• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Others RogueSmut (Development Thread)

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
I'm not dead! Here are the most recent changes and progress I've made. Still no lewd artwork to get you guys excited, but it's coming soon! I've been diligently learning how to draw, and adopting a style of my own. In the meantime, I've been working on the following. At the bottom I'll list what has been done for those who don't want to watch the (sfw) video. If you have any comments on the feature shown in the video, let me know! I'm trying to make features as comprehensible and intuitive as possible.

Code:
Graphic interface for inventory.
Scrollbar, scrollbar grip, and mousewheel functionality.
Inventory (Picking up, dropping, sorting, moving, resizing).
Base item framework and blueprints (to expand on).
More functionality and characterization of NPC's.
NPC entity and blueprints expanded since last issue.
If you're interested in the code or development process for the above features, I've also recorded myself going over those specific systems in

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
Doing better than me, I'm still working on tile sets XP
Yeah, I've sort of put all art and asset creation on the back burner. I'm going to pivot toward that once I get further in the development process so I will better understand what I need and what the requirements are. That's just how it goes with my approach I guess. I do wanna share something though, so the thread isn't entirely just sfw development haha.

Cul

Feb 25, 2019
Oh, you might like

Thinking it might help with the base for some art, at least.

Seems for some images, I'd want to fake some contrast first, before pyxelate.

Reactions: Kinderalpha

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
Oh, you might like

Thinking it might help with the base for some art, at least.

Seems for some images, I'd want to fake some contrast first, before pyxelate.
Pixelating images never crossed my mind! I had an idea for doing high resolution pixel art (like not 100x100) then upscaling. I just had no idea how to do pixel art on that scale. I'm gonna play with this tool and see what I can generate with some of my existing artwork.

This is really cool, thanks for sharing. This might be exactly what I'm looking for.

Reactions: Cul

Cul

Feb 25, 2019
Hah, yeah, I also liked it. For people who might be reading, basically I grab a sword from Yandex and it makes this

Figure_1.png

Reactions: Kinderalpha

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
Back with another update! It's been really difficult to find time to do anything with what's going on, so not too much new. With how much boilerplate code I've written for the engine, things are starting to speed up though so that's good news. With that additional time, I was able to squeeze out a little more content then last update, and tried establishing some art styles and assets to show off. In case you're not interested in the video, I'll have some gifs and a textbox at the bottom of this post for new things added. Thanks for coming by, and stay well!

New combat animation, floating combat text, and effect. Wanted to give better player feedback to who is attacking, who is getting hit, and the damage being dealt. There is more room for improvement here, but I like the direction it's going. It's very satisfying to kill a horde of my naked clones.
With the new GUI, I wanted to make it feel polished and smooth. What better way then to add polished, smooth animations! They act as "Drawers" and can be accessed by hotkey or by the sidebar in the lower right part of the screen. This UI overall is subject to change. It's current features fit most of my needs, and has customization for coloring and size. I don't like how much screen space it takes up currently.
Inventory management will be important, so I want to offer all the necessary features to players. Drag 'n Drop, or Insert items. Sort items. Drop, Examine, Use, Equip and whatever else. Along with some other features being added to the game. I want it to be an all inclusive menu that allows smooth interaction with the games items and interface. Implementing the scrollbar was more difficult then I had imagined haha.
An example of some boilerplate I wrote for equipment interaction and character customization. This is very early on, but I wanted to show off a key design of the game. You will be able to equip and un-equip items in the inventory that will directly effect the sprite and character in the equipment menu. Fit her for battle, or for sex ... up to you!

Here is a video outlining all these features more in-depth and some comments about development. I have other videos detailing the process of my development that go into both design and technical parts of it. I'm not trying to be a youtube star, just wanted to offer it to anyone who is curious. If you happen to be really curious about the programming part, let me know, and I will happily do a video outlining my architecture, design patterns I'm using, and some of the obstacles I've overcome.

