VN Ren'Py Abandoned Thorny Trails [v0.15] [Era of Meat]

loikl

Feb 14, 2018
Thank you all for paying attention to my project. I don't know English and didn't have extra money to hire a translator, so I used ChatGPT to translate. I would be very grateful if you find any inaccuracies in the translation and let me know in the comments.
excellent start, it looks interesting, I would recommend that the animations you use for the characters be in a lighter format since loading an mp4 here every time you want to see the animation could be somewhat heavy, other than that it looks very good for you I wish luck.

Reactions: electronicselect
Mar 31, 2021
excellent start, it looks interesting, I would recommend that the animations you use for the characters be in a lighter format since loading an mp4 here every time you want to see the animation could be somewhat heavy, other than that it looks very good for you I wish luck.
That is why it is so stuttery. I would imagine that using WebM would be better and have a smaller footprint but I'm talking out my ass right now as I haven't done a deep dive on it. I do know that WebM is based on.... VP8 and Vorbis which Ren'Py supports. If they could get the size/load down while keeping the quality that would be great. Or maybe if Ren'Py allows during some of the previous scene they pre-load the animation in the background then when needed just change the layer it is on? Could do that at the beginning load of the game and just keep the animations in the background (or each Chapter?)

Reactions: drone4of2

Meat Master

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2017
That is why it is so stuttery. I would imagine that using WebM would be better and have a smaller footprint but I'm talking out my ass right now as I haven't done a deep dive on it. I do know that WebM is based on.... VP8 and Vorbis which Ren'Py supports. If they could get the size/load down while keeping the quality that would be great. Or maybe if Ren'Py allows during some of the previous scene they pre-load the animation in the background then when needed just change the layer it is on? Could do that at the beginning load of the game and just keep the animations in the background (or each Chapter?)
"We'll do it this way then. MP4 doesn't have an alpha channel, and I don't know how to optimize it without sacrificing the animation. Everyone is using Live2D, but I don't like that kind of animation."

Mar 31, 2021
"We'll do it this way then. MP4 doesn't have an alpha channel, and I don't know how to optimize it without sacrificing the animation. Everyone is using Live2D, but I don't like that kind of animation."
Just FYI I've never done a Ren'Py game so don't take what I say worth a grain of salt. Your animation was what lured me to try your game. Hopefully you find a decent way to do what your vision is :)

Meat Master

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2017
Just FYI I've never done a Ren'Py game so don't take what I say worth a grain of salt. Your animation was what lured me to try your game. Hopefully you find a decent way to do what your vision is :)
Check, I tried to optimize the animation, it seems like the flickering disappeared. This is my first attempt at working on the code myself. Previously, I had paid someone else to build the demo, but we have since gone our separate ways. Now, I am trying to clean up the mess they made and figure out what went wrong.

Reactions: jampfl

Meat Master

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2017
ignore the faulty animation of sprite movement, and check if the game's overall performance has improved?

Mar 31, 2021
ignore the faulty animation of sprite movement, and check if the game's overall performance has improved?
edit: To answer, it is still someone slow to load the animations. I don't know if it is faster than previously.... It might be. I'll re-edit this after I do a side by side.
re-edit: So the loading of the file is better in the gdrive one than the original one on the main page. It stutters a lot more on the original when loading and my laptop seems to heat up more (fans kick in, I have a 1070 in it, so it shouldn't for just a Ren'Py game).

I inserted a video which shows the black bars happening likely when the video loops. When she is big the background is fully covered by black, but it shows the boarder of the video when she's small. It seems like the loops in the tavern, when both the waitress and Ziggy are first in frame together, it does not show any black banding. Is that also a video file? If it is it is the best working one.

Also in the Gdrive one, the first "fiancee" is messed up.

At the end, it goes into Russian before the waitress comes up and when she's alone there is black boarder in her loop.

Last edited:

Meat Master

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2017
edit: To answer, it is still someone slow to load the animations. I don't know if it is faster than previously.... It might be. I'll re-edit this after I do a side by side.
re-edit: So the loading of the file is better in the gdrive one than the original one on the main page. It stutters a lot more on the original when loading and my laptop seems to heat up more (fans kick in, I have a 1070 in it, so it shouldn't for just a Ren'Py game).

I inserted a video which shows the black bars happening likely when the video loops. When she is big the background is fully covered by black, but it shows the boarder of the video when she's small. It seems like the loops in the tavern, when both the waitress and Ziggy are first in frame together, it does not show any black banding. Is that also a video file? If it is it is the best working one.

Also in the Gdrive one, the first "fiancee" is messed up.

At the end, it goes into Russian before the waitress comes up and when she's alone there is black boarder in her loop.
Please download again))