RPGM Abandoned Rpg Maker Test of Battle system! [Abandoned] [Ero-Moses]

2.00 star(s) 15 Votes

sanahtlig

Jul 6, 2019
I have a hard time believing this is all kosher...
simon404's licensing terms require attribution (which you've given) but also restrict usage to noncommercial, yet you have an itch, patreon, and subscribestar, mate. You toe a fine line.
In his own words this game appears to be a proof-of-concept. Yes he's "selling" the game on Itch.io, but that page also says this is a proof-of-concept. That makes it less likely that people will pay for it. This feels more like a demo that he's giving people the opportunity to pay for.

Now if he makes a game that's several hours long, does all the same things, and still tries to monetize--then I think the "non-commercial" claim no longer holds water. But even then, if he can get the right-holders to agree (to either sign a contract or not sue him) then technically it's still legal.

To avoid accusations and promote his partners, he should probably include credits in the product pages where the game is being distributed. Instead he's just promoting his own work currently.
1677627298209.png

Last edited:

wewladdy

Aug 5, 2016
I see can you try to hit it earlier?
It is definitely possible as I have hit it multiple times, though I just gave up since you have to be able to consistently hit both that one and the one after it (also quite fast) to do any damage. And to be honest I just didn't think it was worth it for a small tech demo (no offence intended as that is what I understand from your description of the game). I think I had seen most of it by that point.
I think the idea is good and I am going to follow your other game though :). Just my thoughts in case you decide to implement these features elsewhere.

CYFire

Feb 8, 2018
Well... If your goal was to make the frustration tangible that this damn drunken useless goddess should fucking HEAL... yeah 1+.
If your goal was to recreate the banter of a fastpaced sword duel... less.
If your goal was to annoy the heck out of me. Yep. Done that.
Whats the point in those girls to the right? fucking clickbait, no Megumin in there. What's the point of the points? None.

Mechanically, no clue what to do before it happens is a set off, the eternal health "negates" that, but losing your built up momentum is bad anyway. The acustic cue in boss fight sometimes felt off/the visual bar seemed lagging. The banter until knockover was way to long, then - no cue again - sudden change from spacebar to arrow keyes.

It was tiresome. But kudos to the pixel artist.
The pacing of text was good.

Mar 29, 2020
The game itself may be free, however, let's say people now start subscribing to you on those platforms expecting to get more content like this one specifically. You are bound to have people subscribe to you on these sites that misunderstand that the art in games like this one are your own, and that if they follow you, they'll get more of the same. Sadly a lot of people don't read credits really, I would imagine more don't than actually do. This is what they are trying to point out to you, that the subscribers you'd gain as a result of a game like this, would make your actions disingenuous.

Beyond that... in this day and age, anyone could easily cook up a fake text image with permission like the one you've shown. It's like me taking a picture of some woman's positive pregnancy test, and sharing it while saying, look, I'm pregnant! (And I'm also a dude btw).

If you gain even one subscriber because of this free mini-game, it's not okay basically. A lot of people probably won't even see the credits if you have them at the end of this tech demo of sorts. As I write this someone even points out how the game is too hard... Forgot about that one. Even more people won't even see the credits because as you say this game is "dark-souls" hard... so the whole, but it is credited at the end point, is moot.

Deleted member 2746046

Game Developer
Aug 18, 2020
It is definitely possible as I have hit it multiple times, though I just gave up since you have to be able to consistently hit both that one and the one after it (also quite fast) to do any damage. And to be honest I just didn't think it was worth it for a small tech demo (no offence intended as that is what I understand from your description of the game). I think I had seen most of it by that point.
I think the idea is good and I am going to follow your other game though :). Just my thoughts in case you decide to implement these features elsewhere.
Okey well thats really great feedback! Most of people on my discord have old pc or they playing on mobile with JoiPlay so I did not think about that. I am still no sure How can I fix it for people with fast refresh rate..

LonerPrime

Apr 9, 2018
Generally, I dislike playing games based on anime/mangas. It kinda messes with my perception as I find it hard to look at the original work with the same impression again. But... on the other hand, I am a sucker of pixel animations and the combat system does look interesting..

Yep, will give it a spin. Thanks for sharing!

Takku

Sep 19, 2017
Not sure if I'm missing something but my god that mini-game at beldia is so infuriating, near impossible to do and sometimes its already past the green part when it pops up.

Reactions: ohcmonrest

sanahtlig

Jul 6, 2019
I see that fair point so if I add like credits and patreon on sites where people downloading is it better?
Yes. All the sites where you control the post. If you're promoting your own work on the page, why *wouldn't* you promote your partners without whose work the game wouldn't be possible?

It seems like you have good intentions, but there's a sort of business etiquette you're not adhering to and that's why people are calling you out.

Last edited:

wewladdy

Aug 5, 2016
Okey well thats really great feedback! Most of people on my discord have old pc or they playing on mobile with JoiPlay so I did not think about that. I am still no sure How can I fix it for people with fast refresh rate..
No idea about rpgmaker development but a bit of googling brought some threads up

I followed one of the fixes and updated my package.json file with
"chromium-args": "--limit-fps=60"
and it actually seems to have fixed it, I can consistently hit crits now :)

Reactions: ffive and YdenMkII

Zatch243

Oct 9, 2020
dude i hate this games quick time mechanics -w- im not even going to bother finishing this looks cool i guess but its not my thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: datadraino

Claije

Apr 5, 2018
I curse whoever made these minigames with a thousand papercuts inbetween their fingers.
The frames aren't representative of where the bar actually is
The bars move too fast, or the sections are too short.
It is not enjoyable, it's just a waste of my time. Start over from scratch.

Deleted member 2746046

Game Developer
Aug 18, 2020
No idea about rpgmaker development but a bit of googling brought some threads up

I followed one of the fixes and updated my package.json file with
"chromium-args": "--limit-fps=60"
and it actually seems to have fixed it, I can consistently hit crits now :)
OH THATS AMAZING THANK YOU! wow

Mar 18, 2019
Is there a trick to the Belvia fight or a workaround? Surely it can't be this fucked?

Since I'm not a zoomer and have mild arthritis my reflexes land in the 0.38 range and this LITERALLY seems like I am physically incapable of beating it.

klumper6

Oct 24, 2019
I'm reading a lot of dark souls for some reason and I'm confused if this is being compared to dark souls. This is not a souls like and even then souls like isn't meant to be impossible, just "hard". It's not the first time I've seen one of these "bars" being used in RPGMaker games but never have I experienced something this poorly made.

I love the 8bit retro style and the ui tho, so that's a plus.

2.00 star(s) 15 Votes