mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
Aaaand...0.10.0 is released at last!!

I'll be updating the game guide today or tomorrow, but in brief, there are a number of new events in the "corrupt the Church" path now. The way that the corruption events work, each person (currently there are only two) has a hidden "corruption" stat. As that stat increases, they'll be open to more things, and potentially lewd things. You'll need to experiment to find what triggers them to increase their corruption.

In addition, my non-furry artist has finished the ovipositor and tenta-tail scenes, so those are now in the game. I also have a new furry artist, so the looooong delay on getting Chaya's art into the game will soon be over!

In other news...over the past several months I've noticed a dramatic slowdown in saving and loading in the game. This is due to how variables and story passages are maintained. The more content I add, the worse the slowdown will get. I *do* plan on continuing with the "corrupt the Church" content this month, but I'm also planning on taking probably a week or so to refactor the code (again) and try to fix that slowdown.

Note that my slowdown fixes will mean that saves between this version and the next version probably won't be compatible. Sorry, guys!

Hope you enjoy the new release!

PoEbalu

Apr 27, 2017
this looks promesing... will check in a few months when there will be sufficient content to to play.

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
this looks promesing... will check in a few months when there will be sufficient content to to play.
There's actually plenty of content right now. There are currently two widely divergent story paths, each with at least 2-3 hours' worth of content. The majority of the content is on the "follow the mysterious woman" path, but the other path is rapidly catching up.

PoEbalu

Apr 27, 2017
2-3 is a lenght of a demo in my book. i don't bother with games with less than 12h+ of game content
don't see the point of playing every game out there without ability to sink in to it.

Reactions: vt57
May 2, 2017
2-3 is a lenght of a demo in my book. i don't bother with games with less than 12h+ of game content
don't see the point of playing every game out there without ability to sink in to it.
Those are some pretty high standards considering how many games here are made by anywhere from one to three people, working in their spare time
It'd be great if every dev had enough support to be able to devote that much time to their games and still come up with quality stuff that isn't rushed, but that's just not possible

Reactions: lordofevilcr

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Started playing this game last night. One thing that I find (needlessly) frustrating is that the game provides you with no information whatsoever concerning character stats. Not the MC's, nor Felicia's, nor Chaya's. When you click on any of the view stats links all you see is a physical description of the character. No data concerning skill levels in anything. Some decent feedback on how much progress, if any, a character is making when using their skills would be useful, don't you think? Not a big fan of having every skill stat hidden from the player.

Another thing that I noticed, playing a Sorceress, is that the game tells me early on that some of my personal, valuable, items were delivered after I move into the house, but these supposedly important and valuable items do not appear in the list of what the MC owns. Was that just descriptive fluff text with no game significance other than storytelling?

Of more serious concern is that this is the first fantasy game I've ever played where not only does the only spellcasting class not have any sort of healing ability, but the game doesn't even have healing potions available for purchase. Can an Alchemist MC make such things (and why is there no NPC-owned alchemy shop that we can visit)? I presume that it's the dev's intent that health can only be restored by taking naps, and arousal can only be removed by fucking someone.

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
Started playing this game last night. One thing that I find (needlessly) frustrating is that the game provides you with no information whatsoever concerning character stats. Not the MC's, nor Felicia's, nor Chaya's. When you click on any of the view stats links all you see is a physical description of the character. No data concerning skill levels in anything. Some decent feedback on how much progress, if any, a character is making when using their skills would be useful, don't you think? Not a big fan of having every skill stat hidden from the player.

Another thing that I noticed, playing a Sorceress, is that the game tells me early on that some of my personal, valuable, items were delivered after I move into the house, but these supposedly important and valuable items do not appear in the list of what the MC owns. Was that just descriptive fluff text with no game significance other than storytelling?

Of more serious concern is that this is the first fantasy game I've ever played where not only does the only spellcasting class not have any sort of healing ability, but the game doesn't even have healing potions available for purchase. Can an Alchemist MC make such things (and why is there no NPC-owned alchemy shop that we can visit)? I presume that it's the dev's intent that health can only be restored by taking naps, and arousal can only be removed by fucking someone.
I started developing the game without implementing a stat display, and currently MANY of the implemented stats don't even matter in the game. I've been so busy adding new content that I haven't gotten back to basics like this. Of the few stats that do matter, I'm debating HOW to display them in an immersive way. e.g., instead of simply saying that the main player has a dancing skill of 4, describe them as fairly skilled but still somewhat awkward.

