and that could cause everything to come crashing down. Fortunately rule 7 / lewdpatcher are a good combination to lower that risk, but it is still a risk.
I don't feel like replying to a 15 days old comment tbh, so I'm gonna be quick.

Those comments were saying that devs should change their content just to fit their taste, that's stupid as I mentioned before. They weren't talking about F95 or Rule 7 at all. I undertand what you're saying but I don't see why to relate it with this. I don't know about the anti-scat people, but if you think that's how anti-NTR/female protagonist acts then you don't know that public at all.

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
I don't feel like replying to a 15 days old comment tbh, so I'm gonna be quick.

Those comments were saying that devs should change their content just to fit their taste, that's stupid as I mentioned before. They weren't talking about F95 or Rule 7 at all. I undertand what you're saying but I don't see why to relate it with this. I don't know about the anti-scat people, but if you think that's how anti-NTR/female protagonist acts then you don't know that public at all.
Developers should always make games how they want to. However, taking into account the player's experience is also very important. It's not entirely stupid what they said, although maybe they did not get their point across in the best way. It behooves any developers to make certain types of content avoidable if possible.

Imagine your favorite game. Imagine that in it's next update it adds your least favorite kink out of the blue. Doesn't that suck if it's not avoidable? Is it still your favorite game?

Making content avoidable is usually not difficult. A lot of times it is basically just a "Skip Scene" option. Such a feature is usually very popular.

That being said I'm talking about content that would be more of a "Topping" than a "Main Course". If your game is called "Poop Palace", and you live in a giant turd and every scene is scat... Yea don't even bother trying to make it avoidable. However, if it's a mostly normal game, but then a girl takes a shit on your protagonists chest in one scene... Dude... make it so that can be skipped or you are gonna piss off so many people!

Davos2

Aug 29, 2020
Little unsure if these count as tropes or kinks but...
I am pretty sick of seeing pregnancy, ntr and gender bender.

Yes, pregnancy is a natural thing, It's vital for humanity and a great sight for everyone trying to start a family. But I'm not starting a family in these games.

Ntr...I just do not see the appeal or benefit of this 9 times out of 10. Though that might be due the games I usually see this in are ones where you are playing the guy who gets stolen from, and even when you are playing the guy who seduces the woman away...what purpose is there in having the other guy? The gloating picture sent to the cuck just seems like the precursor to a murder or some other unsavory results.

Gender bender. Similar to ntr I guess...Though I guess some folks see the appeal, I do not see the benefit. "Hey, see this game with all these great tags, hot main girl and fantastic art? SHE WAS A DUDE!!!!!". I'm fairly certain a number of gender bending games would still be playable if it was a woman from the start with slightly different circumstances to instigate the plot and sex [lust curse, heavy debt, gathering information/ escaping a bad place].

Aug 3, 2020
Little unsure if these count as tropes or kinks but...
I am pretty sick of seeing pregnancy, ntr and gender bender.

Yes, pregnancy is a natural thing, It's vital for humanity and a great sight for everyone trying to start a family. But I'm not starting a family in these games.

Ntr...I just do not see the appeal or benefit of this 9 times out of 10. Though that might be due the games I usually see this in are ones where you are playing the guy who gets stolen from, and even when you are playing the guy who seduces the woman away...what purpose is there in having the other guy? The gloating picture sent to the cuck just seems like the precursor to a murder or some other unsavory results.

Gender bender. Similar to ntr I guess...Though I guess some folks see the appeal, I do not see the benefit. "Hey, see this game with all these great tags, hot main girl and fantastic art? SHE WAS A DUDE!!!!!". I'm fairly certain a number of gender bending games would still be playable if it was a woman from the start with slightly different circumstances to instigate the plot and sex [lust curse, heavy debt, gathering information/ escaping a bad place].
those are kinks, and while you are welcome to dislike them, its pretty easy to spot the tags and not download those games.

a trope would be something like a magic potion that makes the MC into a female, a boy sneaking into his family's bedrooms at night, some random dude out of the blue sleeping with a love interest.

or, one of the worst tropes, the slutty, sexy, but still virgin middle aged woman. happens all the time in japanese VNs.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Developers should always make games how they want to. However, taking into account the player's experience is also very important. It's not entirely stupid what they said, although maybe they did not get their point across in the best way. It behooves any developers to make certain types of content avoidable if possible.

Imagine your favorite game. Imagine that in it's next update it adds your least favorite kink out of the blue. Doesn't that suck if it's not avoidable? Is it still your favorite game?

Making content avoidable is usually not difficult. A lot of times it is basically just a "Skip Scene" option. Such a feature is usually very popular.

That being said I'm talking about content that would be more of a "Topping" than a "Main Course". If your game is called "Poop Palace", and you live in a giant turd and every scene is scat... Yea don't even bother trying to make it avoidable. However, if it's a mostly normal game, but then a girl takes a shit on your protagonists chest in one scene... Dude... make it so that can be skipped or you are gonna piss off so many people!
My favorite game (in develpment) is HS Tutor. Let's say the next update has unavoidable scat. Would it still be my favorite game? I don't know. Is it just that one scat scene or the game will go full scat until the end? Does the scat scene adds something to the story? Is the rest of the story as good and funny as it was in previous updates? My favorite game of all times is Dreams Of Desire and it has unavoidable rape, something I dislike. Is it still my favorite game? Yes. It's great from beginning to end. My first recomendation to anyone starting in this adult VN world. Even if those weren't my favorite games anymore, that doesn't mean they would be ruined for my or that I'll stop playing them.

Not all games are for all player. That is something widely accepted among devs but not so much among players. If a dev feels like adding something to a game, I don't think that anyone has the right to demand changes/making it unavoidable, because the dev can't jerk off to his game like players do but he still tries to have fun with his game by doing the game he feels like doing. If the devs add something and chooses to make it unavoidable by himself then that's great but if that isn't the case, then bad luck and find another game.

The Skip option you mention isn't bad, but what if there is something important in that scene that players skip and then get locked or a bad ending? Or just don't understand the story/character's action later? That wouldn't be such a bad thing by its own. The bad thing is that they will blame you, the dev, for "not saying it" or " bad story telling" or whatever instead of assume the responsability for something they do willingly.

Davos2

Aug 29, 2020
those are kinks, and while you are welcome to dislike them, its pretty easy to spot the tags and not download those games.

a trope would be something like a magic potion that makes the MC into a female, a boy sneaking into his family's bedrooms at night, some random dude out of the blue sleeping with a love interest.

or, one of the worst tropes, the slutty, sexy, but still virgin middle aged woman. happens all the time in japanese VNs.
Was a bit unsure since I saw similar complaints earlier in the thread [No vanillia, no ugly bastard, and no scat just right above my first message and most likely others in the 19 pages here]. And I do check the tags on games, those 3 are just a bit tiring to see.
Never heard of the slutty virgin middle aged woman trope, though I don't read that many Japanese VN's...though I guess Karryn's prison might be somewhat guilty of that [26 years old and a virgin...riiight..]

Tau_Iota

Aug 22, 2018
Was a bit unsure since I saw similar complaints earlier in the thread [No vanillia, no ugly bastard, and no scat just right above my first message and most likely others in the 19 pages here]. And I do check the tags on games, those 3 are just a bit tiring to see.
Never heard of the slutty virgin middle aged woman trope, though I don't read that many Japanese VN's...though I guess Karryn's prison might be somewhat guilty of that [26 years old and a virgin...riiight..]
Well to be fair, Karryn does start the game very chaste. Has no interest in even kissing, nothing. Only has eyes for the Emperor. So a 26 year old in an Imperial-But-Also-Modern-Day setting being a virgin makes sense given that she has been serving the Emperor for at least a few years and most likely developed her crush soon after meeting him

Davos2

Aug 29, 2020
Hence the "somewhat" and "Might be". It was the first thing that came to mind for a non teenage virgin woman.

Estella69

Dec 24, 2017
Can I count a genre as a trope?

I'm tired of VNs. Or at least the ultra-common and boring "choose your own adventure" style VNs where all of the images are super generic 3d models customized in DAZ and used to animate boring stories with binary "fuck or not to fuck" pseudo-choices given to the player that ultimately just result in you clicking a button to advance the narrative and look at a few titty pics.

The people who make these should just make CG comics, imo. Save the effort and stop flooding the h-game market with low-effort tripe.

Also kinda tired of incest. What's with everyone wanting to bang their family members?
%100 AGREED! Whenever I see any game that carries vn or renpy tag I automatically skip it since those type of games just dont have any freedom in terms of gameplay just click mouse 1 skip the fucking text and when you finally reached the h scene do the same goddamn thing.Seriously nowadays creators became so lazy that they can't even make at least decent 3 d or maybe sidescroll game anymore.

Pretentious Goblin

Conversation Conqueror
Nov 3, 2017
Forced transformation. I've run into it a few times and, needless to say, whenever it was sissy stuff, the game was over for me, that's just not my bag. But even when the transformation is of a type that I normally like, I hate it being forced. Healslut has nerd -> bimbo transformation, which oddly enough is exactly something I like, but when the game just sprung it on the MC and basically told her to deal with it, I got upset and quit. Definitely an area where the tagging system is deficient.

Tau_Iota

Aug 22, 2018
Forced transformation. I've run into it a few times and, needless to say, whenever it was sissy stuff, the game was over for me, that's just not my bag. But even when the transformation is of a type that I normally like, I hate it being forced. Healslut has nerd -> bimbo transformation, which oddly enough is exactly something I like, but when the game just sprung it on the MC and basically told her to deal with it, I got upset and quit. Definitely an area where the tagging system is deficient.
Normally I love transformation themes as well, The Good Son is a definite favorite. I think why I enjoy it so much, is that the PC has a real reason to even consider it. Tropey in-and-of itself, but to help save his father from the mob. You can also go "Lol no I'm a dude," which is a neat little thing too. It's not "Oh no! You've been kidnapped and forced to transform!" Or "Oh no! You've been hypnotized and forced to transform!" Or "Oh no! You lost a contest and were forced to transform!" Sensing a theme? Although, I will say some of those forced transformation games are amazing, even with the forced part. Like CoC, before it got bogged down by the 30th waifu.

The other thing that really hits with The Good Son, is that it doesn't make transitioning a seemingly bad thing. You can get some wholesome content about it if you play your cards right, and that's nice. It's a bit problematic (although, isn't most porn in some form or another?) that changing genders is usually depicted as a "loss" for the PC. With The Good Son, it can be the point where your PC finally blossoms into who they were always meant to be. Dopefish really puts the work in for that game, and if you haven't tried it I highly recommend you do. So long as you're okay with HTML format and *click click click click* lol

Reactions: Pretentious Goblin
Mar 19, 2020
I have to laugh every time I come across another "He took a picture of me naked! Now I have to fuck him so he will delete the picture!"
If that ever worked, there would be a lot of very short games out there.
Man that is so unrealistic I don't think I've even come across it in a game, let alone irl hahahha

Vitklim

Feb 22, 2018
Time to revisit the thread and expand the dong- I mean the list. These might not all be tropes, but it is all annoying shite of a design that is either oversaturated or generally annoying.
  1. Succubus mechanics for monstergirls. I've come to despise this subgenre of monstergirl related games, which are almost exclusively h-scenes on loss, combined with a submissive weakass mc, and a usually lethal or otherwise game-ending consequence of sex scenes. I don't play power-fantasy games to be humiliated, thanks.
  2. Poorly written mind control. If you can make it unique and creative, do it. If not, don't even touch it.
  3. Bland personalities/characters. A criticism that's generally valid for everything, but particularly noticeable after you played enough VNs.
  4. Pregnancy content generally falling into one of the two categories - Either a haphazard reuse of assets from other scenes to throw in one sex scene at the very end (usually happens in rpgm games), or a cut to black moment, and the results of your escapades being only barely mentioned by the text at the end, maybe with a single image (usually VN/Ren'Py). The first is just lame, the second is basically false advertising. Very few games manage to get past this, and those that do are usually exceptional.
  5. An abundance of lame, slow Ren'Py games. Some of them are good, in fact even great, but you have to parse through a lot of sludge to find good ones that aren't destroyed by pacing issues, weird ass models, a lack of focus, etc.
  6. Basically all transformation games being focused on the MC being transformed and dominated. That sort of thing doesn't appeal to me generally, but even then, it's just fucking boring. Be creative ffs, write a story in which it's the MC transforming everyone else and go from there. I swear I have not seen a single game even try to do this (some html games maybe do this once or twice, but it's not the focus).
  7. Unnecessary NTR. I have a few problems with NTR in general, but I usually avoid games specifically focused around it. However, some games seem to include it just for the sake of... idk, appealing to people who like it? Secondary NTR routes that aren't how the game is meant to be played anyway, don't add much to the story, so why bother. And in some cases, it plainly doesn't make sense to include NTR content. If you're playing a full on harem-focused game, what sort of player will be willing to explore this route anyway, when the idea behind the game is the polar opposite?
  8. NTR being very often focused on the non-MC character being fat and ugly. This one seems like it's just there to insult the player even more, as if the premise isn't enough. For regular NTR, if it's good, you can at least try to ignore the story context and enjoy it anyway, but this just makes you want to quit the game entirely.
  9. This one is less frequent (thank god), but people not giving a single fuck about their own story. Like, the internal consistency and worldbuilding in some games even with good visuals is abysmal. And it always seems like it's not because the writer is shit and can't pull it off, but because they didn't bother to think about the consequences of their own premise. Luckily, for this one there are a ton of counter-examples, so it's not that awful.

Reactions: redsling and Xhak

Milvidi

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
If I have to pick one, then rapey MC?

Just played Rance 8 Magnum and realized that "Yeah...I hate this guy now."

I used to like him in the past though, or maybe it was the gameplay of Rance 7 that carried the MC for me, I'm not sure.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote