• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN Ren'Py Mothers & Daughters [Development Thread]

hiya02

Oct 14, 2019
Don't skimp on the computer, but instead make it so player can "use" it to access exclusive content or progress the story arcs not available on lesser gadgets. Some games in here already have comps with more than just the plain vanilla messenger/xx-shop/broser stuff, so you might first take a look at those... :coffee:

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
You’re right, I shouldn’t skimp on the computer. But I also don’t want to come up with a whole list of features that add a ton of development time.

The original purpose of the computer is to interact with gamer girl.

Quickly brainstorming, other ideas are expanding the relationship app, photo library, social media. With the photo app you could find/steal a usb drive and look at the images.

Post any specific games you want me to check out of if you have specific ideas of games you want me to consider.

The smartphone code allows me to add apps after release, so things could be introduced as they are ‘discovered’ in game.

Reactions: Hrk19

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
In preparing some exclusive photos for the computer image app I thought about family photos, at least for the patch version anyway.

This made me think about the bikini photo in the living room. In the vanilla version it’s just a mother and daughter photo, which is fine. But in the patched version should it not contain the player? I looked at replacement patched renders, but there are too many with it in the background.

Therefore, I’ve come up with what I hope is a suitable in-game story reason why it’s just Catherine and Victoria. I hope you like this teaser…

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Reifon and Hrk19

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
I have played with a trial version of Marvelous Designer. Whilst I don't want to design every bit of clothing, I do think in some situations it gives an interesting result.

On the left is a Daz outfit. Right is something I quickly made in MD. (This is a very quick and rough design/render)

Might add MD as a Patreon goal.

View attachment stretch.webp

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Version 7. This replaces previous versions. It is not an update.

Changes
  • Textbox Transparency
  • Textbox Text Size
  • First version of computer system
  • Relationship app on computer
  • Photos app on computer
  • Send images from computer to smartphone
  • Option to delete images from smartphone
  • Option for random background image on smartphone
  • Fixed contact image cropping issue on smartphone
  • Look closer sound effect added
  • Sound effect in Catherine/Victoria scene added
  • Collectable image added to Catherine scene (bikini photo)
  • Tutorial updated to show more of the smartphone features (+intro of computer)
  • Walkthrough hints in Easy mode (switched off by default) available in settings app

Only the relationship and photos app work on the computer. The others don't do anything.

Hrk19

Jan 24, 2020
Version 7. This replaces previous versions. It is not an update.

Changes
  • Textbox Transparency
  • Textbox Text Size
  • First version of computer system
  • Relationship app on computer
  • Photos app on computer
  • Send images from computer to smartphone
  • Option to delete images from smartphone
  • Option for random background image on smartphone
  • Fixed contact image cropping issue on smartphone
  • Look closer sound effect added
  • Sound effect in Catherine/Victoria scene added
  • Collectable image added to Catherine scene (bikini photo)
  • Tutorial updated to show more of the smartphone features (+intro of computer)
  • Walkthrough hints in Easy mode (switched off by default) available in settings app

Only the relationship and photos app work on the computer. The others don't do anything.
So i was not able to hear any sound effect in the Catherine Victoria scene.
other than that, wow, you really have a detailed system for the phone and computer.
also, dang, that is a nice detailed walkthrough!
so will the walkthrough amount to a lot of work for the updates for you is it relatively easy and not very complicated for having it updated for every update?

Now, i assume, its just the music and textbox transparency left?
what kind of music are you thinking of by the way?

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
So i was not able to hear any sound effect in the Catherine Victoria scene.

other than that, wow, you really have a detailed system for the phone and computer.
also, dang, that is a nice detailed walkthrough!
so will the walkthrough amount to a lot of work for the updates for you is it relatively easy and not very complicated for having it updated for every update?

Now, i assume, its just the music and textbox transparency left?
what kind of music are you thinking of by the way?
The sound effect in the Catherine Victoria scene is when Catherine lifts her skirt and Victoria shouts at her.

Glad you liked the smartphone and computer. That's the part which has taken the most time to get right.

I created a custom menu to integrate the walkthrough. It will be part of the process as I create new scenes, rather than added afterwards. I will probably remove the 'Remembered' hint as quite a lot of choices are remembered anyway.

Textbox transparency is in this version, as is textbox text size. Based on the number of times I seen it mentioned in other games I thought it would be harder to implement than it actually was.

Completing the remaining computer apps, testing the trophy system (mostly complete) and music. Although I'm unsure on music as it's something I generally turn down in games and just listen to my own music in the background.

Hrk19

Jan 24, 2020
The sound effect in the Catherine Victoria scene is when Catherine lifts her skirt and Victoria shouts at her.

Glad you liked the smartphone and computer. That's the part which has taken the most time to get right.

I created a custom menu to integrate the walkthrough. It will be part of the process as I create new scenes, rather than added afterwards. I will probably remove the 'Remembered' hint as quite a lot of choices are remembered anyway.

Textbox transparency is in this version, as is textbox text size. Based on the number of times I seen it mentioned in other games I thought it would be harder to implement than it actually was.

Completing the remaining computer apps, testing the trophy system (mostly complete) and music. Although I'm unsure on music as it's something I generally turn down in games and just listen to my own music in the background.
i see, well, to be honest, more often than not, i also turn down music as its grating on the ears and very rarely does it not bother me.
but i dont mind either way

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
My aim is to make a push to get the outstanding features finished. If anyone has noticed bugs, please let me know.

I’ve added a related display to the relationship app on the computer. This allows you to see who’s related to whom.

The ‘remembered’ hint will no longer show in the walkthrough and all choices will now be remembered instead.

Money/jobs seemed to integrate well into the story. I’ve changed things such as helping out to become a job. When you visit Patricia in the clothes shop you would have had an option to help. Now you take a job. The same with Samantha in the coffee shop.

Jobs are not done in a grinding way like a mini-game. You’ll have a scene to play through with choices just like any other scene, it’s just you’ll get some money at the end of it. And of course you’ll be expected to regularly turn up, whereas before you wouldn’t have.

There will be a calendar on the computer to show any upcoming commitments you’ve made.

Plan is for at least one group event per in-game week. The first will be a theater and you’ll have tasks to invite specific characters. For a later event you can help Patricia’s struggling clothes shop by updating the shop’s website. That will involve finding characters willing to pose for photos. So choosing which job to go for will come with benefits….

Tag wise will have certain characters to suit. These will fit with these characters’ personalities, hopefully give something to those who like these and allow easy avoidance for those that don’t. As an example male-dom, fem-dom, lesbian (well threesomes), voyeurism, exhibitionism, interracial, blackmail.

The elephant in the room is ntr. Some of the women do have male partners, and will likely continue their relationships with them. Especially the milfs who are married. There’s also a blackmail part of the story where a male character (not the player) is blackmailing one of the women for sex. The player will be able to handle it in different ways. One of which would involve filming it and blackmailing the guy himself.

Hrk19

Jan 24, 2020
My aim is to make a push to get the outstanding features finished. If anyone has noticed bugs, please let me know.

I’ve added a related display to the relationship app on the computer. This allows you to see who’s related to whom.

The ‘remembered’ hint will no longer show in the walkthrough and all choices will now be remembered instead.

Money/jobs seemed to integrate well into the story. I’ve changed things such as helping out to become a job. When you visit Patricia in the clothes shop you would have had an option to help. Now you take a job. The same with Samantha in the coffee shop.

Jobs are not done in a grinding way like a mini-game. You’ll have a scene to play through with choices just like any other scene, it’s just you’ll get some money at the end of it. And of course you’ll be expected to regularly turn up, whereas before you wouldn’t have.

There will be a calendar on the computer to show any upcoming commitments you’ve made.

Plan is for at least one group event per in-game week. The first will be a theater and you’ll have tasks to invite specific characters. For a later event you can help Patricia’s struggling clothes shop by updating the shop’s website. That will involve finding characters willing to pose for photos. So choosing which job to go for will come with benefits….

Tag wise will have certain characters to suit. These will fit with these characters’ personalities, hopefully give something to those who like these and allow easy avoidance for those that don’t. As an example male-dom, fem-dom, lesbian (well threesomes), voyeurism, exhibitionism, interracial, blackmail.