As far as the "personal, valuable" sorceress equipment, CURRENTLY that's only fluff. It's my intention that sorceresses eventually have a spell "focus" that can later be upgraded.

Also, currently there's exactly one point in the game where you can get healing potions, and it's during a combat, when you're fighting alongside an NPC who has them. I actually implemented that combat at a very late stage of development, and although it's always been my intention to add healing potions, I haven't gotten around to actually doing that. Same with calming potions, too.

I appreciate feedback like this as it tells me that I need to occasionally step back from just "adding moar content" and focus on the basics from time to time.

Reactions: AWolfe

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
I started developing the game without implementing a stat display, and currently MANY of the implemented stats don't even matter in the game. I've been so busy adding new content that I haven't gotten back to basics like this. Of the few stats that do matter, I'm debating HOW to display them in an immersive way. e.g., instead of simply saying that the main player has a dancing skill of 4, describe them as fairly skilled but still somewhat awkward.
How about doing both. A value (or use a progress bar without numbers, if you prefer that) and a description next to it, which put it into a meaningful context. When my Sorceress wins a combat, what skill(s) are going up and by how much? Is it minuscule and I need to 'practice' like this for weeks, or am I seeing a noticeable improvement? Same when I'm training Felicia. Right now I'm completely in the dark and that really irritates me. So much so that I had to come here and vent.

The WT says that you have to train dancing 5 times to win. But without a stat display a player has no clue how far on whatever scale you've got in the game 5 trainings has put you. Of course, this only really matters if you plan on further developing dancing in the game. Right now, you can keep paying to train dancing (beyond the 5 times needed to win the contests), but I'm guessing it's a waste of time and money.

Of more concern is something like training in dart throwing. How much better do I get each time I train. Are there diminishing returns? How good do I need to be (IOW, how many trainings do I need) to be able to successfully use a tranq dart on a tentacle beast? Presently, players are clueless. Not a good thing.

focus on the basics from time to time.
Sooner, rather than later, please. Your active participation in this thread, your willingness to listen, is a BIG motivator in swaying my decision to become a patron or not. Devs like you deserve to be rewarded.

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
How about doing both. A value (or use a progress bar without numbers, if you prefer that) and a description next to it, which put it into a meaningful context. When my Sorceress wins a combat, what skill(s) are going up and by how much? Is it minuscule and I need to 'practice' like this for weeks, or am I seeing a noticeable improvement? Same when I'm training Felicia. Right now I'm completely in the dark and that really irritates me. So much so that I had to come here and vent.
For sorcery, each time you use a spell, your sorcery skill goes up by 1/4th point. It has a scale of 0-10, and as you raise that stat, you begin to "hit" more often.

As far as training Felicia, most of the training is pretty much useless (which is why I hadn't displayed the sex skill stats). There are only two things that sexual training affects. If you train Felicia in blowjobs at home, you'll eventually be able to get her to give blowjobs at the Town Whore Tavern at night. In general, sex training with Felicia raises her sluttiness stat (with different sex acts raising it different amounts), and how slutty she is corresponds to what she'll do in the Service the Tip bar.

The WT says that you have to train dancing 5 times to win. But without a stat display a player has no clue how far on whatever scale you've got in the game 5 trainings has put you. Of course, this only really matters if you plan on further developing dancing in the game. Right now, you can keep paying to train dancing (beyond the 5 times needed to win the contests), but I'm guessing it's a waste of time and money.
Currently, I'm not planning on doing anything else with dancing.

Of more concern is something like training in dart throwing. How much better do I get each time I train. Are there diminishing returns? How good do I need to be (IOW, how many trainings do I need) to be able to successfully use a tranq dart on a tentacle beast? Presently, players are clueless. Not a good thing.
Dart throwing and combat training with the knife are also both on a scale of 0-10. After 10 trainings, you've maxed out.

Sooner, rather than later, please. Your active participation in this thread, your willingness to listen, is a BIG motivator in swaying my decision to become a patron or not. Devs like you deserve to be rewarded.
I'm not making any promises about WHEN I'll get to displaying stats as it's going to be a bit involved. I'd rather not display a 3.75 in your sorcery skill, for instance, but instead descriptively indicate how good of a sorceress you are. I might consider visually rendering bars too, but I'm also considering just how much screen area displaying all of this is going to take. My UI is currently pretty crappy but I don't want to make it even MORE crappy. :p

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Thanks, much, for the answers. It's helpful. A suggestion: if each application of a skill is increasing level by 0.25, and the scale is 0-10, consider normalizing the scale at 0-40 and have each use/training increase the level by 1. Whole numbers are easier to work with, right? In the HTML game The Sissy Girlfriend Experiment, some of the skills are 0-100, while others are 0-40. They're displayed both as a progress bar and a number.

GammaRay

Nov 5, 2017
i guess i tried the game for 10 versions now .. and it still feels bare bone and empty. After you read the first couple of pages that introduce the world nearly all you get are empty filler pages with nearly empty placeholder messages.

The game is simply boring as you can only do a handful of things and nearly nothing gives you some form of feedback.
*) Is there any reason to train you slave ..
*) is there any reason to have a servant ..
*) why should i search the forest as a sorceress if i can't find something useful. (After more than 1000 searches is stop to waste time in it.)
*) why should i build stuff for my house if it seem to change nothing ..
*) really only a dagger and a dart ?
*) Sorceress combat .. any reason to cast anything else than lighting?
*) Yeah i met a tentacle and can easily kill it or lose to it but.. no real win/lose text .. how boring.
*) Can i "continue" in the story if i continue to win against tentacle ?
tbc.

Also stop sending me to other zones then the ones i search if i don't find anything while searching. I hate to press -> calm lake -> search -> calm lake ->search.. if i want to search the calm lake.

.. such a let down ... i really love tentacle games and would love to fill all NPC to the brim with hot tentacle juice :)

btw: Why is the game running so sluggish? (As the side bar is often build two times per passage.. can it be that you have a looping problem?) Other much complexer twine games run much smoother/faster on my rig.

Reactions: AWolfe

Bakachiki

Feb 25, 2018
I have only encountered tentacle monsters / no images/scenes and I could only talk with the lady next wednesday and no slave training apparently, also most stores have nothing. I had this game two months ago too is there local data or anything I need to delete for this version to make things function or no?

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
Thanks, much, for the answers. It's helpful. A suggestion: if each application of a skill is increasing level by 0.25, and the scale is 0-10, consider normalizing the scale at 0-40 and have each use/training increase the level by 1. Whole numbers are easier to work with, right? In the HTML game The Sissy Girlfriend Experiment, some of the skills are 0-100, while others are 0-40. They're displayed both as a progress bar and a number.
Many of the skills/stats are 0-10. Some of them are uncapped. Some of them advance by 0.25 and others advance by 1 or even more. It's complicated, the way it's currently written.

I still need to think about how to normalize it.

i guess i tried the game for 10 versions now .. and it still feels bare bone and empty. After you read the first couple of pages that introduce the world nearly all you get are empty filler pages with nearly empty placeholder messages.

The game is simply boring as you can only do a handful of things and nearly nothing gives you some form of feedback.
*) Is there any reason to train you slave ..
Yes, but it's not meant to be a training game. The training is only incidental to the storyline, and only serves to get your slave to the point where she'll be okay with lewder sorts of activities.

i*) is there any reason to have a servant ..
Yes. There's at least one event which happens very differently, depending on which servant you pick. I also intend on making more servant-specific events in the future.

i*) why should i search the forest as a sorceress if i can't find something useful. (After more than 1000 searches is stop to waste time in it.)
Yes, there are now several things you can find in the forest, including the secret meeting place for the coven of the Old Gods, a random encounter with bandits, etc.

i*) why should i build stuff for my house if it seem to change nothing ..
It has an effect on how many tentacles are able to attack your house later on in the story, if you follow the mysterious woman at the beginning of the game. Also, planting a garden ties into two events in the game so far, and will tie into more in the future.

i*) really only a dagger and a dart ?
So far I haven't needed to add anything else. I'll add more weapons later.

i*) Sorceress combat .. any reason to cast anything else than lighting?
Yes, depending on what effect you want. The lust spell can be quite effective, for instance. I haven't done a lot to differentiate the rest of the spells yet, though.

i*) Yeah i met a tentacle and can easily kill it or lose to it but.. no real win/lose text .. how boring.
*) Can i "continue" in the story if i continue to win against tentacle ?
Yes. In fact, there's a specific scene that you'll only see the full version of, if you've MOSTLY won against or otherwise avoided submitting to tentacles.

itbc.

Also stop sending me to other zones then the ones i search if i don't find anything while searching. I hate to press -> calm lake -> search -> calm lake ->search.. if i want to search the calm lake.
A few people have mentioned the same thing. I'm still thinking about how best to handle searching.

i.. such a let down ... i really love tentacle games and would love to fill all NPC to the brim with hot tentacle juice :)

btw: Why is the game running so sluggish? (As the side bar is often build two times per passage.. can it be that you have a looping problem?) Other much complexer twine games run much smoother/faster on my rig.
Yes, there are performance issues, and I'm already working to address them for the next release.

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
I have only encountered tentacle monsters / no images/scenes and I could only talk with the lady next wednesday and no slave training apparently, also most stores have nothing. I had this game two months ago too is there local data or anything I need to delete for this version to make things function or no?
So far, there are only a few scenes which have art, including:

* When you meet Sensua, the lewd nun at the Church
* Interacting with Keawe, including when she helps you fight a mass tentacle attack on your house later on in the game
* Some tentacle "gifts" you can receive, if you lose the tentacle attack. Note that these "gifts" are currently bugged, although the art does exist in the game. I'll release a fix soon.

Reactions: Bakachiki

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
Any chance we'll see the 0.10 guide tonight? Been waiting anxiously for it. :whistle:
Unfortunately no. I'm in crunch mode tonight, trying to finish something for work. I'll get it edited and posted at some point tomorrow.

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
I'm getting the distinct impression that Archery is broken. I started a new game as a Hunter, and even with 12+ trainings I never, ever, score a hit on anything I aim at no matter how many shots I fire at the target.

Also, when I try to visit Kaylee on a weekend, as per the 0.9.0 guide, I get a TO-DO screen. No "ask about Sodona" option.

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
I'm getting the distinct impression that Archery is broken. I started a new game as a Hunter, and even with 12+ trainings I never, ever, score a hit on anything I aim at no matter how many shots I fire at the target.

Also, when I try to visit Kaylee on a weekend, as per the 0.9.0 guide, I get a TO-DO screen. No "ask about Sodona" option.
The "ask about Sodona" option is much earlier in her visit sequence. I think it's the second visit. Anyway, what was the last visit you did with Kaylee that actually had content?

As far as archery being broken, I'll look into that. Thanks for the bug report.

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
I don't recall when the last visit with Kaylee that had content was, sorry.

I started yet another game, with a Sorceress (again) this time. My first Sorceress game was on the avoid the succubus path. The Hunter (which I saved to disk and shelved) and this new Sorceress game are on the "follow her" path, so I'll let you know what happens with Kaylee ... after I meet her.

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
This is what my quest log shows immediately after I've been given the "find Keawe" sidequest:
tentacle-slave-01.jpg
Please note that in addition to the script error in red, the heirloom task has already been crossed off even though I have not yet obtained the item (let alone given it to Alora). I can, thankfully, report that it has not affected my ability to visit Lady Reyna the next day and get the "attend ball" subquest. (Oh, and the next day, after having spoken to Reyna, I'm no longer getting the scripting error. So that error is specific to the portion of the code involving first meeting Alora.)

EDIT: after going to the council ball the green (closed) quest reverts back to white (open). Then finally closes when the item is returned to Alora.

3.20 star(s) 6 Votes