Tool Ren'Py Extended Variable Viewer 3.00.04 - For walkthrough authors, game authors and modders

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Code:
[...]
KeyError: u"Ren'Py"
[...]
  File "F:\!Adult Games\!Ren'Py\[Ren'Py] Second Happiness [v1.8] [Vnorth]\renpy\python.py", line 1641, in py_exec_bytecode
Alright, found and corrected. I've updated OP with the 2.04.01 version that should correct the problem.
While I was doing bug correction, please @thanks for the demos , did this version have now right sized space for the previous values ?

No other change for now. Sorry, for the style configuration you'll have to wait a little more, it imply a lot of testing that I'm far to have finished yet.

Aug 7, 2018
Alright, found and corrected. I've updated OP with the 2.04.01 version that should correct the problem.
While I was doing bug correction, please @thanks for the demos , did this version have now right sized space for the previous values ?

No other change for now. Sorry, for the style configuration you'll have to wait a little more, it imply a lot of testing that I'm far to have finished yet.
Yes, it fits perfectly. Thanks!

DragonWrath

Donor
Jun 17, 2017

Thank you! It works perfectly now and like a dream :FeelsGoodMan: ... Although I feel I may need to point out that when I tried it in corruption, I ran into a little issue in that I happen to ALSO use your mod for that game yet when I bring up the mod options "main menu" for the mods (shift+home/*), the mod for Corruption was red and acting like it would no longer work. Just thought I'd give you a heads up as that was one of the games I tested the new version for the tool on.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
the mod for Corruption was red and acting like it would no longer work. Just thought I'd give you a heads up as that was one of the games I tested the new version for the tool on.
Yeah it's a little conflict because the version of the configuration screen are not the same in both. Normally it's not a problem at all, I wrote it to be compatible whatever the version. But I anticipated the future works on the style and it broke the compatibility.
Then came the last update of Corruption... that needed no update of my mods and I forgot about this :( The next version come out the 10, I'll release a new version of the mod at this occasion. It will add few change to the mod itself (the so asked "please let us change the day") and it will also correct this incompatibility.

Reactions: Palanto

DragonWrath

Donor
Jun 17, 2017
Yeah it's a little conflict because the version of the configuration screen are not the same in both. Normally it's not a problem at all, I wrote it to be compatible whatever the version. But I anticipated the future works on the style and it broke the compatibility.
Then came the last update of Corruption... that needed no update of my mods and I forgot about this :( The next version come out the 10, I'll release a new version of the mod at this occasion. It will add few change to the mod itself (the so asked "please let us change the day") and it will also correct this incompatibility.
Alright, that works for me and glad you already know the issue and how to fix it. There's no rush for me as I've already played/"finished" (current version) or at least extremely close so I'm good for the time being. Thank you again for fixing this particular tool though, I really appreciate that :D.

TheMann421

May 13, 2017
I think I've run into a few bugs here, they might be independent. I've been using an older version from June and tried to apply to , then when starting the game was faced with this error

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/AONvve.rpy", line 33, in script
    init 999 python:
  File "game/AONvve.rpy", line 34, in <module>
    import AONvve2
ImportError: No module named AONvve2

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/AONvve.rpy", line 33, in script
    init 999 python:
  File "F:\Games\DDGame-0.35.0-pc\DDGame-0.35.0-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 862, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "F:\Games\DDGame-0.35.0-pc\DDGame-0.35.0-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1888, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/AONvve.rpy", line 34, in <module>
    import AONvve2
ImportError: No module named AONvve2

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.14.3.3347
Deviant Discoveries 0.35.0
Thu Nov 29 14:56:08 2018

So I thought maybe I should check the variable viewer for an update. I deleted the AON files from the \game folder, and extracted the newest version of the variable viewer (2.04.01) then was given a straight to tradeback crash (exe doesn't run)

