Mod Ren'Py Space Journey - Gameplay Mod for SJ1.20.11 - Version 1.20f

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017

Overview:
This mod makes a number of changes to a few of the gameplay elements in Space Journey.
It is designed to improve a few aspects of the gameplay,
as well as a few interface tweaks here and there to improve the experience...​

Updated 01/15/2024
Game/Creator: Space Journey / yv0751
Modder: OhWee
Mod Version: 1.20f
Game Version: 1.20.11 ONLY
Language: English

Features:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Change-Log:

Download: See Attached .7z (it's tiny)

---

A few screenshots showing some of the changes/additions:

SpaceJourneyX_ActiveMissionsV12f.jpg SpaceJourneyX_MissionChooserV12f.jpg

SpaceJourneyX_BotConfiguratorV12f.jpg SpaceJourneyX_BotPartChooserV12f.jpg

SpaceJourneyX_SpecialOffersV12f.jpg

SpaceJourneyX_ArcadeManagerV12f.jpg SpaceJourneyX_ArcadeBotViewerV12f.jpg

SpaceJourneyX_CaptainsComputerDesktopV12f.jpg

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Too bad, I encountered a few crasches after installing your mod.
Were you able to hit the 'ignore' button and continue? Also, saves from previous versions will have issues, but I'm guessing you knew that already...

The Stasis Pods index error thing should resolve itself if you 'skip' the error for now, at least that's been my experience...

Essentially, when you unpack the pod, the code to 'fix' the error will be invoked. I'd like to dig into this further, can you give me more details r.e. when you are seeing this happen?

Arheme

Aug 23, 2021
Long story, first error i saw was when i try to loot a krell lasher, second time the same, both times ignored and go further, but when i opened the ???? in the cargo bay the errors keep coming and ignore didn't help anymore.
Good luck with solving this, because i know i can't.
Maybe you can find something in the save i started from.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Hermies and OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Long story, first error i saw was when i try to loot a krell lasher, second time the same, both times ignored and go further, but when i opened the ???? in the cargo bay the errors keep coming and ignore didn't help anymore.
Good luck with solving this, because i know i can't.
Any chance that you have a save that you can provide me from just before when the ???? related error showed up?

Arheme

Aug 23, 2021
The ???? is the terminal in the cargobay, could't find the englisch word for it .
first save is when i loot and use the scrollweel, second when i open the bot containers . succes

Reactions: Hermies and OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
The ???? is the terminal in the cargobay, could't find the englisch word for it .
first save is when i loot and use the scrollweel, second when i open the bot containers . succes
Thanks! I'll take a look at these. I appreciate you taking the time to try this out in the meantime!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I uploaded a minor fix to 860_missions.rpy

Essentially, the available item counts on the mission selection screen weren't always displaying correctly due to the location not being referenced properly. Not sure how this seemed to be working as intended before, but fix is in the attached file in the OP (Version 1.01).

I also changed the thread title to reflect that this is still in 'Beta' status, as there's a few glitches still... you should be able to hit 'ignore' a few times to get past the errors that may show up, but I'm looking into it...

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, so I figured out why it was crashing when trying to open up looted bot pods, fixed the issue I think, and just uploaded a new version (1.2) of my mod with a few fixes. This should 'solve' the issue, and hopefully you won't see the error screen...

I changed a few different files, so it's probably easier to just merge the /game folders again, and overwrite the modified files.

I also slightly added a routine so that 'J' shells will be incorporated into the bot that is in the looted bot pods around 60% of the time (otherwise you'll just get a completed bot without any shell), if another shell type isn't already specified (C, K, L, N, V) by the loot drop type.

Edit: 1.2a version: Fixed an issue where skill increases weren't working properly after I tried a few things to 'fix' the bot pods thing.

Should be pretty stable now, I guess we'll see! The main point of this mod is to explore a few different gameplay ideas, and maybe give yv0751 a few ideas...
:p

Feedback is always welcome!
:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hermies

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
So, a couple of quick notes.

1) Bot pods in the Multiverse pods aren't extracting properly. So I'd suggest FOR NOW that you visit the Multiverse Pod and then save your progress before installing this mod. Once the bots are in your Bot Lab, there shouldn't be any issues. Maybe the cargo hold too, but I haven't tested that yet.

I need to study the Multiverse pod extraction code to see if I can put some sort of check in there for the missing variable & slot...

