VN Ren'Py The Martin Experiment - Dev Thread

number500

Jul 19, 2020
tme_gif.gif

Development build ready and uploaded. :coffee:

I'm sending links to all level 3 supporters right now to test first-hand these new backgrounds. It took me two months to discover how to achieve this style consistently, and with this in place, the production time for interior scenes will reduce drastically. It's a big step.
Another huge step is that this week I was able to afford two 8GB sticks of RAM thanks to the patrons, and it shortened the wait time from 3,5 hours to a whopping 2 minutes when I'm rendering complex scenes! It's mind-blowing. Now I'm free to do a lot more in the project and wait less time to see the results.

From now on, I'll start to replace this 3D placeholder character for the protagonist interacting in this environment, and set up a pipeline to render individual interactable objects faster.

Rubiao

Feb 25, 2022
Hello, I would like to know if you will release a free version like the teaser, or if you will just release developments builds for patreons. I think it would bring a lot of people to release another version for free again and more people to subscribe your patreon. Btw, great game! I just played the teaser but I've been following the progress for 3 months :)

number500

Jul 19, 2020
Hello, I would like to know if you will release a free version like the teaser, or if you will just release developments builds for patreons.
These development builds are like a way to prove that I'm really working on this project, so the patrons don't give up on me LOL, and to show the progress made in a more direct way.

I think it would bring a lot of people to release another version for free again and more people to subscribe your patreon.
I agree 100% with you on this. The thing is that the builds launched until now are in a prototype state, with ugly graphics and very clunky gameplay. I may be wrong, but I'm afraid that playing it in this state would make people run away from this project instead of supporting it.
So I'm planning to make public releases only after I start to touch a bit more on the cutscenes, so I can at least show off the drawings and interactions of the characters. It would make it a bit more appealing to support.

Btw, great game! I just played the teaser but I've been following the progress for 3 months :)
I get closer to releasing a public test version every time I find a way to overcome a setback. These findings are happening almost daily, and I'm becoming more productive and efficient with time. Reading things like this makes me feel more compelled to hurry up and deliver this episode as soon as possible. So thanks for the words and for the patience!

Rubiao

Feb 25, 2022
Yes, im waiting because i really know the real potential of this game.
My opinion is that there are not many people yet because there is no sexual content yet.
In this type of game, have things the people like:
1 - Good Art
2 - Good story
3 - Minigames and exploration
4 - Sexual content (of course xD)
5 - Gameplay that´s not linear (like can´t choose nothing, just click)
6 - Feeling of progress

I think that you can do it all of that but you need focus, time and a better hardware to be more produtive. Good Luck and a good work!

number500

Jul 19, 2020
martin_quarto.gif

sala.gif

corridora.gif

corridorb.gif

We finally started to put the character exploring the house.
The lead artist had to take some time off, so I'm training a new artist to keep this project going. It will take some days of interaction until he gets a hold of how we are doing things at the moment. Wish me luck.

I'm planning some changes to our Patreon page and thinking of something for our social media accounts. I want to make this project more attractive for supporters and make our progress more open.

1 - Good Art
2 - Good story
3 - Minigames and exploration
4 - Sexual content (of course xD)
5 - Gameplay that´s not linear (like can´t choose nothing, just click)
6 - Feeling of progress
I think 1 and 2 are our stronger points right now.
3: I prefer exploration way more than minigames. It's not fair to insert minigames to create distractions from the plot or to make the gameplay feel longer than it should be. I prefer to flex my flimsy programmer muscles in other ways.
4: Ah, the juiciest part of an adult game. We can't disappoint on this by any means.
5: This is the hardest thing to get right and manage during development. Sometimes, adding one more branch is all it takes to make a project impossible to handle. The same happens if you play with freedom in a segment without thinking enough of its implications on the plot, or on how much more you have to draw sprites, reactions, and backgrounds to accommodate this freedom.
6: I think this is tightly related to my storytelling, so it's part of item 2.

number500

Jul 19, 2020
I did some improvements on the Patreon page. Here are the changes:
  • Reworked the text of all membership levels to be more concise.
  • New $9 membership level: Enthusiast.
  • We completely revamped our Discord server. It's open to everyone. .
  • 'About' section went through an extensive facelift.
What changed in the About section?
  • Now it describes all the perks present at each tier
  • Introduces the pinups - a new thing I'm trying to help promote this project more
  • It now tells a bit about who I am and my intentions on this project.
  • The game's description is more appealing to read.
I recommend you all to try and look at the changes. The page looks way sharper than before. It took me almost three days to write, edit, test, and tweak everything to exhaustion, but it's worth it.

