Incombat

Apr 27, 2017
Is Starfield really that bad? I haven't played it yet, waiting on the creation kit to drop and giving moders time to work that modding magic, but is the vanilla content that bad?
yep, the only thing Starfield was good at was wasting your time. The rest it did mediocre. Amalgamation of "popular" sci-fi game mechanics sprinkled into decades-old bethesda rpg formula to make perfectly boring whole. It's good fit for people who have too much free time, but don't wanna bother finding actual good games. Like space combat? Everspace 2 was pretty good. Exploring randomly generated worlds? No Man's Sky. Base-building and crafting? Satisfactory or Astroneers. The rest of fps-rpg part - I hear Fallout 4 have amazing conversion and mod packs already.

The fact that Starfield got "Innovation" game award on steam makes me despair at the state of gaming both from industry and player side. This was "another assassins creed" level of innovation at best.

Last edited:

Senigata

Feb 4, 2017
I dunno, I feel like it wouldn't be bad for this game since there is already a successful formula and literally nothing needs to change. You'd just be converting everything over from a 2d point and click game to a full world 3d game. All the game mechanics can stay the same and you could even keep the fast travel options from Ren'py for people that don't want to run around the new 3d world. Could you imagine this game in full 3d with interactive scenes? Shiiiiiit. Now, will we ever get that? Probably not. But DC has made more than enough money to work on that if this game ever got finished. Could probably milk that game into oblivion too. Not that I'm saying DC is milking this one...
I think switching to Unreal should be done with some of those 3d model visual novels whose large amount of video sequences have long since exploded the size of their games way beyond what a visual novel has. We're talking like 20gig here. Might as well make it a 'real game' at that point.

Jan 6, 2021
I think switching to Unreal should be done with some of those 3d model visual novels whose large amount of video sequences have long since exploded the size of their games way beyond what a visual novel has. We're talking like 20gig here. Might as well make it a 'real game' at that point.
unreal

• Haha
Reactions: Senigata

gnub33

Jul 1, 2021
I was wondering where the updates were for this. "Tech" update, huh? And it's just visual novel with sandbox elements, it's not like we are talking about RTS here. With amount of money this makes on patreon, he could've hired whole team of programmers to rebuild it on GODOT with same assets easily.
Well, another title I won't get to see the end of. Makes me appreciate devs with proper production that actually finishes games(like The Architect), so much more.
I've been thinking that way as well. Games are onjecrivey hard to make. The difficulty in producing a vn mostly comes from its animations and branching story. Assuming the animations are done (posing included) and the story is written, not much else should be left. The game has next to no audio. Minigames could be done by a competent coder in a week assuming they had all the art assets. It's not freaking cyberpunk or portal, it's a VN. No reason for it to take this long . Especially when using a commercial game engine.

Is DC just being lazy or a perfectionist? I'd settle for a comic at this point. Hell, I woud be thrilled for a comic.

Senigata

Feb 4, 2017
I've been thinking that way as well. Games are onjecrivey hard to make. The difficulty in producing a vn mostly comes from its animations and branching story. Assuming the animations are done (posing included) and the story is written, not much else should be left. The game has next to no audio. Minigames could be done by a competent coder in a week assuming they had all the art assets. It's not freaking cyberpunk or portal, it's a VN. No reason for it to take this long . Especially when using a commercial game engine.

Is DC just being lazy or a perfectionist? I'd settle for a comic at this point. Hell, I woud be thrilled for a comic.
Well the art needs to be posed too. Art, which should get mentioned, is all being redone for different size format (due to patron request).
The code needs to be future proved so that additions do it won't break the game in two anymore. As it just so happens, the posing and coding is the stuff taking the most time and DC isn't slapping the coder/posers around to work faster. So DC is more lazy in the aspect in that he isn't hovering over everyone's shoulders like your typical company manager would.

Reactions: Snugglepuff
4.20 star(s) 340 Votes