To all my fellow devs who are brave enough -what grinds your gears?

Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
... where to start...

I really dislike assumptions, especially baseless assumptions. People tend to group a certain kind of developer together with similar developers and think that they've figured it out based on very little information.
For instance I had a lot of comments that I was making a very unoriginal game when I first started, which makes me wonder where all the games like mine are? Because I sure haven't found them.

People who complain about obvious things, like breast size is something that's already been covered a bit, but some people really get heated about me not catering to the normal boob shape/size.
A lot of these comments are often like "euw fake tits", which can easily just be flipped around to "euw small tits", or "euw natural tits".
Point being; Be more accepting of other people's fetishes/preferences, there's no point in complaining about it.

Complaining about things as if they're set in stone.
This is a bit trickier, because some things aren't really reasonable to change, in my case the boob size/shape. But I have had complaints about things that are actual QoL things that I just didn't pick up on while testing on my own, then they get really mad that I would force people to do something like this and how bad of a developer I am.
Which ties into another point which is that a lot of developer on here are making VN's rather than sandbox style games, which is fine, but VN's inherently have less game mechanics thus will not require as much testing and refinement for said things.
This often results in people not being very supportive of the development cycle.
I get that this is partly due to my own abilities as a game designer, but I still think it's a valid point.

Catering to the masses or making something you are passionate about is something that can be really annoying sometimes.
I value originality and a lot of them time people suggest things to implement because this other game is doing it so why don't I just copy it? I think what really bothers me about this is the perspective of the player where they see no real distinction between my game and the other thousands of games out there. Maybe this is a bit of an exaggeration, but that is what it feels like a lot of the time.

I've also noticed quite a lot of people who complain about bugs, and unfinished parts even when playing a game without the "completed" tag, which to me makes no real sense.

There is also an amount of entitled people on here, I think that goes for anywhere in the world, but it's also something that's very hard to deal with. People expect you to deliver the things they want, which of course is a subjective matter, which means it will be in conflict of what someone else wants. This in turn means I can really only please one group at a time, and whenever that group that isn't pleased, they will be sure to complain. More often than not, they haven't actually supported the project either, which just makes even more confusing.
If you like a game, and the developer is active, try to read a bit and get a sense of how they do their development and if they don't seem unhinged, maybe give them the benefit of the doubt and trust them to deliver a good end product.
Some might argue that "you need thick skin", but even thick skin will ware out in time. And it never stops, no one is ever satisfied and the complaints just keep coming, it's tiring.

Oof, that's quite a lot, sorry if I pissed anyone off, that wasn't my intention. :)

Walg

Visual art is my magnet. Currently inactive
GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018
I was hoping to stay out of this conversation but since there's been slew of comments on tags, there's something planned to make the tag service better. Not sure what it is yet but at least it's been looked at.

@GaunterODimm, one of your suggestions is part of the thread.

Reactions: Only4You

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
... where to start...

I really dislike assumptions, especially baseless assumptions. People tend to group a certain kind of developer together with similar developers and think that they've figured it out based on very little information.
For instance I had a lot of comments that I was making a very unoriginal game when I first started, which makes me wonder where all the games like mine are? Because I sure haven't found them.

People who complain about obvious things, like breast size is something that's already been covered a bit, but some people really get heated about me not catering to the normal boob shape/size.
A lot of these comments are often like "euw fake tits", which can easily just be flipped around to "euw small tits", or "euw natural tits".
Point being; Be more accepting of other people's fetishes/preferences, there's no point in complaining about it.

Complaining about things as if they're set in stone.
This is a bit trickier, because some things aren't really reasonable to change, in my case the boob size/shape. But I have had complaints about things that are actual QoL things that I just didn't pick up on while testing on my own, then they get really mad that I would force people to do something like this and how bad of a developer I am.
Which ties into another point which is that a lot of developer on here are making VN's rather than sandbox style games, which is fine, but VN's inherently have less game mechanics thus will not require as much testing and refinement for said things.
This often results in people not being very supportive of the development cycle.
I get that this is partly due to my own abilities as a game designer, but I still think it's a valid point.

Catering to the masses or making something you are passionate about is something that can be really annoying sometimes.
I value originality and a lot of them time people suggest things to implement because this other game is doing it so why don't I just copy it? I think what really bothers me about this is the perspective of the player where they see no real distinction between my game and the other thousands of games out there. Maybe this is a bit of an exaggeration, but that is what it feels like a lot of the time.

I've also noticed quite a lot of people who complain about bugs, and unfinished parts even when playing a game without the "completed" tag, which to me makes no real sense.

There is also an amount of entitled people on here, I think that goes for anywhere in the world, but it's also something that's very hard to deal with. People expect you to deliver the things they want, which of course is a subjective matter, which means it will be in conflict of what someone else wants. This in turn means I can really only please one group at a time, and whenever that group that isn't pleased, they will be sure to complain. More often than not, they haven't actually supported the project either, which just makes even more confusing.
If you like a game, and the developer is active, try to read a bit and get a sense of how they do their development and if they don't seem unhinged, maybe give them the benefit of the doubt and trust them to deliver a good end product.
Some might argue that "you need thick skin", but even thick skin will ware out in time. And it never stops, no one is ever satisfied and the complaints just keep coming, it's tiring.

Oof, that's quite a lot, sorry if I pissed anyone off, that wasn't my intention. :)

Some humans have been conditioned to see what they want to see.
mixed-up-letters2_web_600.jpg
Sometimes it's rose colored, sometimes they see negatively.
They play your game, and they see what they expect to see. Then they make a comment, and it makes no sense.
Trying to correct them is futile, they can't help it, their brain does it automatically.
It would just be mean to tell them the truth "that wasn't a woman" just let them enjoy their fantasy.
Don't let their comment bother you. Other players might read the comment and laugh.

If you have a lot of negativity, you can try using more tranquil colors in your game.
b1645a0777823ab46933434372311e6e.jpg
They have been shown to put people in a better mood. So those players being in a better state of mind, will anticipate
more positive things when they play your game, and have a totally different experience.

Reactions: Only4You

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I was hoping to stay out of this conversation but since there's been slew of comments on tags, there's something planned to make the tag service better. Not sure what it is yet but at least it's been looked at.

@GaunterODimm, one of your suggestions is part of the thread.
After reading this thread, I'm even more convinced that tags aren't enough. I've said before, it sounds strange to say there should be an adult section, on an adult site, but some kinks really don't belong in general population.. negative responses to certain games spill over into other game threads, and that isn't fair to those developers. D-Block for the hardened criminals, or a VIP area, wouldn't deter people from playing those games if they want to. Suggestions for a Kink containment area?

Trans and Trap are not interchangeable. Trans are just ordinary people. A Trap is a scheme. A trap is set, the trap is sprung.
A Trap is an adrenaline junky, who gets off on the risk, of fooling straight guys. Traps are the ones you read about, being victims of hate crimes. Found beaten half to death in a men's room, by homophobes.

Trap game developers HATE tags, because it ruins the surprise. People who don't read the tags, or know what they mean are in for a treat.

Webcam Traps go viral, as someone comes across one, they forward a link to all their friends as a joke.

If you think NTR hate is bad, wait till you see trap game responses. Traps are almost as popular as incest, and like NTR, a lot of people would play trap games. But the current system here wouldn't work for trap games, the trap tag isn't effective.

tumblr_n2svjhJVpV1twr8xbo1_250.gif