JustNotFatal

Apr 27, 2017
I want to like this game but the bugs (specifically simultaneously firing characters) and the vagueness about how to progress* just drives me nuts.

*I've increased girl stats but I'm stuck on just kissing.
It's been brought up before but for Samantha are you going to increase her 60% limit for those you chose to expose a character so it's equal to the marriage route?

**Literally 3 mins later I finally progress with Bree. Seems completely random.

Reactions: Tanaxanth

N7

セブン
Staff member
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
I have been thinking, with a lot of game on here the Patreon version is up shortly after release but not with this game, and given that the dev of this game is both a well-known member and a Donor of f95zone I have to wonder if much like mainstream gaming journalism there is a degree of favouritism at play in keeping the Patreon version off the site because of the dev's status on the site.
Him being a donor doesn't have to do with anything if people want to share the links they are free to do so, you don't see us deleting them if you want the update that bad 1- you can pledge to the dev 2- wait like the rest of us

updated op thanks to a donor.

fauxplayer

Engaged Member
Uploader
Donor
May 28, 2017
I want to like this game but the bugs (specifically simultaneously firing characters) and the vagueness about how to progress* just drives me nuts.

It's been brought up before but for Samantha are you going to increase her 60% limit for those you chose to expose a character so it's equal to the marriage route?

I'm in the same boat. There is so much amazing content in this game!!

But, and it's a big BUT... It's just so goddamn fucking frustrating to play. A game like this should reward a player for being clever and figuring things out. But here, you THINK you have something figured out, then you get stonewalled and figure, rationally, that you should try something else, and then that doesn't work either, and you go around in circles only to realize that your first instict was correct and it wasn't about cleverness at all but just a random roll of the dice. Throw in all the bugs, and it's just a non-starter for me. This game ticks so many of my boxes--I'd happily be a $10 patron or more, but silly randomizers and sloppy bugs just kill it for me. The dev should just take a few hours to actually playtest his own game through the eyes of people who desparately want to enjoy it so that maybe, you know, they can enjoy it. So much awesomeness here that isn't being enjoyed because of easily corrected game mechanics...

EDIT: For example, if one of the girls drops a hint that you cleverly realize means you should visit the arcade on the weekend or the park in the afternoon or her room in the evening, then the subsequent event should either trigger every time to reward the player for figuring it out or, if the dev for some arcane reason enjoys injecting randomness, there should be a clear line of text that lets the player know they're on the right track and should simply try another time. Jesus, how hard would it be to write something along the lines of "She's not here today, but I should try again because something-something-I'm-on-the-right-path." @Andrealphus spends too many hours here answering questions about how to progress in his game when he could be working crafting a game that doesn't require so many questions!

Really, I enjoy difficult games. I enjoy that feeling of being stumped and not knowing what to do next, but then figuring it out through cleverness or even dumb luck. But from my experience with this game, every time I'm not making progress I'm left with the feeling that it's either a bug or a random element, which saps all the enjoyment out of playing. Bummer, because like I said, there's too much great content in this game that's hidden behind bugs or randomizing scripts.

Tanaxanth

Donor
Mar 2, 2018

But, and it's a big BUT... It's just so goddamn fucking frustrating to play. A game like this should reward a player for being clever and figuring things out. But here, you THINK you have something figured out, then you get stonewalled and figure, rationally, that you should try something else, and then that doesn't work either, and you go around in circles only to realize it wasn't about cleverness at all but just a random roll of the dice. Throw in all the bugs, and it's just a non-starter for me. This game ticks so many of my boxes--I'd happily be a $10 patron or more, but silly randomizers and sloppy bugs just kill it for me. The dev should just take a few hours to actually playtest his own game through the eyes of people who desparately want to enjoy it so that maybe, you know, they can enjoy it. So much awesomeness here that isn't being enjoyed because of easily corrected game mechanics...
Thank you for this. I was curious if I should download it or not and I think I'll wait til this is hopefully addressed. Because this is a serious pet peeve of mine in games.

Reactions: RogueKnightUK

Cebrail

Jul 4, 2017
Much as I love this game, for it's graphics and humor, it has to be the most buggy shit I've ever seen in this forum. Everything is broken, try to load a game ?, nah randomly places you elsewhere, go somewhere and talk to a person, suddenly 2 show up, or none, or they vanish, or bla bla bla.

Stop developing the story and FIX THE FUCKING GAME!

Reactions: lumley

Andrealphus

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2017

But, and it's a big BUT... It's just so goddamn fucking frustrating to play. A game like this should reward a player for being clever and figuring things out. But here, you THINK you have something figured out, then you get stonewalled and figure, rationally, that you should try something else, and then that doesn't work either, and you go around in circles only to realize that your first instict was correct and it wasn't about cleverness at all but just a random roll of the dice. Throw in all the bugs, and it's just a non-starter for me. This game ticks so many of my boxes--I'd happily be a $10 patron or more, but silly randomizers and sloppy bugs just kill it for me. The dev should just take a few hours to actually playtest his own game through the eyes of people who desparately want to enjoy it so that maybe, you know, they can enjoy it. So much awesomeness here that isn't being enjoyed because of easily corrected game mechanics...

