Tool Ren'Py Extended Variable Viewer 3.00.04 - For walkthrough authors, game authors and modders

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

tsunku

Engaged Member
Nov 6, 2017
newer renpy that uses f4 ticks me off, i tried your uninstall shift +f4 on the tyrant latest ver and got the regular renpy image info thingie but it didn't uninstall 1.00 aon. and if i delete the files can't load a save game haha so what do i do now?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
newer renpy that uses f4 ticks me off, i tried your uninstall shift +f4 on the tyrant latest ver and got the regular renpy image info thingie but it didn't uninstall 1.00 aon. and if i delete the files can't load a save game haha so what do i do now?
Haven't thought about this... I'll make a quick fix that will automatically uninstall 1.00, letting you (and other people possibly stuck with the 1.00) pass over this problem.
It's over 3AM here, so I'll not do it right now, but I'll work on it tomorrow... er... well, today, but after some sleep :D I don't promise that it will be done by tomorrow night, because it will be not this easy, but it's my priority.

tsunku

Engaged Member
Nov 6, 2017
Haven't thought about this... I'll make a quick fix that will automatically uninstall 1.00, letting you (and other people possibly stuck with the 1.00) pass over this problem.
It's over 3AM here, so I'll not do it right now, but I'll work on it tomorrow... er... well, today, but after some sleep :D I don't promise that it will be done by tomorrow night, because it will be not this easy, but it's my priority.
cool! thanks! btw i love this tool first saw it in second happiness and used it wherever i could heh makes the variables so much easier to find when some lists are so disorganized.
only future thing i can think that would make it better is if you could edit variables with it. but for all i know that might be impossible.. anyways thanks for looking into that, i hope you find an easy fix so i can upgrade it to the latest version.

Passion3D

Modder
Nov 10, 2017
Woaaaa if I had found this earlier, it would have greatly facilitated the work for my MOD :)

thank you very much

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
anyways thanks for looking into that, i hope you find an easy fix so i can upgrade it to the latest version.
I haven't forgot you. How to say this without looking too much like a fool ?
My main computer died, which delayed me but also put a lot of computer pieces in the room. So, when come the time to find the USB key where I use to backup my code, and which also have the older versions of it... Well, it take me way too much time that I'm ready to confess, to find it.
But I finally found it few days ago, and I'm working on your problem right now.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Extended Variable Viewer 1.x remover

If you haven't switched to the version 2.x of this tool, before your favorite game switch to the version 6.99.14, or a higher version, of Ren'py, it will be impossible to manually remove the tool. This will lead to the impossibility to use your previous save files.
To correct this, you'll have to follow these steps :

1. Download the 'AONvve1remover.zip' file, attached to this message ;
  2. Install the content of the archive in the game directory ;
  3. If you use a fresh install of the game itself, also install the version 1.x of this tool ;
  4. Keep a backup copy of your save files, just in case ;
  5. Run the game ;
  6. Load a save ;
  7. Wait few seconds, for the remover to finish its task ;
  8. Save the, now clean, game ;
  9. Repeat points 6 to 8 for each significant save file you want to clean ;
  10. Close the game ;
  11. Install the latest version of this tool.

I'm really sorry for this not-this-easy way to clean your save files. It was my first advanced mod, and at this time I still had a lot of things to learn. It wasn't a problem since the tool can uninstall itself... until Ren'py started to use the same keys than the tool.
Because of computer problems, I haven't been able to perform deep tests. It shouldn't have any problems, but don't hesitate to tell it if, somehow, it don't works for you.

Note that since the version 2.x, this tool is now completely transparent for Ren'py and always keep you save files clean. This also apply for any future tool and/or mod I'll make.

Thanks to @tsunku for pointing out the problem.

adevilsee

Mar 25, 2018
Thank you, I haven't tired yet but it looks like this is what i have been looking for. Are you able to access the variable names (where it shows the memory address to a store) using regular console? e.g. character.money ? I havent really touched python at all, and if you could I was wondering how? is it a linked list or a property of a class?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Are you able to access the variable names (where it shows the memory address to a store) using regular console?
It's an object attribute/variable, so you simply address it by "objectName.attributeName". By example, to know the actual version of Ren'py, which is stored inside the "version" attribute of the "config" object, just type :
Code:
config.version

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
not working with this game ver 0.7
Yeah, it's because of the incest patch :( Both it and my tool branch themselves on the "start" label, and Ren'py don't like it at all. Theoretically, the solution is simple, but it create another problem which, this time, broke Ren'py. So I still need to work on this thing. And I also need to have time for this, which isn't exactly the case actually :( But well, at least it prove that I done my part well. It's my tool which stop to works, neither the game nor the other mod.
It's on the todo list, with the save on a file and the possibility to customize the style. With chance it will be implemented before the end of the month, but I also need to validate all the changes in my main utilities. Adding to it many things was great and let me do a lot of new things, but it more than time that I ensure that it will never broke a game and really works whatever the (supported) version of Ren'py, whatever its future update and whatever can effectively happen if the game is wrote in a weird way.