2) I'm currently playing around with the discipline routines, adjusting the combos so that both Nimhe and Khelara can do the 2/3 combo like Nimhe can. Just need to test a couple of things, and then this should be good to go. I'll edit the combos.png so that people will be able to reference it (if they want)in reference to the adjusted combos. I set up the combos so that Nimhe and Khelara are 'right at the edge' stress wise for the last action, and of course only the right last choice (and previous choices) will allow the double combo to work...

---

Arheme

Just curious. The error you reported in the Space Journey game thread, were you using my mod at the time? The files referenced in the traceback I haven't touched, but I'd like to know regardless. If my mod WAS installed when the error popped up, if you could share your save?

---

I'm currently looking to see if I can add a new column to the mission screen that shows what is currently stored in your warehouse (if anything). This is something that I thought of as I was stuffing stuff in the warehouse in my current game (playtest) session.

BTW, my intention IS to update this mod to SJ 1.1 once the public version is released. It may take me a few days though... I've also shared some 'changes made' reports using WinMerge with yv0751, should any of the stuff I'm messing with atm be of interest to him. I'm hoping that he likes the interface tweaks in particular, as well as my 'suggestions' r.e. bot upgrades and the routine I set up to allow Nimhe to study and then build other shell types.

Reactions: JungleNuts

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
In this episode of 'Adventures in Screen Tweaking'...

WarehouseScreenTweaks.jpg

My campaign to add a bit more functionality and reduce scrolling continues...

The main changes to this screen is to reduce the reliance on the 'A' toggle, and also to add the cargo contract quantity, which changes the text color from orange to yellow if there is sufficient cargo of that type available.

The header has been separated from the item scroll area, so that it stays in place when scrolling. Not really a big deal, but I prefer 'anchored' headers.

Also, note the '73t Free' under the Cargo Hold header, and '70t Free' under the Warehouse header. Yes, you have the other two totals in the top header and Page ID text at the upper left, but this way you don't have to do the math...

The 'a' button has been repurposed. since there are now single "Load", "Store" and "Scrap" buttons alongside the 10x buttons, the 10x buttons can be toggle between '10x' and 'All'.

Finally, the "Autostock > On" second field has a few more toggle states added, so that players can fine tune the 'Auto-buy' amount a bit more. The 'new' progression is:

0:1, 1:5, 5:10, 10:25, 25:50, 50:100, 100:200, 200:500, 500:0

I suppose that you could also go with an Input field, but coding Input fields hurts my brain, and the 'toggles' work pretty well already.

I'm still playing around with a few things, but should have a new version of this mod ready to share shortly...

Last edited:

Arheme

Aug 23, 2021
So, a couple of quick notes.

1) Bot pods in the Multiverse pods aren't extracting properly. So I'd suggest FOR NOW that you visit the Multiverse Pod and then save your progress before installing this mod. Once the bots are in your Bot Lab, there shouldn't be any issues. Maybe the cargo hold too, but I haven't tested that yet.

I need to study the Multiverse pod extraction code to see if I can put some sort of check in there for the missing variable & slot...

2) I'm currently playing around with the discipline routines, adjusting the combos so that both Nimhe and Khelara can do the 2/3 combo like Nimhe can. Just need to test a couple of things, and then this should be good to go. I'll edit the combos.png so that people will be able to reference it (if they want)in reference to the adjusted combos. I set up the combos so that Nimhe and Khelara are 'right at the edge' stress wise for the last action, and of course only the right last choice (and previous choices) will allow the double combo to work...

---

Arheme

Just curious. The error you reported in the Space Journey game thread, were you using my mod at the time? The files referenced in the traceback I haven't touched, but I'd like to know regardless. If my mod WAS installed when the error popped up, if you could share your save?

---

I'm currently looking to see if I can add a new column to the mission screen that shows what is currently stored in your warehouse (if anything). This is something that I thought of as I was stuffing stuff in the warehouse in my current game (playtest) session.

BTW, my intention IS to update this mod to SJ 1.1 once the public version is released. It may take me a few days though... I've also shared some 'changes made' reports using WinMerge with yv0751, should any of the stuff I'm messing with atm be of interest to him. I'm hoping that he likes the interface tweaks in particular, as well as my 'suggestions' r.e. bot upgrades and the routine I set up to allow Nimhe to study and then build other shell types.