EDIT: For example, if one of the girls drops a hint that you cleverly realize means you should visit the arcade on the weekend or the park in the afternoon or her room in the evening, then the subsequent event should either trigger every time to reward the player for figuring it out or, if the dev for some arcane reason enjoys injecting randomness, there should be a clear line of text that lets the player know they're on the right track and should simply try another time. Jesus, how hard would it be to write something along the lines of "She's not here today, but I should try again because something-something-I'm-on-the-right-path." @Andrealphus spends too many hours here answering questions about how to progress in his game when he could be working crafting a game that doesn't require so many questions!

Really, I enjoy difficult games. I enjoy that feeling of being stumped and not knowing what to do next, but then figuring it out through cleverness or even dumb luck. But from my experience with this game, every time I'm not making progress I'm left with the feeling that it's either a bug or a random element, which saps all the enjoyment out of playing. Bummer, because like I said, there's too much great content in this game that's hidden behind bugs or randomizing scripts.
Randomness in the girl's schedule is the only randomness in the game right now.
The only major bugs left are the "teleport bug" and "weird date" bugs which I never had myself, so I am waiting for someone to provide me with a save for it. All in all the game is fairly playable.
Anyway as you are not the only one complaining here about the schedule randomness I started a poll on the patreon to see if I should remove it.

JesterHell

Jun 2, 2017
I never asked or was offered any favors from F95, I am a donor because I am a player and I like this forum ;)
I gave like $5 and that was 3 months ago, maybe more so I don't think it would warrant any favors anyway ^^
I also voiced many times that I am not complaining that my game is shared here, just that I would not do it myself and that if my cheat code is leaked I will change it ASAP.
I'll admit that my releases are a bit buggy at first mainly because I try to cram too much in each update and I often miss the time to playtest properly (but it's better than it was).
The only think I say is that the patreon is funding my game projects, so far I have never paid myself anything so if you like what I do and want me to keep doing it (and start doing more) you can always drop me a few dollars.
Honestly I am thankful for the help provided by this forum and it's community so far, be it by helping find bugs or helping make the game known.
I mean it was a stretch and admittedly unlikely but I'm cynical so I tend to suspect "dodgy" back room dealings first.

I fully understand the Patreon model but I've only just found this game and will wait and see production time-frames and quality before pledging anything and even then I'll go for the "cup of coffee" method rather then the monthly pledge as I tend to binge for a bit then wait a few month before playing again, plus I've been burned by pledging monthly before.

You do list your "income" so you rate higher in term of trustworthiness then the dev of Strive for Power and the quality of what currently exists in game is defiantly high enough to justify it but I've pledged before only to have the development stop shortly after because "reasons" (breeding season) so I'm weary of pledging to Patreon creators now days.

Him being a donor doesn't have to do with anything if people want to share the links they are free to do so, you don't see us deleting them if you want the update that bad 1- you can pledge to the dev 2- wait like the rest of us

updated op thanks to a donor.
Its not wanting the update badly as I've been playing the free build a, I'm just cynical and expect there to be "backroom BS" so when I saw a 18-12-1 version that was broken but none of the updates since my mind immediately asks why and when I saw the games Dev was so active I think secret backroom deals not because its the most logical reason but because that's how my mind works .

I find it amusing that some people seem to think I just can't wait and need it now, I haven't played Summertime saga since version 0.14 because I'm waiting for the pregnancy and dating stuff to get done so that there is more to sink my teeth into then a short one character update, as it stands I haven't played this game before so I'm binging for a bit but I'll drop it for a couple of months once I've finished the current content and come back once there is enough new stuff to justify another binge.

Only two game are currently on my "Must have it now" list, Studio Why's Pony Waifu and Mean Draco's Teraurge.

cavaemon

May 29, 2018
i love the update and im sure (hoping actually) that the new characters are coming next year to the public? I love bree and sasha but when I saw kleo ( I forget name and yeah im lazy :) ) I was like " I have sasha but... DAMN I WANT YOU TOO!" so maybe a time frame of when new characters come in or est would be cool and thx :)

fauxplayer

Engaged Member
Uploader
Donor
May 28, 2017
Randomness in the girl's schedule is the only randomness in the game right now.
The only major bugs left are the "teleport bug" and "weird date" bugs which I never had myself, so I am waiting for someone to provide me with a save for it. All in all the game is fairly playable.
Anyway as you are not the only one complaining here about the schedule randomness I started a poll on the patreon to see if I should remove it.
You don't need to remove the randomness. Just make sure the players know they're on the right track. Randomness that leads players on wild goose chases just doesn't make for interesting or rewarding gameplay. Randomness that requires some additional grinding if there's other stuff to do anyway is fine if the player knows they're on the right path.

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
You don't need to remove the randomness. Just make sure the players know they're on the right track. Randomness that leads players on wild goose chases just doesn't make for interesting or rewarding gameplay. Randomness that requires some additional grinding if there's other stuff to do anyway is fine if the player knows they're on the right path.
Eh, I think randomness just sucks period. It just artificially inflates the length of games. If it takes 3 tries to pop an event and you can call your game 5 hours long instead of 2 it just looks better for people for some reason. If by removing the randomness nothing else changes in the game other then how long it takes to play it is in for the wrong reasons.

Reactions: kxxx

telouse

Aug 5, 2018
i like the game, loveee the artstyle. wish it was animated, the only bug i got was after some point, whenever i talked to a girl inside the house or really anywhere inside, after they are finished talking i get put into the city area of where to go, like home, pub, ect. i think it only happened when they would ask me if i have time to talk.

3.60 star(s) 272 Votes