This said, you don't need the variable viewer for this update. It almost not touch the variables and the only things not shown is a "sispervbro += 1" when you decide to spank the sister.

Reactions: 3xd_tango and bas

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
Yeah, it's because of the incest patch :( Both it and my tool branch themselves on the "start" label, and Ren'py don't like it at all. Theoretically, the solution is simple, but it create another problem which, this time, broke Ren'py. So I still need to work on this thing. And I also need to have time for this, which isn't exactly the case actually :( But well, at least it prove that I done my part well. It's my tool which stop to works, neither the game nor the other mod.
It's on the todo list, with the save on a file and the possibility to customize the style. With chance it will be implemented before the end of the month, but I also need to validate all the changes in my main utilities. Adding to it many things was great and let me do a lot of new things, but it more than time that I ensure that it will never broke a game and really works whatever the (supported) version of Ren'py, whatever its future update and whatever can effectively happen if the game is wrote in a weird way.

This said, you don't need the variable viewer for this update. It almost not touch the variables and the only things not shown is a "sispervbro += 1" when you decide to spank the sister.
I blame myself :(

Davox

Jul 15, 2017
Is it possible to change the variable from within the viewer? or do i have to find the variable in the viewer then manually type it into the console?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I blame myself :(
You don't have to. I should have thought about this kind of problem way before it happen... Well, to be honest it's more like, "I shouldn't have been lazy and expected that I still have all my time to ensure that it will never happen". :D
Anyway, it's the responsibility of the tool to works on top of everything. Your mod just have to works on top of the game, nothing else. And it do it well.

Is it possible to change the variable from within the viewer? or do i have to find the variable in the viewer then manually type it into the console?
It's just a "viewer" and will always be.
Variables are tricky with Ren'py, especially because of the way this tool works, so I prefer to let Ren'py directly deal with them. Technically speaking it's possible to let you change them directly, but it come with a price: There's no guaranty that the change will still apply once you close the tool's screen.
In most of the case, everything will works great, but I don't want to let the exception exist. Not everyone using it are modder/coder, so the easier it stay, the better it is.
I'll perhaps (understand: If I find a way) implement a way to easily copy a variable name onto the console, but that's all I'll do regarding this part.

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
You don't have to. I should have thought about this kind of problem way before it happen... Well, to be honest it's more like, "I shouldn't have been lazy and expected that I still have all my time to ensure that it will never happen". :D
Anyway, it's the responsibility of the tool to works on top of everything. Your mod just have to works on top of the game, nothing else. And it do it well.
Of course it does it well, you taught me how to do it!!!!!! :)

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Alright, some words to tell you than I didn't forget about this tool.

Working for a small local society have its advantages... except when the said society have a big project to achieve and everybody, boss included, turn into code monkeys. In short, I didn't really had free time the last few months, and the few I had, I didn't really felt like writing lines of code since it already was what I did every single second of the day.
But, yes I don't forget this tool. I'm still working on it, even if lately it was more in my mind than everything else. I'll go on holidays next week, and when I return I should have enough time to effectively work on it.

I don't know how many time it will need, since I'll have to redo the whole viewer's interface, but I've probably found a workaround which will let you do something near to "copy this to the console". I'll also add more customization (font, color and size), to the viewer and to the configuration interface ; and think of a way to make this also available via a configuration file for those who want to keep the configuration from a game to another. Then I'll start to works on the "save on file" feature.
In the same time, I'll add the attributes stored in __slots__ and not just in __dict__. To my knowledge, there's not a single game which use it, but still it's not a reason to not use check it.

I'm also searching a way to deal with object which aren't stored directly in an attribute/variable but in a list or a dict. At first I found it useless since, for 95% of the games, the object is firstly stored in a variable, then added to the list/dict. But then I crossed a game which don't do like this and felt frustrated because of this, so... :D
This said, it's really not an easy thing, I can't just pass through the list/dict, I also need to keep a copy of the object to address it more easily, and also split the values displayed to make them clickable independently of the rest of the list/dict. And all this will increase the interactive elements displayed on the screen, making it more slower than it can already be when a lot of data are displayed.
So, I also probably have to find a way to alternate between interactive/not interactive, to work around this problem... I've an headache just writing it and don't guaranty that it will be effectively implement one day.

Well, it was more than just "some words"... Sorry for the month without update and good holidays to those who've this chance.

Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
I found “mc_name=“ how do I change it and am I even looking at the right thing to change the name?

Davox

Jul 15, 2017
I found “mc_name=“ how do I change it and am I even looking at the right thing to change the name?
This tool highlights what the variables are and which ones have changed you need to use the console to you need to change the variable. Press shift+o to open the console. Then type mc_name=Soccergod in the console and press return.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
This tool highlights what the variables are and which ones have changed you need to use the console to you need to change the variable. Press shift+o to open the console. Then type mc_name=Soccergod in the console and press return.
Just a little correction, you forgot the quotation mark. The right syntax is :
Code:
mc_name="Soccergod"
Did that and still nothing

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes