• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Others RogueSmut (Development Thread)

Zerei

Mar 4, 2020
Maybe these games with ambition and larger scopes would actually be completed if the community would stop being so fucking negative about it. I come back a year later to the first reply being about scope, like every other reply in this thread. Jesus christ.

I've only worked on the game for three months. Yeah I said a year, and I expected a full year of continuous development. Life happens, that wasnt an option. Moving on, I'm going to pickup and continue.

If you wanna argue over scope and my design, I'll eagerly discuss it on a discord call. But I don't have the patience to type out or explain myself to you or anyone on here anymore about my scope or work ethic.
It seems your recent days weren't any good at all huh...

I showed no intention of arguing over it. No negativity either.

I only referred to your very own mention of it in your newest post. Your freshly changed intentions regarding it and my thoughts on them, neutral ones even.
Going forward, I'm going to narrow the scope of the project for obvious reasons lol. Going to also pivot toward a play style or atmosphere of LonaRPG than what I had initially anticipated.
I'm going to ease up on my own creative expectations and work on finding a more realistic approach to the art direction.
I support you whether you do it one way or the other. You are one of the few developers here who want to make something more advanced rather than glorified visual novels or often mediocre RPGMaker games! How can I not support that as person who made a thread to ramble about lack of projects like that?

AtticDweller

Jun 29, 2018
Any further progress you'd like to share? I took a gander through the forum thread and devlog videos and I very much like what I saw by #7. You finished off talking about the nsfw art that you created for the game and I'd be interested to see what you had in store for players. I had just finished playing Lona and thought the world-building and theme were pretty damn good-- I think a grimdark theme could allow for a lot of player choice.

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
Any further progress you'd like to share? I took a gander through the forum thread and devlog videos and I very much like what I saw by #7. You finished off talking about the nsfw art that you created for the game and I'd be interested to see what you had in store for players. I had just finished playing Lona and thought the world-building and theme were pretty damn good-- I think a grimdark theme could allow for a lot of player choice.
Yeah Lona has been a huge inspiration, along with some other more JRPG style games. I don't have anything to show, but primarily just focusing on Art. I knew from the beginning is was going to be the most difficult and time consuming thing by far. I initially planned to outsource it and pay for it to be done. I was completely content in doing so until some personal things in my life have shifted and I no longer have that sort of opportunity. I continue to draw, freehand, and sketch in my free time to further my skills. I've tried many different alternatives to help speed up the art pipeline then hand drawing, but it's just not working. For the quality and uniqueness I desire, I can't fill the gap with 3D renders. It's just not possible.

My vision is still there, my code is still valid, and the project still exists. It'll get done one way or another. Took me years and years to learn to code, and get where I'm at now. Unfortunately I never took art into consideration during that period. So it's going to take a while for that too. The advantage, is I may be able to capture that goal of mine - whether it be in the adult game industry, or indie game industry, to actually be able to produce my own product from start to finish beta (lol).

Thank you for showing interest though. That's very kind of you.

AtticDweller

Jun 29, 2018
Yeah Lona has been a huge inspiration, along with some other more JRPG style games. I don't have anything to show, but primarily just focusing on Art. I knew from the beginning is was going to be the most difficult and time consuming thing by far. I initially planned to outsource it and pay for it to be done. I was completely content in doing so until some personal things in my life have shifted and I no longer have that sort of opportunity. I continue to draw, freehand, and sketch in my free time to further my skills. I've tried many different alternatives to help speed up the art pipeline then hand drawing, but it's just not working. For the quality and uniqueness I desire, I can't fill the gap with 3D renders. It's just not possible.

My vision is still there, my code is still valid, and the project still exists. It'll get done one way or another. Took me years and years to learn to code, and get where I'm at now. Unfortunately I never took art into consideration during that period. So it's going to take a while for that too. The advantage, is I may be able to capture that goal of mine - whether it be in the adult game industry, or indie game industry, to actually be able to produce my own product from start to finish beta (lol).

Thank you for showing interest though. That's very kind of you.
I personally think the art is the most challenging aspect of an adult game but the most rewarding when you get it to the quality that you want. I'm glad you're going with the approach of hand-drawn art because most adult games I've seen can't pull off the 3D look without looking uncanny or run-of-the-mill. If you ever feel like posting art or want feedback on it let me know-- I like keeping tabs on how people develop their art-styles.

I'll definitely be on the lookout for future updates since I don't see many adult games with format that you've showcased so far. Best of luck on your game/art development!

Reactions: Kinderalpha

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
This will be the last bump to all the supporters of my project throughout this thread. Can't tell you how much I appreciated the feedback and process when this started. Unfortunately, I'm archiving this project for now. This project revealed a monstrous flaw in my process of design. That is; I focused too heavily on my strengths and not on my weaknesses. As a result, I put myself far ahead in the programming aspect of the design, but miles behind in UX, Art direction, and storytelling. Since the beginning, as mentioned, art was my biggest hold up. Instead of prioritizing that hurdle, I stuffed it away to focus on what I was good at. This continued until I was forced to face it, and instead of facing it with creativity, I was pressuring myself to do whatever I could make work. Resulting in unsatisfactory outcomes. Definitely learned from that mistake.

This doesn't mean I may not revisit this project in the future. Roguelikes, and specifically an adult roguelike, still holds a warm place in my heart for game development. I so wish I could continue this project. Unfortunately, my back up plans were incinerated due to real life circumstances robbing me of my plan to back the project financially for art. In addition, it also robbed me of all the extra time I would require for the art pipeline I was going to choose. As a result, this project is no longer realistic for me.

Only light in this post, is I am focusing my attention on a new project. This time, I'm not going to over promise and under delivered. I'm simply just not going to promise. There may be a post sometime in the future, but I would prefer to keep it closed door for now. This time around, I'm making art, and my other weaknesses, the priority. I'll be re-using a lot of my code in the new project thankfully. This post is to all of those that supported me in this endeavor. I lost my old discord account, otherwise I'd mention it to you individually. For everyone else, disregard this bump - this is yet another failed project ;)

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
This will be the last bump to all the supporters of my project throughout this thread. Can't tell you how much I appreciated the feedback and process when this started. Unfortunately, I'm archiving this project for now.
Valé to a fallen soldier of the dev world.

It sucks that things didn't work out the way you wanted.

Hater's gonna hate, but you don't have to give them mind-space.

It's great that your treating it a step on a journey.

Best of luck for your future projects. :alien: