VN Ren'Py Strangers on Paper [Chp.1] [Gloomy Ghost Studio]

5.00 star(s) 35 Votes
Jun 16, 2023
This game and The Artist both had their first releases this year and both had quite an unique look and story. Very sad that both devs are having issues. I hope that new year brings solutions to their problem and we can see these beauties again :)

Vasin

Nov 20, 2018
I've tried this game and I have to say, I really like the writing here.

There's this interesting quality to character interactions where they are in this sweet cinematic spot of being just dramatic enough to leave an impression but not too over the top to break immersion. It's greatly enhanced by amazing colour grading and lighting as well as letterboxing to give the game a more film-like appearance. Even copious amounts of closeups work in favour because of high-quality renders and don't look like a way to cop out of posing wide angle shots.

Really impressive work.

• Red Heart
Reactions: gloomyghost

Drinex

Aug 30, 2023
Just tried this game just for renders, but holy... the writing is what amazed me the most, li's are just such a good and believable characters, played Amy's path and at the end i was just stunlocked by her and the story (little things like that kiss or just playing with her ring in the car and thinking... , they add so much to the story) but i was also sad that ch1 ended so fast, time just flew by while playing .

Would love to see it on Steam the story and art is great so far, gl to the devs with the project, i hope it doesnt get abandoned and we will see the end of this interesting story, amazing work.

Last edited:

jhonatanw

Engaged Member
Jun 21, 2022

Hello everyone!
As clichéd as it sounds, we can hardly believe we made it till the end of this year. It’s been a tumultuous one for sure, but Strangers on Papers and you guys have undoubtedly been some of the best parts of it. As we’ve said time and time again, this is something that we’d been wanting to do for a long time and finding such an amazing crowd that welcomed us with open arms, supported us through thick and thin, and even continues to grow each day has been way more than we could have expected.
So here is the news you have been expecting: the visual novel is back on track. First of all, we’d like to let you know we will be reactivating our Patreon starting January 1st. Pledging is absolutely optional (although you do get a few perks in every tier) but we do gotta admit that, more than ever, every penny towards SOP really counts. The software issues continue to plague us to the point in which Grogu has been teaching me how to help him render the scenes. As you can see from the image below, it’s going great!
E062E7D4-1EED-47E0-9783-FC0ED84C2EA4.png
In all seriousness, we’re doing our best to make this work and will continue to update you on this journey as frequently as we can.
One specific Patreon detail to consider: The highest tier, Childhood Crush, will no longer offer a monthly instax and will be purely for support. This is because I, Gizmo, will be away from my country for the time being and do not have access to the printer I use for those.
All other tiers will go back to receiving their rewards as stated in their descriptions and we hope they make the waiting better for y’all.
Personal note from Grogu (Artist and Programmer):
I feel like I've become unfamiliar with writing these devlogs, yet at the same time, there are so many things I'd like to discuss, but I'll try to keep it short.
Speaking of progress, at the end of the year, there's always introspection, but beyond that, I only have gratitude. To everyone who in some way supported us and continues to do so. To everyone who mentions SOP at every opportunity they get, because after all, that's what matters most, and we're pleased to read that SOP is still regarded as a favorite release from this year to some.
I also want to thank Gizmo. When I started looking for a writer to work with, I wanted the best, and in this sphere, that's challenging. I was tired of playing VNs that, when I read them, made me cringe or when the stories didn't make sense at all. I wanted to create something I could be proud of playing and be interested in the story and characters, and thanks to Gizmo, I found it. Another thing I'm grateful for is the freedom I have to give my opinion about the story and make changes, like Becca's hair or creating characters the way I interpret when reading. It's always interesting to see how, beyond everything, we share the same vision of where we want to go.
Regarding SOP, we have a good pace of renders/coding, and I'm happy with the progress. We had approximately just over 1000 renders for CH1, and for CH2, we'll probably surpass 1500. We still have plans to release Chapter 2 along with the Steam release, but we're reviewing the situation.
Happy New Year!
Personal note from Gizmo (writer and director):
Damn you, Grogu, for always making me blush. I’m sure through his renders you guys can imagine just what a privilege it is to get to work with someone as talented as he is, not to mention how in sync we always are about everything we envision.
This year, I thought the most challenging things I’d face were moving and a cockroach infestation, turns out I’m now separating from my lifelong partner and I won’t bore you with the depressing details, but I think it’s worth mentioning if only to remind you that there’s always a lot going on behind the scenes that can affect the progress of a passion project such as this, not to mention that headache of a graphics card that failed us when we needed it most.
I’ve been creating stories since before I could hold a pen, and SOP has given me the opportunity to put some of that really out there and then to find other people who could resonate with and that means more to me than what this amateur writer can tell you. Thank you, really thank you all as always and I’m childishly impatient to share chapter 2 with you.
Happy Holidays folks!

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
Strangers on Paper - DevLog #25

Hi everyone, this is our first (ish) dev log in 2024 and the first one we’re trying in video form so, in case you’re new here, hi! I’m Gizmo. I am the writer and director of a game called Strangers on Paper and I work with Grogu, who’s an amazing artist, and we use these dev logs as journals where we talk about the progress we’ve made, things we learn along the way and… yeah.

So, today we’re talking about the writing side of things. First of all, you know how we’d taken a break because Grogu’s graphics card had basically exploded? Well, about three weeks ago my laptop decided to stop working out of the blue. Luckily I keep all my Strangers on Paper files online, but since then I’ve been writing everything from my phone, including this dev log and I’ll have to borrow a laptop to turn this into a video. Thank you, Google docs, for being a thing.

Now, this month I took my first actual holiday in over six years and figured I could use one (or some) of those days to edit bits of Chapter 2 since I’ve been having some ideas lately of things I’d been wanting to change (in that sense, I’m kinda happy we hadn’t rendered those scenes yet, because they involve some changes in the environment).

By day two, I’d suddenly spent 9 hours writing with small breaks, I just couldn’t bring myself to stop until dinner time. It’s always crazy to think about all the time that goes into work for a chapter that will be played in such a short amount of time, as it happens with most media we consume.

Another thing I’ve appreciated about this break we were sort of forced to take was the fact that I’ve come back to these pages with fresh eyes - the best kind of eyes for editing - and I’m loving it. Our priority has always been making a game WE love and, damn, did I enjoy those nine hours.

There’s still quite a lot of editing left to be done, but Chapter 2 is looking like it’ll go over the 30,000 words mark (for reference, Chapter 1 was a bit over 22,000). And then there's Chapter 3, which continues to go back and forth from being the final chapter to being split into two in my notes and drafts, but that’s a future me problem.

Anyway, our next dev log will include some updates on the visual side, hopefully some good news since we’ve been finding some ways of working around our setbacks.

Been playing quite a lot of card games lately so I’ll leave you with one for yourselves: Give us ONE word that ties these images together. We’ll pick our favorite through all platforms and let you know by the next update.

Before I leave, let me quickly remind you that you can !

Thank you as always and see you soon!

jhonatanw

Engaged Member
Jun 21, 2022

There’s a section on our discord server called “grogus dump” where I… dump stuff sporadically. I figured some of you may have missed those if you don’t happen to be on discord, so here’s a little dump for you.

Golden Trump

Jul 8, 2021
So basically CH2 will arrive around Summer 2024 then CH3 around Christmas 2024 or incase things go wrong then Summer 2025.

jhonatanw

Engaged Member
Jun 21, 2022

We just saw the results from the and it is so heartwarming to see so many of you regard our AVN so highly. Thank you for your support and encouragement, it means a lot to us, and thank you for putting the contest together!

5.00 star(s) 35 Votes