4.60 star(s) 5 Votes
Sep 30, 2022
FIXED LAST MINUTE
Was about to give up and install Windows 7, but I tried installing DXVK instead and it just works now.
The others methods might work for you, they didn't for me but its probably because I'm on the latest version of Windows 10, so this might only work on that and Windows 11. Download latest release here (2.2 at time of writing), , go into the x86 folder and drag everything to the folder with the RapeLay English.exe executable. Start the game, Profit.

EDIT: Also use Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, and disable your second (or more) monitor(s). Also try low resolutions first
EDIT: 32bit resolution made my game start on a black screen and make my mouse unable to move. select "16bit" resolutions.
Yeah, can confirm this method works. The only additional setting that I did was Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode (the 3D mode stuck on black screen when you load the save without this), the 3D mode still run smoothly on highest provided resolution and quality texture for me. Using windows 11 22h2.

Reactions: floyd7barber

SpankySid

Apr 21, 2018
Okay, so I just downloaded what was in the first post and applied the two dll files to make the game launch, and everything is working. The problem is that... none of the penetration is functioning correctly? At least I hope it isn't supposed to be like this. Any penetration animations consist of the guy's dick flopping around and clipping through the girl's body constantly, some scenes don't even look like any penetration happens at all and he's just slapping them with his magic clipping penis. Going even further than that, some animations have the dick bending at impossible angles, clipping through the guy's body. Any idea what could be causing this?
I originally got this game running in wine on my linux computer and it ran with a good frame rate, but all the body animations had the various body joints disconnected. It was like watching people's whose body parts were connected via slinkies having sex. I tried it on my win 11 computer and it also ran at a good frame rate, but the generated animations looked exactly as you described, "magic clipping penis" :ROFLMAO: and all. I'd be happy if someone else corrects me here, but I believe that's as good as we're going to get on this old game.

Byrkin

Oct 12, 2019
FIXED LAST MINUTE
Was about to give up and install Windows 7, but I tried installing DXVK instead and it just works now.
The others methods might work for you, they didn't for me but its probably because I'm on the latest version of Windows 10, so this might only work on that and Windows 11. Download latest release here (2.2 at time of writing), , go into the x86 folder and drag everything to the folder with the RapeLay English.exe executable. Start the game, Profit.

EDIT: Also use Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, and disable your second (or more) monitor(s). Also try low resolutions first
EDIT: 32bit resolution made my game start on a black screen and make my mouse unable to move. select "16bit" resolutions.
This... kinda worked for me. I had to use the x64 folder because I couldn't find the x86 one and x32 didn't work. It looks great with the correct aspect ratio, but the 3d is slow as hell. The dgVoodoo dlls don't have this issue, with those it runs smooth but it stretches the image, looks a bit blurry and puts an ugly ass watermark on screen. Why is it so hard to find a single solution that works correctly :cry:

Edit: I managed to remove the watermark on dgVoodoo with a custom config file, which runs supper smoothly, but forcing the game to run in 4:3 makes a duplicate of the mouse cursor in the middle of the screen. I'll continue messing around with it tomorrow and see if I can fix that and upload it here.

Last edited:
Reactions: CasualReViewer

Arde645

Apr 30, 2018
This... kinda worked for me. I had to use the x64 folder because I couldn't find the x86 one and x32 didn't work. It looks great with the correct aspect ratio, but the 3d is slow as hell. The dgVoodoo dlls don't have this issue, with those it runs smooth but it stretches the image, looks a bit blurry and puts an ugly ass watermark on screen. Why is it so hard to find a single solution that works correctly :cry:

Edit: I managed to remove the watermark on dgVoodoo with a custom config file, which runs supper smoothly, but forcing the game to run in 4:3 makes a duplicate of the mouse cursor in the middle of the screen. I'll continue messing around with it tomorrow and see if I can fix that and upload it here.
Did you use the dgVoodoo tool?

It helps quite a bit with dialing things in. Just pick your settings, click apply, then copy the changed dll files from the 3Dfx/MS/whatever the game uses folder. Also has an option for removing the watermark, though I usually keep it on when testing to see if it's actually being applied.

EDIT: Since F95 has decided to flag my file, check their

Last edited:

Chuck411

Sep 8, 2019
I originally got this game running in wine on my linux computer and it ran with a good frame rate, but all the body animations had the various body joints disconnected. It was like watching people's whose body parts were connected via slinkies having sex. I tried it on my win 11 computer and it also ran at a good frame rate, but the generated animations looked exactly as you described, "magic clipping penis" :ROFLMAO: and all. I'd be happy if someone else corrects me here, but I believe that's as good as we're going to get on this old game.
I don't quite have the same "magic clipping" problem as you do but for some reason none of the click and drag animation seem to work for me. It's funny to think that this game is so old that new OS struggle to run it. Makes me feel old.

Byrkin

Oct 12, 2019
Did you use the dgVoodoo tool?

It helps quite a bit with dialing things in. Just pick your settings, click apply, then copy the changed dll files from the 3Dfx/MS/whatever the game uses folder. Also has an option for removing the watermark, though I usually keep it on when testing to see if it's actually being applied.

EDIT: Since F95 has decided to flag my file, check their
Yeah, that's what I was doing. I tried messing around with the conf file directly too, but I could not solve the mouse issue with 4:3 resolutions. I was getting a double mouse cursor, which apparently is a common issue if you pick "Stretched but keep Aspect Ratio" or any similar option, so I don't think it can be fixed. The closest I got was picking the highest resolution available in the game's launcher, and using the "Centered" option in dgVoodoo. Thankfully the image is not too small in my monitor, so that's how I'm gonna play it.

I'll attach the dll and conf files, and a small readme for anyone else who for some reason doesn't want to download dgVoodoo and do it manually, for both full screen stretched and centered 4:3

Reactions: MikanTsuki~~~

gussi111

Apr 24, 2021
If anyone is still having problems with the game lagging and crashing, just follow these instructions;
1. Download the file from this link (Google Drive)
2. Open your file manager and go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64
3. Scroll down until you find the d3d9.dll file and rename it d3d9.dll.old (this will make the file unusable but don't worry, but whatever you do, do not delete this file, maybe make a backup and put it somewhere safe)
4. Once the file has been renamed, take the d3d9.dll file that you downloaded and move it to C:\Windows\SysWOW64
5. That's it, the game should work fine after this (Fun fact, this will also make other old 3D games work)

If you find that you can't rename the d3d9.dll file then you'll need to change the file permission, should be pretty simple but if you struggle with it just send me a message and I'll write a short guide on how to do that.
Hey, is there a way to get access to the google drive? I can't get the game to work it just chrashes instantly on startup...

JackedHeart

Aug 26, 2017
Hey, is there a way to get access to the google drive? I can't get the game to work it just chrashes instantly on startup...
Google Drive must have updated at some point and defaulted to only letting people with the link view the file, sorry bout that. I've fixed the issue, and all access requests have been granted, so the file should now be public again. Give it a try and let me know if it works okay.

Reactions: gussi111

Senormostaza

Oct 20, 2017
Okay, so I just downloaded what was in the first post and applied the two dll files to make the game launch, and everything is working. The problem is that... none of the penetration is functioning correctly? At least I hope it isn't supposed to be like this. Any penetration animations consist of the guy's dick flopping around and clipping through the girl's body constantly, some scenes don't even look like any penetration happens at all and he's just slapping them with his magic clipping penis. Going even further than that, some animations have the dick bending at impossible angles, clipping through the guy's body. Any idea what could be causing this?
This has a very simple explanation: the original game is censored, no penetration is ever actually shown, just mosaics.
This version of the game comes with a fanmade uncensor patch and it's not perfect.

wanderingFragment

Dec 11, 2019
I suspect what we really need is for someone who is capable of editing the original post to include links to the posts explaining how to use dgVoodoo, RLHarem2 software, and the mod backups (since hongfire got nuked). It took me nearly three hours to install and get RL working on Win10 (god help Win11 users). Though, I will say the RLHarem2 backup was a godsend because I've never managed to get modding to work with RLHarem1.

TL;DR: It'd be nice if we had links to the posts necessary to get this old-but-gold game up and running in modern times, in the interest of making it easier for new-comers to experience this gem. I've experimented with other games like it (Loop Service, Train Capacity 300%, Round and Round Train), but I've still not found something that captures its quality. Play Home was interesting, but mostly soulless. Illusion has fallen far, I guess. Though several aspects of RL are dated these days- the 'click, wheel, drag' system in particular just feels clunky, though definitely not the worst I've seen.

gussi111

Apr 24, 2021
Google Drive must have updated at some point and defaulted to only letting people with the link view the file, sorry bout that. I've fixed the issue, and all access requests have been granted, so the file should now be public again. Give it a try and let me know if it works okay.
Hey, still crashes on startup after I did how you instructed.. :(

Byrkin

Oct 12, 2019
Hey, still crashes on startup after I did how you instructed.. :(
Did you try this from my last post? Many .dlls I downloaded from random posts here worked, but all of them had a watermark that bothered me. I tried it on two computers running Windows 10 and it worked perfectly on both, no crashes or lag issues, no idea what your windows is though. All you need is the initial download for the game from the OP, and two files that I included here (there's an alt. file and an explanation in the readme, but if you just want to play don't worry about it):

Yeah, that's what I was doing. I tried messing around with the conf file directly too, but I could not solve the mouse issue with 4:3 resolutions. I was getting a double mouse cursor, which apparently is a common issue if you pick "Stretched but keep Aspect Ratio" or any similar option, so I don't think it can be fixed. The closest I got was picking the highest resolution available in the game's launcher, and using the "Centered" option in dgVoodoo. Thankfully the image is not too small in my monitor, so that's how I'm gonna play it.

I'll attach the dll and conf files, and a small readme for anyone else who for some reason doesn't want to download dgVoodoo and do it manually, for both full screen stretched and centered 4:3

Oct 23, 2021
I got it to run on wine without the characters transforming into biblically accurate angels by using a patched version of wine and setting it to windows ME. I can't post links but you can find it at sims2-wine-patches on github

Strong gater

Jan 17, 2018

So for me, no matter which fix I try, either the game will crash on startup, or be laggy on run. I've tried like 4 different D3D9.dlls including with the dgvoodoo, and as mentioned, either they cause the game to stop launching or dont fix the lag. Only one I haven't tried is the google drive one posted recently, but that is still requiring permission.

Fix that worked for me:

1. Use the fix files from the quoted reply
2.Use Win+P to disconnect any secondary monitors
3. Run the game in win 7 compatibility mode

4.60 star(s) 5 Votes