Patreon has gone too far and we need to boycott and punish them.

Maxh

Jun 19, 2021
I do think Patreon sucks but this guy Maxh is a tad bit unhinged. This reminds me of some video I watched earlier today about some retard whom was harassing cops and incorrectly citing laws and court rulings. The guy not only pointed out some case incorrectly but it was a ruling that happening in Mississippi when they were in California.

This is like that. by the way, the guy called himself a "Constitutional Law Scholar"
Never claimed to be a lawyer, or an expert in legal matters.... Just looking for a way to make life harder for Patreon. Devs shouldn't get nuked for third party mods.

Also every one keeps reminding me this is a piracy site.... Isn't part of being a pirate finding a way to undermine the goody too shoes? If their own rules can be used against them, we win against the censorship brigade. Dodging the censorship brigade seems more important than someone since of irony.

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
goody too shoes
*goody two-shoes

We ride the high seas but we should always make time for literacy.

Yea, idk man. I think that's why some devs already have backups with other stuff like Subscribestar. Don't ever really hear much about censorship from that one so I guess that's already a solution. Other devs have ways of keeping it "Patreon-safe" and then have a mod to change shit back to what was intended.

I think one reason why people keep mentioning this is a piracy site is because while there may be people who still support devs they like, the vast majority are already NOT donating on Patreon. You're asking people who are (more likely than not) already not using a service to ... boycott said service. It just doesn't make much sense.

And to add to that, any solution that would come out of piracy would probably hurt the devs more than Patreon itself. I honestly can't imagine any way piracy would undermine anything directly in that fashion. Maybe eventually and in an indirect way but the way you're wording it is like you're thinking cutting loose a rabid dog will help you against an attacker when the rabid dog's goal is purely the nice steak sitting in front of it.

It also just seems that devs who want to make games that Patreon bans are just finding other ways/places to do it or just not make those kinds of games.

Reactions: blarg0192

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Devs shouldn't get nuked for third party mods.
Which developer(s) was/were nuked for mods not made or promoted by the developer(s) themselves?

Unfortunately the Indie devs of adult games need Patreon a lot more than Patreon needs the devs. What % of revenue does does adult games constitute for Patreon? 0.5% maybe?
Actually, much more.
1712882989659.png
You can get a general idea by looking at stats here: But it appears about 9-10% of Patreon's payouts are to adult game developers.

But yes, adult game developers need Patreon more than Patreon needs them.
Even if that wouldn't work there has to be other ideas to keep the censorship brigade away?
Again, you think Patreon needs to look at F95 to see if there are creators who are in breach of their agreement with Patreon? You are not only slightly in err, but full blown in err. Also, it's not "the censorship brigade."

Patreon says creators can include certain content and cannot include other content if creators want to use their platform. If creators make content that is not allowed to be promoted on Patreon, then Patreon is well within their rights to not allow those creators on their site. Do you not see the hypocrisy of your argument? You are basically saying that creators should have the right to control the content they offer but that Patreon should not have the same right. Creators have that right - but by using Patreon, they must also respect Patreon's rights at the same time, or find a platform that best fits their vision.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
Never claimed to be a lawyer, or an expert in legal matters.... Just looking for a way to make life harder for Patreon. Devs shouldn't get nuked for third party mods.
Firstly, can you link one single piece of proof that patreon has ANY control over which content is added to the ban list?

Secondly, that is the second time you have brought up "mods" but have failed to link, list or name anyone in that position.

Also every one keeps reminding me this is a piracy site.... Isn't part of being a pirate finding a way to undermine the goody too shoes? If their own rules can be used against them, we win against the censorship brigade. Dodging the censorship brigade seems more important than someone since of irony.
Pirates steal loot, they don't burn down the warehouse with all the loot in it....

Patreon has rules imposed on them and they need to follow them in order to stay in business. They are in the same boat as the dev's the ONLY difference is they are doing a better job of following the rules.

Let's say you manage by some unrealistic miracle to "bring down patreon" does that magically make the rules go away? Will that suddenly makes the governments, Corporations, CC Companies etc. suddenly and magically forget and allow the new replacements for patreon to allow incest, rape, beasty etc. ????

Maybe get your facts straight before crying wolf !

Reactions: anne O'nymous

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
Visa and MasterCard can't pull the plug on Patreon if nothing is discovered in the first place.
you've got it backwards, no one can force credit card companies to do business with them. they can refuse on a whim or if they even think you looked them wrong. they don't need to prove jack shit.

edit: nevermind, just saw the million later posts going over all of it.

• Haha
Reactions: Count Morado

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Patreon keeps harrassing devs for providing spicy content of various kinds.
Oh my god, Patreon is forbidding devs to put in their games content that is forbidden by Patreon's rules !

