• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.
4.60 star(s) 41 Votes

felixcrows

Apr 3, 2018
Lust is Stranger would be my guess. I haven't played it myself but it looked promising based on screenshots and the dev's track record of actually finishing stuff. I haven't been in the thread for a while, so fingers crossed it is actually still going and not also abandoned lol.
yeah,just encountered out of nowhere lol. it's still going but there's no actual content/action i guess even tho it's been more than a year.so not sure if it is any good :HideThePain:

zedascove

Jul 13, 2018
yeah,just encountered out of nowhere lol. it's still going but there's no actual content/action i guess even tho it's been more than a year.so not sure if it is any good :HideThePain:
There's plenty of content already in that game. Dev releases new updates on a monthly basis(last one was 3 days ago) and each one of them has atleast one sex scene.

felixcrows

Apr 3, 2018
There's plenty of content already in that game. Dev releases new updates on a monthly basis(last one was 3 days ago) and each one of them has atleast one sex scene.
Then it's missing tags. there's no anal or vaginal sex tags that's why i said that.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
I loathe Unity and Unreal. But, that's not an argument to have. For me, there is no loss.
Why though? :WaitWhat: No arguments, I'm just curious. The original Life is Strange is made in Unreal iirc. Is your preference based just around solo/small team indies who maybe don't use tools as efficiently as more professional studios or something? I mean, I tend to really dislike when I fire up a game built in a chunky engine and it turns out to be a VN that could have been handled in a much lighter way so I'd get that, but that Lust is Stranger dude makes actual 3D games, right?
It's just strange to me to hear of people writing off stuff based on the tools rather than the actual content or abilities of creators.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
Why though? :WaitWhat: No arguments, I'm just curious. The original Life is Strange is made in Unreal iirc. Is your preference based just around solo/small team indies who maybe don't use tools as efficiently as more professional studios or something? I mean, I tend to really dislike when I fire up a game built in a chunky engine and it turns out to be a VN that could have been handled in a much lighter way so I'd get that, but that Lust is Stranger dude makes actual 3D games, right?
It's just strange to me to hear of people writing off stuff based on the tools rather than the actual content or abilities of creators.
It really just comes down to being a personal preference when it comes to gaming. The original LiS was done perfectly in my opinion, the others, not so much. I also think that AVNs are better in Ren'py. I don't want all the bells and whistles that Unity and Unreal offers for them. As I'm just a casual AVN gamer these days.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
It really just comes down to being a personal preference when it comes to gaming. The original LiS was done perfectly in my opinion, the others, not so much. I also think that AVNs are better in Ren'py. I don't want all the bells and whistles that Unity and Unreal offers for them. As I'm just a casual AVN gamer these days.
Yeah, that's cool. If you're specifically looking for VNs then Unity and Unreal really aren't the way to go. So I understand your preference.

I don't think I've ever played a VN built in Unreal but I've tried a few in Unity. I think I've only played one VN built in Unity that I thought was actually good (though it probably could have been done in RenPy) and that's Man of the House, all the other VNs that I've tried have felt like a dev trying to run before they can crawl and I think they all ended up either starting over in RenPy or just getting abandoned.
I love seeing attempts at full 3D stuff though, I'm hoping one day the formula for them in the ero-indie space gets cracked. House Party made a mainstream impression but I didn't like how easy it was to lock yourself out of paths.
But yeah, I'm not ready to write off those engines yet because I'm optimistic that good things are on the horizon.

ogr blanc

May 15, 2019
Yeah, that's cool. If you're specifically looking for VNs then Unity and Unreal really aren't the way to go. So I understand your preference.

