VN Ren'Py The Artist [Act One v0.1.1] [Grotslot]

4.50 star(s) 11 Votes

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
How odd! I've run the builds through Windows Defender and it's not bringing anything malicious up... false positive?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
i think so
wanted just confirm
odd is the first version 0.1 was "clean"

avast :
Screenshot_5.png

i have to say if i check the exe with avast , its fine
but if you start the game the exe gets deleted
must be the renpy/phyton false positives that recently all around

Last edited:

KingyMingy

Oct 28, 2019
My windows defender doesn't find anything odd with either download (full or compressed). Not sure what is going on with you folks...?

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
Well, I have to say that it has been a while since I've been as impressed by an initial release of a VN as I am with this one. It really shows the brushstrokes, so to speak. A lot of love and hard work went into this release. I hope that the level of craft this requires doesn't translate into long delays between updates. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.

Grotslot

Game Developer
Apr 21, 2022
Well, I have to say that it has been a while since I've been as impressed by an initial release of a VN as I am with this one. It really shows the brushstrokes, so to speak. A lot of love and hard work went into this release. I hope that the level of craft this requires doesn't translate into long delays between updates. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.
Thanks for your comment! :)

In terms of development time, this first act didn't take long at all - or at least I didn't think it did considering the work that went into it! After the story idea formed in my head, and I'd perfected the art style (in my mind at least), I set out to find my team on the 10th March.

My team had formed, and we got stuck in straight away with the first release on the 10th June - exactly 3 months after my first post on here! We originally had two artists, myself and another, so that updates would be even quicker. Unfortunately they couldn't commit the time due to IRL reasons and had to leave. I thought I'd tackle the art myself and then look for another artist once the first release had been... released.

I didn't want to be another dev with slow updates. Being new to the scene, needing to establish myself, learn the process, and earn the trust of players is a difficult thing to do!

Having a team of three to handle the main elements of development speeds things up massively. We will expand the team for the next title once The Artist has concluded so we can work on larger scale projects with similiar update intervals and a lot more experience behind us.

TLDR; Act Two will be about three months :BootyTime:

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for your comment! :)

In terms of development time, this first act didn't take long at all - or at least I didn't think it did considering the work that went into it! After the story idea formed in my head, and I'd perfected the art style (in my mind at least), I set out to find my team on the 10th March.

My team had formed, and we got stuck in straight away with the first release on the 10th June - exactly 3 months after my first post on here! We originally had two artists, myself and another, so that updates would be even quicker. Unfortunately they couldn't commit the time due to IRL reasons and had to leave. I thought I'd tackle the art myself and then look for another artist once the first release had been... released.

I didn't want to be another dev with slow updates. Being new to the scene, needing to establish myself, learn the process, and earn the trust of players is a difficult thing to do!

Having a team of three to handle the main elements of development speeds things up massively. We will expand the team for the next title once The Artist has concluded so we can work on larger scale projects with similiar update intervals and a lot more experience behind us.

TLDR; Act Two will be about three months :BootyTime:
That is all good news. I wish you luck holding everything together because this project has a lot of potential. Give the text another once-over, though. There were a few mistakes, mostly typographic errors I think.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
I'm sorry to say I really didn't like this game. The craftsmanship is very high (in terms of art, writing, and even atmosphere), but the subject matter just grates on me. The game is eager to tell me how to feel, but I just can't play along. I hate the MC's "woe is me" attitude, I'm sick of Ava's insufferable whimsy, and I'm infuriated by the implication the whole thing is just a delusion. It's clear this game is catering to tastes almost antithetical to mine, so I'm not sure my feed back would be of much use - at least not on the story front.

That said, I do want to comment on UI, because I thought it was unnecessarily terrible. First and foremost, the text is really hard to read. The font is small and thin, plus despite giving us a gradient slider (which I'm always grateful to see), the text box winds up being mostly translucent! The brush-stroke motif is nice, but it's interfering with the basic function of the text box. There are way too many instances of white text on light backgrounds like this one:
1687926448412.png

Second, the save game screen has a similar problem, except it's even more pronounced.
1687926560032.png
Why bother letting us name the same files when the text is practically unreadable? At the very least make the text black! But I also need to question the layout here. I love the idea of using the canvas as a framing device, but why is it so small? You could get the same effect while zooming in on the canvas. Not only would that make the text less unreadable, it would give you more room for the interface. Maybe you wouldn't need to have the text fields right on top of the pictures, or could show more than just 5 pages worth of saves?

I'm sorry to come of so harsh when it's clear the game is trying to do something different, but I'd respect the effort a lot more if it considered the practical aspects of the design rather than laser-focusing on the style.

That's my advice, anyway. Take it for whatever you feel it's worth, and good luck on your game.

Grotslot

Game Developer
Apr 21, 2022
I'm sorry to say I really didn't like this game. The craftsmanship is very high (in terms of art, writing, and even atmosphere), but the subject matter just grates on me. The game is eager to tell me how to feel, but I just can't play along. I hate the MC's "woe is me" attitude, I'm sick of Ava's insufferable whimsy, and I'm infuriated by the implication the whole thing is just a delusion. It's clear this game is catering to tastes almost antithetical to mine, so I'm not sure my feed back would be of much use - at least not on the story front.

That said, I do want to comment on UI, because I thought it was unnecessarily terrible. First and foremost, the text is really hard to read. The font is small and thin, plus despite giving us a gradient slider (which I'm always grateful to see), the text box winds up being mostly translucent! The brush-stroke motif is nice, but it's interfering with the basic function of the text box. There are way too many instances of white text on light backgrounds like this one:
View attachment 2729576

Second, the save game screen has a similar problem, except it's even more pronounced.
View attachment 2729577
Why bother letting us name the same files when the text is practically unreadable? At the very least make the text black! But I also need to question the layout here. I love the idea of using the canvas as a framing device, but why is it so small? You could get the same effect while zooming in on the canvas. Not only would that make the text less unreadable, it would give you more room for the interface. Maybe you wouldn't need to have the text fields right on top of the pictures, or could show more than just 5 pages worth of saves?

I'm sorry to come of so harsh when it's clear the game is trying to do something different, but I'd respect the effort a lot more if it considered the practical aspects of the design rather than laser-focusing on the style.

That's my advice, anyway. Take it for whatever you feel it's worth, and good luck on your game.
Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments! We know The Artist isn't for everyone, and that is absolutely fine!

Your feedback on the UI is very well received, so thank you for that! :)

Reactions: ename144

TahuBulat

Dec 27, 2018
my my my, what can i say more about this one? i absolutely loves the artstyle you have in here dev, and the story I'm just flabbergasted by that in the ending, can't wait for the updates and maybe after few updates I will giving you a support in the Patreon

yilkin

dl.rpdl.net
Donor
Feb 23, 2023
TheArtist-Act1-0.1.1Steam
rpdl torrents are unaffiliated with F95Zone and the game developer.
Please note that we do not provide support for games.
For torrent-related issues use here, or join us on !
, . Downloading issues? Look here.​

Tomy75

Sep 27, 2018
Very interesting theories were exposed here and I can't wait for the next updates to see who was right or wrong.

Is Ava real?

So who is Ava?

About Edith

Regarding the artwork/filter, I'm really not a fan but that's the developer choice so I respect it, though I remember a game where the player had the choice from the start between the original version and the paintbrush one. I mean, it doesn't cost anything so why not giving the choice and attract more players?

Last edited:

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
I saw this mentioned in another thread, and it really looks like something I might like. So downloading now while I'm trying not to read more of the thread. :)

Good luck, Dev!

Reactions: Kassandara
Jun 16, 2023
Very interesting theories were exposed here and I can't wait for the next updates to see who was right or wrong.

Is Ava real?

So who is Ava?

About Edith
Wow this is actually really compelling! Just played a second time and the observations listed definitely support the listed point of views. If it's true I think it's still going to be a very good game tho a bittersweet maybe. :)

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
I finally got around to playing this, and it was an interesting one.
First off, it's nice to see a DAZ game that doesn't look like so many others.
I may not be totally sold on the style, but it works and fits with the theme and title. In a way the use of the brush style could represent something interpreted by the artist, something that isn't real. Ava could be some sort hallucination, whether brought on by a mental breakdown or some physical problems, such as a brain tumour.

The writing is very good overall, I noticed few mistakes ('dann' instead of damn) and the characters are interesting and believable, whether they are vampires or not.
It'll be fun following this and see where the devs take it.

4.50 star(s) 11 Votes