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
Exception: Could not load from archive AONutils.rpyc.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "F:\Games\DDGame-0.35.0-pc\DDGame-0.35.0-pc\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 306, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "F:\Games\DDGame-0.35.0-pc\DDGame-0.35.0-pc\renpy\main.py", line 357, in main
    renpy.game.script.load_script()  # sets renpy.game.script.
  File "F:\Games\DDGame-0.35.0-pc\DDGame-0.35.0-pc\renpy\script.py", line 266, in load_script
    self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
  File "F:\Games\DDGame-0.35.0-pc\DDGame-0.35.0-pc\renpy\script.py", line 665, in load_appropriate_file
    raise Exception("Could not load from archive %s." % (lastfn,))
Exception: Could not load from archive AONutils.rpyc.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.14.3.3347

Thu Nov 29 15:01:44 2018
Looking deeper into it, there is no AONutils.rpyc file in the 2.04.01 version? Is this missing or is it just an old file and I broke the game by installing the old version of the variable viewer and manually uninstalling.

I restored the AONutils.rpyc file from the old version that I deleted and it went back to the first error. :(

EDIT: I got a fresh copy of the game and attempted to install the variable viewer again, which produced Error #2. I believe the AONutils.rpyc file is missing from the download.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018
Looking deeper into it, there is no AONutils.rpyc file in the 2.04.01 version? Is this missing or is it just an old file and I broke the game by installing the old version of the variable viewer and manually uninstalling.

I restored the AONutils.rpyc file from the old version that I deleted and it went back to the first error. :(

EDIT: I got a fresh copy of the game and attempted to install the variable viewer again, which produced Error #2. I believe the AONutils.rpyc file is missing from the download.

You'll find AONutils.pyo in the AON-packages folder. To install the mod it's easiest to just copy the mod's entire "game" folder and merge it with the respective game's "game" folder.

It should contain: AON.rpa, AONvve.rpy and the AON-packages subfolder, which in turn contains AONmc.pyo, AONutils.pyo and AONvv2.pyo

Hope this helps

EDIT: just saw you're talking about the .rpyc, not the .pyo. My bad, you'll probably have to wait for anne O'nymous to take a look at it

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I think I've run into a few bugs here, they might be independent. I've been using an older version from June and tried to apply to , then when starting the game was faced with this error
Sorry, I need to say it and since it's past midnight here, I can't scream it for real :
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So, now that I'm more peaceful, the issue don't come directly from the tool, but from the game. The author changed something directly in Ren'py, with the false idea that it will secure his source code.
The problem is that it change how Ren'py recognize a valid "rpyc" file, making regular one (here the "AONutils.rpyc" file located in the "AON.rpa" archive) unreadable.

Now come my dilemma :
  • If I put both the "AONutils.rpy" and "AONutils.rpyc" files in the archive, Ren'py will not care about the "rpy" one and still crash ;
  • If I put just the "AONutils.rpy" file in the archive, Ren'py will do something stupid and crash because it don't find the AONvve2 module ;
  • If I put the AONutils.rpy file outside of the "AON.rpa" archive, it will make yet another file to take care, and so yet another possibility to make an error while installing the tool.

Well, the last solution is the only one which don't have "crash" in it, so it's the one I'll apply... but not right now. I'm not peaceful enough to make the few change I'll need for this.
I'll do it tomorrow and update a version that will works even with stupids devs...

Edit: Or... I move one line from AONutils.rpy to AONvve.rpy and it should works... Well, yes, tomorrow, I'm really not peaceful enough right now !

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Alright, there's no other possibilities than moving AONutils.rpy outside of the AON.rpa archive.
Sorry @TheMann421 , you'll have to wait few more days. I need to change the code that uninstall the tool and to test it... And like I have some a 39°C fever right now, I'll do it slowly to be sure that I didn't forgot something.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Done, I updated OP with a corrected version.

Like it wasn't explicitly an update of the tool itself, and it correct a problem that can happen only with two, perhaps three games, I kept the version number. There's no need to download this new version unless you encounter the same problem than @TheMann421 .

