• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tool RPGM RPG Maker MV v1.62 Linux Mac and Windows

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

NotSparko35337

Mar 31, 2018
I attempted this on the game MECHANICA: A Ballad of the Rabbit and Mercury (https://f95zone.to/threads/mechanica-a-ballad-of-the-rabbit-and-mercury-final-loser-s.94550/) but received this error in the first image. My current 'nwjs.app/Contents/Resources' is organized as followed in the second image. Is there anything that seems wrong with the setup? I'm using a Mac on Big Sur with the M1 chip.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Nevermind! The game file itself was scuffed so it wasn't a problem with this workaround. Thanks for the great solution!!

Last edited:

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
Hey guys, I'm trying this game: https://f95zone.to/threads/part-time-exhibitionist-girl-v1-0rf-double-melon.39121/
but its failing with failed resource path (full of symbols where you do expect japanese characters), I tried launching it even japanese locale but it still fails to find the resource. Funny thing is that the game works as is under wine, but MV seems to consume a crazy amount of processing that way, which is very obnoxious and quite annoying given a higher fan noise. Has anyone faced this?

Nov 4, 2018
Hey guys, I'm trying this game: https://f95zone.to/threads/part-time-exhibitionist-girl-v1-0rf-double-melon.39121/
but its failing with failed resource path (full of symbols where you do expect japanese characters), I tried launching it even japanese locale but it still fails to find the resource. Funny thing is that the game works as is under wine, but MV seems to consume a crazy amount of processing that way, which is very obnoxious and quite annoying given a higher fan noise. Has anyone faced this?
If you're playing on Linux, try installing the japanese locale, and set the language on the terminal window before running nw. Once you get it working, you can automate the commands by writing a short script file.

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
If you're playing on Linux, try installing the japanese locale, and set the language on the terminal window before running nw. Once you get it working, you can automate the commands by writing a short script file.
I tried just that with LC_ALL=ja_JP.utf-8 without luck, unless there is another way or locale to do this.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I tried just that with LC_ALL=ja_JP.utf-8 without luck, unless there is another way or locale to do this.
No need for that.
The game runs fine on Linux tested it on Ubuntu 20.04. The problem you have is that the game wasn't extracted with Japanese characters. Which extraction tool did you use?

Here is how the file names should look:
1635832513066.png 1635832649386.png

Not sure if this matters, but I have Japanese language pack installed next to English on my system.

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
Tried it without any locale change. It works without issue. I'm wondering maybe you extracted the archive file incorrectly.
The game runs fine on Linux tested it on Ubuntu 20.04. The problem you have is that the game wasn't extracted with Japanese characters. Which extraction tool did you use?
I don't think so, i seems the filenames have been extracted correctly, or at least it looks like so from pic attached:
Screenshot_20211102_154139.jpeg
I just got the file from the thread here as well, its a rar that's known to cause issues... Either way, it finds the files on wine which it wouldn't if it was some filename issue. So I'm really without a clue here...
Maybe its the nwjs version that I'm trying to use?
Also, curious I've tried other similar games, but on RPG VX, they used to always work on wine, but now two have crashed on me when starting a new game, do any of you guys here also play VX Ace on wine?

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
Just tried it again with a different version, this is what I get when starting a new game...

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Just tried it again with a different version, this is what I get when starting a new game...
Did you check the img/characters folder if the file names are all correct?

Which version of nw.js do you use? I tried the game with v0.53.

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
Did you check the img/characters folder if the file names are all correct?

Which version of nw.js do you use? I tried the game with v0.53.
The filenames are all correct, the last version I had from the thread is 0.35.5, do you guys just use any nwjs version?

Nov 4, 2018
The filenames are all correct, the last version I had from the thread is 0.35.5, do you guys just use any nwjs version?
Can't remember where I got it, but I use the same version RPG Maker MV that's referenced in the game (found in www/js/rpgcore.js). For that particular game, it's 1.5.1, so I get that version.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
You can download any version from here; v0.53 and 0.54 are stable. Download and extract the content into a new folder or overwrite the content in the game folder. Rename "nw" to "nw.sh" and execute the file. If you extract v0.53/0.54 into a new folder keep in mind to copy the game's "www" and " project.json" file into it too.

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
You can download any version from here; v0.53 and 0.54 are stable.
For that particular game, it's 1.5.1, so I get that version.
Thanks this might have done it, haven't played too much but I don't get the path error when starting out anymore.
So just for future reference, I've found the rpg_core.js, but besides that how do you which nwjs version to use, or where to find the corresponding MV version?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Thanks this might have done it, haven't played too much but I don't get the path error when starting out anymore.
So just for future reference, I've found the rpg_core.js, but besides that how do you which nwjs version to use, or where to find the corresponding MV version?
NW.js has nothing to do with RPG Maker (rpg_core.js)! However, RPG Maker uses nw.js for their game engine. So, the latest available version of RPG Maker v1.62 use an old nw.js version (v0.29). Means: All games, that are compiled with RPG Maker MV v1.62 are distributed with nw.js v0.29.

The successor of RPG Maker MV -> RPG Maker MZ uses a newer version of nw.js (no idea which one, but still many versions behind latest available version of nw.js on their website).

Last edited:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Has the MV tool for Linux been updated since it's first post here?
Not sure what you mean by "tool"...? :unsure:

If you mean RPGMaker MV engine than the answer is no, because KADOKAWA moved on and started to develop RPGMaker MZ.

May 20, 2021
Not sure what you mean by "tool"...? :unsure:

If you mean RPGMaker MV engine than the answer is no, because KADOKAWA moved on and started to develop RPGMaker MZ.
I moved the www folder from the mv game to the RPG Maker MV 1.61 Linux version, I tried executing the game.desktop but it doesn't work. Nor does it work in launching it from terminal, the nw file in the main folder launches from terminal but does not go past the loading screen.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I moved the www folder from the mv game to the RPG Maker MV 1.61 Linux version, I tried executing the game.desktop but it doesn't work. Nor does it work in launching it from terminal, the nw file in the main folder launches from terminal but does not go past the loading screen.
It's normal because "nw" needs permission to executing file as program. You can do this either via right-click and properties or via Terminal and chmod.

May 20, 2021
It's normal because "nw" needs permission to executing file as program. You can do this either via right-click and properties or via Terminal and chmod.
in the folder RPG_Maker_MV_v1.6.1_Linux the nw file has the allow as an executable enabled for it.

I went back to the other posts, am I using a outdated version of this software to play games on a ubuntu based linux distro? I don't see the name of that one I use here anymore. Can someone point me to what I need to do. I want to play a Kagura published game that has the rpg core mv version 1.6.1?

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 2 Votes