There will be something for those who are not a patron yet? Yes. In the next few days, I'll start to release any family-friendly posts older than 60 days to the public, so you guys can get to know more of what I've been doing.
Patrons still have access to any progress 60 days earlier than everyone and get to see NSFW content according to its tier.

Now I'll get back to work on the game. Thank you very much for reading!

number500

Jul 19, 2020
easter.png

Happy easter!
I just released all posts older than 60 days on Patreon for everyone to see! . You should check it out!

From now on, I'll schedule every SFW post to be shown on 60 days early access for patrons and then released publicly. NSFW posts remain exclusive for patrons.

number500

Jul 19, 2020
unknown (17).png
What happened since my last post:
I've caught dengue fever that knocked me out for almost ten days. I recovered relatively fast from the most crippling symptoms and dodged the hemorrhagic complications, but it left my throat destroyed for another week. Now I'm completely healthy again and back on the game!
Also, I released seven Patreon posts older than 60 days for everyone. Enjoy :D

number500

Jul 19, 2020
Some released images from Patreon:

June 15: First serious attempt at drawing a cutscene
June 15.gif

June 26: drawing hair is too difficult for me, so I used Blender to make it easier.
june 26-a (2) (1).gif

June 29: used Patreon's funds to buy a new HDD to use only for this project
june 29.gif

July 4: more cutscenes are incoming (This photo will be replaced by a cockroach when I draw it in the future)
july 4.gif

Hope you like it :D

Reactions: 100junsui

number500

Jul 19, 2020
July 22: I suddenly got a job

This past week I was suddenly drafted to work in a very high-profile hospital as a licensed practical nurse. At first, I got mad at this hospital for only calling me five years after I applied for the job (I had even forgotten of them after all this time), but then I called them the next day, and my jaw dropped when they mentioned the intended wage for my position. It's huge. They are paying almost five times more than my previous hospital.

And what is better: the contract only lasts four months! This short period would be a bad thing if I intended to make a career in this area, but what I want is to develop games. So I accepted this job to save every penny I will earn during this contract and use it to push further the development of this project. Today I officially started my first shift there, and after it, I walked around the buildings to figure out where I could bring my stuff to keep drawing after work to make my time there more efficient. I spotted a gym, a pool, and a resting area in these buildings.

It must have a place where I can plug my tablet and keep drawing.

goes to the window (1).png
August 2: I think I'm getting back on my tracks

I've had only hellish-tier days since I got hired at the hospital. I discovered they hired me that quickly because they are VERY short on staff. Like, dangerously short. I started working on Friday, and three days later (Monday), they were already assigning me 17 psychiatric patients to take care of on my own, and the next day they marked me as able to take 12-hour shifts like the veterans. Usually, you would only trust this much responsibility to someone after a week or two of training, but they don't have the time for that. I asked some coworkers how they got to this point, and they say many colleagues are getting long-term sick leave at the same time to treat various kinds of health problems, and there is no one left to cover for them. Sick leaves became common during Covid-19 outbreaks, but they don't know how to explain this many people taking emergency surgeries and needing to treat non-covid-related problems at the same time now that the virus is under control in our city.

Today I got my first "fully" day off, and after 12 hours of sleep and treating my headaches, I started to work on a mini-action cutscene for an investigative portion of the game. I'm still getting used to my new routine of waking up at 4 a.m. and coming back home at 3 p.m. (when I'm not taking that dreadful 12-hour shift), and I expect to recover my productivity for the project in the next few days, as I feel less and less drained when getting home.

martinvaiajanela (1).gif
August 14: finally. Another full day off.

