Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Save Editor [v1.6.1] [Last Moment]

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes

johnthedoe

Jun 27, 2017
Thank you @johnthedoe for your kind reply, i will try as much as i can to make a progress tracking including upcoming features, inprogress features, estimated release time.

The new release is almost ready, hopefully will release it tomorrow
I hate to probe, but it is clear that it has been a while since the last update. Given that an update is urgently required, I would like to request at least some degree of confirmation that this project is not abandoned, or if that is in fact the case.

As much as it has forced a dependency on saveeditonline, that site restricts things behind paywalls and I don't really feel well having to give credit to an individual that wants to charge for editing a free file type of a free engine. While I appreciate the service and understand that they have their reasons, my stance is nevertheless as mentioned. Especially if this project can provide the same convenience and a good community too.
That might just be my simple-mindedness. To each their own.

Nevertheless, thank you for your time and consideration.

Dave3518

Nov 5, 2017
i been playing Teachers Pets V2.061-win i checked game been looking same numbers in game they don't match up i got no idea why i was using
RenPy V1-6 Save Editor.exe for a long time now RenPy V1-6-1 Save Editor.exe i can find what im looking for but i change it its not saved properly in save game and nothing i can do about that

hidden_agenda

Dec 8, 2018
i been playing Teachers Pets V2.061-win i checked game been looking same numbers in game they don't match up i got no idea why i was using
RenPy V1-6 Save Editor.exe for a long time now RenPy V1-6-1 Save Editor.exe i can find what im looking for but i change it its not saved properly in save game and nothing i can do about that
There may be two reasons depending on which save you're editing and loading.
If you're loading the save created in the games folder and not loading the save after the changes.
If you're loading the save but not cleaning out the saves in your windows default path (%appdata%\renpy), it'll load the ones only from the renpy folder and not the edited one.

Nelix171

Apr 10, 2020
Thanks. It helped with needing to edit the name of the main character in a game that I had to get a download of a save from. The update, for some reason deleted my previous saves. All sorted now though.

Reactions: luisar018

kcmcgill75

May 28, 2021
Anything For Android ??

As far as I can judge, for integers it's correct. But there's now some weird problems.
Before to continue a precision, I voluntary used a saved file containing some of my own tools variables. I did this because I know that it will add objects to the save file even if they are no object normally saved by the game. I clearly understood that for now you focus on integers, and that objects will give a weird result, that what I wanted to see, how weird it is.

On the positive side, like I said all integer values I have checked are correct. And on game with integer only it works fine. On the negative side, once there's more than integers, you've variables seen twice :
View attachment 39185
I'm not sure at 100%, but apparently all the variables prefixed with "store." are seen twice, once with the prefix and once without it.
Normally the prefix is useless since "store" is the default store and so variables don't need to be prefixed in regular scripts. Still, when used from an external python script or another store, the prefix is needed.
I can't confirm that it's that, but it looks like the prefixed variables were the ones I checked at some time in the console. But I don't know why are they saved twice.

Objects introduce a really weird behavior in the editor. Apparently at some time it stop correctly keeping track of the position and start to see as variable's names things that clearly aren't :
View attachment 39186

All this said, seen from my point of view, this version is really better than the previous one. The save file I used for the screenshots is the same that returned nothing the last time. But still you seem to take the problem from the wrong angle. Data serialized by pickle are just small programs able to recreate the data structures and their content. So once you understood which opcode mean what, a bunch of "if opcode == this, do that" is enough to deserialize the data. Don't see your editor as something that read data, but as your own interpreter for programs wrote by the pickle module. And for the save part, it your own compiler which write the programs.

For this, you can look directly at the module source code to find the opcode, or use a real small ren'py code. Something really simple like :
Code:
label start:
$ a = 10
$ b = 11
"Please, save now."
This way you'll find the correct opcodes for "this variable is named 'a' and its content is '10'", and you can confirm that it's right if the same thing also mean "this variable is named 'b' and its content is '11'". Then you change your code and assign the string "abc" instead of "10", and "def" instead of "11", which will give you new opcodes. In the same time, you should normally found the opcode meaning "it's the end for this structure", which should help you jump unknown opcodes.
I think that anyway you'll have to use the small Ren'py code at one time, since Ren'py add some parasitic data.

Side note: For the thread edition, the decision must come from the staff, but I think you deserve the "modder" flag.

Reactions: luisar018

c1ar3

Aug 5, 2017
What's the error message? Could you also try tutorial?
I don't get an error, When I try launching the program, nothing happens. Thank you for the tutorial, I have tried installing some of the dotnet's. Some work, some return with a SHA256 mismatch (which is a winetricks sort of bug I think), and some dotnets are broken with the current version of wine (such as 4.5 which is the one I think I need). I do use an online editor which works fine so its not a big deal if I can't get it to work, was just hoping to try this to see if it is better. Thank you for your time and help though, I do appreciate it.

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes