VN Ren'Py What are the important elements make you decide to support an author?

What are the important elements make you decide to support an author?

• Total voters

nobrumski

Donor
May 27, 2019
I kind of go down a quick checklist in my head....

First and foremost is did I enjoy what I just played. I will play most things that visually grab me, but I have to be hooked by the story to have any interest in supporting.

Second and the biggest one that kills off the most games is what turned me off or annoyed me about the game. No game is ever perfect of course, but can I get past the issues that bother me. I don't mind grinding, but you better also put in the time so the scene isn't just identical repetition. Take some time to write additional lines even if you reuse the same images. Give me slow progress over kill 10 rats. Also recognize what has happened before. Don't make every seen act like it is the first time.

Third is am I anxiously waiting the next release. There are games I loved at the time, but looking back I couldn't tell you if I played them until I fired them up again. These I won't support.

Finally the thing I go back and forth on is regular contributions versus one single donation. Currently I am opting for recurring. In the long run it should pay out better for the dev, but there is also the risk I bounce off a game if there is an update I dislike.

Reactions: Exu

HHUUKK

Feb 9, 2018
The first thing I want to say is that I am a very demanding person. I don't play many games (I think no more than 12) of which only 3 or 4 feel authentic devotion.

When the quality of the game is superlative and safistace everything you ask for a game (beautiful renders, high level of detail, nice and sexy looking characters, an original and funny story, good animations, an appropriate development, etc.) and then you see perseverance and seriousness in terms of deadlines... and you can not put a "but" to Dev´s work then I seriously consider supporting him.

If I see that the level does not decay.. and in each update the dev gives his best and I see that I am eager to play the next version then I decide to support him.. (10 or 20 dollars) and I feel very happy to do it .. and I'm sorry I can't give it more. (My budget is limited)

Well, basically that is.. :)

Lightbringuer

Dec 25, 2018
In my opinion, a good story counts more to a game be a good game than the rest, but you have to bring balance to the story and the lewd content, too much of it and the game seems empty, too little it becames boring and withouth emotion.

Apr 18, 2019
First I must like the game. Be it the story, renders, characters or whatever. It's not always clear to myself what makes me hooked to a game. When I decide to support a developer it definitely helped when I see the developer has his/her own vision about his/her project, is a nice person, keeps his/her supporters and fans up to date with status reports aka progress reports. I don't expect perfection, that is impossible, also I don't expect super fast development, that's also impossible if the project should get good. But I wanna see true dedication to the own project and some communication with fanbase is a bonus and status updates aka progress reports are important for me to support. Because if you don't hear from the developer for a long time you are unsure if the project is abandoned and also you wanna know what happened. I have supported game developers in the past that then abandoned the game, and I learned from that. Now I only support developers that stand behind their project and give me at least progress reports regularly!