I used this day to finish this cutscene, and now I'm preparing the next ones. This hospital is draining all my free time! I couldn't get to my computer for five consecutive days. The only thing holding me there is that generous paycheck. I can't wait to get to the end of this contract and get my free time back.

gif-atendendocelular (1).gif
August 27: another day off, another cutscene

Today I managed to finish the lineart of this short cutscene. He's grabbing the cellphone of that passed-out woman to see who is calling.

Now, some rantings about my short-term contract at the hospital.
I completed my first 30 days working there already. Last Friday (19), one of our coworkers from the first floor had a crying crisis because she couldn't keep up with the routine of the ambulatories, so they chose me to replace her there to prevent another sick leave. Yes, of course. Let's toss the rookie into the volcano without any heads up and hope for the best.

I started there on Monday, and in less than 40 minutes, I understood why she was crying. Instead of 17 psychiatric patients to take care of, it's 63 drug addiction patients. They are all scattered through four different zones on the first floor, and none of them have any form of identification, so you can't tell these patients from visitors just by looking. They don't use wristbands or hospital clothing because they all go home at the end of the day. Now, my job is to find these 63 patients in the crowd and discretely take them to a "hidden" place to drug test them. The therapists need these patients tested before their assessments, but at the same time, they don't care to give any help to identify them, so it's all up to me.

The next day, I spent almost five hours extracting one month of the ambulatory raw data of these four zones (day by day, on the slowest PC of all) and tossed everything into a giant spreadsheet. On Wednesday, I spent every free minute available on the job building an Excel tool to crunch some data and track these patients based on their routines from the last 30 days. It still needs some adjustments and to cover some corner cases, but it's working very well. It reduced my workload drastically because now I know with some precision WHEN and WHERE they are roaming in these zones, so I can grab many of them at one go and conduct the drug testings efficiently. I kept using this tool on Thursday, and it worked wonderfully well. I was even pinpointing the patients that ran away from testing on purpose and informed their therapists!

On Friday, I showed these achievements to my boss, and instead of praising me, she voiced some concerns about using 'sensible data' from the database to build such a 'non-standard' tool on Excel. It felt like throwing cold water on my efforts to survive the ambulatory while being efficient and working smart. Now I understand a bit of why people are losing their minds and getting sick leave while working there. The only thing that kept me calm and rational during that conversation was the thought of the four generous paychecks I have yet to receive from all this stress.

Well, she can go to hell. I will make my life easier there the way I can and keep using my spreadsheet, whether they like it or not. Three more months, and I'm out of there.

number500

Jul 19, 2020
Inserting-Back-Door-Key (1).gif
September 19: Finally, another productive day off

It feels so good to sit on my PC with enough energy to pull one more cutscene! Here, Martin is interacting with the back door key (keys not included in this demonstration). Now I have to draw him interacting with the entrance door.

You guys kept supporting me these last months, even though I couldn't keep up fulfilling the perks I promised for each tier, so thank you very much for not giving up on me! I will release this game no matter what!

Now, a bit more rantings about that hospital.
The supervisor casually found out the Excel file I was using to track down every patient and didn't like it. He also casually deleted the file, and casually asked the IT team to remove Microsoft Office from our computers because licensed practical nurses shouldn't be writing Office files or making tools like that.

Well, too bad for him that I remade the entire tracking tool on Google Sheets in just two days, and it's too far from his reach to delete it! I was not joking when I said I would make my life easier there the way I could.

gif-insertingfrontdoorkey (1).gif
September 25: Another cutscene!

This time I managed to use my compensatory time to take two days off in a row. I intended to use these days to draw two or three short cutscenes and speed things up, but Murphy's law had other plans for this weekend. We suffered a power surge that set off my power surge protector. The hardware shop nearby was closed, so I looked for replacement fuses online and found a shop that promised fast deliveries on the same day. I went for it, but since it was such a small package, they had put it at minimum priority and only delivered in the last hour possible! I lost an entire day just on this. Still, I had nothing on them because they delivered it on the same day, as promised.

As soon as it arrived, I replaced the fuse, happily plugged the power surge protector again, and turned on the switch. It instantly blew on my face. I can still smell that explosion. It was the power surge protector all this time. After taking a shower and changing clothes, I went to my cellphone and ordered another power surge protector that arrived today, and then I could finally draw another cutscene! It's Martin interacting with the front door lock. This time, with keys included in this demonstration.

Let's all thank Murphy's law for existing! My heart skipped a beat this weekend and will never be the same! :D

number500

Jul 19, 2020
atendendocelular-p2-gif.gif
October 12: Cutscene martin texting

It took me almost the entire day to make this cutscene work right. This cutscene will be procedurally animated during gameplay and have more reactions based on what you make him write. I hope you like it!

I wish I could write more, but I have a 12-hour shift tomorrow starting at 6 a.m., so I got to sleep fast. My contract at the hospital ends on November 15. Just 34 more days, and I will be free again!

basement-gif.gif finding-front-door-key-gif (1).gif
October 24: Two more cutscenes!

- Martin finds insecticide cans

- Martin finds a key in the wrong place

We are getting closer and closer :D

ezgif-5-9ee1d065e6.gif
November 2: Cutscene inspecting keys

They've updated the last day of my contract at the hospital: it ends on November 17. Two more weeks and I'll be free again!

wrongtimeshower.gif
November 13: Cutscene showering

Four more days!

I can smell the freedom already! :D

IES.jpg
November 19: I'm free again

The contract with that psychiatric hospital has officially ended. I walked out of there with all my pockets refilled. I'm sure this much will keep me afloat for enough time to release this game!

I just started to plan my schedule to work more efficiently and to keep up with all the Patreon perks, including the monthly builds. I can't wait for it! :D

November 24: Still planning my new schedule. Almost there!

I already have a date for the next monthly build: I will send it on November 28, Monday. I plan to include all the cutscenes I made during these last four hellish months.

I've found a new app to help me track all my tasks and started figuring out the best way to use it. I also found a way to visually map all the blank spots I have to cover with artwork inside the game, and I'll implement it right away, so we will have a clearer view of how much we are from completion.

See you guys soon!

November 28: November Build!

- 53 images updated

- It could be WAY more images, but a weird bug in some .psd files made me rework an entire section and revert other stuff. I will fix that in the next update.

- Sent the download link via DM to all Level Three Contributors.

Reactions: Raziels

number500

Jul 19, 2020
superttss.gif
ttk.png
December 3: Task Trackers working again!

I've made good progress rescheduling my routine and putting everything in order! This is so satisfying!
  • I've found a way to wake up consistently every day at 05:50 AM without feeling sleepy, expanding my available time to work on this episode.
  • I also found a checklist management app to keep track of everything I need to do daily.
  • I emptied my entire brain on this checklist app, so I don't need to keep spending energy trying to remember things all the time anymore. The app flawlessly remembers all I need at the right time to keep being productive without distractions.
  • Today I finished uploading all the current 374 images of the project to Trello to help me get things done and feed our Discord server with real-time updates simultaneously.
  • Now, even my computer has a specific schedule for rendering backgrounds while I'm sleeping.
My next step is to start small polls here on Patreon to help me decide how I will tackle my tasks from now on. The first one will come in the next few hours.
Cheers!

TME New feature.gif
December 11: New feature! (I don't know how to call it yet!)

It shows where you can click to interact with the environment. I made it work in a kind of hacky way, so Ren'Py stutters a bit to show the visual effects. The next step is to refactor and optimize this code a bit, so I can make it more versatile and responsive for future updates.
I need a proper name for this feature. I'm calling it an "exclamation mark" in code, but it won't hold much longer, as I could make it show other symbols for different interactions.

notification_cover.gif
December 18: New feature optimized and fully implemented!

notification_icon_d.gif notification_icon_e.gif notification_icon_f.gif
I started to call it "notification_icon" while refactoring it, but I'm unsure if the name will stick. Its purpose is to show where are the interactable regions of the house to make it easier for the player to figure out what Martin can and can't do.

The player clicks on the "test" button to activate it, and after displaying it for enough time, it quickly vanishes to keep the game visually clean. This activation button is temporary, and I will replace it when I figure out the design of the heads-up display for this project.

Some properties:

• Its animation and visual effects are made to make it visually appealing even if you use it many times. It has some subtle details that you only notice if you really pay attention to it, like the trembling after some time floating on the screen, and the random blinking when it's time to glitch away.
  • The notification is shown from closest to farthest based on Martin's current location. Here's a comparison of the same icons, but with martin in different positions:
notification_icon_b.gif
notification_icon_g.gif

• Its size hints about the importance of each place, so you can tell which interactions potentially advance the plot from the ones intended to add more flavor or expand the lore of the game.
notification_icon_a (1).gif

(Though showing these icons bigger for things closer to the camera in contrast with smaller icons for inspections farther away is SO visually appealing! I'm a bit divided about which direction to take. You can comment to help me figure this out.)

notification_icon_c.gif

This notification system and more new backgrounds will be on the next Development Build, scheduled for December 27 to all Level Three Contributors! I hope you like it.
Now, I'll be back to work!

number500

Jul 19, 2020
January 12: Big improvement on backgrounds

nodetreepa (2).gif
I've converted almost all my Photoshop pipeline to DaVinci Fusion nodes, as you can see above. I had to learn a lot of things about color spaces and some DaVinci-specific things to achieve similar results to what I had with Photoshop.

But why did I pass all this trouble if I already had Photoshop doing alright? Because I need to make this project as easy as possible to maintain from the ground up, and this node system provided on DaVinci resolve is the best answer I've found to mass-produce backgrounds with the least effort possible. When I was using photoshop, I needed to manually open a chain of 12 different photoshop files - each one with its own tweaks and mask effects - and update them one by one to apply a change or correction I made in a simple blender pass. I had no trouble doing this when I had one or two backgrounds to tweak, but things became overwhelming too fast when the project took only one more baby step in complexity as I had more backgrounds on queue to handle, so I had to make a jump to this new tool to have a better grip on things.

And boy, oh boy. Not only I managed to achieve the same look I had on photoshop but also gained WAY more control over how the colors and line art behave on screen, and the result is just beautiful.

new_backgrounds_comparison.gif

I've chosen only two backgrounds to make this before and after comparisons, but now that the setup is done, these changes were applied to ALL backgrounds ever made automatically with just a click. While photoshop takes only one rendered frame at a time, these compositor nodes take an entire folder to handle at once! This system will save me multiple weeks of photoshop editing and even open up room for more creativity and cool background variations.

I also learned how to build my own tools inside DaVinci Resolve to take the most out of every rendered scene, and now I can totally change the look and mood of any background by using some simple sliders.

sun_burn_slider.gif
I can now change the intensity of the sun's direct light. Notice how it glows if it burns too hot on the floor

I can also change the temperature of the environment while keeping the colors looking good.

And I can also make these beautiful lighting effects that were a real pain in photoshop with absolutely no effort on DaVinci Resolve.

That's all I have to report until now. Thank you so much for reading!

I'll make another post showing more when I figure out how to compose mirror reflections and glass objects in these scenes. I'm almost nailing it.

All these changes will be present on the next development build on January 30, along with more interface-related features.

January 31: January Development Build Uploaded!

Sending to Level 3 supporters immediately!

This month I overhauled the code to support exciting special effects for the interface. The backgrounds were updated to the rendering style and I reorganized the folder structure to make better use of some Ren'py helper functions. The game is rapidly coming together and we're getting closer to the juiciest parts ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) of the project.

I'll make a detailed post next week describing all the news. Stay tuned!

February 13: The latest addition to the interface

I made one more layer of visual clues to make the game feel more responsive when the player interacts with the environment. I can't hold my excitement. This addition completes what is needed to handle interactions with that woman on the floor.

timeout-min.gif

• You can click on a specific button, and these stencils show up in the environment to make it clear where you can interact with the environment. While it's showing, we have this neat glitchy effect to make it more visually appealing, and it fades away with time to keep the interface clean (but you can click anytime to activate it again :D).

13-02-23 inspect bed-min.gif

• When you click on something, it shows a specific animation to confirm where you clicked and neatly glitches everything else away to keep the screen clean.

selecting item-min.gif

• When you get an item during a cutscene, it automatically disappears from the environment without any extra code.

select quest-min.gif

• Notice how the character sprite lets all the visual elements do their own thing before moving to where you clicked and approaches just in time to touch the stencil while it's still disappearing. It took me a day or two to figure out how to make Ren'py behave the way I wanted. Worth it every second.

• Don't want to activate the glitchy stencils all the time? No worries. All visual clues work independently from each other. Click anywhere in the environment, and the game will tell you if you interacted correctly at any time.

inspection laundryroom-min.gif

• This last feature is a big one. If I save the images with an appropriate file name pattern, I can make them interact with the character sprite without any extra effort. It will be WAY faster to set up the lewd interactions and other complex multi-layer setups.

Overall, these latest additions to the interface paved the way to make this game more engaging and visually pleasing. I can't wait for players to experience this feeling. :D

February 24: Melissa almost ready for drawing

SpriteMartin b.png
Attention all Patreon supporters! It's time for an exciting update on our project progress!

Do you remember her? It's the mysterious woman that comes to see Martin and passes out.

After countless hours of hard work, I've finally completed the necessary code to handle the mysterious woman's interactions with Martin, and I'm now ready to draw her stunning cutscenes! But that's not all - I'm going above and beyond to bring this character to life in the most satisfying way possible.

I started by creating a 3D representation of her clothes using the body mesh we'd been working with since the beginning of the project. I've meticulously improved the rigging and sculpted her body to interact seamlessly with her clothes, pressing her curves against the fabric to make it feel more squishy and lifelike!

Captura de Tela (67).png Captura de Tela (68).png

But I didn't stop there - I recreated all her accessories, including her necklace and flip-flops.
Captura de Tela (70).png Captura de Tela (72).png

And let's not forget about her hair! I was lucky enough to find a beautiful downloadable mesh with the same hairstyle as hers, which saved us several days of work and allowed me to focus on perfecting other aspects of the project.
Captura de Tela (73).png

But the work isn't ending there. My most recent challenge has involved modeling and rigging Melissa's cell phone purse. Working on it has been a painstaking process, as I've had to ensure that the organic leather parts interact seamlessly with metallic elements like the buckle, lock, and lobster clasps. However, the effort will be worth it, as it will be easier to make cutscenes interacting with it.
Captura de Tela (76).png Captura de Tela (76) (1).png

Overall, I'm incredibly excited about the progress made on this project with your help, and I can't wait to share the final result with all of you. Your support on this Patreon page has been invaluable, and I'm grateful for each and every one of you. Stay tuned for more updates - there's so much more to come!

March 10: Real-time file updates

Dear Patrons,

I am excited to announce a new feature on my Discord server that will allow you to track my work in real-time like never before. Starting Sunday, I have added a new bot to the discord server that will report every file change I make on the project as soon as it happens.

This is a great new feature because it will allow you to stay up-to-date with every change I make to the project. You'll be able to see exactly what I'm working on, and you can even ask me on specific changes as they happen.

Not only will this new feature help you stay in the loop, but it will also give you a better idea of how hard I'm working to make this project a success. You'll be able to see just how much time and effort I'm putting into the project, and you'll know that your support is making a real difference.

As always, I appreciate all of your support, and I hope that this new feature will help you feel more connected to my work. If you have any questions or comments about the new bot, feel free to reach out to me on Discord.

Thank you again for your support, and I look forward to sharing even more updates with you in the future.

number500

Jul 19, 2020
Two hours ago: Help shape our visual novel - Fill out our survey now!

Hello everyone!

I've created a quick survey to gather feedback on some aspects of this project and its community. Your feedback will help me make informed decisions about the direction of this project and ensure that I'm creating a story and a future experience that you will love.

The survey only takes a few minutes to complete, but the insights I'll gain from it will be invaluable. I appreciate your honest feedback and look forward to using it to shape the future of this project.

Please take a few minutes to fill out the survey now.
Your input will be greatly appreciated and will create a better experience for everyone!

I look forward to sharing more updates on the project soon!

number500

Jul 19, 2020
May 19: Sprite dump from Discord! Also, the survey is going very well!

I have been posting work-in-progress images on the patrons-only Discord server to receive feedback for some time now, and I decided to dump the prettiest ones to express my gratitude for your participation in my survey! Your answers, especially the written ones, are unbelievably helpful. :D

I'm planning to make a post discussing the preliminary results next week before it becomes too overwhelming to fit into a single post, so wait for it!

Here's the dump!
image (1).png image (2).png image (3).png image (4).png image (5).png image (6).png image (7).png image.png

------------

If YOU haven't participated yet, the survey is still open! and have your answers featured in my next post!

Reactions: jac022 and Cyphrus

number500

Jul 19, 2020
The Martin Experiment Survey: partial survey results are in!

Two weeks ago, I launched a survey to gather your valuable insights and opinions about the game, and I must say, the response has been overwhelming! I'm getting new answers almost daily, and I couldn't be more grateful for your active participation. It's WAY more than I was waiting for.

Now, let's dive into the survey results together, shall we? But before we do, let me extend a heartfelt thank you to all of you who took the time to share your thoughts and ideas. Your feedback is invaluable to The Martin Experiment project, and it reassures me that even after all these months and years of hard work, we still have a community that cares about this project.

I was planning to review and comment on the entire survey in just one post, but I made three versions of the same form, and joining all three in one single thing was WAY more work than I anticipated. So I had to split this review into two parts. In this post, I will comment on all the multiple-choice answers, and in the next one, only the free-text answers.

Now, without further ado, let's take a look at some key takeaways and observations from the survey:

1-How-did-you-find-out-about-The-Martin-Experiment.png
F95zone and Itch.io taking 81 percent of the pie is no surprise since these were the main places where I announced the game. What surprised me was that two people came from Canal Games Do Titio, being one of them the Titio in person. Canal Games Do Titio is a Brazilian YouTube gameplay channel that covers lewd games like Summertime Saga even with the heavy youtube restrictions for this kind of content, and that nailed EVERYTHING about Martin's personality in its analysis. You should check his channel and see his catalog if you understand Portuguese.

2-What-do-you-like-the-most-about-in-visual-novels-in-general.png
When I asked this in the survey, I thought I would see results almost tied between storyline, artwork, and choices. But now, we can note a greater preference for a good storyline and artwork when playing visual novels.

We have four people who voted for Other. Let's see the highlights of what they said:

Person nº1:
What is this curious sequence of emojis? Is this person referring to that kind of activity? Because we will have some of that kind of action in this episode. You can count on it. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Person nº2:
"It was the humor, story, characters and artwork that made me subscribe on the Patreon."
This kind of praise makes me do my best and run the extra mile every day to release this game! I'm glad to hear that, and thank you very much for your continuous support!

3-What-do-you-think-of-the-current-state-of-erotic-visual-novels.png
Most of you guys are optimistic about the current state of erotic visual novels, saying they are getting better every year. I hope The Martin Experiment also lands itself on the good side of this pie.

We have two people who voted for Other. One of them said that the current state of erotic visual novels doesn't have enough updates, that lots of people start projects and then abandon them, and other projects fail to keep promises.

- It's an issue that I see people pointing out since I posted my first serious attempt on F95zone, and I'm making an extra effort not to be this kind of person. I've been working on this game since 2020 without dropping the ball, not even once! I'm slower than other devs because I lack drawing skills, which made me walk the longest path possible to reach the same results as them, but my focus on this task is as sharp as ever! I will complete and release this game no matter what!

4-What-do-you-think-of-the-storyline-of-The-Martin-Experiment---teaser-version.png
I'm glad that most of you guys loved it! I'm more on the side that thinks it could improve a bit more. After releasing, I want to revamp that binoculars section to make it interactive, almost like an exploration minigame, and present other introduction elements using a more dynamic technique I learned along the way.

There were five Other votes, and one of them wrote,
"too short to make a work out of it."
- Compared to other titles, our teaser version looks like a mini sneak peek, so I agree. It's small, but it's honest work.

5-Besides-Comedy,-Psychology,-and-Conspiracy-themes.png
Romance took almost half of the pie! What a good surprise. I can relate to that, and I get where you guys are coming from! I don't want to give any spoilers, but I'm happy with this result because it shows I'm already aiming in the right direction. This game will get you covered just fine.

Update: I had a conversation with Odinwin via DM, and it inspired me to elaborate better on what I'm saying here. Thinking now, I was too cryptic when I tried to hide spoilers.

- There is no room in the plot for romance right away in the first episode because I'm using it to kickstart the world-building, introduce some mysteries about Melissa, and reveal the magnitude of the life-threatening risk Martin is facing during gameplay without even knowing it, I have a lot on hand already! So I plan to start writing the romantic tropes in the second or third episode when the pacing indicates it's okay to explore this aspect without dragging the gameplay or convoluting the script. Romance will be optional, and I have tied the plot in a way that can accommodate relationship variations without requiring any absurd development or coding effort on my side. Players can choose between friendship or romance routes with the girls during episodes, and it won't reduce the amount of erotic, ecchi, and lewd situations that make a good story.

Also, don't worry! Martin is bound to take a lot of advantage of that vulnerability scenario presented in the teaser version because this is a central part of this episode! Just wait for it!

6-What-other-feature-do-you-look-most-for-in-a-visual-novel-in-general.png
Multiple routes and endings are taking half of the pie. Sweet. I've been thinking for years about how to pull this out satisfactorily. It always bugged me how some big games promise "freedom of choice with multiple routes" and delivers only an illusion of it, letting the player choose only small things that the plot will lazily disregard ten minutes later when it enters another story point (Telltale's The Walking Dead, I'm looking at you with disapproval). So I'm up to make a good effort to nail these multiple routes and endings the right way.

7-How-often-do-you-check-the-Discord-server-for-this-visual-novel-project.png
Ouch! Never and Rarely got the most of the pie! Discord has integration with Patreon, lots of resources and functionalities, and currently is the closest way of communication I have with you guys. These numbers are making me think I'm using Discord the wrong way. What should I do about it?

8-What's-preventing-you-from-engaging-with-The-Martin-Experiment's-creator-or-community.png
I know the winner was the Time Constraints slice, but this Social Anxiety one caught my attention harder. I can resonate with that. I'm very insecure about interacting on Discord with you guys because I'm terrified of being left hanging, so I always get anxious when I have to start conversations. I also didn't figure out what kind of things would be OK to post on general chat and what to post for patrons only. I need to practice more on that.

One of the Other responses says,
"I usually just message n500 on Discord for an update and how he is :D "
- I'm always up to a good chat, and I appreciate it very much when you guys reach up to me to see how things are going! It always makes my day!

9-Where-do-you-prefer-to-receive-updates-and-interact-with-the-developer-of-this-project.png
This result confused me for a moment because it looked like a contradiction to the responses on question 7, but then I looked at the individual answers and got it. Those who never check the Discord server voted to receive project updates mostly on F95zone or Itch, while people who visit the Discord server (even rarely) voted to receive updates mostly on Discord. The responses from the Itch users surprised me. Whenever I posted something on Itch, it seemed like nobody saw it, so I stopped interacting there. But it appears that you guys are as active as F95zone users. I'm glad you participated in this survey. Now, thanks to your input, I want to be more active there!

This post ends here! It's too long already! See you in part two!

To everyone who participated in this survey: thank you again for your incredible support and encouragement and for being the backbone of this project! I want to talk to you more times!

P.S. If you haven't had a chance to participate in the survey yet, don't worry! Your voice still matters. The survey will remain open until it gets too big to handle! Also, write your thoughts in the comments below or reach me privately. Your feedback is always welcome and immensely appreciated. I will feature your form responses when I review this survey again!

Reactions: Cyphrus