I,m sorry for the late response, was reading a long story in game of hearts.
But i wasn´t playing with your mod because i still encounter issues when i try to open botcontainers by the terminal in the
cargobay. ignore doesn´t help.
This error comes when i go trough the arellarti asteroid belt, when i found a botcontainer the game crashes, after ignore the counter says i have the botcontainer but the container is not visible.
Thats why i put the question on the other forum

• Thinking Face
Reactions: OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I,m sorry for the late response, was reading a long story in game of hearts.
But i wasn´t playing with your mod because i still encounter issues when i try to open botcontainers by the terminal in the
cargobay. ignore doesn´t help.
This error comes when i go trough the arellarti asteroid belt, when i found a botcontainer the game crashes, after ignore the counter says i have the botcontainer but the container is not visible.
Thats why i put the question on the other forum
Thanks! Just needed to double check!
;)

The issue you mention I THINK was solved with 1.2, but I'm going to venture to the location you mentioned again in my playtesting to double check. At this point, you might as well wait for 1.3 if this mod still interests you.

---
Everyone:

Here's another tweak that I just made:

missionscreen_tweaks2.jpg

Essentially, I added a 'check warehouse quantity' field, and if you have the associated items in the warehouse, the ''x' in Storage', 'x' being the amount you currently have stored in your warehouse, will be added as shown.

Now to see if the 'auto-buy items in warehouse' feature actually did anything in my current playtest (i.e. did yv0751 implement that feature yet in 1.00b...)
:p

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
So in typical OhWee fashion, I decided to tweak the Bot Config screen a bit more...

BotConfigScreen_MoreTweaks.jpg

This is getting into 'minutia' territory, so I should explain what's going on now...

So, you'll note that I've added text for the current grade (subpar to military) to the right of the body parts...

- green text means that there are parts of a higher grade currently available.
. > i.e. the Green 'Subpar' Arms has one or more parts of Basic or higher grade.

- Yellow text means that other parts of the same grade are available, should you wish to check for say a less worn part.
- Orange text means that only parts of a lower grade, so the Orange 'Advanced' Head can only be swapped out for Basic or Sub-Par parts.
- White text means that you've 'maxed out' the Grade. This normally will always be 'Military' Grade, but note the torso situation below...

Note the ^ and ! symbols...

- The red ! means that no other parts of the same Gen (if already Gen 3) OR of a Higher Gen (if Gen 2 or less) are available!
- > So the white 'Advanced' torso grade text indicates that your part is the only part available...

- The green ^ means that one or more higher gen parts of the same or higher grade is currently available.
- There's also a red down arrow coded, if it appears, this means that only lower grade parts of a higher gen are available.
- These arrows will NOT appear if you already have a Gen 3 part.

---

I set all of this up so that players can see at a glance what the current quality grade of a part is without having to hover over the part, and so that they might have some clue if better parts are currently available should they want to swap out the part for a higher grade and/or higher gen part...

Note that I considered adding 'available part counts', but I didn't want to make the interface look too busy with text. I'm already 'counting' the parts to set up the color coding and such, but I think that the current color coding of the added text and added icons give enough relevant information already IMHO.

---

I'm still playtesting my latest changes, and if all goes well I'll post a 1.3 update shortly...

Reactions: JungleNuts

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I just uploaded v1.03 of this mod. The most significant changes are detailed in my previous 3 posts, to the Bot Configuration & Training screen, the Mission Selection screen, and the Warehouse inventory screen.

In case you were looking for something to play around with while we all wait for Space Journey 1.1 to drop. As noted before, I suggest visiting the multiverse pod ingame in 1.00b before installing this mod, to make sure that any bots stored in the multiverse pod extract properly. Then save your game at that point, quit and install this mod, then load up that save when you start again.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I DO recommend that you visit the multiverse pod before installing my mod. If you have a 'vanilla' install or can make a vanilla install (i.e. extract SJ 1.00b again into a different folder) and visit the multiverse pod, save, and then access that save using the 'modified' install (said saves should just show up on both ends), that'll avoid a 'bots not extracting from multiverse pod so they just disappear' issue that I haven't tried to tackle yet.

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, so with help from Arheme I was able to figure out a couple of other issues, so a new version (V1.04) is attached to the OP. This SHOULD allow people to extract bots from bot containers from multiverse pods AFTER installing my mod, and fix a couple of other bot container/bot storage related issues.

Thanks Arheme for the help!

As I mentioned, V1.04a version attached to OP!

Edit: V 1.04 replaced with 1.04A. Only change between 1.04 and 1.04A are in 420_night_passes.rpy - fixed an issue with jobs.

Last edited:
  • Yay, new update!
Reactions: sweetit