Abandoned My Sweet Neighbors | Completing the game project !

do you want to see more updates of this game ?

• Yes

Votes: 2,290 97.5%
  • No

Votes: 58 2.5%

• Total voters

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
If the project is going to be;

- No patreon, no donation, no money.
- Purely fanmade game and the title reflect that it's fanmade. (My Sweet Neighbors - Fanmade)
- All credit goes to the original dev

Then I can see it as a nice thing.
It's just a simple fan-made game with a fan-story. Like a story mod for a game.

But(!) if the project is going to be;

- For personal gain (and one post here indicate that there may be a patreon page for it)
- It is going to act like a continuation from the original game instead of a fan-made story
- and most importantly- Lack of approval from the main dev.

Then it's a big no-no.
Not shooting any shots at the OP, as it seems he is trying to do the right thing with trying to get a hold on the dev.

As it seems, it all depends on if the dev contacts the OP back or not. The fact that he is active on patreon shows that he is not completely gone.
If he does not answer back, well, then there is no game. (Unless the OP is willing to turn it into a fanmade mod with no profit, which is a huge undertaking and very time consuming)

quetzalman

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2017
I'm not really used to being a donor on patreon, or even talking on the forum, but this story, this game, one of my first...
what a pleasure to play it... In short, the story belongs to the author of course, but if he doesn't want to finish the project,
I think that rather than let it die unfinished, someone with talent should finish it.
Good luck to you Chikimaro and you can count me as a future donor / boss.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
What are you saying we should be thankful, you're making it worse.
what if the devs doesn't answer or even read it, that shouldn't stop him from making it, i checked his patreon and discord he's totally not active, the last post was saying that he will delay the december version to january but he lied, never came back, he also promised to add a lot of things but 2 years has past where's him ?

Daz characters has no Copyrights, if he want to give something to the original creator its only the credits of the story.

Chikimaro if your first update is great you can count on me as a future donator/patron
`What are you saying we should be thankful, you're making it worse.`

I've read this a couple of times and I still don't understand what you're trying to say.

As far as I understand (and from what I've read), Pandelo pauses his patreon each month which shows he is still somewhat around.
But if he is active or not doesn't change anything. It is still his story and game.
You whole point of him lying, being gone, etc.- So what? Even if he is gone and the project never goes further, it's still his damn creation. I am baffled by this self-entitled opinion that you think you own something created by someone else just because you are not happy with the person.

Daz characters have no Copyrights- True. But you may want to read about copyright a bit. It is not okay to steal another person's story even if you write where you stole it from. Unless the original creator allows you to use it- it is theft.

Once published, here’s what’s protected (mostly) by copyright:

• Your specific art choices
  • Your specific characters, to a degree (remember that King Kong and Donkey Kong were ruled separate, but if you put Master Chief into your game, it wouldn’t fly)
  • Parts of your code (though there’s some argument over what should and should not qualify for protection)
  • Your original music
  • Your specific story (not general things, like a hero saving a princess from a dragon, but specific things, like an almost-orphaned Harry Potter going to a wizard school called Hogwarts)
  • Your finished game
i hope you were joking about the no donations thing.
Joking about that I think it's not great to steal another person's work? No, I am serious about that.
And even if we ignore any copyright (I don't think it will ever go so far with any copyright battles) it is just morally wrong to take another person's hard work and then earn money from that. (Oh, I'm profiting from your work, but here, I'll write your name as a nice little gift for you.)

Again, as long as Pandelo gives the green light and says it's okay- then it great and should be pursued. But if the original creator doesn't allow it then it is just morally wrong.

GaboCAP

Jun 7, 2018
For a pirate forum, certanly a lot of strong moral issues can be found here...
After Big Brother get abandoned, a shitload of remakes/continuations/unnoficial thingies arised.
Right now,a parallel build of Bad Bobby saga is being made.
Must have other examples, with or without formal abandonment from their originial creators.
Chikimaro, you want to do it? Go for it.
You can get some coins from the work? Good for you.
You will give all deserved credits to Pandelo? Nice from you.
If the guy someday makes a comeback and we ended with two parallel versions of the game... well, better for us.
Don't get into some foggy territory of supposed unwrited laws or regulations. No honor amongst pirates, just a nice ammount of professional courtesy is enough.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
dude, if you don't like it leave, no one obligate you to donate or to pledge or even to play it.
you're asking us to wait for an unknown date that could never come, if you ask me i won't pledge again to pandelo even if he comes back, he left us for 2 years, god know for how much years he still need.
Leave where? I am in a discussion forum sharing my opinion.
I didn't say to wait for an 'unknown date that could never come'. I didn't say to pledge or not to Pandelo.
You are mixing things up a bit. I am telling you that it is his work whatever you like it or not. Whatever you dislike the person or not. Whatever the game will ever be released again or not.
None of those things matter. Why do you keep bringing it up like it is a justification to steal his work?

stealing is a little bit a harsh word
What do you want me to call it then? Forcefully borrowing? Nimble fingers? Plagiarize?
It doesn't matter what word you use here. When you take something that isn't yours and then try to earn money from it- theft.
Again, not saying OP is doing that. He is obviously trying to get in contact with Pandelo.
Just that if this was made without Pandelos approval then it would be theft.

(it's a fanmade - all Copyrights credits are going to pandelo, this game will have "not Official release/fanmade" in the title, it will be separated than the original game,he even searched everywhere to contact pandelo and to recreate assets) if the original dev want to comeback he can, this project as he said will be separated.
Eh? I clearly wrote this. Just above. Even on the same page.

`
If the project is going to be;

- No patreon, no donation, no money.
- Purely fanmade game and the title reflect that it's fanmade. (My Sweet Neighbors - Fanmade)
- All credit goes to the original dev

Then I can see it as a nice thing. `

but what i see is you just want him to work for free and to gain nothing, if he do a great work in the story and the
design he deserve to support him, i hope he doesn't change his opinion because of negative comments,
Eh? I clearly wrote this. Just above. Even on the same page.

`Again, as long as Pandelo gives the green light and says it's okay- then it great and should be pursued. `

So, what are you on about?
As long as Pandelo says it's okay to make money from his work then it's fine. But if Pandelo does not want it (or doesn't reply) then it doesn't mean it's okay to use his work.

Imagine if a big movie or book (e.g Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, LoTR) was on hold or abandoned. What do you think will happen if another director/author picked it up and then continued working on it without the approval of the original creator? Made millions of dollars and yet his defense- 'I gave a thank you in the credit to the original creator!'

Ofc it wouldn't work. There would be lawsuits after lawsuits. Because it's theft and it's wrong.
Just because we are way smaller and don't have the money like the big people doesn't mean it's okay to steal our work for your own profit.

GaboCAP

This may be a pirate site but that doesn't mean it lacks morals. F95 does not try to make a profit from other people's games.

GaboCAP

Jun 7, 2018
GaboCAP

This may be a pirate site but that doesn't mean it lacks morals. F95 does not try to make a profit from other people's games.
[/QUOTE]

Well, as I see things, this guy would not get a profit from original game, but from his work on carring forward the story. Same situation as the Bad Bobby Saga remade, or the countless Big Brotherish things. Let the guy be happy.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
GaboCAP

Well, as I see things, this guy would not get a profit from original game, but from his work on carring forward the story. Same situation as the Bad Bobby Saga remade, or the countless Big Brotherish things. Let the guy be happy.
So it's okay for anyone to carrying forward the story of big movies, games, and books?
So, anyone can just make a continuation of the Witcher series? Lotr? GoT?
That is not how it works.

It is taking an established name/brand, characters, setting, and story, which is the hardest part of it all, and making it your own without the approval of the original creator.
Anyone can continue something really popular. Some will like it and some will dislike it. But it's easy to do so.
Making something from scratch and making people love it is a completely different scenario.

I dunno about the situation the other 'copy' stuff you are talking about. But for me those mainly resemble look-alikes and the general things (the standard incest template) rather than straight-up copying.

`Your specific story (not general things, like a hero saving a princess from a dragon, but specific things, like an almost-orphaned Harry Potter going to a wizard school called Hogwarts) `

Let the guy be happy? Ofc, if he gets the rights to work on it then I'd be more than happy to have a new fellow dev out there.
But without the rights then I would always frown upon it as a dev. I would not be happy if someone stole my work for their own profit.

GaboCAP

Jun 7, 2018
So it's okay for anyone to carrying forward the story of big movies, games, and books?
Seems to be okay if the movie, book or whatever is old enough to be free of rights. In real world. In the world of corporative copyrights. Even there, it's not carved in stone. In the world of non profesional lewd games? I'm not really sure than international copyright laws really apply.
But anyway, as I said, just my view of things. I can assume that you'll get really pissed off if somebody stoled your work for profit (remaking it or solding it, as happend some time ago) and with all the reason on your side, but not sure if the same example can be applied here. This "he can do it but he can't profit from it" argument sound at least arbitrary.

M$hot

May 28, 2017
I'm torn, because I would like to see a continuation of this game plus I celebrate new devs popping up. On the other hand, without permission of the person that made it, it does seem like you're infringing and using someone elses reputation to get a leg up. Easier to get Patrons if you're continuing MSN compared to a brand new game.

