Vae Victis - Khan: metagame discussion

RandyTyr

Game Developer
Apr 30, 2021
Do you have a plan already for incentivising actually engaging with the worldmap mechanics? As long as there is no downside to time progressing, stuff like "force yield" or trying to maximize gold production don't really make much difference vs just taking more turns. This is probably more something for after the strategy part of the game is somewhat stable etc.

The natural incentive would be some extra scenes, but the balancing is tricky. The reward should not be available on VN-mode, to prevent people from not doing the worldmap mechanics just out of fear of missing out on the extra scenes. But then they shouldn't be TOO enticing either.

erkper

May 16, 2018
PVNUser Stil996 gregers erkper and of course gojira667 now that 0.6.9 is out with several meta game changes, I'm curious to hear your opinion on the improved gameplay. No rush, next changes train leaves in 0.7...

View attachment 1940316
Finally got through my backlog of games and played the current build. Unfortunately due to leaving myself in a pretty good place at the end of the last build I never really needed to experiment with the tradeoffs. The balance seems about right, and if/when I start a new game I'm sure I'll use them all a bit (probably Force Yield, Hangings and Pardon more than Festivals) but in my current game I didn't really feel the need and wanted to use the gold for upgraded garrisons instead of putting a Shadow Institute in every fiefdom.

Reactions: Doorknob22

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
Do you have a plan already for incentivising actually engaging with the worldmap mechanics? As long as there is no downside to time progressing, stuff like "force yield" or trying to maximize gold production don't really make much difference vs just taking more turns. This is probably more something for after the strategy part of the game is somewhat stable etc.

The natural incentive would be some extra scenes, but the balancing is tricky. The reward should not be available on VN-mode, to prevent people from not doing the worldmap mechanics just out of fear of missing out on the extra scenes. But then they shouldn't be TOO enticing either.
Not sure I understand you completely, but the bigger your empire grow the bigger the chance of a raid and waiting more turns means more raids so I think this is the incentive. Or maybe I didn't understand you :)

Seewolf

Feb 27, 2019
Eastern Europe?
[...]
Austria
[...]

Need I go on? This is the real world. If you aren't native to the lands, or speak the native language, it is fairly likely you could have difficulty pronouncing the name of the land. I think if anything Doorknob has done an excellent job of creating a believable realm, especially with his use of similar names for lands in close proximity with a shared history.
Lol, you really located Austria in Eastern Europe?! Geography really isn't your strength. It's clearly Central Europe. Even the Baltic states belong to central Europe geographically and culturally.

Europe.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the game mechanic discussion:

Don't make things overcomplicated. It's mainly about conquest, rape & pillage, although you can still just follow the mutually consensual path.
There should be two general ways how to rule your subjugated realms, either being the popular "good" ruler, which comes with certain benefits and disadvantages or being the tyrant, who is feared and presses people under his yoke, which also comes with certain benefits and disadvantages.
Depending on your government type some mechanics should not be available. F.e. existing mechanics like public hangings should only be available in the tyrant style, while a soft ruler would have to deal with public unrest in a different way like spending gold for public festivities.
No need to add mercantile stuff and too many mechanics. I mean this isn't Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis, if you know what I mean. No offense, but people play Vae Victis mainly for the erotic content and the adventuring part of the story like the infiltration quests.
It might also be an idea to choose for each conquered realm individually, in what way you want to govern it. Maybe being the oppressive tyrant in one realm while playing the good Pater patriae in another. After all Rome f.e. also had many different styles to govern conquered territories, like probably every Empire in history. Romans in some places massacred and enslaved entire populations, while they imposed quite a soft rule on others, depending on their resistance before and during conquest. So it might be a good idea to have the choice to be the good ruler f.e. within the core, while the borderlands get a harsh yoke, because your rule might be fragile there, among other reasons because of threats of foreign powers. As your iron grip on territories increases and your conquests become more numerous, you might switch the style of your rule again for certain provinces.

Last edited:

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
No need to add mercantile stuff and too many mechanics. I mean this isn't Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis, if you know what I mean. No offense, but people play Vae Victis mainly for the erotic content and the adventuring part of the story like the infiltration quests.
I can't stress this enough: I'm not going to allow my head to swell so big that I'll start thinking that people play my game for the strategic challenge. The game will always be about pussy first, everything else second and that's why I have added VN Mode and Chicken Icon.

Having said that, I do believe that conquering a fiefdom after investing some mental efforts into it, make the ensuing sexual interactions more rewarding, like the difference between taking a cold beer from the fridge while watching a TV show versus taking a cold beer from the fridge after mowing your lawn. Same beer, but earning something makes it more enjoyable IMO.

Changes to the meta game will be subtle and minor, I'm a firm believer in evolution over revolution, gradually introducing change and balancing it to perfection.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Having said that, I do believe that conquering a fiefdom after investing some mental efforts into it, make the ensuing sexual interactions more rewarding, like the difference between taking a cold beer from the fridge while watching a TV show versus taking a cold beer from the fridge after mowing your lawn. Same beer, but earning something makes it more enjoyable IMO.
Well now I want a beer just from checking a website. Not sure where that figures into the rankings.

• Haha

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
How about you give each kingdom a "Confidence Value" (CV), at the beginning this value is maxed out representing complete faith in themselves to repel any attack without aid.
  • As the player conquers kingdoms, the CV on each remaining kingdom decreases by a value representative of the proximity of the player to their borders,
  • the CV level is inversely representative to how much effort they put into their preemptive raids and how many soldiers in their garrisons
  • and once the CV drops below a certain level they start requesting aid from neighbors,(priority to neighbours without a border to the player since they will be most likely to spare soldiers).
Do NPC nations have inventory/trade? this could be a major bagaining chip, so the last kingdoms conquered would be the richest because of negotiations for aid
I'd rather reply in this thread.

I am toying with a adding a Wench stat called Courage, with different Wenches being more courageous than others. When Courage of a ruling Wench drops below a certain threshold, she surrenders without a fight. Not sure what what reduce Courage though. Could be the size of Karder's army and/or combined with his Reputation but I don't want want this to be a hack that will allow players not to invest in their armies. Maybe Big Army + Low Rep or something.

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018

I am toying with a adding a Wench stat called Courage, with different Wenches being more courageous than others. When Courage of a ruling Wench drops below a certain threshold, she surrenders without a fight. Not sure what what reduce Courage though. Could be the size of Karder's army and/or combined with his Reputation but I don't want want this to be a hack that will allow players not to invest in their armies. Maybe Big Army + Low Rep or something.
"I'd rather reply in this thread."
(y) TBH the two thread sometimes blur together for me.

Nothing is more demoralizing than seeing armies similar to yours being defeated with ease, What if every time Karder defeats an army all the Wenches take a hit to their Courage that is relative to the surviving percentage of his force modified with a the relative weight of their armies and border proximity.

Something like:

Queen Babe (100 man army) watches her buffer neighbour (75 man army) get crushed by Karders Army who only loses 20% of his force, Queens Babes Courage would take a hit representing 0.75*80*1=a 60 point hit to courage (relative force * Remaining percentage of Karders army * (1/distance to border).
Queen Fox (150 man army) who still has Babe between her and Karder would be 0.5*80*0.5=20 point hit to courage

Edit:
Maybe if the Queen beleives she would have won if it had been her (if her relative army strength is greater than Karders surviving percentage) then she gains courage

Last edited:

PVNUser

Jan 22, 2022

If you were to implement a surrender option, as a player I would expect to see a different scene* for every wench. If you were to implement this feature, would you want to commit to creating different scenes?

* Without reviewing the actual renders, I can't say whether this would require additional renders, or simply branching text/dialogue to support it. However, I would make the assumption that these scenes would need new renders.

As you bring up, it's also not clear exactly how the surrender option would work. I feel like the strategy game aspect of this would need more elements to it before such an option would make sense.

PVNUser

Jan 22, 2022
What specifically are you thinking about with this. I've played Harem Hotel before and nothing is jumping out to me that this should be in Vae Victis. Maybe I'm not looking at the right area?
1662700110976.png

Late response, but any game that has a stats system behind it should (IMO) be doing something similar to this.
The mechanical consequences of the choices should be shown up front with those choices.

I haven't looked at the implementation behind the scenes for this game, but I'd suspect it's not done as elegantly & reusably as it is done in Harem Hotel. Worth checking out.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
If you were to implement a surrender option, as a player I would expect to see a different scene* for every wench. If you were to implement this feature, would you want to commit to creating different scenes?

* Without reviewing the actual renders, I can't say whether this would require additional renders, or simply branching text/dialogue to support it. However, I would make the assumption that these scenes would need new renders.

As you bring up, it's also not clear exactly how the surrender option would work. I feel like the strategy game aspect of this would need more elements to it before such an option would make sense.
I'm not sure how will courage work, maybe something along the lines of Stil996 's suggestion, maybe something else but it will have to be correlated to Karder's actual strength and accomplishments, it's not going to allow you to win without an actual military force. Maybe especially high negative Reputation could be counted as troops for the purposes of surrendering.

Yes, once surrendering, the ruling Wench can be subjected to a brutal scene similar to the post combat ravage but not identical. Something more slow and demeaning, like a humiliation ceremony, maybe in front of her court. Yes, it will require extra work.

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
...Maybe especially high negative Reputation could be counted as troops for the purposes of surrendering...
I think the opposite holds true, the last person you want to surrender to is the Heartless Sadist, your situation has to be dire indeed if you want to risk getting broiled alive over camp fires as punishment for annoying him. The Honorable King is much more palatable, why would your troops want to die to resisting someone who will likely give them better lives than their current ruler?

...Yes, once surrendering, the ruling Wench can be subjected to a brutal scene similar to the post combat ravage but not identical. Something more slow and demeaning, like a humiliation ceremony, maybe in front of her court. Yes, it will require extra work.
I think Surrendering needs to have a diplomatic contract, people surrender to avoid the worst case scenario, not to embrace it, they would try to get the most favorable deals they can get (surrendering to an ally is also a thing),
in Game terms this might mean extra work,
  1. different threesome options could be fantastic (it wouldn't even need to be to many different combinations, as they can only merge with a neighbor who doesn't already have border with Karders Kingdom), or
  2. Wenches could be dissatisfied with their decision to surrender to their neighbor amd end with Karder "rescuing" them.

If Karder betrays a surrender agreement there should be consequence, with remaining enemies becoming more entrenched/resolved to fight to the last man, increased difficulty in finding spys/traitors and traders would be less willing to deal with a someone who can't be trusted to hold to his word.

PVNUser

Jan 22, 2022
I'm not sure how will courage work, maybe something along the lines of Stil996 's suggestion, maybe something else but it will have to be correlated to Karder's actual strength and accomplishments, it's not going to allow you to win without an actual military force. Maybe especially high negative Reputation could be counted as troops for the purposes of surrendering.

Yes, once surrendering, the ruling Wench can be subjected to a brutal scene similar to the post combat ravage but not identical. Something more slow and demeaning, like a humiliation ceremony, maybe in front of her court. Yes, it will require extra work.
From the developer perspective, the concern I have is that this is essentially developing content that is likely to be missed. The player will either conquer the normal way, or in this new way (TBD). I think it's a good idea in principle, more scenes is almost always better, but don't scope creep into stagnation.

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
Moved here since it's metagame
While that's true, it's reasonable to restate this criticism as, "The RPS single combat in this game isn't very fun or engaging." I'd agree with that criticism. Beyond that, how do we actually make this mechanic fun? That's less clear.

Some suggestions:

• While the core concept of Riposte, Parry, Slash attacks is fine, I feel this system is overcomplicated due to the inclusion of Aggressive, Normal, Defensive, and Subdue intensity levels. A simple system now becomes complicated.
    • I would probably simplify this to just Aggressive/Defensive intensity levels. I don't see a need for specific "Subdue" intensity, and "Normal" intensity is just pointless
      • Follow-up suggestion: Since this suggestion removes "Subdue" attacks, players would be given the prompt after a battle on how they want to resolve it (for combats where Subdue is relevant).
    • Slightly less simplified version: Keep "Aggressive", "Defensive", "Subdue" intensity, but drop "Normal." This is basically the same, but we drop it down to 9 possible actions per turn instead of 12. That's a lot more manageable.
  • I am not a fan of the GUI for duels at all. I think this screen is poorly laid out, and this is one of the bigger reasons why the combat feels bad and unrewarding.
    • Here is a concept art I created for a possible way to improve the screen. I will discuss & explain each element View attachment 2044859
    • I dislike how the current screen focuses attention on this circular button setup. I want to see the characters in the fight. The characters are interesting to look at, the circular button thing is not.
      • Ideally, what would happen with the combat screens is that each character would have different poses for different upcoming attacks. (ex. If your enemy's next attack will be "Slash" then you will see the enemy character sprite show as "Enemy_Slash1" (or a variation, 2, 3, etc). This would allow players to actually "see" the battle by watching the enemy's sprite, then choosing the correct response. That is much more interesting and visceral than reading text.
      • Health bars are drawn over the character sprites. This is Important information, so it goes in the center of the screen.
      • Not depicted: I dislike how the current battle screen is completely blacked out. When the player fights a Goblin in a cave or a Wench in her castle, it would be cooler if we could actually see renders in the background.
    • I removed the overly-complicated circular button setup, instead now there are 4 buttons.
      • First button is a drop-down or toggle button, allowing the player to switch between the different stances (e.g. "Aggressive", "Defensive" etc)
      • The next three buttons are your primary attacks. Much simpler presentation and easier to read & click.
    • Over on the right we have a Combat Log
      • The combat log depicts turns in the battle sequentially. No more reading a text box to try and parse out what move the enemy used.
      • Presenting your move and the opponent's move drastically clarifies what happened in a given turn
      • Results of the actions are also depicted, showing damage done & using color coding to demonstrate if your move was good or bad.
Let me know what you think about this.
I like the Circle system that is already in place because it clearly shows what beats what, but I tend to agree that the graphical representation of the fight could be better, it would be nice to have visual cues about what you opponent is doing, Combat is all guesswork, watching for cues like how they are distributing their weight, foot placement, even emotional cues like Anger Vs Calm, might help predicting a charge vs a faint.

I disagree about just cutting out "normal", My changes would be mostly limited to rebranding,
(sounds like you want Attack/Defend/Subdue?) might work? feel too simple for me

I Like Heavy/Light/Sweeping/Defend
(sweeping attack are nonlethal attacks like Shield Bash, Shoulder Barge, Kick, Pommel Strike)

• Strong/slow attack that delivers a lot of damage but is vulnerable to fast/light attacks that can interrupt them during their swing/windup phase,
  • Fast/light attacks that do very little damage but are very hard to defend against, but vulnerable to sweeping attacks that can push through them
  • Sweeping attacks aka Subdue are fast attacks designed for stunning and knocking of balance, all about not chopping up your near future date (I like that Troll ass unbloodied thank you very much)
  • I'd like to see a Grapple attack too, something that might be an early finisher against weaker opponents, maybe create extra lewd opportunities with torn clothes or awkward poses.
    (So it would look a lot like the current target shape with the addition of a bulleye Grapple attack if you think you'r2 tough enough)
I'd suggest merging elements like those PVNUser suggested with the current system rather than replacing it out right
keeping the Circle controller, but adding Graphical elements that show what the fighters are doing.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
While that's true, it's reasonable to restate this criticism as, "The RPS single combat in this game isn't very fun or engaging." I'd agree with that criticism. Beyond that, how do we actually make this mechanic fun? That's less clear.

Some suggestions:

