VN Ren'Py Realm Invader [Ep. 2 P1] [Invader Gary]

4.70 star(s) 56 Votes

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
i wish the text didn't change so fast sometimes. I was trying to read them and it changed so fast that I had to scroll back so much just to read them.

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
I wish we can change the Characters names. I would change Cadence's name to Candace or something close to it.

Ka1tzer

Jan 12, 2023
I just started the game, but already have a question. Why is it that when you scan certain girls you don't get the same info as others?

With Noelle and Cadence it shows much less info than with the girls scanned previously. Cadence has her age and name only being shown, Noelle has her sexuality (and maybe age?).

Is this by design or an oversight? Seeing inconsistencies like this kinda bother me more than I thought it would.

As of writing this I have JUST met Cadence in the slave market for the first time, so I realize it's still very much in the beginning of the game. Is there a justification for these inconsistencies? Are there more inconsistencies after this point?

Reactions: Xythurr

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
Is there away to remove the ugly guy that pops up every now and then? If he's going to continue to pop up, at least put some clothes on him.

Quetzzz

Sep 29, 2023
I just started the game, but already have a question. Why is it that when you scan certain girls you don't get the same info as others?

With Noelle and Cadence it shows much less info than with the girls scanned previously. Cadence has her age and name only being shown, Noelle has her sexuality (and maybe age?).

Is this by design or an oversight? Seeing inconsistencies like this kinda bother me more than I thought it would.

As of writing this I have JUST met Cadence in the slave market for the first time, so I realize it's still very much in the beginning of the game. Is there a justification for these inconsistencies? Are there more inconsistencies after this point?
It's not really an inconsistency, our MC can decide what info he gets. If he wanted, he could query what they had for breakfast. Why he's not looking for the same information on everyone, that's another question.

Belauchet

Jan 27, 2021
Does telling Ron about Stella's incident in the alley ruin her route? or is it better in the long run?

Quetzzz

Sep 29, 2023
MidnightKing I think you described my own frustration with this game perfectly. I want to love it, I want to be immersed, but the gags break this immersion often. The game's world building tells us what's real, and what's possible, but its humor isn't consistent with it.

An example I gave in the past is Sporty Spice winning her competition. She's observed, by everyone attending, instantly winning her match. While, until then, her fast movements could be interpreted as exaggerated for comedic effect. Personally, I think episode 2 does it worse than episode 1.

Otherwise, I love this kind of absurd humor. Above the Clouds did it well, I think, its world was nonsensical and the gags fit right in. With Realm Invader, I think the dev needs to be a bit more mindful of delineating between what's real, and what's not. The gags should only be for the benefit of the player, not other characters.

Concerning LI, I'm torn between Chloe and Stella. And you're right, this is largely because they received the most characterization.
I hope that the dev manages to build up every relationship in some way, to give the player the option of whom the MC has his first time with. I think it'd be too cheap and unearned to have it be with Cadence. (Though, I couldn't blame the dev if he goes this route because it would fit with the MC's personality. He's a horny boy, at his age, I wouldn't really have cared to whom I lost my virginity to.)

Reactions: MidnightKing

Draugo

Jul 12, 2022
Quetzzz I don't see any of that as a problem. Basically from the start the "Developer" is shown as an actual character that interacts with the MC and MC all but states that it is a game. The world functions pretty much like Above the Clouds, just with a little less absurdity.

There are levels of self awareness but all of them bring the world out of consistent and into some level of absurdity. Even My New Family does some of that while My New Memories really doesn't, which shows that even if two games can have almost identical tone and style, there are still things that work only if that consistency is noticeably broken. The whole Maddie levitating or other people missing from the town thing would not work in MNM since it does not break consistency while MNF lampshades the thing and thus shows the characters at some level acknowledge being in a game. MNF never goes as far as this game with it and this game doesn't go as far as Above the Clouds, but it's all the same thing at some level.

Reactions: Hyohyo and Quetzzz

Quetzzz

Sep 29, 2023
I don't see any of that as a problem. Basically from the start the "Developer" is shown as an actual character that interacts with the MC and MC all but states that it is a game.
Personally, I don't mind the "Developer" character as much. He can still be explained away as an isekai-god who's meddling with the MC for some reason. Though, I see the MC all but stating he's in a game as a 4th wall break, and not his actual opinion. Deadpool knows he's a fictional character, and that excuses (or even informs) his 4th wall breaks. For me, that's the main difference, many of the 4th wall breaks happen to the MC.

Looks like I'll need to play MNF. Though, from your example, Milfy Cases might be a good example as well. Honestly, I don't know what exactly makes my experience with these games so different from Realm Invader. Milfy Cases has plenty of nonsensical humor, talking animals, and so on. Maybe it just comes down to better comedic timing for my own tastes? It could also be that in Realm Invader I'm able to predict which gag the dev is going for next. When gazing at the moon, I just knew the Developer would make an appearance. And with Grace, I know super speed will be a thing.

Another example of where inconsistency confused me, is when it deals with violence. The MC gets kicked across the room, and suffers from it. But when the MC slaps and punches Stella, she doesn't even acknowledge it (why does my jaw hurt suddenly?). But, maybe I'm too pedantic, or too focussed on cause and effect.

Reactions: Draugo

MidnightKing

Jun 27, 2017
Yeah I mean to me the sheer amount of gags (which is the word I couldn't think of when writing my review, thank you) is just wayyyyy too much for me. It's to the point where it's not just that it's taking up a lot of the game's content space, but even stealing it from moments that would otherwise start to get me invested.

I think the comparison to a certain widely revered HS game has been bastardized to hell with how people seem to say "wow this game has the same quality/potential/what have you as EXXXXXX!!!" for even the slightly above average HS games, but I think this is a rare case where it fits. I mean I feel the inspiration is rather obvious at least. But while that game has its moments of genuine humor, it's done with a sort of gentle hand that interweaves it into everything else. Where as this game takes the sledgehammer approach. There's some gags I really did find funny, but I didn't need to keep seeing the same joke of scaring off the kids and the constant meme sound effects/music as an example. It's almost beating a dead horse in a way. Same deal with the dev chad character as another example. I thought it was funny enough at the beginning, but then he just keeps showing up and it quickly lost its effect on me.

I'm not saying the dev is intentionally doing this, but for all the cracks in the walls so to speak, it feels like comedic band-aids are being slapped over them instead of actually being repaired. Now again I didn't play episode two so maybe everything gets way better, but first impressions are important. I mean a lot of people seem to like the game though so whatever, but that's how I feel about it anyway. Just not working for me, which is unfortunate since there really is potential for me to like this I think.

Reactions: Quetzzz

Draugo

Jul 12, 2022
Humor hits differently for everyone and you can never please everybody. It's just a matter of sticking to your style and trying to keep improving it to make it better for those that enjoy it. Although I have to agree with Quetzzz that physical comedy loses its edge if it is not consistent. I can't really remember those two example situations since I played through the game only once so far so I can't really say if there are some mitigating things that would differentiate the situations and make it make sense, but wildly different outcomes for the same action do break the world building more than some other things.

On a personal note I find it super annoying on this forum when people use phrases like "certain widely revered HS game" because if I'm not a mind reader when being face to face I certainly am not one through text. I can make some guesses but it's always possible those are wrong and there might be people who are just starting with AVNs who can't even start to guess. Makes it really difficult to make a sensible answer or comment.

Draugo

Jul 12, 2022
Looks like I'll need to play MNF
I highly recommend both games from Killer7. MNF is pretty much a slice of life though so don't go in expecting some grand plot. It's just a feel good experience with some really emotional parts thrown in that hit pretty hard if you have any similar experiences.

Reactions: GbolnHunter
4.70 star(s) 56 Votes