As promised, here is an example of the art style and what I currently have. I'm taking a pixel art approach to the content because I think it will blend well with the rest of the graphics in-game. I didn't want to use 3D models that heavily contrast with the other-wise pixel art game. I also wanted to use a style that allowed me to express my own creative ideas without limitations. I have some improvements to make in the art department, but I'm okay with how it looks now and I can always re-do it. As promised...
example.png

Ree^2

Sep 14, 2018
It's starting to look like a game, and it actually reminds me of other rogue like games. Are you planning to make your game like ADOM and very fleshed out or will it be more like Rogue Fable II and be fairly small and simple? Also are you going to implement magic/range? Also a minimap would be nice. Although these things aren't that important, at least not this early in development. I don't think a good rogue like needs 6-8 years to be made, even as a hobby. However it'll probably take 2-3 as a lone dev. It'll probably be very bare bones if you just develop it in just a timeframe of 1 year.

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
It's starting to look like a game, and it actually reminds me of other rogue like games. Are you planning to make your game like ADOM and very fleshed out or will it be more like Rogue Fable II and be fairly small and simple? Also are you going to implement magic/range? Also a minimap would be nice. Although these things aren't that important, at least not this early in development. I don't think a good rogue like needs 6-8 years to be made, even as a hobby. However it'll probably take 2-3 as a lone dev. It'll probably be very bare bones if you just develop it in just a timeframe of 1 year.
Thanks for showing some interest haha. I plan on making it fleshed out, yes. I've recently played "Degrees of Lewdity" which has shined some light on a lot of new creative ideas. I want it to feel like a rogue like and expansive world, instead of a very linear and directed world. Magic and Range is expected, haven't decided exactly how I'm going to implement it. There will definitely be a minimap along with other navigational specific features.

I'm on a hiatus right now, working on a personal project in real life and also handling spring related things. I will probably pick back up on this in July(?). Which means release date is out to 2021 more than likely. So far, art is my only concern here because it's become quicker and quicker to add features and content to the game. Doing my own art is really slow though.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Wasn't the point of using 3D models to get a lot of lewd scenes?
Development is going to crawl with doing pixel art.
You would be better of trying to build everything around the 3D art style rather then the other way around.

• Sad

SerokMinmas

Sep 6, 2016
Oh BOY how did I manage to miss this thread until now, this is just amazing.

I loved the idea and so far it seems extremely promising, I am looking forward to a playable demo.

I'm using Love2D which is a free, open-sourced C++ framework with a Lua API for 2D game development.
You can find the GitHub repository here:
It makes me INCREDIBLY happy to see someone using Love/Lua for games, makes me feel like people are actually giving a shit about making games around here, and Open-Sourced games too! Just amazing.

I have used it a few times, and I quite like it (And there's a bit of nationalistic pride, seeing as LUA is a Brazilian Language), but what made you choose it instead of something like C++ with SDL or some other framework-y library?

For this reason, I'm choosing to use Koikatsu Charastudio for the renders. Some may be turned away from this, others may find this exciting. It's the only suite that has a very quick workflow, low rendering times (virtually none), easy interface, consistent art style, and fits my needs. I've considered other options but it's just not realistic when it comes to time and effort.
Oh, you might like
I didn't read the entire thread in detail, so I'm not sure if people suggested this, but you could use a renderer like Koikatsu and use it as a base and pyxelate (Or manually pixelize the art) it, but I guess that was the whole point of the suggestion.

Also never heard of that thing, and it seems PRETTY interesting, will try to use in some projects, thanks Cul.

With the new GUI, I wanted to make it feel polished and smooth.
Much Polish
Very Smooth

Looks great!

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
Pyxelate works great if you're tailoring to a color palette or authoring the image that you feed into it. I spent a long time trying to figure out if I could produce good enough images using a 3D render to pyxelate, but frankly I just wasn't satisfied with the quality. Where it lacks the most is being able to differentiate smaller details that are very important. Female genitalia is indistinguishable in all my samples when trying to pyxelate a 3D model. If I go in a brush darker strokes in that region before feeding it into pyxelate, the outcome is a little better but still not satisfactory for me. That's why I chose to go with pixel art.

I'm still practicing my drawing while being away from the project. By the time I come back, I'll probably just free hand everything with the experience I got. Sucks that I can't work on this right now and sorry for anybody who has been following and such. Long story short, adulting sucks.

Reactions: VL4DST3R
Mar 28, 2017
This looked very neat. I hope you come back to this! I have to say your art wasn't particularly bad from the preview you released! I wouldn't have minded looking at it constantly but every artist is his own critic at this point. The character definitely had a sexual appeal to her so good job on conveying it.

