VN - Ren'Py - Abandoned - Their Beautiful World [v0.1.1] [Bright Sun Studios]

1. 4.00 star(s)

Zippity

The following review is based off my personal experience with playing this Game/Visual Novel... I try to be as brutally honest and detailed as I can, and these are my own opinions and thoughts, from one or more play throughs... The version this review is based on is v0.1...

This is an interesting Role Playing Game take on a visual novel/game... The biggest issue I really have with it, is that bestiality seems to be a big part of the lives of the elf race in the side stories... You don't see any visuals of it, but it is spoken about in the random events when dealing with any elves involved... I am not a fan of bestiality and will never find it erotic or sexual at all, and if this game ever actually has it as visuals (which it currently does not) or as something that is forced on the protagonist, I will most likely not play this VN/Game ever again... For now it seems to be taking more of a race background lore road, which is not as troubling, for now... This is the only reason, currently, why I can't give this VN/Game 5 stars... If it stays where it is as just background info, and never sees the light of day, then I might pump it up to 5 stars, but we'll have to see as it develops...

The visuals of the characters are pretty good, same with the backdrops... The combat system uses a mini-game involving the shaking of the mouse a lot while holding a button down... It's simple enough of a mini-game to not be bothersome, but i hope that dozens of different mini-games don't start popping up in future content... I just don't like mini-games that cause more wear and tear on hardware like you see in some other games, involving lots of rapid clicking and so forth... The dice/card game is an interesting addition though, which seems complicated at first, but it is basically a game of randomness and math, which was entertaining...

The script is pretty good, as I only ran into a few spelling/grammar errors... The plot revolves around a female protagonist who you create at the beginning of the game... You get to select some beginning stat bonuses as well as a few backstory elements, although I'm unsure at the moment if they really have any game play bearing on the story yet... They may just be role play flavor or effect hidden stats maybe, but I couldn't really tell... The protagonist along with her male companion, are investigating some disappearances of several men, and the possible involvement of a magic wielding serial killer... Once the investigation is complete and the criminal is dealt with, the current content ends right before going on to another case...

The game play involves going through some story with the companion, then having the option to explore the city and partake in random events or visiting discovered locations... After so many game days of this, the story continues, until again more game days of exploring, and this goes on until the current investigation is done... During the exploration, either new exploration zones are opened up, new places to visit are opened up, or random events come up... The random events seem for the moment to primarily be just short bits of story, perhaps background information concerning the game's universe, or card games, and the list goes on... They seem to be story fillers, to give the game play some depth...

As to any erotic content... You see some nudity here and there, some on the cards in the card/dice mini-game, some in the characters of random events, and so on... I didn't run into any direct erotic choices involving the protagonist... But, it is clear that since magic is apparently based on sexual energy, and the protagonist has hints as to having the occasional sexual urge, that I'm sure it will come into the play as future content develops... I would not doubt that...

There are some themes of things that occur in this game universe that may sound a bit dark and/or fall into the more extreme fetish arena... Obviously I've already mentioned that apparently elves have been known to have sex with animals and bear half-breeds of said creatures, but thank goodness that was just in description of elf behavior only... But there was also a moment when you find that the city sometimes uses an archaic form of punishment for thieves/criminals by placing them naked in a pit and everyone ejaculating all over them for hours or days... That was a bit over the top and dark in my opinion... Not really erotic... But it does give you a sense of where some of the story elements might be going with this VN/Game... We'll just need to wait and see how it develops...

Overall, beyond the bestiality crap, I actually enjoyed most of this VN/Game... It is very creative in how the game play works, as I've not seen this style before... The main story with the investigation was entertaining and gives the game play a mystery to be solved, sort of feel... The card/dice game was a nice touch... The random events, not all, but most of them added some depth to the over all game play... And for the most part I had fun reading/playing this VN/Game... Will I revisit it? Most definitely, but I do hope it doesn't go too overboard on some of the fetishes, or go too dark on the story... I'ld hate to see this one become a niche game, as it shows a lot of promise...