• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Video Card issue? Render crashing Nvidia

mattocean

Oct 8, 2018
Hello,

I have a new GPU a RTX 3050. Since the new card was installed I have some weird issue happening randomly. They are followings:

- just starting the system doing nothing randomly the GPU Fan speed up and I got black screen
- I am starting to render after several iterations the process stop and freez everything
- just looking the viewport in Nvidia Iray moving the camera and freez everything

Thle last few days I rendered more scenes without any issue.

Yesterday I run the Furmark test for an hour without any problem, after stoped it the GPU-Z found the GPU but can't show the details...

I am using the latest game driver. Tryed the latest studio driver everything was the same.

I am running Daz 4.14 Pro.

The card isn't overheated at the moment when fan starts to work full speed.

Has anybody any idea? Thanks.

Feb 20, 2022
Hey,

it could has something to do with your PSU, especially when you're using a cheap one. Probably you're experiencing this issues because there's not enough capacity to provide all of your components. Or your GPU causing all the issues.

Reactions: mattocean

mattocean

Oct 8, 2018
Thanks, I have a 600W PSU... it's happening sometimes when de GPU isn't is use. I mean only desktop running.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I have a new GPU a RTX 3050. Since the new card was installed I have some weird issue happening randomly. They are followings:

- just starting the system doing nothing randomly the GPU Fan speed up and I got black screen
- I am starting to render after several iterations the process stop and freez everything
- just looking the viewport in Nvidia Iray moving the camera and freez everything
Too much heat from the GPU, it trigger its security.

by order of easiness:
  1. Build less complex scenes.
  2. Try to put the computer somewhere when it have more place to "breath" ; the back at least 20 cm from a wall, somewhere where there's a good air flow, and of course far to any heating point.
  3. Clean-up the dust on the GPU and all fans.
  4. Add more fans in the case, but do it with smartness to keep a good air circulation.
  5. Add dust filters in front of the incoming fans.
  6. Change its whole case for one with a better air circulation.
  7. Replace the GPU fan by water cooling.

Thle last few days I rendered more scenes without any issue.
If the last few days wasn't also coolest day, it can also mean that the GPU is slowly dying.

The card isn't overheated at the moment when fan starts to work full speed.
The fans do not speed up without reason, especially since it lead to freeze. Perhaps the card itself isn't overheated, by the GPU clearly is.

mattocean

Oct 8, 2018
I rendered now a picture, everything was fine. After the render was finished, saved the file and the fans speed up again, have to restart the sytem.

mattocean

Oct 8, 2018
Too much heat from the GPU, it trigger its security.

by order of easiness:
  1. Build less complex scenes.
  2. Try to put the computer somewhere when it have more place to "breath" ; the back at least 20 cm from a wall, somewhere where there's a good air flow, and of course far to any heating point.
  3. Clean-up the dust on the GPU and all fans.
  4. Add more fans in the case, but do it with smartness to keep a good air circulation.
  5. Add dust filters in front of the incoming fans.
  6. Change its whole case for one with a better air circulation.
  7. Replace the GPU fan by water cooling.

If the last few days wasn't also coolest day, it can also mean that the GPU is slowly dying.

The fans do not speed up without reason, especially since it lead to freeze. Perhaps the card itself isn't overheated, by the GPU clearly is.
Thanks, the GPU is new, I guess the heating should be fine from factory. I already cleaned the dust from CPU and PSU. I runned the GPU-Z paralel while rendering, the temperature was fine from the GPU.

1648202582824.png

Feb 20, 2022
You shouldn't modify your GPU, otherwise you'll lose your warranty (if there's still any). If there's too much heat, then you could replace your case which provides more space, so your components can 'breathe'. Case coolers don't have a significant influence on the temperature, but at least a little bit. But it doesn't sound like it has something to do with heat to me.

Thanks, I have a 600W PSU... it's happening sometimes when de GPU isn't is use. I mean only desktop running.
Make sure you installed / connected [your GPU] properly. Sometimes something's just 'loosy'.

Last edited:

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Similar stuff started happening to me when I updated to Windows 11. Did a few stress tests on my 3080, and had similar results. Fine temperatures (though a bit high due to my shit case, which I've since replaced.), normal voltages, etc. Saw a response on here (on a post of my own unrelated to the crashing itself, was looking to update to W11.) saying to turn off "Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling". Worked like a charm, worth a shot (even if it's a long one) even on W10.

hw.png

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I rendered now a picture, everything was fine. After the render was finished, saved the file and the fans speed up again, have to restart the sytem.
The GPU rose in temperature while doing the scene, but not enough (or not long enough) for the fans to need to speed up. But obviously the temperature do not go down instantly, and it's only few seconds later that the fans reacted.

I runned the GPU-Z paralel while rendering, the temperature was fine from the GPU.
Well, I don't really care what GPU-Z say, software can lies. But a GPU that freeze always have a good reason to do so, and this reason is always "it's fucking too hot here, and I don't want to die".

mattocean

Oct 8, 2018
Similar stuff started happening to me when I updated to Windows 11. Did a few stress tests on my 3080, and had similar results. Fine temperatures (though a bit high due to my shit case, which I've since replaced.), normal voltages, etc. Saw a response on here (on a post of my own unrelated to the crashing itself, was looking to update to W11.) saying to turn off "Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling". Worked like a charm, worth a shot (even if it's a long one) even on W10.

View attachment 1721270
Thanks, I've already disabled it... I don't tuned up the card. Everything is on factory value.

Feb 20, 2022
To make sure your GPU is fine: find a PC capable to run the RTX 3050. That's probably the best way to find out that 1) nothings wrong with the card 2) you didn't miss something.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
If you say furmark doesn't crash which is a lot worse than any rendering then it shouldn't be either overheating or psu issues...

But there are also plenty of benchmark softwares that tell you if your gpu is or isn't healthy, things like 3Dmark come to mind, just run a test with it to know if your card is performing inside the average numbers.

Then if we are talking only about rendering crashes on DAZ it might be driver issues or even software issues.

Since you changed gpu recently it is very possible that you are having some driver conflicts with old drivers, try doing a full clean install, remove every driver you have and then reinstall the most recent one for your gpu, make sure to download the correct driver, is your friend.

If DAZ is still crashing after making sure you have the right drivers, it might be worth reinstalling DAZ also. It is possible that DAZ is still running with old settings for the previous gpus and reinstalling it might refresh things.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Another thing to test, uninstall GPU-Z, this user claims it was the cause of his issue .

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
I would suggest to upgrade your power supply at least to a 1000 Watts power supply

RTX 3050 Requires System Power (W) (4) 550 Watts power supply min (mean the system not the video card)
the card can use a lot of wattage specially when rendering
most everything in your computer needs power so you have keep in mind that your other components get wattage they need as well

never go for a power supply close to the minimum wattage

Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece

Vreek

Apr 8, 2020
Try to isolate the issue by testing each and every component separately. You might need a 2nd system for that. And remember: There might be more than one faulty component!

Feb 20, 2022
I would suggest to upgrade your power supply at least to a 1000 Watts power supply
Way too much. But it also depends on the quality of your PSU. NVIDIA suggests a 550w PSU when using a high-performance CPU like i9 10900K. By using high-end components only I would suggest (at least) 1000w. But there's something called Power supply calculator, so you don't need to guess

mattocean

Oct 8, 2018
The new situation... I do nothing with the card no gaming or rendering and the fans just going to max and freez everything...

mattocean

Oct 8, 2018
Ok, I will do a clean install of everything... what Daz versios do you guys recommend to install? I have the 4.14 pro.

linkinn

Apr 25, 2020
I had a problem very similar to yours once, pc froze randomly (playing, indleing, it was completely random) with black screen and gpu fans going 100%. In my case it ended up being a faulty PSU, replaced it and the problem was gone.

It can be a loose power connector in the GPU too from what i've seen.