• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

What is this thing about incest?

ShamanLab

[Industry News] Weird behavior (c)
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Wow, you really have no idea how the world works huh?
Ford Focus and Honda civic are (used to be) popular because they simply work and are (used to be) cheap, that doesn't mean that they're any easier to produce than any other car, most cars use the same parts anyway. A VW Transporter for example looks and drives completely different, but manufacturing is almost the same.
I didn't think Ferrari or Lamborghini using the same parts as Ford Focus at least some parts with some material and production quality.

But... you saying exactly what i'm said before: they easier to produce.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I didn't think Ferrari or Lamborghini using the same parts as Ford Focus at least some parts with some material and production quality.

But... you saying exactly what i'm said before: they easier to produce.
don't tell me you think you're producing a lamborghini of a game :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Adabelitoo

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Vanilla just get's boring after a while and incest is the easiest and probably most accepted taboo, so it's the most common.
Clearly the easiest to write, since the characters are expected to know each other. It permit to have Deus Ex Machina move each time the author is stuck with a situation ; the player never heard that the girl favorite movie genre is "futuristic romantico-drama", but it doesn't matter since, as his brother, the MC surely know this from years.
Therefore it's also the preferred kind of story for any "not this good" writer.

About a year or two ago the whole "daddy" kink did nothing for me, but slowly but surely I got into it, like a lot of other people get into other stuff over time.
There's a thing about incest, when not too badly badly done, it's love.
Well, most of the time it's just the characters talking about it more than effectively acting according to it, but incest is the only kink where you find so much games where the characters will have sex out of their feeling and not just out of their, natural or induced, carving.
Take the classical goods named by Avaron1974 by example, Blooming Love, Sisterly Lust, My Sister My Roommate, Picture Perfect and Haley's Story. It's not a MC corrupting or brainwashing girls, but girls in love, and a love that come from them, not from some hypnosis or super power.
It have something reassuring to play a game where you'll be a really big pervert (since incest is seen as the top of perversion) while still having a relationship being solely based on love ; this especially nowadays where part of the society tend to classify you as pervert even if your only kink is to keep the light on when you do it.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
It's not a MC corrupting or brainwashing girls, but girls in love, and a love that come from them, not from some hypnosis or super power.
That is the only way I can enjoy a game with incest in it.

I don't like corruption games to start with so a game where the aim is to turn the people that love you unconditionally into cum dumps just doesn't sit right with me.

Same way I really don't like those games where the MC is a creepy pervert. Being a perv is fine, the MC's in games like Sisterly Lust and My Sister My Roommate are both perverts but not in a creepy way.

That shower spying, sleep rape bollocks puts me off.

The best thing about games like Sisterly Lust, My Sister My Roommate and even Parental Love is the way they do harems. It's not just the MC getting attention leaving women sat around waiting their turn, everyone gets involved even if it's with each other.

A scene in Sisterly Lust shows it perfectly. MC take a walk and happens to see his mother and eldest sister together and after a bit of conversation they make love. We know they love the MC, by this point they are carrying his child and have all moved to the island together but it also shows they love each other just as much. There was just something beautiful in that scene (also because i'm a pervy dyke and love seeing women together).

Point is it is the MC's harem, he is the man of the house but he's comfortable in the knowledge they also love each other. There is no jealousy because they are all free to explore their feelings for other members of the household. There is just something special about a family willing to explore the taboo together as equals, no corruption, no coercion, no magic and no mind control just pure love.

It's one of the main reasons I can't get into most incest or even harem games. There are too many people playing them that need the MC to be the only one getting any action which leaves people sat around doing nothing and it's boring as fuck. It's also incredibly boring when that incest happens through blackmail, magic etc.. It seems like a cheap and easy way out and there are no feelings behind it.

I find it more sensual if both parties are fully aware of the taboo they are breaking and do so willingly. To each their own though.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
A scene in Sisterly Lust shows it perfectly. MC take a walk and happens to see his mother and eldest sister together and after a bit of conversation they make love. We know they love the MC, by this point they are carrying his child and have all moved to the island together but it also shows they love each other just as much.
It's the only way for a harem to works anyway. Well, unless you do it the old way ; I'm the prince, here's your now living quarter, be aware that the guards will not let you go out. For a nowadays harem to works, the girls need to also love each others, and this as much as they love the MC.
The love for the MC is needed since they'll share him ; they let him do what he want with who he want, because they love him and know that it's what will make him happy. As for the love for each other, it's needed to avoid jealousy ; they'll be happy even if they haven't had an alone time with the MC for a whole week, because they love the girls who had this chance and know that it made them happy.
And once again it's shown in the games you named. Haley's Story being probably the best example for this. Haley don't care that her brother is with Sandra, because she like her, and it's reciprocal. But she also ask him to stop fooling around with other girls ; not that she personally dislike them, but she don't know what Sandra think and feel that it could hurt her.
It's the only way to have a believable harem in nowadays setting. Well, unless the girls are totally brainwashed.

Point is it is the MC's harem, he is the man of the house but he's comfortable in the knowledge they also love each other. There is no jealousy because they are all free to explore their feelings for other members of the household.
Anyway, wouldn't it be totally hypocritical to do otherwise ? Mom, you'll have to share me, but I'll not share you, not even with your daughters... There's something wrong here, and MC's feeling can be questioned ; is he really in love with them, or is he doing this out of pure lust ? If really he loved them, why deprive them of a possibility to be even more happy ?
This being assumed that another man couldn't make them more happy, to appease the NTR haters out there.