On the topic of rogue-likes what was your inspiration for working on this? What do you think it would have become similar to? This is also a sneaky way of talking about some rogue-like games...

Personally from what I see it looks like IVAN, but I don't see any bananas.

Ghostload

Jan 23, 2019
Lol what is this, Erotic Bandersnatch?

I'm joking, I like both Bandersnatch/Brataccas and this game.

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
Update on this. Took a few (maybe more) months break from this over the summer and fall while focusing on other things. Been looking back at my old code base to familiarize myself with it. The videos actually sort of helped with that. Going forward, I'm going to narrow the scope of the project for obvious reasons lol. Going to also pivot toward a play style or atmosphere of LonaRPG than what I had initially anticipated. Looking forward to returning to this with fresh eyes and ideas with the experience over the past few months.

Even after all these months, the thought of the art direction still puzzles me. It's what drove me away in the beginning, and still stands as an obstacle as I return. I'm going to ease up on my own creative expectations and work on finding a more realistic approach to the art direction. Animations are a big thing for me, and frankly with my previous pipeline for art, that was absolutely not an option. My drawing skills may have improved a little, but the time it takes for me to produce something is still quite long. So I think I'm going to go in the direction of rendered art from Koikatsu. With a little bit of flavor of course.

Major gameplay changes though. I am going to loosen my fixation on the roguelike aspects and focus more on the core gameplay loop and core features. Hopefully getting a Demo out by next month.

Thank you everybody for the interest and sincerity. I'm not dead yet.

Reactions: VL4DST3R and Zerei

Zerei

Mar 4, 2020
Update on this. Took a few (maybe more) months break from this over the summer and fall while focusing on other things. Been looking back at my old code base to familiarize myself with it. The videos actually sort of helped with that. Going forward, I'm going to narrow the scope of the project for obvious reasons lol. Going to also pivot toward a play style or atmosphere of LonaRPG than what I had initially anticipated. Looking forward to returning to this with fresh eyes and ideas with the experience over the past few months.

Even after all these months, the thought of the art direction still puzzles me. It's what drove me away in the beginning, and still stands as an obstacle as I return. I'm going to ease up on my own creative expectations and work on finding a more realistic approach to the art direction. Animations are a big thing for me, and frankly with my previous pipeline for art, that was absolutely not an option. My drawing skills may have improved a little, but the time it takes for me to produce something is still quite long. So I think I'm going to go in the direction of rendered art from Koikatsu. With a little bit of flavor of course.

Major gameplay changes though. I am going to loosen my fixation on the roguelike aspects and focus more on the core gameplay loop and core features. Hopefully getting a Demo out by next month.

Thank you everybody for the interest and sincerity. I'm not dead yet.
Honestly, I'm a bit surprised at hearing this "not dead yet", heh.

It seems the people that said "it would take long years" were right after all though, eh? Given how you decided to decrease the scope after all, in spite of how you originally claimed it wouldn't take more than year and all that.

I'm not sure whether to be happy or unhappy about that. I'm all for ambitious games, but being too ambitious may delay releases infinitely. It's probably for the better, but I think it would be good to try making the game in a way that would allow expanding it into your more ambitious vision of it with future updates.

• Angry
Reactions: Rexaureus

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
Honestly, I'm a bit surprised at hearing this "not dead yet", heh.

It seems the people that said "it would take long years" were right after all though, eh? Given how you decided to decrease the scope after all, in spite of how you originally claimed it wouldn't take more than year and all that.

I'm not sure whether to be happy or unhappy about that. I'm all for ambitious games, but being too ambitious may delay releases infinitely. It's probably for the better, but I think it would be good to try making the game in a way that would allow expanding it into your more ambitious vision of it with future updates.
Maybe these games with ambition and larger scopes would actually be completed if the community would stop being so fucking negative about it. I come back a year later to the first reply being about scope, like every other reply in this thread. Jesus christ.

I've only worked on the game for three months. Yeah I said a year, and I expected a full year of continuous development. Life happens, that wasnt an option. Moving on, I'm going to pickup and continue.

If you wanna argue over scope and my design, I'll eagerly discuss it on a discord call. But I don't have the patience to type out or explain myself to you or anyone on here anymore about my scope or work ethic.

Reactions: Rexaureus