• While the core concept of Riposte, Parry, Slash attacks is fine, I feel this system is overcomplicated due to the inclusion of Aggressive, Normal, Defensive, and Subdue intensity levels. A simple system now becomes complicated.
    • I would probably simplify this to just Aggressive/Defensive intensity levels. I don't see a need for specific "Subdue" intensity, and "Normal" intensity is just pointless
      • Follow-up suggestion: Since this suggestion removes "Subdue" attacks, players would be given the prompt after a battle on how they want to resolve it (for combats where Subdue is relevant).
    • Slightly less simplified version: Keep "Aggressive", "Defensive", "Subdue" intensity, but drop "Normal." This is basically the same, but we drop it down to 9 possible actions per turn instead of 12. That's a lot more manageable.
  • I am not a fan of the GUI for duels at all. I think this screen is poorly laid out, and this is one of the bigger reasons why the combat feels bad and unrewarding.
    • Here is a concept art I created for a possible way to improve the screen. I will discuss & explain each element View attachment 2044859
    • I dislike how the current screen focuses attention on this circular button setup. I want to see the characters in the fight. The characters are interesting to look at, the circular button thing is not.
      • Ideally, what would happen with the combat screens is that each character would have different poses for different upcoming attacks. (ex. If your enemy's next attack will be "Slash" then you will see the enemy character sprite show as "Enemy_Slash1" (or a variation, 2, 3, etc). This would allow players to actually "see" the battle by watching the enemy's sprite, then choosing the correct response. That is much more interesting and visceral than reading text.
      • Health bars are drawn over the character sprites. This is Important information, so it goes in the center of the screen.
      • Not depicted: I dislike how the current battle screen is completely blacked out. When the player fights a Goblin in a cave or a Wench in her castle, it would be cooler if we could actually see renders in the background.
    • I removed the overly-complicated circular button setup, instead now there are 4 buttons.
      • First button is a drop-down or toggle button, allowing the player to switch between the different stances (e.g. "Aggressive", "Defensive" etc)
      • The next three buttons are your primary attacks. Much simpler presentation and easier to read & click.
    • Over on the right we have a Combat Log
      • The combat log depicts turns in the battle sequentially. No more reading a text box to try and parse out what move the enemy used.
      • Presenting your move and the opponent's move drastically clarifies what happened in a given turn
      • Results of the actions are also depicted, showing damage done & using color coding to demonstrate if your move was good or bad.
Let me know what you think about this.

Wow, lots of good ideas here PVNUser and Stil996 .

1. The RPS started with me trying to come up with an easy to implement 1:1 combat system. I agree that it is now perceived as overcomplicated and not fun but I think its heart is in the right place. I have over 40 hours of playing Peasant Quest and I support it on a monthly basis but I fucking hate its combat, the "classic" RPG combat. You make almost zero decisions and the ones you make are usually so obvious you'll lose if you don't make them.

2. I actually love the core of the RPS system. Potentially, it can be very rewarding to successfully anticipate an opponent's next move and counter it. This brings me to two ways of determining the opponent's attack: random (with visual hints) or predetermined (without hints). Random with hints can be fun once you realize what each sprite/image translate to. Predetermined (with no hints) can allow me to convey the opponents' skill through their attack patterns. Currently most attack strings consist of 6 different attacks but less combat savvy opponents (like Jenna "the barbarian" from the Red Arena) have only 2, while Tana'dur's orc bodyguard has 7. It's another type of fun, to figure out the attack pattern.

3. As for the different type of attacks, Defensive is crucial and Normal/Aggressive are good for flavor (although maybe I could drop Aggressive) but I'm trying to wrap my head around Subdue. Do I really need it? If I tell the players "if you don't Subdue the Wench you murderize her", where is the choice here? 99/100 people kill the Wench by accident anyway. Perhaps Subdue needs to go. Plot wise, I can allow the player the option to kill their opponent after combat when there's some sort of advantage in that (like killing or not killing Gerard, the Seamstress husband in Oryeonguk).

4. The RPS Rings will stay, because they easily visualize the relations between each attack type.

5. Logs are a great idea. Perhaps it could be a bonus ("Combat Wisdom") provided by a Wench.

6. Black background: it's a practical solution since I don't always have a render suitable for combat.

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
...2. I actually love the core of the RPS system. Potentially, it can be very rewarding to successfully anticipate an opponent's next move and counter it. This brings me to two ways of determining the opponent's attack: random (with visual hints) or predetermined (without hints). Random with hints can be fun once you realize what each sprite/image translate to. Predetermined (with no hints) can allow me to convey the opponents' skill through their attack patterns. Currently most attack strings consist of 6 different attacks but less combat savvy opponents (like Jenna "the barbarian" from the Red Arena) have only 2, while Tana'dur's orc bodyguard has 7. It's another type of fun, to figure out the attack pattern...
How about you implement both ways, weaker, inexperienced opponents will telegraph their next move if you are paying enough attention, while more skilled opponents know how to hide their intentions, and maybe even mislead you by imitating a less experienced fighters stance.
how about an extra button for actions to bring some variety into the fights, options such as
  • Taunt (To try and anger your opponent to make them more rash),
  • Slip (attempt to trick your opponent into thinking you have slipped and are vulnerable),
  • Cower (to make your opponent think you are about to flee)
  • Flirt (similar to Taunt)

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm toying with the idea of Taunting for over a year now. An evil approach of informing the Wench in graphic details what are you going to do to her once you beat her or a more lighthearted/humorous approach of things like "OOhh, you almost scratched my pretty face!" (like the flirt you mentioned).

So many ideas, so little time ;)

Reactions: Stil996

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
I'm toying with the idea of Taunting for over a year now. An evil approach of informing the Wench in graphic details what are you going to do to her once you beat her or a more lighthearted/humorous approach of things like "OOhh, you almost scratched my pretty face!" (like the flirt you mentioned).

So many ideas, so little time ;)
Taunting is a cool tactic, even the Best fighters can be goaded into acting like a raw amateurs if you can figure the right emotional buttons to push, you could make this a hidden objective during infiltrations, to discover weakness in key fighters so when you do face them in combat you can taunt them effectively.

I like the idea of trickery in a fight, particularly against women, Slip or Cower to make her think you are vulnerable, and when she rushes to finish you, you can grapple her into submission. :D.
The only problem is deciding which of the many options are you going to once you have her locked in, do you make her beg first or go ahead and use her however you like?

PVNUser

Jan 22, 2022
Wow, lots of good ideas here PVNUser and Stil996 .

1. The RPS started with me trying to come up with an easy to implement 1:1 combat system. I agree that it is now perceived as overcomplicated and not fun but I think its heart is in the right place. I have over 40 hours of playing Peasant Quest and I support it on a monthly basis but I fucking hate its combat, the "classic" RPG combat. You make almost zero decisions and the ones you make are usually so obvious you'll lose if you don't make them.
I think the core of the RPS system is fine as well, I primarily think that it's not enjoyable due to the presentation (elements I already mentioned in previous post). As already mentioned, I would simplify some elements of the current design, because I feel they're complicated for little benefit. However, in general the simplification would likely make room for additional complexity in other, more interesting, ways.

While I think the foundation here has promise, in practice it seems almost everyone seems to prefer to use the chicken to skip the fights: If the game has a feature that is widely skipped by players then why is it there? To me that is an indication something about this mechanic isn't working right.

2. I actually love the core of the RPS system. Potentially, it can be very rewarding to successfully anticipate an opponent's next move and counter it. This brings me to two ways of determining the opponent's attack: random (with visual hints) or predetermined (without hints). Random with hints can be fun once you realize what each sprite/image translate to. Predetermined (with no hints) can allow me to convey the opponents' skill through their attack patterns. Currently most attack strings consist of 6 different attacks but less combat savvy opponents (like Jenna "the barbarian" from the Red Arena) have only 2, while Tana'dur's orc bodyguard has 7. It's another type of fun, to figure out the attack pattern.
On visuals versus memorization (#2): The least enjoyable element of the combat to me is simply that it drags on far longer than it needs to due to the requirement to memorize a pattern, likely starting a fight using all defensive options, and then picking the right moves afterwards. The best way to play this is boring. Sitting down and taking notes is good for puzzle games like Myst, but doesn't make sense for this type of game, especially not when this is supposed to be a combat system.

Worse, once you know the pattern of attacks, you no longer feel these are characters. It's just an automaton that is playing through a pre-scripted sequence of moves. I don't want fully randomized attacks either, because I do like what you're trying to do in the sense of communicating fighting prowess. There's a variety of options on how to do this in a way that gives some of what you tried to accomplish, a sense of skill or fighting style, while also making the combat have some interaction beyond defense, writing down the pattern, and then winning.*

However, to make it actually interactive, you need to give the player clues on what the opponent's next move will be. Personally I think doing this visually via a sprite pose is the best way to accomplish this. This also frees up the text dialog area so that when you have fights with wenches, you can actually have dialogue between the characters instead of just using it to display info about a slash doing 10 points of damage. At that point, the fight actually becomes part of the visual novel's buildup, so players can enjoy taunting and psychologically breaking the wenches before taking them.

* If you want to put the game source on GitHub or GitLab I would be willing to help work on the combat system.

5. Logs are a great idea. Perhaps it could be a bonus ("Combat Wisdom") provided by a Wench.
I don't like the idea of blocking this feature off entirely. It's something players should have access to from the beginning. However, it's reasonable that your combat log would only be of limited size, say 2 or 3 moves to begin with. Certain game tasks could increase the size of the log .

6. Black background: it's a practical solution since I don't always have a render suitable for combat.
Seems like it should just be a matter of rendering out whatever scene without characters placed in it, if I'm not mistaken?

Referencing "Taunt" and other actions that don't fit neatly into a Rock-Paper-Scissors system, I think such options are worthwhile and when I created the original concept art image, I had intended something more like this:

KhanCombatConcept2.png
Options on the left there might be any number of things. Taunt is a fairly obvious one and has been discussed. For the second option there I have put "Viagra" but the core idea is simply an option that might be an item or tool acquired through some sidequest. The third button represents the main character requesting assistance from an ally (such as Domia) during the fight.

Eventually I would like to see these kinds of special options added. I did not want to suggest this initially because I feel like the current system is too complex, and has other issues that need to be addressed first before attempting to add these things on top of it.

Last edited:

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
...If the game has a feature that is widely skipped by players then why is it there? To me that is an indication something about this mechanic isn't working right.
Absolutely right.

On visuals versus memorization (#2): The least enjoyable element of the combat to me is simply that it drags on far longer than it needs to due to the requirement to memorize a pattern, likely starting a fight using all defensive options, and then picking the right moves afterwards. The best way to play this is boring. Sitting down and taking notes is good for puzzle games like Myst, but doesn't make sense for this type of game, especially not when this is supposed to be a combat system.

Worse, once you know the pattern of attacks, you no longer feel these are characters. It's just an automaton that is playing through a pre-scripted sequence of moves. I don't want fully randomized attacks either, because I do like what you're trying to do in the sense of communicating fighting prowess. There's a variety of options on how to do this in a way that gives some of what you tried to accomplish, a sense of skill or fighting style, while also making the combat have some interaction beyond defense, writing down the pattern, and then winning.*

However, to make it actually interactive, you need to give the player clues on what the opponent's next move will be. Personally I think doing this visually via a sprite pose is the best way to accomplish this. This also frees up the text dialog area so that when you have fights with wenches, you can actually have dialogue between the characters instead of just using it to display info about a slash doing 10 points of damage. At that point, the fight actually becomes part of the visual novel's buildup, so players can enjoy taunting and psychologically breaking the wenches before taking them.

* If you want to put the game source on GitHub or GitLab I would be willing to help work on the combat system.
Sure, send me your GitLab user.

I don't like the idea of blocking this feature off entirely. It's something players should have access to from the beginning. However, it's reasonable that your combat log would only be of limited size, say 2 or 3 moves to begin with. Certain game tasks could increase the size of the log .
Nice. However, why would you need a combat log if the attacks are not scripted?

Seems like it should just be a matter of rendering out whatever scene without characters placed in it, if I'm not mistaken?
Not sure what you mean by that.

Referencing "Taunt" and other actions that don't fit neatly into a Rock-Paper-Scissors system, I think such options are worthwhile and when I created the original concept art image, I had intended something more like this:

View attachment 2050114
Options on the left there might be any number of things. Taunt is a fairly obvious one and has been discussed. For the second option there I have put "Viagra" but the core idea is simply an option that might be an item or tool acquired through some sidequest. The third button represents the main character requesting assistance from an ally (such as Domia) during the fight.

Eventually I would like to see these kinds of special options added. I did not want to suggest this initially because I feel like the current system is too complex, and has other issues that need to be addressed first before attempting to add these things on top of it.
Yeah, let's polish what we currently have before adding more options. I have plenty of patience to make the game great, so I don't mind if polishing the RPS will take months or even years.