Ren'Py Renpy games crashing on startup

ChaosXD

May 21, 2017
Hello. I have been having a problem with some renpy games. When I try to open them they close immediately, like they show up for a second in the taskbar and then closes it, or it gives me an error. It doesn't happen with the majority of games, just a few but it is bugging me because I know the games work and in the threads of the games they don't appear to have the same issue as me. So far there are 2 games where I have this problem, Paprika Trainer (https://f95zone.to/threads/paprika-trainer-v1-1-0-4-exiscoming.31018/) and Runaway Princess (https://f95zone.to/threads/runaway-princess-v0-3-final-mobumgames.68151/). I haven't found a fix neither here or online. I don't know if they have special plugins or something that I can't run for some reason. If some know how to fix this I would be grateful

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
It gives you an error? Would you be kind enough to share it with us? My crystal ball is getting polished ATM and I can't seem to get a good contact to read your mind telepathically. :rolleyes:

There's a log file in the main folder of each failing game, named log.txt and there also could be a traceback.txt (not necessarily). Attach them to your next message.

BTW, Renpy has no "plugins" as such.

• Haha
Reactions: Carpe Stultus

Guntag

Donor
May 3, 2017
Try to launch the games as admin. Also check if your antivirus isn't blocking these games for some reason.

ChaosXD

May 21, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This is the only log I get, and I think that is a default log with every game, but I can be wrong. Unfortunately I cant share the a screen shot of the error but it says, Runawayprincess.exe stopped working. And with Paprika Trainer it doesn't show any error at all, it just closes.

Akeymu

Jan 22, 2020
I know what this is its an OS error I had that as well. It would start up and then just show a blank whit screen with an error message, or the game would start up all the way tocthe main menu where all the options where shown as some blurred out illegible mess.

My good friend Paz made a fix for this let me know if this works for you, all you have to do is add this into the game folder. It's generally games that are renpy 7.4.3 and newer for me. I was working a windows 8.1 OS

ChaosXD

May 21, 2017
I know what this is its an OS error I had that as well. It would start up and then just show a blank whit screen with an error message, or the game would start up all the way tocthe main menu where all the options where shown as some blurred out illegible mess.

My good friend Paz made a fix for this let me know if this works for you, all you have to do is add this into the game folder. It's generally games that are renpy 7.4.3 and newer for me. I was working a windows 8.1 OS
Yep, that fix the issue in both games. Thank you so much.

Reactions: Akeymu

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I know what this is its an OS error I had that as well.
No, the fix you attached is not related to an OS error, it's not even an error by itself.
It's a video card obsolescence issue, your video card and/or its drivers are too old for Ren'py to use the rendered added in its latest version.

Reactions: GaRbS and Akeymu

Akeymu

Jan 22, 2020
No, the fix you attached is not related to an OS error, it's not even an error by itself.
It's a video card obsolescence issue, your video card and/or its drivers are too old for Ren'py to use the rendered added in its latest version.
Oh OK, ya it was old to lol, now I know better thank you

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
g
Isn't it strange how NVIDIA cards fail to use OpenGL and players have to switch to ANGLE renderer?! :unsure:

The release note for driver version 471.96 for the GTX 1080 state that OpenGL 4.6 is supported. So, could it be a configuration issue in Windows or NVIDIA Control Panel?

Reactions: Fander4

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Isn't it strange how NVIDIA cards fail to use OpenGL and players have to switch to ANGLE renderer?! :unsure:
Yes and no. I don't took effective note of the numbers, but it feel like in most thread on this part of the forum, the time the issue have been solved by an update of the driver. And this is already less strange. I mean, who really keep the drivers up to date ?
Add to this that buying a computer, or even just the video card, today don't imply that you'll not have an 1 year old driver, because "the fuck we will not update our installation DVD every two months, so deal with it".

So, could it be a configuration issue in Windows or NVIDIA Control Panel?
It's possible that Direct X (yet something that few keep up to date) play a small role here, by being too outdated in comparison of the GPU driver. But as far as my old knowledge regarding OS is still accurate, it's the only possibility coming from the OS ; assuming that Direct X is a part of the OS, what is as true as it is false.

TheshadowofH

May 24, 2021

i had the same problem as chaos, try your friends fix and it worked. thank to the both of yous.

The Breadman

Oct 12, 2017
Hi
I wonder if anyone can help me with a similar problem (I think!)
This relates to recent versions of Doll City (1.0 & 0.12), previous versions ran OK, but these get as far as a white screen with the game logo in the top left corner. After a few seconds the white screen disappears. I've attached the most recent log and traceback files View attachment log.txt View attachment traceback.txt which is rather meaningless to me but might mean something to someone out there.....
Thanks View attachment log.txt View attachment traceback.txt

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hi
I wonder if anyone can help me with a similar problem (I think!)
This relates to recent versions of Doll City (1.0 & 0.12), previous versions ran OK, but these get as far as a white screen with the game logo in the top left corner. After a few seconds the white screen disappears. I've attached the most recent log and traceback files View attachment 1450576 View attachment 1450577 which is rather meaningless to me but might mean something to someone out there.....
Thanks View attachment 1450576 View attachment 1450577
More information are needed:
- Compressed or original game version?
- Your GPU model and driver version?
- Is your OS fully updated?

Btw. have you tried to apply this fix here or switch your renderer to ANGLE? (Graphical settings menu is accessible via Shift+g).
https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-games-crashing-on-startup.93729/post-6537989

The Breadman

Oct 12, 2017
More information are needed:
- Compressed or original game version?
- Your GPU model and driver version?
- Is your OS fully updated?

Btw. have you tried to apply this fix here or switch your renderer to ANGLE? (Graphical settings menu is accessible via Shift+g).
https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-games-crashing-on-startup.93729/post-6537989
Hi
Thanks cold_arctus for taking the time to help.

In the process of getting my answers ready for you (see below), and checking the new version of the game -IT WORKED!!!
Can it be that by changing the renderer to ANGLE on an old version, it worked for the new version?
Whatever, I'm very grateful to you for your suggestions! Thanks.

Answers (I hope) to the questions asked -
- Original game version downloaded from f95zone
- GPU = Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset family (Microsoft Corp - WDDM-1.1)
- driver version = 8.15.10.2702
- OS is fully updated.
- Yes, I have tried to apply the fix shown in this thread but no success.
- I haven't been able to access the graphical settings menu so can't select a different renderer. I did get the graphical settings menu on an old version of the game and also on other renpy games.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Can it be that by changing the renderer to ANGLE on an old version, it worked for the new version?
It's very possible because the information will then be stored in the games persistent file. You can check and compare your log files to see which render is used now.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Totally.

The first log you attached:
primary display bounds: (0, 0, 1600, 900)
swap interval: 1 frames
Using GL DLL.
Windowed mode.
Exception: glActiveTexture not found.
[Only "not found" lines]
Vendor: 'Microsoft Corporation'
Renderer: 'GDI Generic'
Version: '1.1.0'
Display Info: None
Extensions:
GL_EXT_bgra
GL_EXT_paletted_texture
GL_WIN_swap_hint
You're using the Generic GPU driver (1.1.0 being the OpenGL version, not the driver's one) that come with Windows, there's really few chance that it support the advanced API functions needed by Ren'py to use its most recent renderers.

- I haven't been able to access the graphical settings menu so can't select a different renderer. I did get the graphical settings menu on an old version of the game and also on other renpy games.
Even if you press (and maintain pressed) the SHIFT key when you launch the game .exe ?

The Breadman

Oct 12, 2017
Totally.

The first log you attached:

You're using the Generic GPU driver (1.1.0 being the OpenGL version, not the driver's one) that come with Windows, there's really few chance that it support the advanced API functions needed by Ren'py to use its most recent renderers.

Even if you press (and maintain pressed) the SHIFT key when you launch the game .exe ?
[/QUOTE
Yes that was the case on the new version of the game - there was a white window with the game logo in top left corner but only for a few seconds before disappearing. No amount of SHIFT+G brought up the menu. However now that the game is working properly, it's no problem to get the menu. Anyway, the issue for me is now solved and thanks to you both for your time and knowledge. I guess there will become a time when I'll have to buy a new laptop but until then .... Thanks again

Feb 26, 2020
i have a few games that won't even start and i checked through system security and maint. that the games crashed even though they didnt open up heres a log.txt for one of them

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
i have a few games that won't even start and i checked through system security and maint. that the games crashed even though they didnt open up heres a log.txt for one of them
The last successful step in this log is loading the script. This is early, very early.
  1. Do any Ren'Py games work on your PC? Is it even a PC?

2. Which games are you talking about, specifically?
  3. Have you played them on you PC before they started to fail?
  4. Have you added any mods or patches to these games before you tried to start them? (in case you have, you should delete the whole folder of the failing game and extract the game from the downloaded archive file again, then try to start it clean, without any additions, without attempting to unren the game. Just the way it is after extraction.)