Patreon Top 50 depressing

The-real-Vastitas

Game Developer
Jul 16, 2017
Well we all watched a good movie or listened to some decent music or played games years after they failed miserable financial wise while we enjoyed the product asking...why?...promoting adult games is even harder given all the road blocks put in place by a society that has no problem with violence but tends to forget that we are all born naked...
I hate marketing > quality
Likewise...marketing in general takes time better used to improve the product ( that is soooo idealistic:closedeyesmile:)...in part I bet it is the reason why many of these games have little to none content per update...focus being money not the actual game ( AAA-games spring to mind).

As a developer you gotta ask yourself what is important to you...money...which equals the need to market the product properly...customer satisfaction...which equals the need to incorporate the most famous kinks...or the realization of your own ideas...which may produce the best product in terms of quality while it may take longer than a life time for anyone to notice...it's hard to find a balance I guess hence that being the top reason why I believe every single one who's on that top 50 list deserves his/her spot. It's a struggle to become relevant I bet...fake secondary accounts which praise the product and bash competition...buddies which promote the game on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube...Discord, streaming and empty promises...oh man...I for one can't be bothered...marketing is boring as fuck...I better not quit my job any time soon idealism does not pay the rent:coldsweat:... most who do it for fame and fortune however may wanna learn a thing or two from some of the guys/gals on that list especially if you aspire to become part of it.

Reactions: kongflcl

SmokeyDots

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2017
Oldest devs who were here when our market started had considerably easier than any modern dev as they were unique. Now it's impossible to reach DoD, DMD, BB etc. level as playerbase is spreaded over hundreds of similiar devs. To reach such a thing dev needs unique gameplay-style and probably art-style which is hard to do as most games we have are renpy VN or simple rpgm VNs. All with the same daz models. Older devs have their brands so they don't need to do much while new can't reach enough quality to overcome them. It's also a matter of content ofc. Mentioned CC probably won't reach top 50 as even if optional it still appears as RPGM game with focus on futas. It's popular but nowhere near incest and in comparison it's offputting for many people as you ignore it. GGGB has amazing quality and writing but it's still a VN. It's different thanks to its branching and quality writing cuz dev is a woman who are not so sex focused. But probably being a woman makes her views different than ours therefore it's really one of the very few female protags I know of that's neither an innocent teen or a milf. Plain, normal girls don't work in Japan so I suppose they won't do it here as well. List will surely change but it will take years and new one will be probably as depressing as this one for those who are deep in our community.
Think Ignazzio hit it right on the head. Probably shouldn't compare past with now. At the end of the day though, how can you create a quality product if you don't make something you yourself find interesting. If you try to cater to your product to make money and only money you probably have something that's soulless. I can honestly say I can see why many of those developers earn the big bucks rather its their art, gameplay, story, timing. Some of them might be milking now, but I think its fair to say almost all of them probably put in a lot of work and probably did a lot right, this shit's not easy... It's easy to think your own product is the nuts and get caught up in an echo chamber, but every time I release an update there's a lot of people that tell me its shit and you know what? To some extent they right... There's also a lot of people that say its perfect and to some extent they are also right. I'm just rambling, but guess the main point is these people probably did a lot right, rather its luck or skill, hey those two things have always been pretty fucking fine line.