Shane2

Jul 3, 2018
Alright, one week less few hours later, it's done.

............................................. after more than 250 games used as test,
i know this is 1.5 years late [lol], but DAMN!, if you are still testing 250+ games in a week (as a non-paid hobby nonetheless), i feel you desperately need to slow down/rest...we ALL love everything you do, i personally haven't seen any other coder here who understands Renpy like you do, but i fear you might burn-up and we'll lose all your priceless/invaluable wisdom...

not "sucking-up" as they say, but said with utmost respect..

Take care..

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
i know this is 1.5 years late [lol], but DAMN!, if you are still testing 250+ games in a week
Thanks for your concern. I reassure you, I don't test anymore with more than 250 games.
It was needed at this time, to ensure that everything worked with every possible games and every covered versions of Ren'py. But now I'm more aware about the possible tricks and I have less than 40 games for my tests. One for each major covered version of Ren'py and some that tend to be a problem or have a particularity. By example, I found one that is entirely wrote in English... and in the same time is translated to English. It's stupid to do this, still someone did it, and you can't imagine how far it messed with my tool :(

i personally haven't seen any other coder here who understands Renpy like you do,
I'm not the only one here. @Rich and @Palanto , by example, have a good knowledge of Ren'py. That's what I like here, we complement ourselves and there's rarely an author left without answer to his question/problem.

Reactions: Shane2 and Palanto

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Thanks for your concern. I reassure you, I don't test anymore with more than 250 games.
It was needed at this time, to ensure that everything worked with every possible games and every covered versions of Ren'py. But now I'm more aware about the possible tricks and I have less than 40 games for my tests. One for each major covered version of Ren'py and some that tend to be a problem or have a particularity. By example, I found one that is entirely wrote in English... and in the same time is translated to English. It's stupid to do this, still someone did it, and you can't imagine how far it messed with my tool :(

I'm not the only one here. @Rich and @Palanto , by example, have a good knowledge of Ren'py. That's what I like here, we complement ourselves and there's rarely an author left without answer to his question/problem.

Thanks for the flowers, but I'm still pretty much an amateur :D

Hahaha I guess that someone thought, why should the proofreader just proofread it and I fix the typos? He can just fix them "while" proofreading in the translation file *rofl*

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Hahaha I guess that someone thought, why should the proofreader just proofread it and I fix the typos? He can just fix them "while" proofreading in the translation file *rofl*
I never found the courage to compare the two versions ; probably some fear to find that they are all the exact same sentences :D But at least it had the advantage to force me to have a stronger support for translations.

TheMann421

May 13, 2017
Thank you for addressing the issue. Sorry that devs can get so protective of their games. It's silly.

If I buy a book, I can go read the last chapter and ruin the book. That's my choice, I paid for it. No author is going to go out and release their book one page at a time to force you to read it in order. Game devs shouldn't go about trying to control how people play the game. We're all just touching our dicks anyways. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Man i just get from the winrar archive the Game folder win AON files i dont get any other files
Sorry, I had a rude morning, and don't clearly understand what you mean. Are you saying that you don't have all the following files :
  • game
    • AON-packages
      • AONmc.pyo
      • AONutils.pyo
      • AONvve2.pyo
    • AON.rpa
    • AONutils.rpy
    • AONvve.rpy

Reactions: Hiddink11

Hiddink11

Nov 7, 2018
Sorry, I had a rude morning, and don't clearly understand what you mean. Are you saying that you don't have all the following files :
  • game
    • AON-packages
      • AONmc.pyo
      • AONutils.pyo
      • AONvve2.pyo
    • AON.rpa
    • AONutils.rpy
    • AONvve.rpy
man i didnt know the keys combination XD is all solved thanks a lot and fap more and be happy the mornings

bstr2k2

Sep 27, 2017
oh man ... this tool is so handy when debugging lazy dev´s code and fixing variables or code passages ... it´s good not having to wait for someone to fix stuff when one can do it him-/her-self.
thx anne!

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes