Dessolos

Forum Fanatic
Jul 25, 2017
There doesn't have to be any consensus on everything. I can enjoy SG without agreeing with all Ocean's decisions. I can also enjoy SG while still having criticisms of the game, even if it didn't have grammar issues. I also don't have to like every game based on peer pressure or rating. I can like all the games that subjectively appeal to me. You do the same I'm sure. Everyone has their own list of guilty pleasure games, that they like for nostalgia or some other dumb reason.

A game doesn't have to be critically approved by others for me to enjoy it. All that does is show that I have no opinion about my own tastes. A games review score is made up of individual tastes covering a full spectrum. I am not extra medium and neither are you: so point to these universally panned games without one even moderate review. There is difference in opinion on everything. Other people's tastes don't translate well with what I enjoy on the whole. What a game is rated *might* influence my decision to play it or buy it, but the thing that influences me to play are the previews and the blurb.
I just wanted to say I really liked the way you worded this post it's so true. Your post kind of relates to my experience playing games in general especially when I read reviews. I've played countless of AVN's on this site many see issues with or dislike but I don't. But im able to easily find personal enjoyment easier / the good in them more than most people I feel like. Which is probably why ive only dropped maybe 2 AVN's out of the 96 ive played.

Summers Gone is actually a perfect example of this. If I think critically about the game I can see things I dislike about SG that would normally prevent me considering it a S or A tier AVN on my personal list and would probably land in the middle or so of my list. But then there is small things I enjoy the hell out of in SG like the characters , the character interactions and comedy that makes any issues I have with the game seem like a nitpick or a non issue because of how much I enjoy those small things. As I always say personal enjoyment is more important than the quality of a AVN. After all you can enjoy shit and know it's shit but it's still really enjoyable to the point that it becomes a favorite.

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
I just wanted to say I really liked the way you worded this post it's so true. Your post kind of relates to my experience playing games in general especially when I read reviews. I've played countless of AVN's on this site many see issues with or dislike but I don't. But im able to easily find personal enjoyment easier / the good in them more than most people I feel like. Which is probably why ive only dropped maybe 2 AVN's out of the 96 ive played.

Summers Gone is actually a perfect example of this. If I think critically about the game I can see things I dislike about SG that would normally prevent me considering it a S or A tier AVN on my personal list and would probably land in the middle or so of my list. But then there is small things I enjoy the hell out of in SG like the characters , the character interactions and comedy that makes any issues I have with the game seem like a nitpick or a non issue because of how much I enjoy those small things. As I always say personal enjoyment is more important than the quality of a AVN. After all you can enjoy shit and know it's shit but it's still really enjoyable to the point that it becomes a favorite.
I'm still out of reacts, so :)

We don't play these games to brag about what we've played, we play for personal satisfaction. If people aren't satisfied, they should seek to get their money back :sneaky: I'm personally interested in the story, and I want to find out where it goes. I've pirated over 300 games off this site like a complete sponge, at least half of which I'm yet to play; some games just don't engage me even if other people think they're great, other ones which seem a bit shit I still enjoy while knowing they're just a guilty pleasure, some are underrated... it's all my opinion in action. No one validates my playthroughs.

No one's going to write my epitaph and say, "well, shit, he only played the BEST games, wow what a guy." This is not only a niche enjoyment, it's completely optional, and there's no rewards for playing the 'right' games.

Reactions: Maviarab

Jacowboy

Aug 8, 2022
And you can’t be serious about your last point, more AVNs being made and funded leads automatically to more good avns being made. That’s pretty basic logic.

If nobody gets funding to produce quality avns we would end up with a market of low effort, low quality ai shit, not the other way around.
Yeah that's not how it works... but you know what? nevermind...

minibaer12

Oct 1, 2023
Due to the fact that I haven't been part of this "honorable club" for that long, I logically have a completely different perspective than the "old-timers".

Therefore, I want to limit my conclusion to what we have in front of us at the moment.

Question one: Is this version worth downloading?
Partly, partly. It is and remains the same story. You can download and play them, but you don't have to. What I can say is that it's definitely worth playing through again, because chapters two and three in particular have received some significant changes. Not only have new scenes been added or omitted, but the dialogue has also changed. Some things are now logically clearer, and some things, in the "Ocean style", are blurrier. The renderings now fit seamlessly into the very high overall level of quality, making it a real feast for the eyes and ears. It's a real treat to play through it again (for the nth time).

Question two: Is it worth buying the Steam version or later the Patreon version?
Well, here I say that everyone has to decide for themselves. I don't want to and won't comment on it here. What I can completely understand is that some supporters from days gone by are pretty “angry” (to say the least) with Ocean.

Question three: Should you support Ocean in the future?
A definite YES, BUT, as much as I'm sorry, ONLY NOW! What Ocean threw at our feet with S1, people, is unparalleled! The anticipation for S2 is huge and even more so given the fact that S2 is already in the works.

My conclusion is that SG is a house number that other VNs have to measure themselves against!

John972

Apr 24, 2018
I really don't care what people believe in I told you what I believe in by being rational, providing facts and not predictions(except that reworks could've replaced a half or one third chapter alongside the chapters if you check render counts from ch3 to ch5). People sometimes will omit the fact deliberately but I'm not like that and even if i miss a fact and someone points out I'll agree, there might be some things that we may not be able to agree on but I do agree on season 2 being hope since I've been posting in this thread I said one thing "SG season 2 is our hope" and I'm waiting for it. If things stay as it is than Ocean really has some issue with himself bcz we humans strive to be better and not overwork, it's designed in our brain. And I truly believe Ocean will learn from SG season 1.

Nevertheless, It's not like Ocean is not putting effort, his effort is showing (Dude is putting out roughly 6000 renders in a year, combining WIAB, SG and reworks together) but we don't want repeat of season 1 in season 2. He just needs to do better planning and don't jump the gun on reworks after every chapter release.
Having watched this rework saga unfold since 2021:

1. Ocean began reworking the original game. By original game, I am referring to Chs 1 to 3.5.

Ch 4 was the first full chapter to feature visuals of the quality they are now. The quality of the visuals (and some of the writing) in those early chapters was very poor compared to now.

This rework was a long and drawn out process. He said that process is finished with the release of Season 1 (personally, I'd have no problem if Ocean reworked renders in Chs 3 and 3.5 to bring everything up to that Ch 4 quality. Instead, he drew a line under everything and put a disclaimer with the Steam release explaining why the Ch 3 and 3.5 renders look different to the rest).

2. A Music licensing agency pulled the plug on AVN developers with little warning. Some musicians also barred their work being used with adult content. This was a wake-up call for all AVN developers (many games seen on F95 were affected by the music licensing fiasco) and now we have Patreon doing a similar thing with little warning (witness WIAB getting pulled from Patreon). In terms of SG, loosing music licenses absolutely screwed several existing cinematics in SG, which were designed and synced around specific music tracks. This required reworks of existing material because it was forced via a third-party service provider, NOT because Ocean wanted to do it.

3. Ocean decided to keep his existing music in the game. This caused a rethink of the content in what is now Season 1 because Ocean did not want to risk loosing those existing music licenses (see the first two sentences of 2. above). Again, This required modification or removal of existing material because it was forced via a third-party service provider, NOT because Ocean wanted to do it.

Any argument that Ocean should have just ditched the music is meaningless. SG is designed to be an audio-visual experience and Ocean is sticking to that.

4. Then we get the Steam restrictions. Yes, Ocean made the choice to market the game on Steam and to market it specifically in his home country. This meant Ocean had to make further changes to comply with a third-party service provider. This was made easier because of changes already required to compile with music licensing. Several knowledgeable people in this thread have previously explained the importance of a German Steam release for SG (including Ocean having a major fan base in that country).

Point 1. above is about the rework Ocean wanted to make. Points 2. to 4. above are about the reworks Ocean needed to make because of third-party restrictions.

I told you what I believe in by being rational, providing facts and not predictions
It makes me think that Ocean might've OCD if it wasn't for Steam release. Ocean himself is sabotaging the progression bcz of bad decisions.
And if this pattern continues in Season 2 than RIP SG.
He just needs to do better planning and don't jump the gun on reworks after every chapter release.
You ARE making predictions for what may or may not happen going forward into Season 2 by prescribing all the reasons for the reworks solely to Ocean's alleged OCD. No Developer can easily plan for what happened with 2, 3, and to a lesser extent 4. above.

You prescribe future actions on reworks, despite Ocean declaring that the major three-year game rework is over with the completion of Season 1.

Without all the facts surrounding decisions made by the Developer and without seeing the consequences of these decisions one or two years from now, who the f^^k are we to rush to judgement on the quality of those decisions. I am trying to reserve any judgement or conclusions for the future.

Like I said, let's see where everything is at by this time next year.

Last edited:

AlexFXR

Sep 24, 2023
Than Ocean is(was) working on SG reworks, planning on how to rework, etc. too side by side. So saying it that Ocean is milking or not working hard is bullshit (I know you didn't said it, just addressing to everyone;)).
Why is this nonsense? This is the custom on Patreon; everyone who makes reworks is called milkmaids. People on Patreon have already encountered developers who constantly postpone the release of new chapters due to reworks. Such dishonest developers only took money, but did not develop their games, so they began to be called milkmen. Doesn't remind you of anything? Ocean's plot has been stagnant without development for several years now, so people stop believing him. They have every right to do so.:cry:

Last edited:

parxxxpar

Dec 13, 2022
Whenever I try launching the Mac version, it just says "this application doesn't work"
If i try the compressed version of Mac it gives a python script code error.

Can anyone help? (using apple silicon m chip)

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
Whenever I try launching the Mac version, it just says "this application doesn't work"

With compressed mac versions, I've gotten into the habit of downloading the PC version and porting it via renpy myself. Download the version of renpy that the game uses (right click the mac app, show package contents then look for script-version.txt) and compile your own, then manually replace the game folder with the PC version. Some games the compiled mac version is just screwy, so it's worth getting familiar with compiling it yourself.

Edit: I installed on an M series from steam and it works fine, so it's probably just the archive files having been compressed via PC.

Jacowboy

Aug 8, 2022
Convincing argument and style of discussion but whatever
Well it's just we're getting waaaay off topic and I ain't gonna write a paper about the gaming market just to have it deleted by an overzealous mod.

But also, much like with Bob's replies, I wasn't really talking about that, it was just an off-hand remark to something you said, so yeah, never mind that...

Speaking of convincing arguments and styles of discussions, I've yet to see someone address some of my complaints and arguments instead of just changing track and steering the conversation somewhere else...

Funny, you guys are bitching about people coming in here just to complain, and you even call them trolls and whatnot, saying that they don't even make any arguments and all that... then when someone does, you guys revert to the "yeah well everyone is different and we all like different things and everything is subjective" bullshit... and you know what? Fine... but then, in that case, leave people alone and let them vent, bitch and moan.

Mr_Mister

Jan 9, 2020
Well, if you look over the game, these changes were made so that Patreon and Steam did not get their knickers in a twist, because naked, "minors" , etc.. Problem, they still gleefully fucked Ocean over! Despite the changes made, SG is still not sold everywhere on Steam and Patreon killed his WIAB site for definitely dubious reasons.
MC is the youngest of them with 19 and the rest are in their 20's , so.... what minors are you talking about?
200w.gif
Ocean retouches to summer's gone characters feels like :
4sr9ai.jpg

Krytax123

Dec 29, 2022
Well it's just we're getting waaaay off topic and I ain't gonna write a paper about the gaming market just to have it deleted by an overzealous mod.

But also, much like with Bob's replies, I wasn't really talking about that, it was just an off-hand remark to something you said, so yeah, never mind that...

Speaking of convincing arguments and styles of discussions, I've yet to see someone address some of my complaints and arguments instead of just changing track and steering the conversation somewhere else...

Funny, you guys are bitching about people coming in here just to complain, and you even call them trolls and whatnot, saying that they don't even make any arguments and all that... then when someone does, you guys revert to the "yeah well everyone is different and we all like different things and everything is subjective" bullshit... and you know what? Fine... but then, in that case, leave people alone and let them vent, bitch and moan.
You’re doing the thing you’re accusing me of.

I just wanted to have a discussion with you about the things you stated and at no point considered you a troll (while there are a indeed lot of trolls here).

You’re the one trying to put me in a corner which supposedly magically makes my arguments invalid.

The main-complaints (slow story progression and lewds) get discussed here allllll the fucking time, what are you about?

I saw your very specific complaints about things like the standard renpy ui which I don’t share at all.

I never said they are not valid, how do you expect me to address them? I don’t share you’re views and weighting about that at all but that aren’t the annoying type of rants here anyway.

I mean what do you expect dude?

Isn’t a reaction like: „Ok I see your problems with it, I don’t mind it but tastes are different“ fine? What’s so bad about it?

Or do you really think your arguments are enlightening and objective on a level that everyone reading your stuff should recognize the undeniable truth in your judgement and agree with you about this avn being shit or what?

Nobody called you a troll or dismissed your arguments as entirely not valid so what’s even your problem?

At times I feel like you’re behaving like there would be unlimited amount of flawless avns out there and SG having flaws being a huge exception while they are all flawed imo.

Or your expectations at ocean are somehow just way higher compared to 99% of the other avns devs

Last edited:
Reactions: Penfold Mole

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
True.

As for the current drama or whatever going on, couldn't really care less. I just became kind of burnt out on AVNs in general and now I'm just used to not playing anything. I think I still skulk around on the threads because a part of me wants to go back to the time when I was playing these and it felt like a little escape from reality for a bit. (Or maybe find that next hidden gem that's going to blow up in popularity;))

I hope I can find the time/will to play these again one day but I'm just dealing with my own shit. Feels like I can't justify sitting down for a few hours a week to play when I have a mountain of crap to take care of while every day feels like it just gets worse. It's half-assed I know, but I'm just really stressed out.
I think I have been where you are at.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Cheers!! :coffee:

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018

Funny, you asked a question why Ocean went for 16+ and why the music isn't a valid excuse, I explained what I'd read about why. Seemed pretty much like a direct answer, even if you don't accept it. You wrote that amateurs should be held to a higher standard if they're selling and I directly responded to that. You then continued with whataboutism - why should Ocean get a free pass if other shitty devs don't? And you wrote that you don't believe that a whole bunch of shitty devs add nothing to the market. I replied to those directly.

It seems to me you're pretending you didn't write those things now? Those statements were just throwaway rather than the whole content of your post?

Anyone can read what you've written and the direct replies and make their own connections. I'd dropped it, after you'd said you were being polite, but now you're mentioning me again. Or am I misreading which Bob you're talking about here too?

No one's steering you anywhere, you're changing tack all the time.

I think I have been where you are at.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Cheers!! :coffee:
Edit: I'm out of reacts, but I love this

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
MC is the youngest of them with 19 and the rest are in their 20's , so.... what minors are you talking about?
View attachment 3626598
Ocean retouches to summer's gone characters feels like :
View attachment 3626616
That is exactly what I meant. Ocean aged all characters, because the maniacs at Steam age control have their own view what is a minor or what looks like a minor! So that there is no doubt the characters of SG are adults and college boys/girls, he aged them.

Reactions: Mr_Mister

gropaga

Feb 20, 2023

Download PC version from first page, then
1. Go to SummersGone_Season1_Steam-pc\SummersGone_Season1_Steam.app\Contents\MacOS\ and remove file libsteam_api.dylib
2. Go to SummersGone_Season1_Steam-pc\SummersGone_Season1_Steam.app\Contents\Resources\ and create empty folder with name autorun
3. Move two folders (game and renpy) and two files (SummersGone_Season1_Steam.py and SummersGone_Season1_Steam.sh)
from here:
SummersGone_Season1_Steam-pc\
to here:
SummersGone_Season1_Steam-pc\SummersGone_Season1_Steam.app\Contents\Resources\autorun\

MAC version is Done.
Run the game from here SummersGone_Season1_Steam-pc\SummersGone_Season1_Steam.app\Contents\MacOS\SummersGone_Season1_Steam

Last edited:

Jacowboy

Aug 8, 2022
You then continued with whataboutism
fuckin lol... yeah okay buddy :ROFLMAO:

well good talk everyone... I guess...

Anyways, a more important question: is there a place where one could download previous versions? like say, the version when chapter 4 was released? I see the Chapter 5 beta links are still up, but I'd like a previous version.

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
fuckin lol... yeah okay buddy :ROFLMAO:

well good talk everyone... I guess...

Anyways, a more important question: is there a place where one could download previous versions? like say, the version when chapter 4 was released? I see the Chapter 5 beta links are still up, but I'd like a previous version.
Yep -

There ya go, there's at least one working file host in each post. Didn't look for 3.5 though :sneaky:

Edit: Sorry you said full, well, it took me about 5 min to search and check for working threads and all I cam up with was a bunch of betas, but there are actual posts with the full, I'll let you go on a treasure hunt - I stopped when I saw this pick of Sasha's booty, and that's a true pirate's treasure :)
Edit: the way the quotes don't link the other quotes, I'm an idiot:

The post with the link's I collected

Last edited:
4.40 star(s) 494 Votes