VN Ren'Py The Martin Experiment - Dev Thread

number500

Jul 19, 2020
qg5fNc.png

Overview:
The Martin experiment is a visual novel I'm developing. It allows the player to have strong feelings for a distressed protagonist called Martin and his less-than-ideal circumstances in life. The player's tasks are to improve Martin's luck around women and life in general, navigate through a series of mind-boggling mysteries and conspiracies surrounding him, and survive the constant life-threatening reality of this world. As a writer, I am drawing my inspiration for storytelling from my academic background in Psychology and hoping to deliver a high-quality narrative and entertaining adult game experience.
(Thanks to Otherguy2012 for helping with this intro)

Developer: DistracFu - - - - -
Censored: No
Version: 0.1
Language: English, Portuguese

Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Planned tags:

Changelog:

Developer Notes:

DOWNLOAD
PC: - -
Android: - -
Browser: -

a (1).png b.png c.png d (1).png e.png h.png i.png j.png

I'm an amateur programmer with a fierce determination to publish a good and enticing game. I've been working on this project for the past three years with an excellent artist, but he had to step out recently, and now I'm alone. I'm still looking for a new 2D artist, but it's hard to find someone with this same passion for developing games that can also keep up with our already set stylistic choices. So I started to learn how to draw to keep this project going myself. I also quit my job to have more time for this effort.

I will try to keep you guys updated here on F95zone, but I'm way more active on my .

Last edited:

bobdickgus

Apr 9, 2020
Miserable situation? well sign me the fuck up!
Oh wait I am not a masochistic loser so I guess I will pass, I dunno what you guys are smoking tbh!

whereislotion

Jul 24, 2018
The Martin Experiment is a visual novel designed to make you develop strong feelings about the protagonist's miserable situation and encourage you to make him grow into a better person. This game relies heavily on the author's academic background in Psychology to develop high-quality narrative and adult entertainment.
Please make sure to go in such a path...personally i can be very happy if you don't make it something like click on option a to go a pointless sex scene and click on b to see a similar scene with different text and view angle.

...and uh, i know in its beginning stage these things are too much to ask but just saying. Is it possible to make it rogue like, you know growing protagonist into a better person by choices and improving his personality in each time we make progress but still 'lose' in with a very bad choice. Starting game again; beginning with an improved and more stabile personality because of our past progresses...also making 'saving game' only possible on exit etc.

Since author have academic background in Psychology; i can be happy to see personal commentaries of author on choices and events. Telling us why what we just did is right or wrong and what he thought while building/devoloping that moment in the game.

number500

Jul 19, 2020
Please make sure to go in such a path...personally i can be very happy if you don't make it something like click on option a to go a pointless sex scene and click on b to see a similar scene with different text and view angle.
Usually, every option will point the player to a different view of what's happening around Martin, and the chosen route will determine how Martin interprets these things around him. I want to enforce this condition in which the player knows way more of what's going on than the protagonist and tries to make the most from it.

but still 'lose' in with a very bad choice. Starting game again;
That bit of restarting the game with past experiences stored is not part of the plan for this project. The player should use the rollback button in the same play session to see how things go.

Since author have academic background in Psychology; i can be happy to see personal commentaries of author on choices and events. Telling us why what we just did is right or wrong and what he thought while building/devoloping that moment in the game.
I'll do my best to share this kind of knowledge in an interesting way while you guys experiment with Martin.

Reactions: whereislotion

number500

Jul 19, 2020
E_IXQU-XIAIiXHt.jpg

Thanks to our patron's support from these three months, we finally gathered enough money to pay for an actual interior designer to build the entire first floor of Martin's house! Her help will relieve a lot of our workload and save MONTHS of research and resource gathering to make a credible house.

We can now focus more on game development and take this project to the next level way faster!

number500

Jul 19, 2020
Our next development build is almost ready. It's our second build for patrons to test. This time, featuring the navigation system of the game. The players will walk freely through the house, interact with some props and influence the order of some story events as they explore the house's first floor. I'm currently hunting bugs and trying to wrap the dialogue to suit most of the storytelling generated by the player.

number500

Jul 19, 2020
Is this game abandoned?
It is more active than ever. I just made a post there and uploaded a new work-in-progress build for level 3 patrons.

I need to learn how to interact more here and on social media in 2022. We are currently trying to imitate some features of the old blender renderer on Blender 3 and studying ways to improve our render pipeline. We want to reproduce some specific aspects of this render in our backgrounds without losing what we achieved until now.
0-1-0.png

0-1-1.png

Reactions: ItzSyther

Otherguy2012

Aug 21, 2021
"To make him grow into a better person"

To whom? Who is the judge of what better is? Society(and our history) or a god of some form?

