• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

ADRIFT Part 3 of the Himeros Trilogy: Himeros Horizon [v0.90a] [Seztworks]

Sezt

Game Developer
Dec 9, 2017
Dole Alright. Found the issue. There is a small bug where a repeatable event is not showing in the UI at the right time and you are missing that event to trigger the end marker.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Dole

Dole

Well-Known Karen
Apr 28, 2017
Dole Alright. Found the issue. There is a small bug where a repeatable event is not showing in the UI at the right time and you are missing that event to trigger the end marker.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Quest Quarters Afternoon

Thanks now I have the message that I have reached the end for this version.

Slaylife

Aug 21, 2016
I'm pretty sure the game isn't abandoned
In fact, it isn't even listed as abandoned
In my experience wherever an author announces that he/she got a new super busy job and spends over half a year sans updates it means that either the project is dead but the author is to stubborn to admit that its over or makes extremely tiny updates and eventually either makes the death of the project official in a "letter" of apology (when it becomes waaaaay to obvious that its dead) or simply disappears without a trace.

That is the main problem with projects that go on for maaaany years. RL in some form eventually ends them. Maybe its a super busy job that leaves almost no time for any hobby, maybe one is super busy when starting a family, maybe the project co-workers leave due to their own busyness with RL/disagreements or some other problems hit that lead to a similar result.

walrus13

Nov 6, 2017
this is his third, so the fact that he is still doing it, in my opinion, makes it a labor of love, for lack of a better phrase
and he still comes on here to help people with bugs or when they are stuck
so you can say abandoned, i will say on hold

Reactions: F1Fan

Slaylife

Aug 21, 2016
this is his third, so the fact that he is still doing it, in my opinion, makes it a labor of love, for lack of a better phrase
and he still comes on here to help people with bugs or when they are stuck
so you can say abandoned, i will say on hold
I would sure be glad if it was true but I've seen way to many games/mods ended prematurely even when the authors were extremely enthusiastic about them.

RL unfortunately always takes precedence after all. Even stuff that fans support with money is often just a minor financial bonus to the one the devs gain from their actual jobs. Sure there are some projects that earn a lot but we must remember that costs for such projects where there are more than just one person involved are likely huge too.

Plus there is always the risk of a burnout and devs who work for years at the expense of their health and personal life often get burned out HARD. We are only humans and not machines after all.

I would sure love seeing the game reaching a non rushed conclusion (one that both the dev and the fans would find satisfying) but I've gotten a bit realistic/cynical I guess... :(

We will see. Maybe I am wrong.

Sezt

Game Developer
Dec 9, 2017
It has been a while and I want to chime in on the last couple of posts here. It is not abandoned but it has slowed down so much over the last couple of months that it might as well have been on hold. RL does indeed throw a lot of things in the way and I would have liked nothing more to get this out to the players in a timely fashion. Even more so since we are getting somewhat close to the end of the trilogy.
I am slowly speeding up and am writing 1 event a day again. The V0.80 release is currently sitting at over 70 events and will end at close to 100 events again (this is not saying there is a month left... I can't promise that).
It is a labor of love and there is no longer any money involved since I have paused any Patron payments since most realistic member goals where reached and are getting implemented. There was never any chance of a rushed ending but I hope for a slightly faster release schedule then we have had for this one going forward :)

MiteEnPullover

Jan 23, 2018
Hi.
Will you agree to open the code of your game so that it can be converted to a more suitable medium, and which will allow more people to play it without the need for ADRIFT software?

I'm looking for a project to get started in Twine, I find it much simpler and more open than ADRIFT. And above all, much more comfortable for players.

I will not have fun doing this conversion without the consent of the game owner.

Cordially.

(I'm a French developer, so don't blame me too much for my potentially rough English)

Sezt

Game Developer
Dec 9, 2017
Hello MiteEnPullover

As such I am not against it. The only issues is that the games are still "work in progress" at this point with lots of changes. Horizon still has 2 major releases to go and after that I plan to back to Hotel and make some overhauls to that.
If you can wait for me to complete the changes to Hotel I would be fine with starting out releasing the code for Hotel and see how that would turn out in Twine.

Regards
Sezt

onoxlol

Jul 7, 2017
Hi, I am really struggling with what to do next. Ive tried going to every location at every time of the day, speaking to everyone watched movies etc. I have no tasks. I am really stumped. I can post the save file if that helps.

L:2720223152721202425922165 S:614542315427

Any help would be appreciated

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Sezt

Sezt

Game Developer
Dec 9, 2017
Update request:

Patchnotes:
Himeros Horizon - Version 0.80c
Fix for specific roadblock based on choices.

EPGerhart

Dec 24, 2017
ZoneAlarm claims that Himeros Horizon V080b.exe has the virus HEUR:Trojan.MSIL.Crypt.gen
This is almost certainly a false positive, but I'm struggling to get it unzipped without my AV killing it immediately.

EDIT: By pausing the AV, I was able to unzip, but attempting to launch it causes the AV to kill it.

Last edited:

Sezt

Game Developer
Dec 9, 2017
Hiya EPGerhart
It has been a while since we had one of these. I have it listed in the "Installation" section on the frontpage and it pop ups once in a while. The adrift runner does show up in some Anti virus software as a false positive. Note the "gen" designation as generic. They find something that looks like a bad line of code but can't match it to something real.

You can work around it by adding the folder of the file as an exception to make it easier for you. How to do this is different depending on the software.

Jarlaxle69

Mar 11, 2017
I really like the series, just not a fan of ADRIFT. This series would be amazing in a different format, even HTML.

Xorgroth

Modder
Oct 12, 2017
I honestly think this game is perfect for RAGS but the HTML converted version of RAGS. Regalia, the game play is very similar to a RAGS game. Just wouldn't have to remember commands for navigation, since RAGS has a click type of navigation.

Sezt

Game Developer
Dec 9, 2017
Hiya Jarlaxle69 and Xorgroth
When I started out I looking at different "beginner" platforms and RAGS was one of them. I also liked the navigation in RAGS but after testing some implementation of events in both I ended up using Adrift because it was easier for me at the time. Back then HTML wasn't really a thing as it is today and I didn't have the code knowledge to implement anything that would work as a game let alone allow me to add the systems I wanted for the trilogy.

Regarding using Adrift. A surprising amount of people are not aware that you can use the map to navigate instead of the commands by clicking on locations once you have discovered them. You can also click words in the the text to add them to the command line instead of writing them. So you can cut down on some repeat uses.

Here is a video I made a long time ago to show my usual setup for play giving a Square image area (as all the images are formatted that way).

I hope that makes sense :)