ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
A general comment:

I think it is a very wise thing to be wary of new projects with ambitious goals. It's important to keep your expectations measured, as even best intentions don't always pan out.

If you are on the fence about supporting the project in any way, the answer is simple: don't. Wait until you see the art to decide if you like it. Wait until we can get a demo into your hands. Wait until we're on v0.99 and are fine-tuning the sheen on the player's pubic hair. That's okay!

The reason you are seeing information about this project at all is that I believe in transparency and hope. I want people to know that someone out there is working on this game. That's why the project git is public - if you want to stay up with me all night, refreshing the page to see my commits trickle in at 1, 3, 6, and 9 AM, you can do so.

I can promise that this project means a lot to me - much more than it does to anyone else on this forum. I have no intention of letting it fail.

ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
I'll miss Oni's Laura design. For a minute. Ain't it great when you can mod things with a drag and drop?

Is there a specific run/iteration you're focusing on for inspiration on the character design?
It is indeed great! It's funny, I've always hated his Laura, but I'm all about choice. I'm going to hold out hope that you'll want to use our Laura by the time you see it :).

I've been picking and choosing from a wide range with regards to references for the artists. Funnily enough, many of my favorite images of Laura specifically are fan art. Let's chat over DM, it sounds to me like you have some thoughts on the matter!

mp82rw

Jan 26, 2020
Hey there!

I've been mostly active on the Discord for Rogue-Like modding, but decided to take a peak in here. Seems like it was a good idea, since I can share some of the info that I've been sharing through discussions over there.

I'll start with this one! This is a really, really reasonable request. I'm going to hold off for now for two reasons:

1) The art style is in flux as I go back and forth with the artist about what works with some of the existing art we want to keep (ie. the new backgrounds, which I absolutely love). The artist has a portfolio that's spread across things like realistic DnD portraits, semi-realistic renditions of famous movie scenes, and even tattoos (that kick ass btw). I don't want people assuming the art for the game will look like something that it won't.

2) I want to afford the artist a degree of separation, and therefore protection, from the general public. If there is ever a situation where y'all don't like a character design, I want to be able to tell him directly - I don't want him to start receiving random messages telling him he sucks. The same goes for our principal writer for now.

Fortunately, you won't have to wait for long. The main character artist is chunking away at the first design, and his first drafts are *chef's kiss* in my opinion. Once the body is more or less settled upon, I will pass the art onto the main outfit designer, who already has schemes to bring the best of that character's outfits to fruition. I'm very optimistic I'll have some samples for interested parties by next week. People looking for those updates should head over to the Discord, as I don't plan on releasing many dev updates in such a public forum until we've solidly hit the ground running and I can start demonstrating results.

The beautiful thing about commissioning our own art is that it means I can feel no guilt in telling the artist to start over or looking for a new artist who better fits the game's vision, *if* it were to ever come to that.
I get it. The internet is toxic as hell, and it's actually kind of refreshing to see you protecting the artist.

I'll be honest, Oni's art is what pulled me in and kept me interested, even with the years of delays, so your artists definitely have their work cut out for them... However, given your attitude and passion for the project, I'll trust your judgement and wait with baited breath.

Good luck, man! Looking forward to it!

• Red Heart
Reactions: ronchonbon

mp82rw

Jan 26, 2020
It is indeed great! It's funny, I've always hated his Laura, but I'm all about choice. I'm going to hold out hope that you'll want to use our Laura by the time you see it :).

I've been picking and choosing from a wide range with regards to references for the artists. Funnily enough, many of my favorite images of Laura specifically are fan art. Let's chat over DM, it sounds to me like you have some thoughts on the matter!
On more question: Are you making your own game page any time soon? Just want to make sure to follow when it's up!

ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
On more question: Are you making your own game page any time soon? Just want to make sure to follow when it's up!
The best place to go for now is the Expanded Mod Discord! Despite posting on here tonight, I'd rather not spend a lot of time managing a page.

Reactions: mp82rw

leathermax

Feb 10, 2019
So, Ron, now that you're here, I'd like to ask you, what are you planning to do with the story? Is it gonna be optional, very focused on, perhaps? Will some stuff we already have in the base game (eg: sex with Jean, unlocking Jubes, raising Rogue's resistance, becoming couple with Emma, etc.) be locked behind X story requirement, or will those story bits offer extra stuff?

Abysssnake

Mar 11, 2018
ron is it maybe possible to finish the mod somehow? emma sex is unfortunately still missing i'm worried that i might not like the new models i don't want to miss my emma and kitty. that's why i love them so much.
look at my profile picture that's the face what i do when emma and kitty striping in front of me.

ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
So, Ron, now that you're here, I'd like to ask you, what are you planning to do with the story? Is it gonna be optional, very focused on, perhaps? Will some stuff we already have in the base game (eg: sex with Jean, unlocking Jubes, raising Rogue's resistance, becoming couple with Emma, etc.) be locked behind X story requirement, or will those story bits offer extra stuff?
The narrative structure is written out like this:

There is a "main" plot that shapes the game world. Things will be happening in the background/alongside your exploration of the school and the development of your relationships with the characters - how much you choose to interact with the story vs. laser focusing on seducing every single character is kind of up to you, but these story events will provide lots of opportunities to build up your rapport your with the characters. It's possible that some characters will be unlocked as the main plot develops - that's going to be a case-by-case situation and will most likely be used for villainous characters.

Then there are independent, parallel character arcs that develop your specific relationships. This is more like the examples you've given: it's how you'll unlock major milestones in each relationship.

Just in case you're wondering, we aren't keen on endings, and we're also going to keep away from plots that block off certain characters. You'll be able to keep playing in the world as long as you want.

ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
ron is it maybe possible to finish the mod somehow? emma sex is unfortunately still missing i'm worried that i might not like the new models i don't want to miss my emma and kitty. that's why i love them so much.
look at my profile picture that's the face what i do when emma and kitty striping in front of me.
Two things:

1. The issue with "finishing" Chonky Mod is that it takes so many of the core game systems and upends them, such that it's difficult to imagine an end state for it that isn't effectively a new game. That's why the mod is so buggy: it would be like if I went into a house that had been built one room at a time by different architects and tried to make it all look contiguous. You don't get very far without destroying a lot of the existing structure.

2. I really, really don't like most of the animations that aren't finished in Chonky Mod. Let's be honest, what fraction of Oni's animations are actually good? The standing sprites, Rogue and Kitty's various poses, and...? It's hard for me to justify dedicating time to the existing art and animations. I've spent too many hours staring at Jubilee's soulless eyes blinking at me while refining the animation code. That's why I started commissioning artists.

If you really don't like the new art but are keen on playing with new mechanics, then you should hold out for the drag-drop mods.

BishopSec

Feb 28, 2021

Few things I'd love to see:
- Tighter abs on Laura (or at least an option for tighter abs)
- Recoloring (on hair, pubes, clothes and even lips, maybe nails but don't care much for nails)
- For the love of god tanning with some tanlines options
- More piercings (lips, nose, belly, etc)
- Some r63 girls? (cyclops, nightcrawler, etc)
- Some kind of progression, like missions or something and hopefully optional (so those who dont care about it dont get tied by it)
- No frog sex pose please

And good luck with the project, I really hope it succeeds, the stuff you were doing on the mod was pretty nice

Buttholder

Feb 25, 2022
So is it still going to be based primarily on the Evolution artstyle? For me, the primary draw of the base game is that it's based on one of my favourite shows of the 90s/00s and Evo Rogue's design makes her one the Best Girls of All Time. Losing that would be losing a big chunk of what interests me about the game, and probably a large number of the game's fans in general - goes without saying, but, with all the available alternate versions available, Oni chose the Evolution setting for a very specific reason.

Dirty_Dan

Jun 16, 2017
I think it is a very wise thing to be wary of new projects with ambitious goals. It's important to keep your expectations measured, as even best intentions don't always pan out.
You know what? More power to you.

A lot of us have been banging the same drum about certain aspects of the game and if this is what it takes to get the functionality and content we've been asking for for a couple of years now, so be it. I'm interested in seeing the art style for this new game. I'm sure I'll be fine with it either way, but it'll be nice to see if it can stand out enough from Oni's art, while still being somewhat reminiscent.

Jun 5, 2022
One thing I don't like is how you're basically "locked in" on certain actions when you're in your room lowering their addiction score. Can't go from in the middle of making out to touching them unless you go the long way of stopping altogether and then continuing when/if she asks for more.

Last edited:
Reactions: splamo and bmab

leathermax

Feb 10, 2019
The narrative structure is written out like this:

There is a "main" plot that shapes the game world. Things will be happening in the background/alongside your exploration of the school and the development of your relationships with the characters - how much you choose to interact with the story vs. laser focusing on seducing every single character is kind of up to you, but these story events will provide lots of opportunities to build up your rapport your with the characters. It's possible that some characters will be unlocked as the main plot develops - that's going to be a case-by-case situation and will most likely be used for villainous characters.

Then there are independent, parallel character arcs that develop your specific relationships. This is more like the examples you've given: it's how you'll unlock major milestones in each relationship.

Just in case you're wondering, we aren't keen on endings, and we're also going to keep away from plots that block off certain characters. You'll be able to keep playing in the world as long as you want.
Thank you for your answer. I still don't know if I'll be into that, because some of the most quick fun I've had in the game was cheating the girl's stats to higher levels at the beginning to make them more perverted and get a more active approach from them. But anyways, I'm all around interested in your ideas for the project. Good luck(y)

Reactions: Ghostload
4.40 star(s) 145 Votes