So I don't know, Chikimaro doesn't seem to have malicious intent. Let's hope the OC gets back to him sometime soon. Hell, maybe the guy is happy someone will continue a story he started with love and hands over his folder of script ideas and assets? We don't know, so I'm withholding judgement.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
I would love to see the game finished.
But without Pandelo's permission I don't think this is a good idea. Even without the whole moral discussion which I don't want to get into, continuing another person's project without permission is asking for a lot of potential trouble that if anything can make finishing the game even harder in the future, as soon as complains starts.

I think HopesGaming 's post pretty much summarized it. The most I can see working is a fan made "patch" that finishes the game. Anything beyond that should require Pandelo's written permission. And I do believe Chikimaro has the best intentions here.

Last edited:

Chikimaro

We love to see you Smile....
Donor
Feb 2, 2018
Hello,

it seems it start turning a bad turn and making 2 clans who support the idea and who refuse it and that's not what i planned for.

i didn't reply lately because i wanted to see how people are going to interact with it, the poll was made in this purpose.

anyways i respect all opinions who agree and who refuse.

i didn't mean to steal anyone project, or to harms anyone and i'm still waiting for Pandelo answer.

i never had bad intentions or any bad ideas.

i don't ask anyone to pledge or to support me, the game will be published here at the F95zone for free.

Thank you all for your comments.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

B-52reloaded

Aug 25, 2018
Just go on with your project and be not afraid to do what you want to do - you will never please all of the people, that is just the way it is. Those in support will continue to support you - as will I as a matter of fact - and those who don´t ... well they can wait for Pandelo to reemerge or they can go on and play another game. It is after all a free world full of varieties. You just continue to develop your dream!(y)

Deleted member 15555

Harem Lover
Donor
Apr 25, 2017

It is taking an established name/brand, characters, setting, and story, which is the hardest part of it all, and making it your own without the approval of the original creator.
Anyone can continue something really popular. Some will like it and some will dislike it. But it's easy to do so.
Making something from scratch and making people love it is a completely different scenario.

I dunno about the situation the other 'copy' stuff you are talking about. But for me those mainly resemble look-alikes and the general things (the standard incest template) rather than straight-up copying.

`Your specific story (not general things, like a hero saving a princess from a dragon, but specific things, like an almost-orphaned Harry Potter going to a wizard school called Hogwarts) `

Let the guy be happy? Ofc, if he gets the right to work on it then I'd be more than happy to have a new fellow dev out there.
But without the rights then I would always frown upon it as a dev. I would not be happy if someone stole my work for their own profit.
books, movies, and some games have copyrights.....Is very different from this.... had you seen how many Big brother games are there?
besides that, someone else can make a character that you use in your game because no one holds the copyright for those custom renders...so long as they don't steal your renders, they can make them exactly like yours, it has happened before, how many Daughters from DMD have we seen in games? I can keep up with examples.

It's not ethical in the sense that is kind of plagiarism if you end doing the same story with the same characters but is not something you can't do shit, just look those game of thrones games.... those star wars games... etc even those games are clearly illegal and still are getting monetized and they are the only ones that can be sued.

So yes, he can make the game if he wants to, the only thing he will need permission is to "use" the renders and game done by Pandelo, but if he still wants to do it, he can start the whole game from scratch with his own renders and the dev won't be able to do shit about it because is his own work even if the characters are the same and the story follows the same pattern.

Last edited:

M$hot

May 28, 2017
Hello,

it seems it start turning a bad turn and making 2 clans who support the idea and who refuse it and that's not what i planned for.
i didn't reply lately because i wanted to see how people are going to interact with it, the poll was made in this purpose.
anyways i respect all opinions who agree and who refuse.
i didn't mean to steal anyone project, or to harms anyone and i'm still waiting for Pandelo answer.
i never had bad intentions or any bad ideas.
i don't ask anyone to pledge or to support me, the game will be published here at the F95zone for free.
Thank you all for your comments.
To be fair, most of those that oppose it or have doubts are being conditional about it. Some is concern for you, some is wondering about the implications if you got paid for it, I don't think there's many out there that are just going a flat out no.

I never suspected you had bad intentions, you just have an idea you really like (continue a game you love) and perhaps didn't go about it the ideal way. But you've course corrected and asked for permission, now all we can do is wait.

The game being a free release does look really good on you and I hope that if this does happen people carry their appreciation for you over to your next project. Because I do think what you would be doing has value, so I hope it would give you a leg up on your own title.

Either way, good luck dealing with this!