• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN Ren'Py Mothers & Daughters [Development Thread]

Hrk19

Jan 24, 2020
check with you dad if he is missing the card, when the mc shows the counterfeit card to the girls.
the you instead of your.
typo

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
check with you dad if he is missing the card, when the mc shows the counterfeit card to the girls.
the you instead of your.
typo
Typo fixed, thanks.

I’m currently rendering out the remainder of the Cooper scene. Kimberley shows up after you’ve seen Ralph/Cynthia giving you an alternative scene to meet her other than the Gym.

The woman Ralph shows you on his laptop is the naked milf from the banner image.

Are you guys interested to know what scenes are upcoming, or prefer to wait for it in-game?

Reactions: Hrk19

Hrk19

Jan 24, 2020
Typo fixed, thanks.

I’m currently rendering out the remainder of the Cooper scene. Kimberley shows up after you’ve seen Ralph/Cynthia giving you an alternative scene to meet her other than the Gym.

The woman Ralph shows you on his laptop is the naked milf from the banner image.

Are you guys interested to know what scenes are upcoming, or prefer to wait for it in-game?
Honestly better if we find out as we play.
though just previews of the update without context would be good for any patrons or fans etc. just so we can think of what to expect.
finding out who gets scenes in a future update kinda spoils the update a bit

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
I’m coding the interaction with gamergirl. Originally I had planned for this to be a variation on the smartphone messaging app with some images of a ‘computer game’ in the background to suggest playing an online game together.

Now there will be a very small mini game involved. Basically the same principle as above, but you’ll have choices to make in the background game that tie into dialogue between the two of you. I feel this will give a little more depth to your interactions with her.

Gamergirl (original name I know!) is the online persona for one of the women you meet in the game. The way you treat the woman vs gamergirl will have an impact on your relationship with that character if she figures out your identity.

Also, a little teaser for a bonus scene if Catherine tells you she’ll be taking a shower.

catherinebedroom.png

Reactions: Reifon and Hrk19

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Version 1 - Released

This replaces all previous development versions. Please start a new game as saves from the dev versions are not compatible.

This firms up the code, say for any bug fixes. Onwards now is story driven.

Major changes from the last dev version

• All features should now work as expected.
  • The look closer gallery is now using the original large image – scrollable.
  • Setting added for the look closer sound alert.
  • Setting added for pausing after a look closer.
  • Default audio volume set at 25%.
  • Mini game added on computer.
  • Fixes in how the relationship and messaging smartphone app display names.
  • Custom notes can be added to relevant info in the relationship app on the computer.
  • Relevant info and relationship factors can be deleted in the relationship app on the computer.

• I just jizzed my pants
Reactions: Reifon

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
I've created a thread in game requests. I know there are a few letters that might cause a storm!

Hrk19

Jan 24, 2020
So, while in Ralph's house after max says "Talking of skills, you helping your old man with the house yet?"
i get this error with no option to ignore and move on, just rollback, so stuck here.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
ScriptError: could not find label 'rel1_cooper_rsalph1a_updated'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "scenes/r1/release1.rpyc", line 269, in script call
  File "scenes/e1/eyepatch1.rpyc", line 990, in script call
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1485, in execute
    rv = renpy.game.context().call(label, return_site=self.next.name)
  File "renpy/script.py", line 918, in lookup
    raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))

Windows-8-6.2.9200-SP0
Ren'Py 7.4.8.1895
Mothers and Daughters 0.1.0i
Sun Nov 14 03:08:41 2021

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
So, while in Ralph's house after max says "Talking of skills, you helping your old man with the house yet?"
i get this error with no option to ignore and move on, just rollback, so stuck here.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1485, in execute
    rv = renpy.game.context().call(label, return_site=self.next.name)
  File "renpy/script.py", line 918, in lookup
    raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))

Windows-8-6.2.9200-SP0
Ren'Py 7.4.8.1895
Mothers and Daughters 0.1.0i
Sun Nov 14 03:08:41 2021
Unfortunately, that’s a spelling error in the label call.

Reactions: Hrk19

TheDick69+

Jun 29, 2021
Like this game and will follow it's updates before writing a review. Started easy and that's ok by me now. Don't need to think so much then! :ROFLMAO:

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
I’m trying out an android build. The most notable issue is the image hover in the free roam. Any ideas how best to deal with that?

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
I've added an Android build to the main game thread. Do I need to report the thread as an update? I'm not sure since I have permissions to edit the OP.

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Version 2 is available on a patreon-tiered release. I will add it to the main game thread in a week on public release (assuming someone else doesn't do it before then).

The new version includes approx 600 renders + 25 look closer images. A few bug fixes and some rewrites of core functions. For this reason, it will be a full download and not just an update package.

If you saved in V1 on a menu screen you will see additional blank menu items when you open it in V2. This is a side effect of the menu changes to allow for disabled items (prerequisite not met options). You either need to roll back a screen or just don't select a blank item. The game uses an if/else block for menus. If you do happen to choose a blank item you'll get whatever is the else path is (usually the last option, but not always).

Android/mac versions will be released after the public version to allow for any bug fixes to be included.

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
There have been several instances of players mentioning that changing the character's name doesn't stick, and it reverts to Max.

This doesn't seem to be a bug, but more of how renpy works. If you don't press Enter after entering text it doesn't commit the string.

I could change the 'Continue' button to 'Skip' and text under the input entry saying the need to press enter. That way, players are less likely to press the button unless they don't want to change the name.

Or, maybe add the text saying the need to press enter and leave the continue button as-is.

Or, remove the continue button completely and just have the 'press enter to continue' text.

If anyone else has ideas, please let me know.

• Thinking Face

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
A couple's pose caused the MC and one of the girls to shrink. Unfortunately, I didn't notice until they stood next to another character. That's a dozen renders to redo :mad:

• Sad

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Moving morph files to a backup Daz library is a must. A scene with 9x G8 females went from 20min loading time to 3min after dumping the majority of morphs.