Ren'Py Renpy games crashing on startup

Fander4

Jun 7, 2021
g
Isn't it strange how NVIDIA cards fail to use OpenGL and players have to switch to ANGLE renderer?! :unsure:

The release note for driver version 471.96 for the GTX 1080 state that OpenGL 4.6 is supported. So, could it be a configuration issue in Windows or NVIDIA Control Panel?
Brother you just saved my life there, was trying to play some Lust Academy and game was crashing on startup when I saw that comment I that mine was on auto and most likely opening on OpenGL and i changed to Angle and worked.
You sir just saved every game I hava installed!

But I also find it weird that this happened out of the blue cuz i've been playing on auto and now I need to change every game to Angle

Celestial Novel

I Gave My Life To My Game
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2022
Hello,

from a few days, like 2-3 for some reason most of the renpy games started to crash either at start up or after few steps into the game itself.

The last thing I remember installing was the latest nVidia drivers, can't remember anything else new to be installed lately.

Errors are all kind of, most of the time always different ones, here is one for example:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 100, in script
    menu:
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'display_reset'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 100, in script
    menu:
  File "E:\_________NEW\___NEW\HeroineAdventures2_v14-pc-002\HeroineAdventures2-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1903, in execute
    choice = renpy.exports.menu(choices, self.set, args, kwargs, item_arguments)
  File "E:\_________NEW\___NEW\HeroineAdventures2_v14-pc-002\HeroineAdventures2-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1010, in menu
    rv = renpy.store.menu(new_items)
  File "E:\_________NEW\___NEW\HeroineAdventures2_v14-pc-002\HeroineAdventures2-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1250, in display_menu
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='menu', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "E:\_________NEW\___NEW\HeroineAdventures2_v14-pc-002\HeroineAdventures2-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 299, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "E:\_________NEW\___NEW\HeroineAdventures2_v14-pc-002\HeroineAdventures2-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3377, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, pause_modal=pause_modal, **kwargs) # type: ignore
  File "E:\_________NEW\___NEW\HeroineAdventures2_v14-pc-002\HeroineAdventures2-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3887, in interact_core
    if renpy.display.draw.update(force=self.display_reset):
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'display_reset'

Windows-10-10.0.22621 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
HeroineAdventures2 Release 14
Sun Apr 16 19:43:52 2023
I have installed latest Ren'Py but that did not solved the problem.

Could this new graphic driver somehow screw up renpy? Any tips and ideas how to try fix the problem? Maybe like return the previous graphic drivers?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I just switched to the previous graphic driver, nothing changed. Again errors and crashes in almost every single game. Another errors:

"AttributeError: 'renpy.gl2.gl2draw.GL2Draw' object has no attribute 'renpy'"

"While running game code:
TypeError: 'bool' object is not callable"

I tried to play on another win 11 separate SSD, same results. Tried on a 3rd SSD with a win 10, there I could play 1-2 mins and then starting to get again same all kind of errors...
By any chance have you fixed this problem? I have this problem too since around 1 month ago. I even reinstalled my Windows but it does not fix it. Also I notice this error happen only with game created by renpy 8.0.3

Fander4

Jun 7, 2021
yes all you have to do is click the executable and hold shift you then go into a setting modes, you will then select the angle2 renderer. The reason is something about for not working with other renderers probably as something to do with geforce i don't rebember. But just press the executable and hold shift and go with angle2

Celestial Novel

Game Developer
Jun 3, 2022
yes all you have to do is click the executable and hold shift you then go into a setting modes, you will then select the angle2 renderer. The reason is something about for not working with other renderers probably as something to do with geforce i don't rebember. But just press the executable and hold shift and go with angle2
I have done that, still crashes....

Fander4

Jun 7, 2021
That's weird, it worked on me, maybe try another renderer if not I recommend cleaning yours windows or before that seek help from another person.
Hope you can find a fix and continue your jorney here

Reactions: Celestial Novel

Celestial Novel

Game Developer
Jun 3, 2022
That's weird, it worked on me, maybe try another renderer if not I recommend cleaning yours windows or before that seek help from another person.
Hope you can find a fix and continue your jorney here
Check this: https://f95zone.to/threads/all-renpy-games-crash-on-startup.118019/
However, your issue is most likely an outdated/faulty driver. Update your drivers as suggested within that thread as well.
So I tried with angle2renderer method again and this time I changed the fps to 60 and it worked, thanks guys. Before that I lower my ddr5 RAM speed from 6000 MHz to 4800 MHz too though because these days I often get crashes from rendering.