I personally would like to see a total boycott of Patreon devs and users alike, but it's probably unrealistic.
Even if it was realistic, adult content represent just ~10% of the creations funded through Patreon, so it would have no effect on Patreon. The only effect would be to harm adult content creators who have a brain and read the Terms of Service before they subscribe to the service on which their earning will depend.

[...] we should require sign up to read tags, spoiler/genre tabs, game reviews, and game discussion threads. Then we should make it clear in F95 terms of service that Patreon employees are explicitly prohibited from having accounts on this site.
This is the most stupid thing I've read that yeardecademillennium in my life. So stupid that I wouldn't even know where to starts to explain how stupid it is.

Aren't the terms of service legally binding?
So your argumentation is that Patreon's employees should respect F95zone terms of service, in order to protect the creators who do not respect Patreon's terms of service....

Counter proposition:

A total boycott of creators who fund their games through Patreon, while having content that is banned on Patreon since now near to 7 years.

That way, Patreon those games would stop being funded through a platform where it's forbidden to fund them, and the only creators impacted would be the brainless idiots who refused to read the Terms of Service, or believe that rules don't apply to them ; therefore it wouldn't be a big lost.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: morphnet

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
So I want to weigh in why creators use Patreon:
- It, unlike some other platforms is a reputable company that has offices, a place of business etc.
- It is well know by users and trusted
- It makes sure Patrons are billed on schedule for you.
- It is actually helpful. I mailed them when I was unsure about the something in the TOS and got a reply even though I have no patrons. (don't worry I'm not expecting any).
- IT PAYS TAXES FOR YOU! I cannot overstate how important this is. Each country has it's own tax laws. Are you proficient in your own countries tax law let alone the almost 200 others? In the EU for instance you have to pay the VAT rate of the patrons home country. Do you know how much of a hassle that is? Having to keep track of VAT rules of 27 countries? All you have left is a B2B transaction (if you make enough to make it into a business) which are VAT exempt (as Patreon already dealt with that shit).

Death Panda

May 8, 2023
This place is so fucking sensitive about kinkshaming that people throw a fit if you say "I don't like X," but when a middleman tries to tell you what you can fund with your own money these same people crawl out of the woodwork to defend the poor widdle corporation. It makes me sick.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
This place is so fucking sensitive about kinkshaming that people throw a fit if you say "I don't like X," but when a middleman tries to tell you what you can fund with your own money these same people crawl out of the woodwork to defend the poor widdle corporation. It makes me sick.
that's just silly. nobody is defending patreon, that's not what any of this is about.

(also how the fuck did you even connect kinkshaming to any of this??)

Wankyudo

Jul 26, 2017
As a pirate forum, I completely agree with Max that we should censor and jail people for working for a company.

What? Stop looking at me like that. I don't work for the Man!

(For those who are unable to detect my sarcasm; it's the fact that f95zone. A pirate forum, one that is very big on a free market; has this guy who is saying we should witch hunt and ban people for working at a company when there's quite literally no way to determine if they do work for that company without stripping a layer of anonymity from a pirate forum. Because that would work so well for all of us.)

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
As a pirate forum, I completely agree with Max that we should censor and jail people for working for a company.

What? Stop looking at me like that. I don't work for the Man!

(For those who are unable to detect my sarcasm; it's the fact that f95zone. A pirate forum, one that is very big on a free market; has this guy who is saying we should witch hunt and ban people for working at a company when there's quite literally no way to determine if they do work for that company without stripping a layer of anonymity from a pirate forum. Because that would work so well for all of us.)
That was another weird part about it. Where did he even get that information? If it's true, then we'd see a lot of devs get banned in succession. Without any kind of proof it just kind of seems like some dumbass said something random and this guy just took it and ran with it.

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
Normally i would read a comment like this as sarcasm but given the logic you normally use I'm guessing you are 100% serious :rolleyes:

The number of things you got wrong in one post would almost be impressive if it wasn't so sad.

"I don't like X" is NOT kink shaming :rolleyes: "people who like X are disgusting" IS....
...and I too, wonder how you managed to connect kink shaming to this????

Patreon is NOT telling people what they can fund with their own money, if they were they would be banning supporters.
They are saying the dev's can not use their service to fund creations that include banned content.

No one is defending patreon, we're pointing of the stupidity of blaming patreon for something it has no control over and the mind blowing lack of using common sense and logic to blame those actually responsible.

perfeik

May 29, 2018
Would be cool if we could be able to filter away Patreon specific games in the search engine. I'm personally not interested in games that use Patreon.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
The only thing which can be done, is that when a developer has both SubStar and Patreon options, support them via SubStar. I can't prove it, but I suspect some potential supporter avoid opening a SubStar account for all sort of reasons and when supporting a developer with both SubStar and Patreon options, they choose Patreon for convenience reasons.