4.60 star(s) 41 Votes

ogr blanc

May 15, 2019
You seem to be overlooking the part where I said "too hefty."
I'm not just throwing out an opinion here, I'm saying what I've seen first-hand.
I've had some insider knowledge on 4 games to varying degrees, and one of them saw a drop of several hundred dollars in their Patreon monthly income when their mobile release got too much for older mobile devices to handle. There were a few mobile users that claimed the game still worked fine and it had playtested okay but there was a loud number of players saying the game wouldn't install or would blackscreen on launch etc. a compressed version worked but it was a temp fix so changes had to be made going forward.
Several hundred dollars might not seem a lot when you compare it to some of the big games but it was probably close to a quarter of everything that game was making at the time.
I've seen games that started out with excessive amounts of animation right down to idle animations on regular conversation parts that have had to retroactively go back and swap them all out with stills just because the android version can't handle them.
I've also seen devs try to handle this by making a separate lighter weight version for mobile with more compressed images and foregoing the animations but by then they're basically working on two games at once and it slows them down. More complaints. So the standard solution seems to be to just streamline, and if you want a mobile release the desktop version will suffer from the same restrictions for the dev's and the release schedule's convenience.

Again, I'm not saying devs will completely ignore or avoid animations for the sake of their mobile player base because, as I said, the tag is too attractive to ditch them completely. I'm saying that devs can't be as creative with their use of animations as maybe they want to be if they want to sell to the largest number of people possible. Animations are still commonplace on major event pieces, namely the actual sex in an ero game, but too many and they cause problems so they get used more sparingly.

I'm not arguing with you about whether RenPy games can have animations or use them well etc. I'm talking from a purely business-minded standpoint. There are plenty of RenPy games that are desktop only (with attempted fan ports maybe) that go ham with animations. But anyone trying to make this their job is gonna want to take even the vocal minorities seriously if they want to get anywhere.

It's worth noting that 2D toon aesthetic titles can get away with more by the way. Fewer colours and lower resolutions are required to allow the visuals to shine etc. so while I'm pointing out animations can be a problem I'm thinking purely about titles that try to push their visuals as many Daz-using devs do. Games like Summertime Saga could probably push the number of animations a heck of a lot further before causing anyone problems.

I don't want to talk all this shop though. I want more LocJaw images :HideThePain:

but here's the thing, do you really, genuinely belive unity would be lighter on an older mobile device than ren'py? not questioning you, but genuine curiosity, specially with how heavy unity games are becoming, i would imagine that, unless we are talking some really heavy spaghetti here, unity would be more problematic to run on those than ren'py.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
but here's the thing, do you really, genuinely belive unity would be lighter on an older mobile device than ren'py? not questioning you, but genuine curiosity, specially with how heavy unity games are becoming, i would imagine that, unless we are talking some really heavy spaghetti here, unity would be more problematic to run on those than ren'py.
No. But I also wouldn't expect most people to expect Android ports of Unity games. Unity games absolutely are a thing on Android, you can't avoid them in the app stores, but when it comes to AVNs nobody expects Android ports for whatever reason, and you rarely see them. Choosing your engine can sometimes be about setting expectations. I'm talking purely about heavy RenPy games and the expectations players have of RenPy games. What you can expect from players in regards to AVNs built in Unity is that they'd cry out for a RenPy version before they start crying for Android ports. We've already seen someone in this very thread recently express their preference for AVNs to be in RenPy over Unity largely down to their expectations.
I'm not saying that makes all the sense but it appears to be a largely shared sentiment.

On the topic of TheArchitect's games, where this conversation has its roots, his games aren't typically straight VNs. Goons Raider Her is a sidescroller with point-and-click puzzles if I remember correctly and Lust is Stranger is a 3D game. As they are, they're better suited for Unity simply because more of the foundations are there for the style of gameplay those games offer. If they were to be adapted into VNs they'd likely work fine in RenPy with pre-rendered images and animations but they probably wouldn't have a lot of the same gameplay mechanics.
None of TheArchitect's games have Android ports that I'm aware of either.

The choice of an engine can set expectations, making complaints about some things more common in one engine than complaints about the same thing in another engine. It could be seen as painting yourself as a dev into a corner by cutting off a portion of your possible player base straight out of the gate if you choose to go with Unity and don't cater to the mobile market, but if you're aware of common complaints and are looking to avoid having to deal with them it might be worth the trade-off.

It's worth noting too that most people developing in Unity (and Unreal) shouldn't be using prerendered images and animations as often as VNs in RenPy would. It's much less heavy to have 3D models and in-game animations than a shit load of prerendered stuff. Especially if things are planned out well with procedural materials or good reuse of assets etc.
Anyone developing in Unity or Unreal who is just making a flat pre-rendered VN really isn't doing anyone any favours as far as being optimal goes. Especially when you consider that devs often flex that their newest update release has X amount of new renders that usually exceeds a hundred.

Reactions: ogr blanc

ogr blanc

May 15, 2019
No. But I also wouldn't expect most people to expect Android ports of Unity games. Unity games absolutely are a thing on Android, you can't avoid them in the app stores, but when it comes to AVNs nobody expects Android ports for whatever reason, and you rarely see them. Choosing your engine can sometimes be about setting expectations. I'm talking purely about heavy RenPy games and the expectations players have of RenPy games. What you can expect from players in regards to AVNs built in Unity is that they'd cry out for a RenPy version before they start crying for Android ports. We've already seen someone in this very thread recently express their preference for AVNs to be in RenPy over Unity largely down to their expectations.
I'm not saying that makes all the sense but it appears to be a largely shared sentiment.

On the topic of TheArchitect's games, where this conversation has its roots, his games aren't typically straight VNs. Goons Raider Her is a sidescroller with point-and-click puzzles if I remember correctly and Lust is Stranger is a 3D game. As they are, they're better suited for Unity simply because more of the foundations are there for the style of gameplay those games offer. If they were to be adapted into VNs they'd likely work fine in RenPy with pre-rendered images and animations but they probably wouldn't have a lot of the same gameplay mechanics.
None of TheArchitect's games have Android ports that I'm aware of either.

The choice of an engine can set expectations, making complaints about some things more common in one engine than complaints about the same thing in another engine. It could be seen as painting yourself as a dev into a corner by cutting off a portion of your possible player base straight out of the gate if you choose to go with Unity and don't cater to the mobile market, but if you're aware of common complaints and are looking to avoid having to deal with them it might be worth the trade-off.

It's worth noting too that most people developing in Unity (and Unreal) shouldn't be using prerendered images and animations as often as VNs in RenPy would. It's much less heavy to have 3D models and in-game animations than a shit load of prerendered stuff. Especially if things are planned out well with procedural materials or good reuse of assets etc.
Anyone developing in Unity or Unreal who is just making a flat pre-rendered VN really isn't doing anyone any favours as far as being optimal goes. Especially when you consider that devs often flex that their newest update release has X amount of new renders that usually exceeds a hundred.

im on the same mind, i will say, though, that i dont think its that bad of an idea to make a 2d game using unity, but, that's me talking about more active gameplay, not straight VNs, or worse, KNs.

i did a quick search around but i dont think i found a more begginer friendly engine for 2d games for something like puzzles than unity. i know construct 2 and a few others exists, but overall, unity is just the go to when it comes to games using those styles.
specially one with a more "free dev" entry point when it comes to the user agreement as well.

Mograx

Oct 16, 2019
I assume LocJaw probably died during the pandemic... cause he said he was going to release the update in like a week then completely disappeared.
He's done this consistently and with every game he's worked on though. Occam's Razor says it's a continuation of that trend, and not dying from a virus with a 99.8% survival rate.

Though he could be old and obese I suppose which would substantially increase the chance of your claim.

aesir150

Jul 5, 2017
Wasn't there mention that LocJaw has pre existing illness somewhere in this thread? Where he disappeared for a few months due to an illness then came back again?

Feel like he might of just died to that rather than Covid itself.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Magazif

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
[...] he said he was going to release the update in like a week then completely disappeared.
That's kind of a trend among devs that ghost.
Polyrotix did something similar and one of his last Patreon posts says "Majority of the scenes are finished and just needs editing." ...and yeah, his Patreon is still up and raking a little over 30 bucks a month somehow.
My tinfoil hat suspects keeping a Patreon somewhat alive is why most will say the next update is close before they vanish.
I'm not accusing anyone or anything, I'm certainly not accusing LocJaw, because I don't know these people. I just think some definitely do it to get a little more milk out of a dying cow.

ImperatorX

Jul 31, 2022
It's really ashame to abandon a project that so many people love and seem interested in... why would he not make a big name for himself and finish it.
really a pity. this game seemed so promising.

we can only hope re returns to it someday. and has a change of heart.

exazubi

Dec 12, 2020
It's really ashame to abandon a project that so many people love and seem interested in... why would he not make a big name for himself and finish it.
really a pity. this game seemed so promising.

we can only hope re returns to it someday. and has a change of heart.
Don't forget that the game is actually a complete rip of life is strange. Using these figures is actually illegal. Unfortunately it's possible that he got in trouble because of this and we will never hear from this project again.

It's a shame, I love the game too. LocJaw is the uncrowned king of oral sex. This little demo contains by far the best cunnilingus scene i have ever seen in an adult game. I just can't do without this demo just because of this one super good animation. Pretty much all developers can learn a lot from that, especially those who make lesbian scenes. These are mostly not animated at all.

IanBoheme

Jan 27, 2021
Don't suppose anyone could take up the mantle and finish it? even if theres an artist style change I'd likely be ok with that just because I really want to see at least some sort of conclusion to what was created so far.

Reactions: Magazif

Anonymous Rogue

Jun 6, 2022
Don't forget that the game is actually a complete rip of life is strange. Using these figures is actually illegal. Unfortunately it's possible that he got in trouble because of this and we will never hear from this project again.

It's a shame, I love the game too. LocJaw is the uncrowned king of oral sex. This little demo contains by far the best cunnilingus scene i have ever seen in an adult game. I just can't do without this demo just because of this one super good animation. Pretty much all developers can learn a lot from that, especially those who make lesbian scenes. These are mostly not animated at all.
something tells me you don't understand what parody is. it's a parody of life is strange not a ripoff and it's not illegal to use these models as long as he's not selling the product and he's, he's receiving donations for the product. Legal loopholes

4.60 star(s) 41 Votes