VN Ren'Py Abandoned Unexpected Adventures [Ch. 6 July 2020 Version] [Macadam]

3.70 star(s) 10 Votes

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
Wow, I've never had anything translated before- that I've written. Lol Gracias

Just make sure you don't get in trouble with the Mods- (I believe) all posts have to be in English. :p
its ok to talk another language, as long they are a small translation in english to go with it.
"Ninja Chicken, Supersonic Owls, Bureaucratic Penguins" What? O_O

bossapplesauce: Were is UpDate Log to Ch.4 and Ch.5? O_O
all changelog are available on my patreon, if you want to know specifically how it changed.
i didnt copy all the patreon post here, because that would make the thread thousand pages long of stuff that (lots of peoples) didnt care at all. i know some peoples never read changelog, justto have the surprise to see what's up in each version :)
also latest changelog should be in a comment or 2 just before (or after) the last release comment. soo should be like 1-2 pages before or something. :p

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
also.. iforget to mention (again).. but game have now a "shemale" tag. but its completly optional and its up to you to choose. :)
i guess its the best way to present that kind of fetish/kink without getting hated by who doesnt like it XD

jrc82

Dec 30, 2017
It's so out of the norm, it's ridiculous.. That makes me love your game, because it's not like anything else on here. Keep it up!

Reactions: macadam
May 30, 2017
Hey man,

My review of your game wasn't my best work I will admit. I was having a lousy couple of days and so was more negative than maybe I shouldve been. I'll have another go at your game over the next few days, try and get further in, and update my review accordingly.

The one big point I will stress is that, like you seem to realize, first impressions are everything. There are a few simple things you could do to improve upon those for next version that might not take a ton of work.

First, I would make your menu a bit cleaner. The, perhaps intentional(?), misspellings in the menu itself send a REALLY bad message to potential players. It might be that you are trying to give off a carefree vibe similar to your game's tone, but given the number of Engrish games out there it immediately sets off alarm bells when the menu is riddled with errors. The player hasnt played your game yet, they won't get that the menu reflects the tone of your game if they close the game at or just after the menu screen.

Second, I would get your proofreaders to go over the wtfpedia section. They are very, very difficult to read. Obviously fix up the spelling and grammar stuff, but you might consider cutting the information back a bit. Having like 20 full pages of text thrown my way before even starting the game was a MASSIVE turnoff. Personally, having such an in depth glossary for me belies bad storytelling. If it is important it should be in the game, if it isn't then why would I care as a reader? But if you are going to have it just cut it back a little and make it legible.

Third, I'd tidy up the graphics of the menu and wtfpedia. The wtfpedia having just scaled down versions of each of the text pages to click on looks bad. Maybe just have a picture of the characters face, or a picture with a name under it. Having a scaled down page made it impossible for me to know who the page was about without fullscreening the page. Also the main menu screen changing graphics when you move the mouse is really jarring. Maybe make it cycle through a few different renders. It'd be a lot cleaner than what youve got right now.

And last, and this one would be more work, but I think itd definitely be worth it in the long run, I would tie the wtfpedia and the cg gallery to in game progress. When I meet a character in game unlock that glossary page for the player. Before that its just information the player doesnt need that creates clutter. The amount of clutter in the menu alone is overwhelming.

Anywho, thanks for your detailed replies and more good luck on your game! :)

Also, not to nit-pick...but I love the irony of someone who critiques someone's English and misspells "doesn't" and "you're". Lol
Well I read your comment after typing all this up. I'm glad I didn't read it earlier because I might not have typed all this if I had. But the dev hasn't been antagonistic so I'ma post it all anyway. Sorry for not using apostrophes in a forum post to save time. Sarcastically comparing a forum post to a released game just to shame someone somewhat undercuts that high road you spoke about. It also makes the multiple smiley faces seem sarcastic as well. Good on you for helping the dev out, that's honestly really good of you, but that little bit of intentional antagonism at the end - even after saying it was good we avoided flaming - is discouraging.

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
Hey man,

My review of your game wasn't my best work I will admit. I was having a lousy couple of days and so was more negative than maybe I shouldve been. I'll have another go at your game over the next few days, try and get further in, and update my review accordingly.

The one big point I will stress is that, like you seem to realize, first impressions are everything. There are a few simple things you could do to improve upon those for next version that might not take a ton of work.

First, I would make your menu a bit cleaner. The, perhaps intentional(?), misspellings in the menu itself send a REALLY bad message to potential players. It might be that you are trying to give off a carefree vibe similar to your game's tone, but given the number of Engrish games out there it immediately sets off alarm bells when the menu is riddled with errors. The player hasnt played your game yet, they won't get that the menu reflects the tone of your game if they close the game at or just after the menu screen.

Second, I would get your proofreaders to go over the wtfpedia section. They are very, very difficult to read. Obviously fix up the spelling and grammar stuff, but you might consider cutting the information back a bit. Having like 20 full pages of text thrown my way before even starting the game was a MASSIVE turnoff. Personally, having such an in depth glossary for me belies bad storytelling. If it is important it should be in the game, if it isn't then why would I care as a reader? But if you are going to have it just cut it back a little and make it legible.

Third, I'd tidy up the graphics of the menu and wtfpedia. The wtfpedia having just scaled down versions of each of the text pages to click on looks bad. Maybe just have a picture of the characters face, or a picture with a name under it. Having a scaled down page made it impossible for me to know who the page was about without fullscreening the page. Also the main menu screen changing graphics when you move the mouse is really jarring. Maybe make it cycle through a few different renders. It'd be a lot cleaner than what youve got right now.

And last, and this one would be more work, but I think itd definitely be worth it in the long run, I would tie the wtfpedia and the cg gallery to in game progress. When I meet a character in game unlock that glossary page for the player. Before that its just information the player doesnt need that creates clutter. The amount of clutter in the menu alone is overwhelming.

Anywho, thanks for your detailed replies and more good luck on your game! :)

Well I read your comment after typing all this up. I'm glad I didn't read it earlier because I might not have typed all this if I had. But the dev hasn't been antagonistic so I'ma post it all anyway. Sorry for not using apostrophes in a forum post to save time. Sarcastically comparing a forum post to a released game just to shame someone somewhat undercuts that high road you spoke about. It also makes the multiple smiley faces seem sarcastic as well. Good on you for helping the dev out, that's honestly really good of you, but that little bit of intentional antagonism at the end - even after saying it was good we avoided flaming - is discouraging.
hmm ok, i try to answer lol

1- i dont really understand what you mean by "the menu"... if you talk about the main menu with all the option (start,load,wtfpedia,setting ,etc..) , then i changed it randomly in a grotesque way to fit the game. Thta's why it say "fap fap fap" and else.. i could perfectly have just let the menu as it, or modify it a bit tosomething better. but meh, its just the menu. i will redo it, but its clearly not my first priority right now. i want to say, its just the menu... its not like a player gonna stay 3 hours on the menu just top watch a static screen with options on it XD. i must concentrate more into the game itself than the menu. it maybe show a bad first imporession but.. let's be honest... the simple banner in this thread show an even more bad first impression of the game sooo... yeah, clarly my game scream and big "THIS GAME IS NOT GOOD!" .. imho, its good like this, at least, peoples who want to play it can expect some bad stuff in it. its better than creating an wonderful banner, wonderful menu, that lead to an shitty game (i saw that happening too much).

2- the wtfpedia section is NOT readproofed at all... reasons behind that is my own stupidity :rolleyes:, i put myslf the text directly on the renders without giving a chance to he proofreader to check on it. and soo obviously, the files end with extra shitty english.
i put that on my "to do" list for next release. i have no excuse for that. but at the time i started it, and created a small bunch of these wtfpedia files.. i didnt having any proofreader at all, soo i did it myself and i still continu to do it myself. shame on me ...

3- for the wtfpedia menu, i could easily "lock" the files until the player meet with the char. i canalso create an small portrait icon on them wich lead to the wtfpedia file (text) for each chars. but that would require to implent even more script into my already super messy script, at the risk of broking the whole thing. As you know, i m not a pro at DAZ or ren'py. i trytodoall the shit by myself and for a noob, its hard. i can do that, but again, like for the main menu, its not an priority. i prefer make the game complete and stable, before attacking script that can easily broke the whole thing or add errors.
its maybe a shitty move, but i think its better, for me because it avoid me too much error/broke in the script, and for the players because its better to enjoy the game in priority than having the game broken by something "secondary" like the wtfpedia or menu. ( i hope you understand my point of view)

as for your last point... i could put the gallery and wtfpedia directly in the game via a Phone interface or similar. i worked on my own phone interface, sadly it appear to have some incompatibility with some others script,soo i took it out for time to fix it, before implenting it in the game.
the phone interface is definitly planned into the game and will give access to multiples things, such as minigame, internet (fake), photos, wtfpedia, gallery and much more.

but again, my priority right now is the game itself, story first. i dont want to waste too much time doing optional stuff at the risk of breaking the most important part of it. i can say for now, the game is far..far away from his final style. lots of stuff need to be implented. But yup, like i say it too much already in this comment. that will come in time.

here my point of view of the development of the game in global :

game (until completed or amost) = optionalstuff in it = menu,UI and else

instead of :

game (progress) > optional stuff > UI > game (to the end)

it also feel less scam for who patron me. i cant just make a update just to fix Ui and small things without adding anything in the game progress. and sadly, i CANT do both due to my shitty pc. soo i prefer sacrifice the UI/optional for doing the game progression first.

(its also a better % of chance to not have bugs, once the game is finished an stable, i can take all my time to fix everything up without stressing.)

you dont need to change your review. giving an opinion is important, whatever it say in it. as long its not just some "its bad", "its shit" or else without any points mentionned.

receiving your review boosted me to try doing even better, wich is good for everybody :) (but well, i m still a noob, doing a crazy game with super shit materials, i m not gonna make some miracles suddently XD )

Reactions: Safetydummy

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
soo much engrish -_-... i blame it on my keyboard (wich is.. btw.. an Azerty keyboard.) :sneaky:

May 30, 2017
soo much engrish -_-... i blame it on my keyboard (wich is.. btw.. an Azerty keyboard.)
Mmmm, most standard keyboard layouts are intentionally designed to be inefficient. When the keyboards were being designed typewriters were prone to jam if used to quickly so the keyboard was intentionally designed to slow the typist down by putting keys frequently used together further apart. Keyboards are one of the most inefficient holdovers that our society still uses. Apparently your government is looking into trying to replace the AZERTY keyboard with a better design, which I didn't know but find pretty cool.

All that aside, it's totally your game and yours to do with as you will. I would suggest that at the very least clearing up the crazy menu labels a bit might be a good move. Acclimate your players to the crazy lol. The menu gives the wrong first impression imo.

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
Mmmm, most standard keyboard layouts are intentionally designed to be inefficient. When the keyboards were being designed typewriters were prone to jam if used to quickly so the keyboard was intentionally designed to slow the typist down by putting keys frequently used together further apart. Keyboards are one of the most inefficient holdovers that our society still uses. Apparently your government is looking into trying to replace the AZERTY keyboard with a better design, which I didn't know but find pretty cool.

All that aside, it's totally your game and yours to do with as you will. I would suggest that at the very least clearing up the crazy menu labels a bit might be a good move. Acclimate your players to the crazy lol. The menu gives the wrong first impression imo.
hm, seriously not sure that will be done. we used that keyboard style forever. its gonna be extra painfull to make peoples change. ( i myself cant figure how to write corretly with an qwerty keyboard , it change more than just the 2 first letters XD )

i will check if i can mix wtfpedia and gallery in one unique sub-menu. that will give only 1 option in main menu and when player select it, it open the 2 sub menu for choose between wtfpedia and cggallery. but well, it doesnt sound like that, but its more hard to do than to say. i can give a try.
right now, i m all on story, wich will be the biggst update ,as i cant use my pc while doing it. this sadly will wait the end of the renders to be tryed. (also to not take too much time before next udpate, wich already take lots of time)

no garantee ... i m not sure to manage to do it correctly.

also, i forget to mention before, about the small image swapping in main menu. i pretty like it and not gonna change it. it can look bad. but its the main idea. can always be upgraded, but at least, the base is here :)

Reactions: Safetydummy
May 30, 2017
Qwerty keyboard has the same problems. Also I think it might be exclusive to government workers. I dunno, just something I read. Anywho, like I said, it's your game, I just told you the things that made me stop playing it. If there are other people with the same preferences as me then I thought it might help you retain more players. But that doesn't matter too much with this. This is clearly a passion project for you, and if youre getting what you want out of it then my opinion is irrelevant. I didn't like what I saw. So what. Others do. And you do, which is the most important thing. You're learning new skills. Maybe your next game will be more my speed. Who knows! But again, good luck! If you ever do decide to redo the menu and intro in the far future shoot me a message if you feel like it.

May 30, 2017
It's ironic that you would use the word "antagonistic", considering the vicious nature of your initial "review". You just admitted that you were having a bad day before trying this game and that it may have "influenced" your opinion of it- so it may not have been your best work or your best decision. Why take it out on someone that wasn't responsible for your foul mood? What if your hurtful comments really affected the Dev on a personal/emotional level?
Everything I said in my review was accurate to what I saw of the game. I gave up on the game earlier than I might have if I had been in a better mood. Games shouldn't require you to get through all the worst parts of it at the very, very start. I have every right to have an opinion of a game, and to form that opinion how I see fit. You don't have the right to launch personal attacks on this forum. I haven't attacked you or the dev personally. I have acknowledged numerous times before you started commenting that the dev is a good dude that I respect, I just really didnt enjoy his game, I gave reasons as to why. The language, the art, the characterization, the design. All were valid criticisms that I have maintained. The "vicious" review I left mentioned the dev being a great person in the first AND last lines. It also mentioned all the way through that the games faults were largely due to things outside of his control and cited multiple specific areas that I believed needed improvement.

I also maintain that allowing things like the limitations the dev has in his process to affect a review score isn't objective or fair to other games on this site. I reviewed the game as I saw it, not just based on it being unusual or being the best the dev could do under his personal circumstances. I try to remain objective because I think that is far more respectful than not doing so. If you create stuff you have to be willing to take honest criticism. The dev is willing to give such criticism and I respect him for it. I think he has proven to be strong enough to receive criticism himself. It's not my responsibility to censor my artistic opinion by operating under the assumption that no one can handle negative opinions.

The dev is a cool dude. I said I'd give the game another go because he was polite and convinced me that I should. I reckon you should let the dev speak for himself, because even in non-native english he did a very commendable and effective job that your attacks only served to undermine.

Reactions: ontach and macadam

Down Fallen

Aug 8, 2018
Gonna give this a shot soon....
The renders look alright for 3delight, who knows they may get even better so keep on trying and you will get there soon with great quality stuff.

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
Qwerty keyboard has the same problems. Also I think it might be exclusive to government workers. I dunno, just something I read. Anywho, like I said, it's your game, I just told you the things that made me stop playing it. If there are other people with the same preferences as me then I thought it might help you retain more players. But that doesn't matter too much with this. This is clearly a passion project for you, and if youre getting what you want out of it then my opinion is irrelevant. I didn't like what I saw. So what. Others do. And you do, which is the most important thing. You're learning new skills. Maybe your next game will be more my speed. Who knows! But again, good luck! If you ever do decide to redo the menu and intro in the far future shoot me a message if you feel like it.
they are like 99,9% of chance i remake the game once finished.
to give him a bit more "chance" to be see by peoples. better graphism and all.
that just gonna happen when its completed. not before. but it will be there, almost sure.

i dont think i need to send a mesage to you in futur. maybe you will see it and react like
" hmm, this name ring a bell..."
and then trying and maybe see how good it is once redone with better skills and stuff.

well, let's hope XD. if not, then that would mean i didnt learned anything :cry:.

one day, the chicken will cross the road.. haha. my hope is that day, the peoples who doesnt give my game a try (because they just say its shit based on renders in OP or else) just realise that they missed a small hidden gem.

i always find it sad that peoples tend to get an opinion too quickly. sometime they dont even give a try at all and just say "nope" because of whatever reason. i myself are like this sometime, i admit. but mostly because i know the game gonna be the same as i played thousand of time in others or containt some strong kink that are absolutly not my thing.

at least, you give it a try , thank you. sadly you not like it. But like we say, only idiots doesnt change their mind. ( i not targeting to you at all , i just say this because it sound good to say in this situation, my bad if i failed and its not relevant at all XD )

only futur will tell.

ps: i dont need "luck" for my game. i do it for pleasure, and it please me. no luck is required, i dont try to be popular and getting tons of money. I honestly cant "fail" with my game, even if its super bad.. its always a success for me to have the chance to make my own things and share it :)

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
Gonna give this a shot soon....
The renders look good for 3delight, who knows they may get even better so keep on trying and you will get there soon with great quality stuff.
beginnig is bad (was my very first time), renders quality grow with game progress (even for 3Delights) and last update is made of iray (grainy a bit, but its just first time iray, soo its not perfect).. as for now, game is rendered in iray. but obviously, its far far away from great game like DiK or else . i can't reach that level :/

Reactions: vengefulspirit
May 30, 2017
You have an awesome outlook dude and I respect it a whole bunch. Thanks for the interesting chat! I will replace my wishing you luck with wishing you good health, fast internet, a powerful PC, and continued inspiration!

Down Fallen

Aug 8, 2018
beginnig is bad (was my very first time), renders quality grow with game progress (even for 3Delights) and last update is made of iray (grainy a bit, but its just first time iray, soo its not perfect).. as for now, game is rendered in iray. but obviously, its far far away from great game like DiK or else . i can't reach that level :/
I know how bad the begining is, right now i'm working on my own project and unfortunately it's gotta be in 3delight for starters the fact you made yours public boosted my confidence to go on with my project, so thanks for your positivity it's really helps in ways you may not know.

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
You have an awesome outlook dude and I respect it a whole bunch. Thanks for the interesting chat! I will replace my wishing you luck with wishing you good health, fast internet, a powerful PC, and continued inspiration!
thank you. it's good to talk with someone who didnt like my game but still explain me why and all. you give me a clear opinion of what many peoples maybe think about my game. and that's priceless :)

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
I know how bad the begining is, right now i'm working on my own project and unfortunately it's gotta be in 3delight for starters that fact the you made yours public boosted my confidence to go on with my project, so thanks for your positivity it's really helps in ways you may not know.
i hope it will come out soon :), its always good to see new games poping out.
i myself not care alots about renders quality. that doesnt mean anything to me. (some devs make great renders, but the game doesnt have anything interresting in it other than that).
just do it ! if you like what you do, nobody will stop you ( i hope, if you are like me )

3.70 star(s) 10 Votes