There is just something special about a family willing to explore the taboo together as equals, no corruption, no coercion, no magic and no mind control just pure love.
Totally. It's what incest stories initially were anyway ; a love so pure and deep that it don't care about the rest of the world.

It's one of the main reasons I can't get into most incest or even harem games. There are too many people playing them that need the MC to be the only one getting any action which leaves people sat around doing nothing and it's boring as fuck.
It's boring because, as I implied above, the MC don't act out of love, but out of pure lust. Yet, there's surely some ways to have an interesting story with a MC acting just out of pure lust. But for this, the said lust need to have a reason, and a meaning in the story ; and by "reason"I mean something else than some succubus choosing the MC.
I Don't know, it can be some mental illness that make him have an insatiable lust, and the girls who love him accept to join the harem because they want to be with him (which is different to "have sex with him"). But then, the story have to talk about this illness, to show the MC struggling with it. He want to be faithful to his girlfriend, then the said girlfriend open him to other girls, because she clearly see (and it's clearly shown by the game) that he suffer from this faithfulness ; not because he want to have sex with other girls, but because he need it.
Such pitch would have made WVM effectively interesting ; it would have been way better than the initial girlfriend just being a creepy cuckqueen.

It's also incredibly boring when that incest happens through blackmail, magic etc.. It seems like a cheap and easy way out and there are no feelings behind it.
It seems like this because it is this.
In the exact same way than incest is the easiest setting for a sex game, blackmail and magic are the easiest way to make the girls have sex with the MC. There's no need to give them a personality, they would be going against it anyway. And there's no need to show how the MC achieve to seduce them, nor why they fall in love, since he don't seduce them and they don't love him.
You don't know how to write and want to make a harem game ? Use a MC that will blackmail or brainwash his family, you can't fail... but you can't win either.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Avaron1974

mrmcfappen

Sep 10, 2019
Clearly the easiest to write, since the characters are expected to know each other. It permit to have Deus Ex Machina move each time the author is stuck with a situation ; the player never heard that the girl favorite movie genre is "futuristic romantico-drama", but it doesn't matter since, as his brother, the MC surely know this from years.
Therefore it's also the preferred kind of story for any "not this good" writer.
Characters are expected to know each other in many settings. This is not something only inherent in the incest setting.

How is it any easier to write compare to, for example, long time friends/colleagues that had always had a bit of a thing for each other finally admitting to their feelings and doing something about it.
If it's the issue of assumed prior knowledge, a good friend might (and most likely) know just as much if not more about someone than their family.

So I don't think it is easiest to write if the author wants to (perhaps due to being incapable of writing it) basically cheat and skip past actual development of the relationship, especially the getting to know / falling in love parts, they would do it regardless of incest. I think, most of those authors/devs choosing incest setting instead of something else is mainly due to kink's popularity rather than how easy it's to write for.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Characters are expected to know each other in many settings. This is not something only inherent in the incest setting.
Where exactly have you seen me write that it's something inherent to incest games ?

I think, most of those authors/devs choosing incest setting instead of something else is mainly due to kink's popularity rather than how easy it's to write for.
And where exactly have you seen me write that it's the only possible reason to choose incest as setting ?
For this, the rest of my comment even explicitly acknowledge that it's not.

I have nothing against contradiction ; I'm just human and, as such, I made errors and can't pretend to universal taste, and even less omniscience. But I prefer when this contradiction come from what I wrote, and not what the reader imagined ; especially when this imagination lead to the opposite of what I wrote.

This community is multi-cultural, cross generational, and multi-lingual (even if English is the only language used) ; be noted that it don't imply that it's the only one like that, nor that it's limited to this. People here don't necessarily share the same cultural background, the same references, and probably more than half of them aren't native English speakers ; by example, being a 49 years old french guy, I share really few with the 20% of youth US citizens here.
Therefore, sticking to what is effectively wrote is mandatory ; and in case of doubt, just ask. Anything that imply an attempt to undercover the unsaid intent or meaning, any attempt to interpret what is said, will fail way more often than it can succeed.

mrmcfappen

Sep 10, 2019
Where exactly have you seen me write that it's something inherent to incest games ?

And where exactly have you seen me write that it's the only possible reason to choose incest as setting ?
For this, the rest of my comment even explicitly acknowledge that it's not.

I have nothing against contradiction ; I'm just human and, as such, I made errors and can't pretend to universal taste, and even less omniscience. But I prefer when this contradiction come from what I wrote, and not what the reader imagined ; especially when this imagination lead to the opposite of what I wrote.

This community is multi-cultural, cross generational, and multi-lingual (even if English is the only language used) ; be noted that it don't imply that it's the only one like that, nor that it's limited to this. People here don't necessarily share the same cultural background, the same references, and probably more than half of them aren't native English speakers ; by example, being a 49 years old french guy, I share really few with the 20% of youth US citizens here.
Therefore, sticking to what is effectively wrote is mandatory ; and in case of doubt, just ask. Anything that imply an attempt to undercover the unsaid intent or meaning, any attempt to interpret what is said, will fail way more often than it can succeed.
I could go on to respond you with 'Where exactly have you seen me write that you have claimed it's something inherent to incest games?' or 'Where exactly have you seen me write that you have claimed it's the only possible reason to choose incest as setting?'

But that would be nothing but intellectual dishonesty so I won't.
All I tried to say was that incest is not
Clearly the easiest to write
If I somehow misunderstood you (cultural differences and all) it wasn't intentional (I hope I don't need to clarify that I don't accuse you for 'writing somewhere that it was intentional':) )

• Angry
Reactions: anne O'nymous

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I see I posted in this thread but it's been dead so long I don't remember it.

Why is it alive again?