I just wanted a baseline of where the view of better comes from. Also,to make the author aware that in short they created a game based on thier worldview,judgement of right and wrong,and tossed in all their belief system along the way. Self reflection can be a good thing.

number500

Jul 19, 2020
To whom? Who is the judge of what better is? Society(and our history) or a god of some form?

I just wanted a baseline of where the view of better comes from.
I don't want to give away any spoilers but picture this definition of "better" a bit more on the pragmatic side. Like being better at talking to girls if you want to succeed at hanging out with someone in specific. Or getting better at observations if you want to make the protagonist notice something on someone that could make the plot go a different way. Things like that.

The character development will happen based on some takes of self-responsibility along with whatever the protagonist learns (or gets wrong for comedic purposes) as he progresses through the plot.

Reactions: Otherguy2012

number500

Jul 19, 2020
Cozinha Camera Fixa 19-01-2022.png

What do you guys think of this background? Does it look good on your screen?
It looks fine on my pc, but I'm getting really bloated colors on my cellphone. I don't know if it's a hardware problem or if I messed something while exporting.

Otherguy2012

Aug 21, 2021
" The Martin Experiment is a visual novel designed to make you develop strong feelings about the protagonist's miserable situation and encourage you to make him grow into a better person. This game relies heavily on the author's academic background in Psychology to develop high-quality narrative and adult entertainment. "

"designed to make you" People in general do not like being made to do things,and they like being told that is what is happening even less.
"relies heavily on the author's academic background" Toot toot...now you can add some sense of superiority the author has and it goes on. "to develop high-quality narrative and adult entertainment" IE you can do so BETTER than someone without a horn.

As I said earlier self reflection is a great tool. Words do have meaning beyond being descriptive. They say much about the author,even if the author remains unaware of it.

How I would have said it.
"The Martin experiment is a visual novel I created. It allows the player to develop strong feelings for the MC and his less than ideal situation in life. The player's task will be to improve the MC's situation by learning and improving how the MC views the world and interacts with the other characters around them and being an adult game his "luck" will improve along the way. As a writer I am drawing my inspiration for the story from my background in Psychology and hope to provide the player with a high-quality narrative and entertaining adult game experience."

PS. I have no degree in Psychology and the image above my post looks very peach in color,especially on a large screen.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: number500

number500

Jul 19, 2020
Otherguy2012 I really liked your feedback. It helped me perceive more clearly how tone-deaf I am when communicating in English. I'm grateful for this heads up. And your description sounded way better than mine. Can I use it?
Maybe I should pay a copywriter to take care of this when I release the complete episode on the Play Store.

Otherguy2012

Aug 21, 2021
Otherguy2012 I really liked your feedback. It helped me perceive more clearly how tone-deaf I am when communicating in English. I'm grateful for this heads up. And your description sounded way better than mine. Can I use it?
Maybe I should pay a copywriter to take care of this when I release the complete episode on the Play Store.
Yes you may. I do have some spare time and would happily review any script or game for you. My fear at this point in development is the MC appearing to the player in a very negative way. You tend to use language in an abrasive way. So I think I could add a softer touch to be sure. Sending you my email in a pm.

Shorter and more to the point.
"The Martin experiment is a visual novel I created. It allows the player to develop strong feelings for the MC and his less than ideal situation in life. The player's task will be to improve the MC's situation and the way they interact with the other characters around them. Being an adult game his "luck" will improve along the way. As a writer I am drawing my inspiration for the story from my background in Psychology and hope to provide the player with a high-quality narrative and entertaining adult game experience."

Last edited:
Reactions: number500

CowboyBebop98

Aug 19, 2018
View attachment 1606161

What do you guys think of this background? Does it look good on your screen?
It looks fine on my pc, but I'm getting really bloated colors on my cellphone. I don't know if it's a hardware problem or if I messed something while exporting.
It looks like there's a yellow/orange filter, so unless you're trying to convey that it's during sunset or sunrise you might have a problem.

number500

Jul 19, 2020
It looks like there's a yellow/orange filter, so unless you're trying to convey that it's during sunset or sunrise you might have a problem.
The temperature is very high outside.
I'm worried about the colors being shown differently on different screens. I think the color problem is happening only on my cellphone, but it's weird because it only happens in my rendered images, not in other pictures.

I'm dumping more pictures to test (the colors are slightly different):

Reactions: Reifon