I don't think I've ever played a VN built in Unreal but I've tried a few in Unity. I think I've only played one VN built in Unity that I thought was actually good (though it probably could have been done in RenPy) and that's Man of the House, all the other VNs that I've tried have felt like a dev trying to run before they can crawl and I think they all ended up either starting over in RenPy or just getting abandoned.
I love seeing attempts at full 3D stuff though, I'm hoping one day the formula for them in the ero-indie space gets cracked. House Party made a mainstream impression but I didn't like how easy it was to lock yourself out of paths.
But yeah, I'm not ready to write off those engines yet because I'm optimistic that good things are on the horizon.
my biggest problem with the unity vn is that, its basically a ren'py game made in unity most of the time. they almost never make use of what the engine can deliver.

there are exceptions, of course, but aside from very few, unity brings more problems than solutions.

drfeelgoodsw

Sep 12, 2020
my biggest problem with the unity vn is that, its basically a ren'py game made in unity most of the time. they almost never make use of what the engine can deliver.

there are exceptions, of course, but aside from very few, unity brings more problems than solutions.
I'd say that Paradise Lust would be one of those exceptions, as I can't see how they'd be able to make the same game in Ren'Py even though it's all 2D graphics. And, while I haven't played Lust is Stranger yet, all of TheArchitect's games would be basically impossible to reproduce in Ren'Py as well, but they aren't traditional VNs anyway.

aesir150

Jul 5, 2017
Unity is good for 3D models and animations, but has terrible dialogue controls and save game mechanics.

Renpy has good dialogue and save game mechanics but is terrible animations and 3D models.

That is the thing that infuriates me about VN creators, if you are going to make 2D game that is dialogue heavy with basically no animations and 3D models then make it in Renpy. If you are making a animation heavy game and using 3D models then make it in Unity.

The original Rick and Morty game Away Home or whatever it's called is a perfect example of a game that should of been made in Renpy instead of Unity. And yes I know there is a Renpy port of the game. Then there are some games that have lots of animations or use 3D models and I no have idea why they decided to use Renpy instead of Unity. If you got 3D models then just import them into Unity so you can actually animate models instead of having to create basically stop motion animation in Renpy. This game and Offcuts probably should of been made in Unity rather than Renpy.

Last edited:

ogr blanc

May 15, 2019
I'd say that Paradise Lust would be one of those exceptions, as I can't see how they'd be able to make the same game in Ren'Py even though it's all 2D graphics. And, while I haven't played Lust is Stranger yet, all of TheArchitect's games would be basically impossible to reproduce in Ren'Py as well, but they aren't traditional VNs anyway.
Dunno about the animations, i think ren'py can do alot, of course, unity is far better at doing those. however, i do think there are ren'py animations that work very well, like the case for summertime saga(the moded version) and rogue like. RL in particular i consider to have the best "gamefied" sex scenes in here.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
Dunno about the animations, i think ren'py can do alot, of course, unity is far better at doing those. however, i do think there are ren'py animations that work very well, like the case for summertime saga(the moded version) and rogue like. RL in particular i consider to have the best "gamefied" sex scenes in here.
The problem with animations in RenPy is that they can be very heavy and really inflate the game's size. Since mobile players of RenPy games are common and vocal, it can alienate a large portion of a dev's customers if their mobile ports (official or otherwise) are too hefty and then present a lot of complaints.

Smart devs will avoid too many animations in a RenPy project entirely because they expect the mobile market to come into play and a separate build with extra compression on images etc. just raises the potential for more work and slower releases. Best to keep animations reserved for big moments or as low frame loops and frame swaps. They likely won't avoid animations completely because the tag is a selling point.

-

Back on the topic of this particular game though. Does anyone know if LocJaw is making any other content anywhere?
I can understand if this project was too much work for one person but I think he'd still have done well just making still renders and animated loops in this style.
I can see he hasn't updated Patreon in almost a year and a half and one of his last posts was about the next release of SN coming soon™ and that's probably hurt his rep under this name, but does anyone suspect any other artists of being a pseudonym or whatever. His Twitter is the exact same kind of dead.

I just really like the handpainted stylized look here and would like to see more. It's somehow evocative of the messy textures in the original game while elevating the aesthetic to being more finished-looking and intentional in a way that's subjectively better than the actual LiS remasters and sequels did it.

ogr blanc

May 15, 2019
The problem with animations in RenPy is that they can be very heavy and really inflate the game's size. Since mobile players of RenPy games are common and vocal, it can alienate a large portion of a dev's customers if their mobile ports (official or otherwise) are too hefty and then present a lot of complaints.

Smart devs will avoid too many animations in a RenPy project entirely because they expect the mobile market to come into play and a separate build with extra compression on images etc. just raises the potential for more work and slower releases. Best to keep animations reserved for big moments or as low frame loops and frame swaps. They likely won't avoid animations completely because the tag is a selling point.

-

Back on the topic of this particular game though. Does anyone know if LocJaw is making any other content anywhere?
I can understand if this project was too much work for one person but I think he'd still have done well just making still renders and animated loops in this style.
I can see he hasn't updated Patreon in almost a year and a half and one of his last posts was about the next release of SN coming soon™ and that's probably hurt his rep under this name, but does anyone suspect any other artists of being a pseudonym or whatever. His Twitter is the exact same kind of dead.

I just really like the handpainted stylized look here and would like to see more. It's somehow evocative of the messy textures in the original game while elevating the aesthetic to being more finished-looking and intentional in a way that's subjectively better than the actual LiS remasters and sequels did it.
" it can alienate a large portion of a dev's customers" but it doesnt though. look at games that have mobile version and you will see that while there are people complaining, they are still successfull enough for those vocal minorities to just be full of air.

hell, if you look at many games that get complained alot, majority are still more successfull than the "complaining" would make you belive.

now that's not me defending bad behaviour from either side. im just making a point that, because someone says he wont support a game anymore, doesnt actually mean they wont support the game anymore.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
" it can alienate a large portion of a dev's customers" but it doesnt though. look at games that have mobile version and you will see that while there are people complaining, they are still successfull enough for those vocal minorities to just be full of air.

hell, if you look at many games that get complained alot, majority are still more successfull than the "complaining" would make you belive.

now that's not me defending bad behaviour from either side. im just making a point that, because someone says he wont support a game anymore, doesnt actually mean they wont support the game anymore.
You seem to be overlooking the part where I said "too hefty."
I'm not just throwing out an opinion here, I'm saying what I've seen first-hand.
I've had some insider knowledge on 4 games to varying degrees, and one of them saw a drop of several hundred dollars in their Patreon monthly income when their mobile release got too much for older mobile devices to handle. There were a few mobile users that claimed the game still worked fine and it had playtested okay but there was a loud number of players saying the game wouldn't install or would blackscreen on launch etc. a compressed version worked but it was a temp fix so changes had to be made going forward.
Several hundred dollars might not seem a lot when you compare it to some of the big games but it was probably close to a quarter of everything that game was making at the time.
I've seen games that started out with excessive amounts of animation right down to idle animations on regular conversation parts that have had to retroactively go back and swap them all out with stills just because the android version can't handle them.
I've also seen devs try to handle this by making a separate lighter weight version for mobile with more compressed images and foregoing the animations but by then they're basically working on two games at once and it slows them down. More complaints. So the standard solution seems to be to just streamline, and if you want a mobile release the desktop version will suffer from the same restrictions for the dev's and the release schedule's convenience.

Again, I'm not saying devs will completely ignore or avoid animations for the sake of their mobile player base because, as I said, the tag is too attractive to ditch them completely. I'm saying that devs can't be as creative with their use of animations as maybe they want to be if they want to sell to the largest number of people possible. Animations are still commonplace on major event pieces, namely the actual sex in an ero game, but too many and they cause problems so they get used more sparingly.

I'm not arguing with you about whether RenPy games can have animations or use them well etc. I'm talking from a purely business-minded standpoint. There are plenty of RenPy games that are desktop only (with attempted fan ports maybe) that go ham with animations. But anyone trying to make this their job is gonna want to take even the vocal minorities seriously if they want to get anywhere.

It's worth noting that 2D toon aesthetic titles can get away with more by the way. Fewer colours and lower resolutions are required to allow the visuals to shine etc. so while I'm pointing out animations can be a problem I'm thinking purely about titles that try to push their visuals as many Daz-using devs do. Games like Summertime Saga could probably push the number of animations a heck of a lot further before causing anyone problems.

I don't want to talk all this shop though. I want more LocJaw images :HideThePain:

4.60 star(s) 41 Votes