The elephant in the room is ntr. Some of the women do have male partners, and will likely continue their relationships with them. Especially the milfs who are married. There’s also a blackmail part of the story where a male character (not the player) is blackmailing one of the women for sex. The player will be able to handle it in different ways. One of which would involve filming it and blackmailing the guy himself.
are the job features and the other edits available in the version currently to download or is that just what you have completed on your end?

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
are the job features and the other edits available in the version currently to download or is that just what you have completed on your end?
No that's just the story. I haven't moved on to creating those scenes yet.

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Version 8 - This replaces previous versions. It is not an update.

Changes
  • Schedule app added to Smartphone and Computer
  • Settings app working on Computer (with info for each option)
  • Help app added to Computer (copy of info screen from main menu)
  • Location choice screen images added
  • Location choice screen walk through hints added
  • Related people info added to Relationship apps
  • Relevant info section added to Relationship apps
  • Trophy added (Catherine) with default sound alert (can disabled in settings apps)
  • Trophy app working on Smartphone
  • Trophies added to main menu (Persistent trophies)
  • Remembered hint removed from walkthrough and all choices now remembered
  • Save name option added
  • Several sound effects added
Additional scenes added involving the following characters
  • Zoe
  • Amy
  • Margaret
  • Cynthia
  • Kimberley
  • Patricia
  • Haylee
  • Talia
  • Ralph
  • Noe
  • Theadore

I've decided not to add general background music. That's not to say there won't be music when scene appropriate.

This version contains approximately 500 renders.

Hrk19

Jan 24, 2020
Version 8 - This replaces previous versions. It is not an update.

Changes
  • Schedule app added to Smartphone and Computer
  • Settings app working on Computer (with info for each option)
  • Help app added to Computer (copy of info screen from main menu)
  • Location choice screen images added
  • Location choice screen walk through hints added
  • Related people info added to Relationship apps
  • Relevant info section added to Relationship apps
  • Trophy added (Catherine) with default sound alert (can disabled in settings apps)
  • Trophy app working on Smartphone
  • Trophies added to main menu (Persistent trophies)
  • Remembered hint removed from walkthrough and all choices now remembered
  • Save name option added
  • Several sound effects added
Additional scenes added involving the following characters
  • Zoe
  • Amy
  • Margaret
  • Cynthia
  • Kimberley
  • Patricia
  • Haylee
  • Talia
  • Ralph
  • Noe
  • Theadore

I've decided not to add general background music. That's not to say there won't be music when scene appropriate.

This version contains approximately 500 renders.
Wow, just played through it, that was a lot of variety.
also nice compression there too, keeping the size small despite the render size.
now, one thing that did stand out was the shutter sound when you "look", i feel like if we could get an option to disable or enable that sound, it would be great, cause in some cases you look more than once and keep having to hear that shutter sound, can get a bit grating when it disturbs the convo too much.

Also, some typos i found, when the mc picks up Catherine, the choice says " talling than her" instead of taller than her.
another one when ralph tells mc to come after having fun with his mom, and mc says Donno man instead of dunno man.

Other than that, everything seems to be great!

Oh and, will you have animations too in the future for when we get sex scenes and all?

So, im guessing the feature development is mostly done now?

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
I can add the shutter sound as an option in the settings app.

Thanks for finding the typos. Corrected for the next version.

Development wise is pretty good. Some things to clean up, placeholders to fix and still got to sort the app for gamergirl. Version 9 should be the last for development.

Want to at least get a full playable day in the game before I push out a release version.

Render wise the fitness center needs looking at. I had created the various areas around a small courtyard to allow you to see into the other areas. I think it looks good, but it’s a killer for render time. I also hate how the fitness reception area turned out.

I want to do animations, but only have one rig which I also use for my normal work. I can’t currently allocate the time an animation takes to render without it impacting other work.

Reactions: Hrk19 and Reifon

Hrk19

Jan 24, 2020
I can add the shutter sound as an option in the settings app.

Thanks for finding the typos. Corrected for the next version.

Development wise is pretty good. Some things to clean up, placeholders to fix and still got to sort the app for gamergirl. Version 9 should be the last for development.

Want to at least get a full playable day in the game before I push out a release version.

Render wise the fitness center needs looking at. I had created the various areas around a small courtyard to allow you to see into the other areas. I think it looks good, but it’s a killer for render time. I also hate how the fitness reception area turned out.

I want to do animations, but only have one rig which I also use for my normal work. I can’t currently allocate the time an animation takes to render without it impacting other work.
Yeah an option for the shutter sound would be great.

Also, regarding the fitness center, its fine, take your time.
Same for the full playable day, take as much time as you need for at minimum a playable day.
On that note though, how long do you think a day would take? I mean for an individual update not this one specifically?
2 months? 3?
I don't really mind, just asking for informations sake.
Oh and also, please don't shorten them even further for early release, half releases just feel underwhelming

Oh and regarding the one rig, it's fine, hopefully you will get quite a bit of patrons starting from first release.
Till then, keep up what you are doing.

Oh one thing I have to ask that I forgot, the sex scenes when they eventually come, they won't be too short and underwhelming would they?

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
I hope the sex scenes don’t end up underwhelming. I will try my best to not disappoint.

This is currently a hobby, so I think monthly updates would be too ambitious. Once the core functionality is done and I switch mainly to rendering I will get a better idea of how long it takes.

Do you have any preference of which girl you like the most so far? Did you feel each had a distinct personality?

Hrk19

Jan 24, 2020
I hope the sex scenes don’t end up underwhelming. I will try my best to not disappoint.

This is currently a hobby, so I think monthly updates would be too ambitious. Once the core functionality is done and I switch mainly to rendering I will get a better idea of how long it takes.

Do you have any preference of which girl you like the most so far? Did you feel each had a distinct personality?
So far i like Victoria, Cynthia and Kimberley the most.
Victoria due to being a milf and MC's mom and Cynthia, well i certainly want to see how the relationship develops between the three of them, not to mention Kimberley and Catherine will have their own gripes with it.
Kimberley because i fine her absolutely adorable.
Oh and i really like Ralph, love the friendship he has with the MC and how he doesnt really mind MC trying to bang his mom.
though, you said earlier in this thread that Ralph wont like it if you date his sister, im guessing thats to be seen in a future update?
oh and regarding the other girls, well, too little is so far seen for me to give an opinion of them.
But regarding the personalities, yeah, the variety is really nice here, better than almost all of the games on this site barring a few.
So, i can say without a doubt, i really enjoyed it and did not get bored even a bit

Also i know you said, you might think about pregnancy, but if you could add that too then we could get stuff like lactation and allt hat stuff too.

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Yep, Ralph seems more than happy for the MC to bang his mom… Will that be the case if you actually succeed? ;)

In the current version, depending on dialogue choices. Ralph will flat out tell you to stay away from his sister. Kim also suggests Ralph wouldn’t be happy with you two hooking up. Although you can’t get both those scenes in one play through as they’re on opposite paths.

Ralph is an important character in so much as he can cover for you or do other things you might need. If the relationship level drops then he’ll be less likely to do stuff for you.

You’ll be able to hide any potential relationship with Kim from Ralph, but that may require sacrifices. Things such as public displays of affection etc…

There will also be the option to not care what Ralph thinks. You may then need to make friends with other male characters or utilize female characters.

Or you might be able to get Ralph on side and him be ok with you banging his sister. What might Ralph want that you can arrange….

Pregnancy would be further down the road, if at all. It doesn’t fit in the first part of the story, and you have to get the MC laid first!!

Hrk19

Jan 24, 2020
Yep, Ralph seems more than happy for the MC to bang his mom… Will that be the case if you actually succeed? ;)

In the current version, depending on dialogue choices. Ralph will flat out tell you to stay away from his sister. Kim also suggests Ralph wouldn’t be happy with you two hooking up. Although you can’t get both those scenes in one play through as they’re on opposite paths.

Ralph is an important character in so much as he can cover for you or do other things you might need. If the relationship level drops then he’ll be less likely to do stuff for you.

You’ll be able to hide any potential relationship with Kim from Ralph, but that may require sacrifices. Things such as public displays of affection etc…

There will also be the option to not care what Ralph thinks. You may then need to make friends with other male characters or utilize female characters.

Or you might be able to get Ralph on side and him be ok with you banging his sister. What might Ralph want that you can arrange….

Pregnancy would be further down the road, if at all. It doesn’t fit in the first part of the story, and you have to get the MC laid first!!
pregnancy being in the later part is what i meant.
with that out of the way, cant wait for the full proper version now