ikkabod

Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Nope, no way to get with Jan at the party... except for the disappointing ways.

griffor

Aug 14, 2016
at how slow the story is going i think its better to come back after like 6 months

ikkabod

Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
at how slow the story is going i think its better to come back after like 6 months
That's true griffor, the game is progressing very slowly, but I made a Patreon account to try and remedy that exact problem. I don't have a lot of free time to devote to the project, but if the support could equal what I'm making at one of my jobs, I could actually quit that job and dedicate the time to this instead. That's the best solution I could think of to solve the time dilemma.

If you don't have the means to support the game, don't think it's good enough to warrant support, or are already supporting other better games, I totally understand that. That's why there will always be free public versions for everyone in that situation, which is most people. I understand that this 6 month move is inconvenient, but on the plus side, it's actually only 4 months more, and then there will be monthly public releases just like before.

Reactions: Werner von Hass

vidji

Dec 5, 2016
That's true griffor, the game is progressing very slowly, but I made a Patreon account to try and remedy that exact problem. I don't have a lot of free time to devote to the project, but if the support could equal what I'm making at one of my jobs, I could actually quit that job and dedicate the time to this instead. That's the best solution I could think of to solve the time dilemma.

If you don't have the means to support the game, don't think it's good enough to warrant support, or are already supporting other better games, I totally understand that. That's why there will always be free public versions for everyone in that situation, which is most people. I understand that this 6 month move is inconvenient, but on the plus side, it's actually only 4 months more, and then there will be monthly public releases just like before.
I feel like you might have the incentives a bit backwards. I enjoy your writing but the slow pace of development made it hard to bother checking in each month, let alone subscribe to a monthly patreon. Not having an update since January I'd pretty much forgotten about the game already. If that February update comes out in July and it isn't both really impressive and followed up by equally impressive updates, all that you'll have a achieved is dropping awareness and pushing the public build back.

I don't mean to criticize your choice- life comes first, hobbies second, and I'm getting exactly what I'm (not) paying for- but if you're looking to get people to put down enough money to treat it as a part time job, I think you need to deliver at that pace consistently before expecting the buy-in.

ikkabod

Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
I feel like you might have the incentives a bit backwards. I enjoy your writing but the slow pace of development made it hard to bother checking in each month, let alone subscribe to a monthly patreon. Not having an update since January I'd pretty much forgotten about the game already. If that February update comes out in July and it isn't both really impressive and followed up by equally impressive updates, all that you'll have a achieved is dropping awareness and pushing the public build back.

I don't mean to criticize your choice- life comes first, hobbies second, and I'm getting exactly what I'm (not) paying for- but if you're looking to get people to put down enough money to treat it as a part time job, I think you need to deliver at that pace consistently before expecting the buy-in.
I see your point, and that would basically mean quitting a part time job I already have, and crossing my fingers in hopes of support coming in. I have financial obligations that I'm not willing to gamble on, so that's not really an option for me.

Bear in mind, I was developing this game without a Patreon for a year at this same pace, and many people were unhappy with that (myself included). As I mentioned in the last post, this was a possible solution to the time problem, and if it doesn't work, I'll continue to develop the game regardless - albeit at a snails pace. I know, it sucks, but it's better than nothing, or at least I think so.

griffor

Aug 14, 2016
I see your point, and that would basically mean quitting a part time job I already have, and crossing my fingers in hopes of support coming in. I have financial obligations that I'm not willing to gamble on, so that's not really an option for me.

Bear in mind, I was developing this game without a Patreon for a year at this same pace, and many people were unhappy with that (myself included). As I mentioned in the last post, this was a possible solution to the time problem, and if it doesn't work, I'll continue to develop the game regardless - albeit at a snails pace. I know, it sucks, but it's better than nothing, or at least I think so.
i wasn't trying to knock you your game is great it just i get immersed in your story and than 2 pages later boom end of content which makes me sad you might see more progress on patreon if you set it to by major release than you won't feel as rushed and could put more out there.

ikkabod

Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
i wasn't trying to knock you your game is great it just i get immersed in your story and than 2 pages later boom end of content which makes me sad you might see more progress on patreon if you set it to by major release than you won't feel as rushed and could put more out there.
I didn't take it that way at all griffor, I welcome all criticism and advice. The passage you quoted was a response to vidji though, I replied to you in the comment right before that. Like I said though, I had no problem with his comment either, and he's right. The speed of development is a huge issue, and it was a good opportunity for me to explain the problem and my efforts to solve it.

As a fan of these games too, I know how frustrating it is waiting a long time for rather small updates. When you try and make your own game though, you really understand what goes into it and how much work is involved.

VainFire

Jul 5, 2017
When is the next public release for this?
It's in several months. Honestly, just forget about the game. There's no point waiting for an update that's going to be pretty small and still 6 months behind the actual game.

dudecrush01

Apr 7, 2017
i try to use the SugarCube.state.active.variables edit but for some reason none of it works.... Was Anti cheat installed in the code or i'm just not using it right?

wakaflockaflav

Oct 21, 2017
I'm pretty amazed that after so long there's only two new scenes. I really enjoyed this the first time and am rather sad that this is all there is.

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
I'm pretty amazed that after so long there's only two new scenes. I really enjoyed this the first time and am rather sad that this is all there is.
I'm pretty sure that's why the next public release is ~5-6 months away.

wakaflockaflav

Oct 21, 2017
I'm pretty sure that's why the next public release is ~5-6 months away.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the patreon build is only 2.9 while the one available here is 2.8. Considering the small difference between 2.3 and 2.8 I don't see how 2.9 would be a huge content dump. I really hope I am wrong because I really enjoyed this game the first time I tried it.

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but the patreon build is only 2.9 while the one available here is 2.8. Considering the small difference between 2.3 and 2.8 I don't see how 2.9 would be a huge content dump. I really hope I am wrong because I really enjoyed this game the first time I tried it.
2.3 is the latest public release, if I'm correct. 2.8 was the latest patreon release that I got. I'm not saying it'll be 2.9 for the public release. Further down the line when 3.x or 4.x is released, there will be plenty of content added that people will enjoy it.

RichardCheese

Dec 15, 2017
2.3 is the latest public release, if I'm correct. 2.8 was the latest patreon release that I got. I'm not saying it'll be 2.9 for the public release. Further down the line when 3.x or 4.x is released, there will be plenty of content added that people will enjoy it.
Either 3.0 is years down the line, or there won't be "plenty of content".

1.5k new words between three variants is an abysmal rate. I understand only working on this as a side project but I've seen similar writers pumping out 20-30k word per monthly release.

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
Either 3.0 is years down the line, or there won't be "plenty of content".

1.5k new words between three variants is an abysmal rate. I understand only working on this as a side project but I've seen similar writers pumping out 20-30k word per monthly release.
Well, if you're working 3 jobs, one's not going to have enough time to work on a game at full-time hours. Think of it as a hobby, and not as work. We all have our hobbies. And that's why public release is every 6 months atm.

I don't really find anything wrong with what he's doing. Not to say that he's doing anything wrong in the first place. He's doing alright by my standards. As long as the story stays good, I'll be playing the game.

ikkabod

Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
So, from thew jump, let me just say that I'm very disappointed to see this.

When is the next public release? It's the beginning of next month, version 0.2.4 - but seeing as you guys have posted version 0.2.8, there isn't much point of me posting it, is there?

I just want to clarify something for everyone here, because there seems to be some confusion. I'm not developing this game to make money - I'M ALREADY MAKING MONEY WORKING. When I started, I was unemployed, and had a ton of free time on my hands allowing me to put out large and frequent updates every week. After a full year of trying to find work, it all came in at once, and I found myself very much employed. People liked the game, so I decided that -and this is a quote- "I don't have time to develop this game, but i'll do it anyways, here and there when I have some time". That means, smaller, more infrequent releases. At this point, I had worked on the game for a full year, with no patreon. So a few people contacted me with this idea to create a patreon for no other reason than to speed up the production. I made a patreon page designed to accept support, but without any rewards, exclusive access, etc. I kept putting out the small releases and the donations amounted to about 12 dollars, which obviously wasn't solving the problem. The next idea was to create rewards for exclusive access to the game (like everyone else does) to see if that would spur more support to come in, and it seems to have been working, we got to a quarter of the first goal, which is great. At this point I'm 2.5 years into development.

Bearing all this in mind, do you see how gutting it is for me to come here and see the patreon release version available? To see people complaining about the slow development, while simultaneously undermining my efforts to speed up the process??? I know, my pleas fall on deaf ears, and besides, it's already too late.

Personally, it would be so easy for me to just abandon the project like 90% of developers do, but fuck that. I don't care if a single cent comes in support, I'll just keep putting out my tiny updates every month, regardless if im sick or any other obstacles that block my way. I don't even care if nobody reads it, I'm doing it because I want to do it, and nothing will stop me, so work against me as much as you want, I don't give a shit.

Reactions: RanchFTW and Eoin

RichardCheese

Dec 15, 2017
If the purpose of the patreon isn't to make money, why would you be this upset to see a more recent release up?

I've been following this story for about a year and a half now, since it was up on tfgame. I've supported a few writers over the years, but I've never seen patreon as a, "I'm only supporting you for fresher content", it was always as a way to support someone to continue writing.

To me, a website like f95 isn't a place to slap writers in the face and get beyond a paywall, it's just another place to get exposure for an artist and hopefully more people will choose to support them. But I'm not a content creator and I can't fully know what this must feel like for you.

But as a longtime reader, this particular piece has always been way back in the background due only to it's pacing. You do a decent job of writing, and I'm always glad to see it continued but four months for only >10k word spread out over three paths is pretty meager. And strictly speaking, the internet is a large host to a large number of similar content creators and a lot of casual readers don't think about outside circumstances. Your work and progress will often be taken at face-value without noting your work or other situations pressing you for time.

3.80 star(s) 9 Votes